Coby's thread of portraits.

CobyTheGoober

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol its kinda hard to crit sometimes because there are things that i wouldnt do but theyre just fine but at this part

https://i.gyazo.com/1dd32e0a3b116e025245627c857a2350.png

the hair is going straight down and then kinks left and gets thicker too suddenly. should be smoother.

there's 3 shades of red on the sprite but i think you only need 2 because one of them is hard to see. the flower should be outlined more and have stronger shading at least on the left side because it looks too 2d right now

Looks great!

(I agree, it's pretty good and at this point it's "things I would've done differently because personal tastes". You're at 15 colors, I'd add a dark red value so you can outline the clothing and flower a bit better into everything else. Eyebrow seems a little asymmetrical atm. The gold-colored shoulderpiece is a little hard to identify (what is it?). I'd change the green bars right under the flower so they curved a bit more with the head, and you could alias the hair to the face with the darker skintones as well, as opposed to just the darkest green. But really, you're doing well, keep at it!^^)

you've really improved from where you started off.

Like legit, my friends agree with me here. Keep improving !

Thanks a lot, I've been spending most of my free time spriting hoping that I would get better.

Looks great!

(I agree, it's pretty good and at this point it's "things I would've done differently because personal tastes". You're at 15 colors, I'd add a dark red value so you can outline the clothing and flower a bit better into everything else. Eyebrow seems a little asymmetrical atm. The gold-colored shoulderpiece is a little hard to identify (what is it?). I'd change the green bars right under the flower so they curved a bit more with the head, and you could alias the hair to the face with the darker skintones as well, as opposed to just the darkest green. But really, you're doing well, keep at it!^^)

As for the personal taste thing, I would have made it differently, but since it was a request, I stuck to what the requester's design for the character. As for the gold colour shoulder piece, it's actually supposed to be her arm lol. As for the green strip of hair under the flower, guessing that it should curve upwards??

• 2 weeks later...

The Hinoka sprite was not looking as I wanted to, so I decided to re do it lol.

Anyways, about the green haired girl, I also re did it, as the portrait was actually kinda old.

*New on the left, old on the right*

Kf1XNDX.png

QRS3W9I.png Another portrait, requested by the same person.

For the green haired girl, the body looks better(the necks main shade is pure white though), but the face and hair are worse IMO. Her face has strange shading on both cheeks, the far one lacks shading and the near one has odd extra shading at the jaw. Her eyes are strangely offset and the irises seem more like rectangles than circles. Her head is too tall now and the hard line at the edge of her bangs make them look disconnected from the rest of her hair. The new placement of the flower seems too high, I usually see accessories pretty close to the ear, this one seems like its on the upper side of her head. The bangs themselves are pretty chunky. On the old one you had some strange size changes and angles, but I think the new one has more noticeable problems.

For the purple hair girl I feel like her bangs should end lower, at least here2beaf5f292bad2311910b5f3eb7b88c7.pngShe has extreme shading on her near cheek and her head proportions are weird, she's very top heavy. Body looks nice. Keep it up!

Edited by Tao

For the purple hair girl I feel like her bangs should end lower, at least here2beaf5f292bad2311910b5f3eb7b88c7.pngShe has extreme shading on her near cheek and her head proportions are weird, she's very top heavy. Body looks nice. Keep it up!

Is it just that she's top heavy, or is their more weird proportions? Go in to more depth about it?

Yeah, too much head above the eyes and she needs more space between her eyes and for her whole face to be widened. Her ear is pretty high up too.

aw pigtail girl looks like such a bitch <3

although I'm not sure if the face shading on pinky is right. Something tells me that band of darkskin doesn't need to be there

Edited by ghast

aw pigtail girl looks like such a bitch <3

although I'm not sure if the face shading on pinky is right. Something tells me that band of darkskin doesn't need to be there

Yeah, she's supposed to basically supposed to be blue Severa.

As for the band of darkskin, what are you exactly talking about? The clip on the part separating the ponytail and the rest of the hair or?

Edited by CobyTheGoober

The first girl's bangs look a lot better, nice job.

I think these are better proportions for this one's face. The top of the head could maybe be moved down a pixel as well. She had a lot of shading on the near side of her face, sometimes guys have cheekbone shading but not so much on girls. Non face edits were pretty lazy so i would ignore those.

8dnURdR.png

For your hair, some parts of it look really fluffy/not really hair like enough, specifically the ponytails and far side bangs. They look really thick and not quite right, unsure how to explain/address it, sorry. For blue severa, I would just have her tails go behind her body instead of in front. Putting them in front you have to adjust for how the hair falls over the shoulders and the far one is in a really unreasonable spot, like it seems like it starts around her ear somewhere. You might want to make the hair tie a little bigger and have it go like a pixel above the rest of the tail. Right now it almost looks like the tail has a really slim start and the tie is kind of hard to read. Your far side bangs are often flat and undetailed compared to the near side ones.

Edited by Tao

• 2 weeks later...

spike's hair doesn't all look like it connects to his head, it almost looks like his hair is a parasite attached to his head and sucking his brains out or something more lewd.

and i like purple-hair black-armor a lot more now, I really like the.. scar? it reads like a scar or birthmark on her nose.

Yeah, the new guy's hair starts too far back on his head. The near side of his jaw has an odd jump in the line and I think I would make his chin a little wider. The neck is crazy, the trim from the armor is bleeding in and it looks like his neck veins are way too far back as well as the neck being a little wide in general.