Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit

OakTree

(Sorry if this doesn't belong in the General Gaming section, i''ll delete the topic if it doesn't)

https://www.youtube.com/user/McBacon1337

I really like this series about game design, and would like to see it become more popular and see it generate more discussion, it's basically "Every Frame a Painting" for Video Games, my favorite videos are probably the ones about Adaptive Soundtracks, Half-Life 2's lack of traditional tutorials, Naughty Dog's level design and Team Ico's use of Design by Subtraction.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Sorry if this doesn't belong in the General Gaming section, i''ll delete the topic if it doesn't)

https://www.youtube.com/user/McBacon1337

I really like this series about game design, and would like to see it become more popular and see it generate more discussion, it's basically "Every Frame a Painting" for Video Games, my favorite videos are probably the ones about Adaptive Soundtracks, Half-Life 2's lack of traditional tutorials, Naughty Dog's level design and Team Ico's use of Design by Subtraction.

Interesting. Not as good as "extra credits" imo, but still good, and as someone who has watched all of the extra credits episodes 2-3 times, i love this. It helps that the analysis (which goes over a level in a lot of detail to explain a concept) is on a different scale then extra credits (which tends to look at an "entire indistry" level'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New video where Mark talks about how Doom uses a small but varied cast of enemies to create unique combat scenarios without just making the enemies bigger in numbers or stats.

So, they're actually trying that "level design" thing? Fantastic!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the topic of procedural generation, this video is relevant - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgbuWfGeG2o

And this comment from said video...

My problem with procedural generation is that the world tends to feel samey. Wherever you go in Minecraft, the forests are basically the same forest and the deserts are basically the same deserts. This is one of the reasons why I am skeptical towards the "infinite space" sims that are on the horizon. After a few hours you begin to see the code and the "rules" with which the space was built, and after that it becomes just an infinite scope of "more of the same".

Procedural generation is one of those things you really have to get right to reap the benefits. Most of the games that use it well don't have as much "permanent progression" (i.e. unlocking a new level) as regular games and are instead more about getting a hi-score or something.

• 2 weeks later...

New video where Mark talks about the importance of difficulty on the Souls games and how it's not really necessary to have an Easy Mode on these games.

Edited by OakTree

• 2 weeks later...

Some examples of games that put real good thought into the utilization of the controller...

[spoiler=Sin & Punishment: Star Successor]

1. Mutually exclusive actions are mapped to the same button (tap or hold), so the player never has to move their fingers to different buttons.

2. Offensive actions are mapped to the Wii Remote, while defensive actions are mapped to the Nunchuck. This makes the controls easier to understand.

3. The Wii Remote's IR pointer is PERFECT for shooting things - a vast improvement over the original Sin & Punishment.

[spoiler=Metroid Prime Trilogy]

1. Actions and buttons are paired based on the frequency of the action and the reachability of the button.

2. Holding the +/- buttons opens pointer shortcuts for switching beams and visors.

3. The Wii Remote's IR pointer is PERFECT for shooting things - a vast improvement over the original Metroid Prime.

And those that didn't...

[spoiler=Metroid: Other M]

1. The player must change the orientation of the controller - in a fast-paced action game - a recipe for disaster.

2. Using a directional pad for 3D movement.

[spoiler=Super Mario 64 DS]

1. Using a directional pad for 3D movement... and worse, the original game was built for a control stick!

[spoiler=Kid Icarus: Uprising]

1. Walking, dashing, and dodging are all mapped to the circle pad, with no button inputs to separate them. Combine with limited stamina for disaster.

2. Swiping the touch screen to turn the camera is worse than tilting a control stick OR pointing at the edge of the screen.

3. Moving while aiming and using powers is literally impossible.

4. The "scope" button, regardless of mapping, is impossible to reach comfortably.

5. This portable game comes with a stand for your 3DS.

Edited by Zera

• 2 weeks later...

New video where Mark talks about how Star Fox Zero's controls lack anything that truly makes it come off as if it's an experience that can only be done on the Wii U Gamepad.

https://youtu.be/m544qfVMIPs?t=6m48s - This bit here disturbs me. They purposefully made the TV screen's reticle inaccurate.

On the bright side, Mark also mentioned my favorite "accurate reticle" game, Sin & Punishment 2. If only Star Fox Zero could be played with a similar style, it could work extremely well...

Edited by Zera

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...