Chrono Cross Draft Ruleset (And possible draft if there is interest)

Jedi

So Batter and I were discussing how a Chrono Cross draft would work and this is the resulting ruleset

- This is a Draft for 6 players
- The Winner is whomever can get their entire team recruited and have the lowest combined stat total of all their drafted characters when the final boss is slain
- Undrafted characters may recruit undrafted characters, otherwise undrafted characters must be KO'd if in your actual party
- Serge, Lynx, and Harle are free
- Kidd is free for all players until the end of Viper Manor
- Guile, Pierre and Nikki can be drafted twice, due to the way Viper Manor works
- Starky is free during the underwater passage to his ship
- Drafting one of Guile, Pierre, Nikki locks you from the other two as they are all route specific
- A major branch in the game is after the Viper Manor sequence, in Guldove. Korcha will ask you if you can help Kid. Whether you say yes or no determines which three characters will join your party (not all at once, though): Korcha, Razzly, and Mel, or Macha, Glenn, and Doc. So drafting Korcha, Razzly or Mel will lock you from the other 3 and vice versa.
- 3 characters will be left over
Teams
Characters

Poshul
Kidd
Leena
Mojo
Guile X2
Nikki X2
Pierre X2
Korcha
Macha
Glenn
Luccia
NeoFio
Razzly
Greco
Pip
Mel
Doc
Sprigg
Radius
Zappa
Van
Funguy
Norris
Skelly
Draggy
Starky
Irenes
Sneff
Janice
Karsh
Zoah
Orcha
Grobyc
Riddel
Fargo
Viper
Marcy
Miki
Leah
Steena
Orlha
Turnip
Edited by Jedi

oh lord uhhhhh maybe

*Edit*

Insert rule-criticism here.

So Batter and I were discussing how a Chrono Cross draft would work and this is the resulting ruleset

- This is a Draft for 6 players
6 players is fine
- The winner is whomever can get their entire team recruited and have the least In game time when the Time Devourer (The final boss of the main route) is slain
Is there no other way to determine route completion et al? I might consider including a minimum number of stars, but then again I'm probably being trivial here.
- Undrafted characters may recruit undrafted characters, otherwise undrafted characters must be KO'd if in your actual party
Norris and Grobyc are tied if I recall, you need Norris to recruit Grobyc. This is kinda lame since Grobyc is an incredible unit,
- Serge, Lynx, and Harle are free
Fine
- Kidd is free for all players until the end of Viper Manor
I would honestly allow either Kidd or Leena to be free in this instance, and just ban the players from drafting in this situation. Kidd joins later anyway and if the player doesn't get Leena then they can't possibly recruit Poshul regardless, limiting draft options.
- For the 3 drafters who do not get any of the Viper Manor Trio (Guile, Pierre, Nikki), you are allowed to pick whichever of the three routes and get them free for Viper Manor
How about you just open up drafting for Guile/Pierre/Nikki, but allow them each to be selected twice. This way you're influencing the playstyle of all six players, rather than just four in theory
- Starky is free during the underwater passage to his ship
This bitch'd better be free
- Drafting one of Guile, Pierre, Nikki locks you from the other two as they are all route specific
Fine
- A major branch in the game is after the Viper Manor sequence, in Guldove. Korcha will ask you if you can help Kid. Whether you say yes or no determines which three characters will join your party (not all at once, though): Korcha, Razzly, and Mel, or Macha, Glenn, and Doc. So drafting Korcha, Razzly or Mel will lock you from the other 3 and vice versa, unless force picked
Fine
Teams
Characters

Poshul
Kidd
Leena
Mojo
Guile
Nikki
Pierre
Korcha
Macha
Glenn
Luccia
NeoFio
Razzly
Greco
Pip
Mel
Doc
Sprigg
Radius
Zappa
Van
Funguy
Norris
Skelly
Draggy
Starky
Irenes
Sneff
Janice
Karsh
Zoah
Orcha
Grobyc
Riddel
Fargo
Viper
Marcy
Miki
Leah
Steena
Orlha
Turnip

*Edit edit*

Norris joins automatically because I'm pretty sure his sequence in Viper Manor is a forced section of the game. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Edited by Elieson

Lol, if there is any RPG besides Fire Emblem where drafts can work it's gotta be this one with it's ridiculous ~50 party members. Interested in seeing how this turns out. But I agree with Elieson that I don't think in-game time is a good measure of completion.

Here's the justifications for the rules that were criticized by Elie, though I do agree with one change he suggested

Is there no other way to determine route completion et al? I might consider including a minimum number of stars, but then again I'm probably being trivial here.

There are no other ways that the game automatically records. Minimum stars just means minimum sidequests, so it kinda equates to minimum game time. The fights in this game are surprisngly low in terms of RNG reliance so I think in game time is a great way to determine who would win.

Norris and Grobyc are tied if I recall, you need Norris to recruit Grobyc. This is kinda lame since Grobyc is an incredible unit,
IIRC the only case for character specific recruiting is Poshul recruiting Turnip, Grobyc recruits himself in the storyline. Also I'm glad someone else likes Grobyc :P
I would honestly allow either Kidd or Leena to be free in this instance, and just ban the players from drafting in this situation. Kidd joins later anyway and if the player doesn't get Leena then they can't possibly recruit Poshul regardless, limiting draft options.
You can actually recruit Poshul during the very beginning in Home World, you just need a Heckran Bone from some random place then use it near him.
How about you just open up drafting for Guile/Pierre/Nikki, but allow them each to be selected twice. This way you're influencing the playstyle of all six players, rather than just four in theory
This works, though it means 3 characters wouldn't be drafted if my math is correct. Goodbye Skelly/Korcha
Norris joins automatically because I'm pretty sure his sequence in Viper Manor is a forced section of the game. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
He does, guess the source I was using was wrong lol

There are no other ways that the game automatically records. Minimum stars just means minimum sidequests, so it kinda equates to minimum game time. The fights in this game are surprisngly low in terms of RNG reliance so I think in game time is a great way to determine who would win.

That's what I mean though. Unless you guys would support not recruiting units that you drafted, some people will be facing obscenely higher amounts of Star acquisition which sucks up time. Adding like 3-5 stars forces players to at least try to average things a bit better. Otherwise if I draft skelly fuck him i'm not recruiting skelly, he determines the entire run

IIRC the only case for character specific recruiting is Poshul recruiting Turnip, Grobyc recruits himself in the storyline. Also I'm glad someone else likes Grobyc :P

He's so damn good. He really recruits himself? Can you refresh me as to where, automatically? I always thought you needed Norris for it. Maybe I just always used him there.

You can actually recruit Poshul during the very beginning in Home World, you just need a Heckran Bone from some random place then use it near him.

Aww fuck i forgot about that.

This works, though it means 3 characters wouldn't be drafted if my math is correct. Goodbye Skelly/Korcha

Oh well Skelly/Korcha/idk Mel or somebody, good riddance

Lol, if there is any RPG besides Fire Emblem where drafts can work it's gotta be this one with it's ridiculous ~50 party members. Interested in seeing how this turns out. But I agree with Elieson that I don't think in-game time is a good measure of completion.

If you think thats ridiculous you probably haven't played Radiata Stories or Suikoden. :P:

So yeah after talking to Elie and Jedi a bit, the main factor of who wins will be the lowest stat total on Serge. So, minimizing random encounters and sidequests is ideal since random encounters give small stat gains. This will make the run challenging in terms of actually beating the difficult bosses in this game and not in terms of how fast we can get from point A to point B. Also the Viper Manor trio can be drafted twice as per Elie's suggestion, meaning three characters will go undrafted. good riddance

The OP should be updated with the final(?) rules shortly