Controversial Aspects in Fates? (Possible Censorship in NA?)

Perriot Lunaire

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I don't post on the forum often.

I've read in a few places that they're may be censorship in certain parts due to controversy. I was wondering if anyone would mind explaining what some of these controversial parts might be without revealing any major plot spoilers. For example, is it violence, fan-service\"sexy" content, ect. I already know about the male MU+Zero support, skinship, and the new summer scramble if that helps. I'd really appreciate some help from you guys since it can be hard researching it my self with out getting major plot spoilers is pretty difficult, thanks.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a moment I thought you were talking about the gameplay changes, but everyone has calmed down about it

It mostly has to do with the face rubbing-though we are probably getting it thanks to IGN's video

as well as being able to marry your siblings

and a certan character who's name I won't mention

Thanks for the clarification. By gameplay changes do you mean how the game it self is different from previous games, or do you mean there are rumored changes from Japan to NA? I haven't been able to keep up with Fates for a few months so sorry if I'm not making sense.

People predict that suggestive dialogue, in supports and the touching mini-game, will be toned down. Incest undertones will probably be reduced and efforts made to make the underage romances seem more wholesome. There are a few supports in general (Mamui x Soleil for example) that are probably going to get a strong rewrite.

Gameplay-wise, there doesn't seem to be any indication of "censorship". As far as anyone knows, none of the cut-scenes or character models will be changed for the localization.

Edited by NekoKnight

If I'm not mistaken, there was examples of "toning down" in the series dialogue before, right? Distinctly I remember it in regards to Heather being more openly lesbian in the Japanese version, but I'm sure there was others too.

Edited by Tryhard

By different they got rid of the series staple weapon durability and made every weapon unbreakable but weapons now come with stat mods

and for story,, sorry, no one has any idea what parts of the storry/supports have been changed

though it's expected that some jokes will be changed due to them not making sense in English or are too reliant on a knoweldge of Japanese culture

I can see them toning down the incest vibes and reworking some of the supports that might offend western sensibilities (Like male Corrin with Soleil), and probably age up the younger folks a little, but I don't see them censoring too much else.

Alright thanks guys, this clears things up. I read some stuff on reddit and gamfaqs that made it sound like they were going to censor or change a lot of things character or plot wise in the localization, but it seems like it was just a few trolls or people over reacting. Thanks a lot guys!

Maybe some support convo changes and dialogue changes but I think its safe to safe that whether you love it or hate the face rubbing thing is in. Now as far as the fan servicey pictures who knows. There was that whole thing with Tharja in Awakening.

There was that whole thing with Tharja in Awakening.

What do you mean? There was nothing at all creepy about that.

I'm not really sure about previous FE games, but I assume there will be at least a few changes. From what I've seen, Japanese culture is much more open to relationships involving incest and/or underage people. I've seen about equal homosexuality in both cultures, but that could just be a coincidence.

Anyway, Americans have a bad habit of blowing things like this way out of proportion, so the company might reduce the content simply out of fear of a potential bad backlash from press. Hopefully people will realize that it's at least in part because of cultural differences and be more understanding.

Probably a lot of toning down and making some more likeable. Example being Henry in Awakening. Piere is likely to get the same treatment. Overall I actually look forward to the changes since there is a chance that they could be changes for the better in terms of dialogue and story.

Could someone tell me what is wrong with Mamui x Soleil support and why would they modify it? Yes I have read it and I still can't understand it.

To be honest it was a lot of misunderstanding from translation. It was supposed to be along the lines of Soleil being into girls, but having a hard time talking to them. So MU makes an elixir to where she sees women as men, so she can talk to them easier. Long story short she ends up falling in love with MU because of it. Due to some translations and overall some people making a mountain out of a mole hill, they said it was MU pulling a Bill Cosby and drugging her. Is it a stupid support, yes, but was it what everyone made it out to be, no.

Overall it was much to do about nothing. At least from what I could gather from it.

Edited by Integrity

To be honest it was a lot of misunderstanding from translation. It was supposed to be along the lines of Soleil being into girls, but having a hard time talking to them. So MU makes an elixir to where she sees women as men, so she can talk to them easier. Long story short she ends up falling in love with MU because of it. Due to some translations and overall some people making a mountain out of a mole hill, they said it was MU pulling a Bill Cosby and drugging her. Is it a stupid support, yes, but was it what everyone made it out to be, no.

Overall it was much to do about nothing. At least from what I could gather from it.

A lot of people still had a problem with him slipping something into her drink so i can see them changing it to Kamui casting a spell instead. Same effect but a lot less creepy.

A lot of people still had a problem with him slipping something into her drink so i can see them changing it to Kamui casting a spell instead. Same effect but a lot less creepy.

Pretty much. Lots of changes will be minor to make things more likeable or have less of a negative impact.

Could someone tell me what is wrong with Mamui x Soleil support and why would they modify it? Yes I have read it and I still can't understand it.

Partially what Tolvir said (exaggerated complaints over trigger issues in the west) but it's still a bad support for various reasons.

1. Mamui drugs Soleil without her knowledge.

2. Soleil is drugged into seeing Mamui as a girl, making her attracted to him when normally she wouldn't be.

3. Soleil's fainting around pretty girls isn't referenced in any of her other supports so it feels like it's just made up for Mamui to have a reason to talk to her.

The main issues with the support is Soleil is primarily attracted to women but Mamui secretly drugs her to fix that problem (disguised as fixing her fainting problem). Mamui shows a lot of disrespect to Soleil, even outside of drugging her, including lines that make him possessive of her and patronizing of her physical displays of affection (coming from the guy who regularly feels up people in his room). As Gayserbeam once eloquently put it, one of Kamui's lines (in the S support, I think) could be rephrased as "I can't touch your tits girl we aren't married you slut now remember that I own you so you can't talk to other guys but I know you won't because you are maybe a lesbian".

Hefty amounts of values dissonance (the reason it will likely be censored/localized out) but even taking that into consideration, it's still pretty gross.

So in the support Kamui is an asshole, and Soleil has some made up problems for the support. Who wrote this? Like I said, I think most of the localization changes are going to be for the better.

There are definitely things that I could see being changed (the Mamui x Soleil support for sure) but for the most part I think there isn't really much to censor aside from aging up the younger characters and probably toning down the incest like people have mentioned.

Maybe some of the skinship lines though? Zero's are kinda raunchy. (I'd rather these not be changed too much but, meh I could see it happening)

These are the same folk who translated Xenoblade Chronicles X? If so I can see the raunchy jokes/skinship lines staying.

But yeah, the big issue with the male Corrin/Soleil support is him drugging her without her knowledge. Perhaps if they keep the support mostly the same they could at least change that to be with her knowledge.

A friend of mine also told me that Foleo's supports with Eponine and Soleil are really bad, the former fetishizing homosexuality (As you would expect from Eponine, but not to this degree) and the latter verging on sexual assault. But I haven't actually read them myself so I don't know the exact details.

These are the same folk who translated Xenoblade Chronicles X? If so I can see the raunchy jokes/skinship lines staying.

But yeah, the big issue with the male Corrin/Soleil support is him drugging her without her knowledge. Perhaps if they keep the support mostly the same they could at least change that to be with her knowledge.

A friend of mine also told me that Foleo's supports with Eponine and Soleil are really bad, the former fetishizing homosexuality (As you would expect from Eponine, but not to this degree) and the latter verging on sexual assault. But I haven't actually read them myself so I don't know the exact details.

Didn't 8-4 handle XCX? Fates is being handled by Treehouse this time around, and I don't really know the full details about either but it seems to me that Treehouse may be a little more safe and I think it's almost guaranteed that the skinship lines will be toned down for localisation, even if some jokes stay in. I do recall 8-4 making some double entendres and jokes in Awakening but again, different studio, different techniques.

I see some mild outfit censorship with stuff like the leaf bikini and maybe some ages, but judging by the Xenoblade X localization, there'll still be innuendos and things. I'd wager that it'll probably even rival the Japanese version.

[spoiler=X spoilers I guess?]X has like two openly gay NPCs for one, but they are rather minor.

As a whole, I'd say that visuals are what Treehouse prioritises, and dialogue actually goes untouched.

As for Fatal Frame, the other game criticised for localization, I believe it was decided to remove the bikinis in Europe. The Treehouse actually seems pretty chill.

Edited by Miss Kira

Those two openly-gay NPCs even look identical.

Clearly the gay bandit twins decided to hop on a spaceship to Mira.

But yeah, back on the subject of Fates, I can also see them censoring some of the skimpier outfits a little, at least on the younger characters. XCX has some extremely skimpy bathing suits, but on Lin they become much more modest. I can see them doing that maybe for the youngest royals and Midoriko.