Kanna optimization

MitoRequiem

Okay guys I didnt see Kanna in the unit optimization or anywhere unless im blind(i am sorta) so what is the deal with this character i cannot get her to deal big damage in Dark Blood or White Blood she just feels mediocre.

My Hoshido Kanna was !Hana

My Nohr one i completely forgot

And IK I married Velour

My IK one feels the strongest but not by much.

Im gonna go female Kamui in the NA version and I would love to read you guys builds for Kanna both Male and Female cause im at a lose.

I think most players use female Kanna's rather than male Kanna's, since mothers tend to have better mods. From what I've seen (from looking at PvP battles on YouTube, lmao):

Str Kanna: Charlotte!Velour!Kanna

Mag Kanna: Orochi!Shara!Kanna, Nyx!Shara!Kanna

I think Effie!Velour!Kanna is also a valid choice for a Str Kanna, although I'd recommend Charlotte over Effie (in terms of mods), since Charlotte has slightly higher Skl, and that might be more important since your Kanna will want to ORKO the target without much retaliation. As for Mag, I personally prefer the latter one since she's quicker, and might actually double. However, if you want to purely maximize Mag, Nyx!Foleo!Kanna has a higher Mag mod than either of the female Kanna's.

I don't think any of the other stats are really worth maximizing for Kanna, tbh...

Skl: Orochi and Berka carry the highest Skl mods, and they're not really good mothers... Orochi's an awesome Mag mom, yeah, but physical children (e.g. Grey, Kisaragi) have high Skl... and having a hybrid might not be the best idea on PvP. I guess you could try them on the story routes, though? They might serve some useful niches? But if you want high output ("I cannot get her to deal big damage..."), then a hybrid is not the best option.

Spd: Eponine and Midoriko are the quickest characters (with Setsuna/Azura as their mother), but they both carry a +1 Str/-1 Mag mod... I really wouldn't say that's the best for optimization. Sure, you can get Corrin to boost the Str mod, but... it's still quite lackluster, imo.

Lck: Really not worth it, especially since Crit Avoid got nerfed.

Def: PvP has a high emphasis on player phase, so tanks are a bad idea. And in the main campaign, you have a lot of tanky characters (maybe not so much in Birthright, but definitely in Conquest and in Revelations), so I don't see the need to make Kanna one. Especially since, in order to do that, you'd need a +Def Corrin, and having two OP tanks seems redundant.

Res: Same as above, except less useful since there aren't as many Mag users. You shouldn't waste Kanna on being a mage killer.

TL;DR: Str/Mag Kanna if you really want your Kanna to deal huge damage. If you want more, you should probably reclass out of Dark/White Blood into a purely physical/magical class.

Edited by Minischew

Ahh I see, I think right now I'm rockin a Effie!Velour!Kanna in IK my Kamui is going +MAG/-Luck(Really hard to get through early game without that imo on Lunatic anyways)

I'll for sure try out Charlotte!Velour!Kanna in the future though

If I end up wanting my Kanna to end on Dark/White Blood should I just have her in a pure Physical class for a good 10 levels than switch back?

Okay guys I didnt see Kanna in the unit optimization or anywhere unless im blind(i am sorta) so what is the deal with this character i cannot get her to deal big damage in Dark Blood or White Blood she just feels mediocre.

My Hoshido Kanna was !Hana

My Nohr one i completely forgot

And IK I married Velour

My IK one feels the strongest but not by much.

Im gonna go female Kamui in the NA version and I would love to read you guys builds for Kanna both Male and Female cause im at a lose.

You didn't remember your Assets and flaws for all of those playthroughs?

Ahh I see, I think right now I'm rockin a Effie!Velour!Kanna in IK my Kamui is going +MAG/-Luck(Really hard to get through early game without that imo on Lunatic anyways)

I'll for sure try out Charlotte!Velour!Kanna in the future though

If I end up wanting my Kanna to end on Dark/White Blood should I just have her in a pure Physical class for a good 10 levels than switch back?

If growths are (Variable + Child)/2, then your Kanna should have a 45% Str growth, and Dark/White Blood should boost it to 60%. But if you, say, reclass her to Berserker, then you'd get 70%. So if you keep her in the physical class for 10 levels, then you'd only get 1 more Str on average. So reclassing her for only 10 levels will probably not be that effective, especially if she's already promoted (and has to potentially deal with a new weapon rank late game).

When I suggested reclassing, I was mostly thinking of immediate reclassing, similarly to how people reclass Corrin to Ninja right away. (Of course, it's probably practical to keep Kanna in the Nohr Princess tree, since +15% Str is pretty decent and the class has good skills... but if you want to optimize your Kanna, I personally think reclassing might do her more good.)

You didn't remember your Assets and flaws for all of those playthroughs?

I went +MAG/-LCK for IK and Hoshido but +STR/-DEF(I didn't read the kanji correctly :<)

If growths are (Variable + Child)/2, then your Kanna should have a 45% Str growth, and Dark/White Blood should boost it to 60%. But if you, say, reclass her to Berserker, then you'd get 70%. So if you keep her in the physical class for 10 levels, then you'd only get 1 more Str on average. So reclassing her for only 10 levels will probably not be that effective, especially if she's already promoted (and has to potentially deal with a new weapon rank late game).

When I suggested reclassing, I was mostly thinking of immediate reclassing, similarly to how people reclass Corrin to Ninja right away. (Of course, it's probably practical to keep Kanna in the Nohr Princess tree, since +15% Str is pretty decent and the class has good skills... but if you want to optimize your Kanna, I personally think reclassing might do her more good.)

Ah I see, People have been reclassing Kamui to Ninja? That's interesting for what purpose and what assets? I personally went for Samurai and than Trueblade for Astra.

I didn't actually read the personal skill till now lol. That might be something to look into but I were to do something like that though I'd probably wanna go +MAG all the way.

Not really interested in marrying Syalla though cause ick I'd probably go for Ophelia.

Say, considering Kanna's personal skill, and the boosts that the dragonstone gives to defense, wouldn't Kanna work best as a tank?

I dunno... Dragonstones are just too bad to make it worth it imho.

I went +MAG/-LCK for IK and Hoshido but +STR/-DEF(I didn't read the kanji correctly :<)

Ah I see, People have been reclassing Kamui to Ninja? That's interesting for what purpose and what assets? I personally went for Samurai and than Trueblade for Astra.

I think it's mostly preference. People seem to like speedy classes, and Ninja emphasizes Spd. Also, Ninja provides debuff utility (which might not be as useful in Birthright, but perhaps more so in Conquest, especially if you reclass your butler/maid) and allows Corrin to keep swords (for Yato).

EDIT: I found this on GFAQ's, and this might be a better reason:

+Str/-Res Ninja Kamui turns literally all the hardest parts of Nohr into a joke. It's hilarious. The E rank Shuriken is really dreadful early on (2 Mt) but you can build it to D in 1x since +Str Ninja Kamui 2RKOs everything.

Edited by Minischew

Say, considering Kanna's personal skill, and the boosts that the dragonstone gives to defense, wouldn't Kanna work best as a tank?

White/Dark Blood isn't a good class for post game.

For in game playing, it is hard to make Kanna a good tank with (25%+X)/2 Def Growth. She can take some hits and deal some damage, just like a normal unit.

I think it's mostly preference. People seem to like speedy classes, and Ninja emphasizes Spd. Also, Ninja provides debuff utility (which might not be as useful in Birthright, but perhaps more so in Conquest, especially if you reclass your butler/maid) and allows Corrin to keep swords (for Yato).

EDIT: I found this on GFAQ's, and this might be a better reason:

This is really interesting, I'll try it out for my NA playthrough. Overall do you guys think the Dark/White Blood classes are just straight up weak? Now that I think more and more about it(I didn't really look into numbers tbh) I felt like my Kamui/Corrin was wrecking more face as a Trueblade and the only reason I decided to go back to Dark/White Blood is because I felt obligated to(And same thing with Kanna).

Perhaps my current IK options for Kanna(Not counting the marriage/buddy options) are Velour's class(Which I heard is pretty neat), Blacksmith, Trueblade and of course the Dark/White Blood classes.

I would have just gave Kanna Great Lord but I'm an idiot and gave it to Aqua not really considering the fact that hey Warp/Singing Aqua is better in every way and Aqua does not have the HP to support a Melee class but hey first playthrough mistakes I guess. In prep for when I do Lunatic for NA.

• 2 years later...