Awakening LTC Playthrough?

ruadath

16 members have voted

1. 1. If I end up doing an LTC, what difficulty should I choose?

• Normal
    • Hard
    • Lunatic
  2. 2. While there are no save states, I can "Suspend" abuse as in Radiant Dawn. Should I do this?

• Yes
    • No

Hey everybody, I've been thinking of doing an FE Awakening playthrough. You guys have seen plenty of these on the forums before, so what is different about this one? Well, I'll be using Citra, and recording an LTC (most likely), something which nobody has done before!

For those of you who don't know, Citra is a currently in development emulator for the 3DS. It currently doesn't support sound (or save states, or many other standard emulator features), but Awakening is playable without any major graphical glitches, so I think you guys might be interested? The game runs slowly during cutscenes, but IIRC nearly full speed during actual chapter playthroughs (and I can probably speed the frames up as necessary).

So are you guys interested? Let me know if you think this is a worthwhile endeavor (and fill out the topic poll!), and I'll probably decided what I'm doing in a couple of days or so. Keep in mind that I've never played this game before (and know almost nothing about the new mechanics), so it might not be a great idea to vote for Lunatic (unless you want to torture me).

Edited by ruadath

Hard.

I will say that Awakening LTCs are interesting to say the least. Pouring everything into Robin from the onset and having some Rescuer and Pegs will pretty much allow for one turn clear after one turn clear.

So I would suggest investing in Robin, Chrom, Lissa, Lucina, Sumia, and Cordelia. Use Frederick early on of course.

Alright, cool that's what I'm thinking at the moment. I barely know who any of the characters are, the plotline of the game, etc., but hopefully this won't be too difficult to figure out. I'll be using Chiki's 49 turn clear turncounts as a guide (and hopefully whatever suggestions you guys can offer). Obviously starting with 0 renown, no grinding, etc.

We'll see how things turn out!

^

I should add that Morgan is crucial for lategame strats.

Doing it blind doesn't sound like a good idea though, trust me.

EDIT: Chiki's LTC also isn't /exactly/ 49 turns. He omitted some maps when adding the turns, I think actually it's 52 or 53. Just so you don't get confused.

Edited by Gradivus.

I'd be interested in watching this, but I forbid you from starting anymore playthroughs until you finish all the ones you are already doing.

All of them?! *gulps*

In any case, videos will look something like this, if this is reasonable:

Forgive the poor mechanics, I'm not used to the controls of the emulator yet (which are pretty weird).

Edited by ruadath

Voted no, I don't think there are any places where intensive RNG abuse can shave turns, and especially given that hard seems to be the most likely mode atm, average stats on robin and mildly rigged stats on morgan via chapter restarting (which is really easy with all the 1-turns) will pretty easily be enough.

Do I absolutely need to get Morgan though (I think this requires an extra turn)? Is it not possible to achieve the same turncounts by rigging growths of other fliers?

EDIT: Based on what you're doing in your run, does rigging save turns on Lunatic?

Edited by ruadath

Maybe you can find a way to get them enough exp, but they're unlikely to hit galeforce, which is a hindrance to exp gain during the pile of 1-turn clears. If you rig Sumia a lot though, it might be feasible to skip Morgan. It's probably worth exploring.

When done a lot, definitely. Chapters 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12 and 23 all seem to have room for improvement with RNG abuse on Lunatic. I won't go into the details a lot since I doubt you know the maps very well, though most of the turn shaves are my clears minus one, probably a bit more for C23.

Maybe you can find a way to get them enough exp, but they're unlikely to hit galeforce, which is a hindrance to exp gain during the pile of 1-turn clears. If you rig Sumia a lot though, it might be feasible to skip Morgan. It's probably worth exploring.

Sorry to ask noob questions, but can you clarify what galeforce is and how it works? From what I understand, it's a skill that allows units to randomly obtain a chance at moving a second time in the same turn. How does one get this skill? I believe only fliers can get it? Do they need to be promoted or something, or hit a certain level?

It's a guaranteed extra action (think move stars without the random factor) when the unit kills an enemy, one unit can only activate it once each turn. Dark Flier (one of the Peg Knight promos) gets it automatically at level 15.

FWIW, it appears that RNG abuse isn't really possible as in RD (battle save also saves the RNG seed). Kind of disappointing but also makes this more fun I guess.

I suppose it also allows me to save RNG seeds on a chapter to make the videos more fluent (and perhaps remake them once sound is available?)

I barely know who any of the characters are, the plotline of the game, etc.,

Sorry to ask noob questions, but can you clarify what galeforce is and how it works?

Just sayin', but how are you going to make a quality LTC if you don't even know how the most important mobility feature in the game works, let alone the layout of the game?

I think an RNG-manipulated run would be cool to watch, but you really should play the game normally first. Otherwise, you're kind of setting yourself up for having everyone who's actually played the game wondering why you didn't just to X.

Do a 0% growths LTC on Hard Mode since Vincent put that out a bit ago. That is, assuming the emulator allows for it?

Edited by Irysa

^

I should add that Morgan is crucial for lategame strats.

Doing it blind doesn't sound like a good idea though, trust me.

EDIT: Chiki's LTC also isn't /exactly/ 49 turns. He omitted some maps when adding the turns, I think actually it's 52 or 53. Just so you don't get confused.

I don't recall him omitting any maps.

I will say that Awakening LTCs are interesting to say the least. Pouring everything into Robin from the onset and having some Rescuer and Pegs will pretty much allow for one turn clear after one turn clear.

It's really boring to watch someone do it.

0% sounds a lot more interesting since Robin won't be very useful then.

I don't recall him omitting any maps.

Premonition and paralogue 12 were left out, see here.

Also seconding 0% growths, the HM strats aren't really hard to understand from the playlogs either, new strats are always more interesting than pre-existing ones.

Edited by Gradivus.

Premonition and paralogue 12 were left out, see here.

Also seconding 0% growths, the HM strats aren't really hard to understand from the playlogs either, new strats are always more interesting than pre-existing ones.

You're right, it is 52 turns. Getting 52 turns on HM is boring anyway, probably the most boring LTC in all of FE.

I'm surprised how good Citra looks like compared to what I saw of it months ago. It didn't look playable at all at the time.

I've also been investing into an Awakening 0% growths playthrough as of late, and as of now have secured the means to record 3DS footage without having to resort to the emulator with its lack of sound and big slowdown (this was a huge turn-off when I was doing PoR 0% growths a couple years back and sorta why I postponed the endgame until a time where I could run the emulator on a faster PC). I'd be starting the recorded playthrough right now if I figured how to edit a ROM of the game to later be run on my cfw console. Definitely doing 0% growths now that it's become available thanks to Vincent's work, and have a wealth of other 3DS challenges planned for when I get the hang of handling all the technical issues standing in the way.

You're right, it is 52 turns. Getting 52 turns on HM is boring anyway, probably the most boring LTC in all of FE.

Can't be as boring as Shadow Dragon lol.

I'm surprised how good Citra looks like compared to what I saw of it months ago. It didn't look playable at all at the time.

Don't get too excited just yet lol. The flames? (I don't know) in the prologue look like a bunch of orange triangles having a seizure and randomly block half of the map.

Edited by ruadath