Dwlr's Graphic Shoppe and Works

Dwlr

Well it seems there's little no interest anymore so I think I'm going to close down and probably stop checking the forum all-together.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heading out? Take care if ya don't stick around~

thanks again for you sig work, it was fun chilling on the ask a qo to the above poster thread ^_^

Well I've been, back for awhile, but just re-opening a shoppe that's 2 years old isn't going to get too many views and I didn't just want to bump it for no reason even if it might be allowed (dunno what the no necro-posting for "artists" entails) anyway so I have a few examples I did within the month on other sites to update with.

Edited by Dwlr

@Dwlr

Oh my gosh you're alive!

*Ahem* it's good to see you again though, and your Sig's never fail to disappoint! 

Certainly better than this guy over here anyway haha

Edited by Motendra

4 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Oh my gosh you're alive!

Yes I'm very much alive though I don't see why you'd assume I died or something further more not sure if I should be flattered or weirded out that you posted 2 minutes after I did in a 2 year old thread.

14 minutes ago, Dwlr said:

Yes I'm very much alive though I don't see why you'd assume I died or something further more not sure if I should be flattered or weirded out that you posted 2 minutes after I did in a 2 year old thread.

Well I mean, that's more me being overdramatic from having not heard from you since.

As for that.... Well, back when you first made the thread I followed it, which in doing so notifies me of a new comment. Granted, I was under a different name, so you prolly don't recognize me yet, but I do remember the request you did for me which is still in my profile. Twas too good to be collecting dust

Edited by Motendra

3 minutes ago, Motendra said:

As for that.... Well, back when you first made the thread I followed it, which in doing so notifies me of a new comment. Granted, I was under a different name, so you prolly don't recognize me yet, but I do remember the request you did for me which is still in my profile. Twas too good to be collecting dust

Well it does keep the old name in the quotes and one can check past name history around here so when I was here you went by Noburu, As for the old request it'd prolly look better without the text as a cover photo I should still have it on my other computer if it'd you'd like a textless version, though with my norm canvas size being so small it'll still get stretched out. I could potentially try to remake it in a larger size that is if I still have the resources I used in the original, I know that one has a few c4ds in it.

6 hours ago, Dwlr said:

Well it does keep the old name in the quotes and one can check past name history around here so when I was here you went by Noburu. As for the old request it'd prolly look better without the text as a cover photo. I should still have it on my other computer if it'd you'd like a textless version, though with my norm canvas size being so small it'll still get stretched out. I could potentially try to remake it in a larger size that is if I still have the resources I used in the original, I know that one has a few c4ds in it.

Oh, that's certainly nice, but not necessary, I don't really mind it as is. Though after experimenting with it myself via a cover photo I did for a friend, I've come to discover that the dimensions for cover photos on SF is 810x120. If by chance you actually do, that'd be a benchmark

*Ahem* That being said, with you being back, are you still open to requests?

6 hours ago, Motendra said:

Ahem* That being said, with you being back, are you still open to requests?

Yup, that's kinda why I posted in this shop, neither here nor there but I officially have reopened on 3 different sites to try to increase business.

(It's not actually working however, I actually came back early-ish April, but didn't have a "good" reason to post here so the extent of it was me just updating the thread title to remove that I was closed which wasn't going to get much attention so it was kind of pointless so I waited for some sort of request in one of the other shoppes and well since I've been open for almost a month I've had 2 unique requesters one of which requested all 3 of the examples I updated this shoppe with.)

19 hours ago, Dwlr said:

Yup, that's kinda why I posted in this shop, neither here nor there but I officially have reopened on 3 different sites to try to increase business.

(It's not actually working however, I actually came back early-ish April, but didn't have a "good" reason to post here so the extent of it was me just updating the thread title to remove that I was closed which wasn't going to get much attention so it was kind of pointless so I waited for some sort of request in one of the other shoppes and well since I've been open for almost a month I've had 2 unique requesters one of which requested all 3 of the examples I updated this shoppe with.)

In that case, allow me to be the first since your return!

Render: https://images.khinsider.com/KINGDOM HEARTS III/Renders/Main Characters/Riku01.png

Dimensions: 810x120 if you can. If not, I'm content with 500x200

Style: C4D

Border: Yes

Side note: from the last request I made, I actually made an attempt to imitate it myself to a degree with my current sig now. Naturally, it doesn't quite match up, buuuuuut...

Edited by Motendra

8 hours ago, Motendra said:

In that case, allow me to be the first since your return!

Render: https://images.khinsider.com/KINGDOM HEARTS III/Renders/Main Characters/Riku01.png

Dimensions: 810x120 if you can. If not, I'm content with 500x200

Style: C4D

Side note: from the last request I made, I actually made an attempt to imitate it myself to a degree with my current sig now. Naturally, it doesn't quite match up, buuuuuut...

Well technically you're the first on Serenes, but third since my return though with how slow business has been I'd be a bit surprised if you aren't my only request here and considering my better half usually does the lion's share of my posting at least when there is rule on multiple accounts from the same IP like there is here there won't be any advertisement in other sections as I've not done the full-on forum thing for awhile since I haven't found a place that actually interests me for the content of the general forum. (I like Fire Emblem just fine, but a whole forum dedicated to it just isn't for me really)

Shouldn't be too much of an issue to upscale a c4d styled image.

Am I to assume you want something similar to the last one you requested? I'd warn that if you are looking for something in the same vein, the splash effects might not translate well with that large of a width since that particular effect only branches out a short ways from the render. Something back-lit, might stretch out a bit better though I don't mind adding the splash effect?

When dealing primarily with c4ds it's mostly about picking the right resources to use which is partly why I don't really like using them, feels like cheating to me. The problem is that the VAST majority of people like c4d styles which is why 2/3 of the recent examples are c4d centric designs despite my natural distaste of them. Outside of that it looks like you tried to make yours with limited layers, stacking multiple layers on top of each other is a good way to get those little tweaks you need without risking hurting all your work thus far and you can get quite a lot of effects through stacked layers, you might not normally get from trying to edit on a single or just a few layers.

Should be able to start this übermorgen or overmorrow if you prefer. Which is to say the day after tomorrow a.k.a Monday, I've got a few things to do this weekend that I don't want to commit to saying I'll get to work on it, with that said with the large size I'm hoping to have it finished Tuesday if all goes well.

Edited by Dwlr

3 minutes ago, Dwlr said:

Am I to assume you want something similar to the last one you requested? I'd warn that if you are looking for something in the same vein, the splash effects might not translate well with that large of a width since that particular effect only branches out a short ways from the render. Something back-lit, might stretch out a bit better though I don't mind adding the splash effect?

When dealing primarily with c4ds it's mostly about picking the right resources to use which is partly why I don't really like using them, feels like cheating to me. The problem is that the VAST majority of people like c4d styles which is why 2/3 of the recent examples are c4d centric designs despite my natural distaste of them. Outside of that it looks like you tried to make yours with limited layers, stacking multiple layers on top of each other is a good way to get those little tweaks you need without risking hurting all your work thus far and you can get quite a lot of effects through stacked layers, you might not normally get from trying to edit on a single or just a few layers.

If that's in referral to my little side note then don't worry about making it similar

For me anyway, I feel as though the c4d style is just more general in that it can go with nearly any kind of render. I've seen other styles, such as smudge ones, but they're mostly used for more.... artsy(?) renders from what I've seen. An example being this here. idk how that'd work with the chosen render of this kind. Believe it or not, the one I have now was mostly done with brushes.You're right about the stacked layer thing, though sometimes (most if not always) I just get lazy and not want to take too much time on it, which I then finish with gradient maps. some lighting here and there and call it a day. Granted, that's probably because I start with no general idea on how I want it to look, aside from render placement and work from there

12 hours ago, Motendra said:

If that's in referral to my little side note then don't worry about making it similar

For me anyway, I feel as though the c4d style is just more general in that it can go with nearly any kind of render. I've seen other styles, such as smudge ones, but they're mostly used for more.... artsy(?) renders from what I've seen. An example being this here. idk how that'd work with the chosen render of this kind. Believe it or not, the one I have now was mostly done with brushes.You're right about the stacked layer thing, though sometimes (most if not always) I just get lazy and not want to take too much time on it, which I then finish with gradient maps. some lighting here and there and call it a day. Granted, that's probably because I start with no general idea on how I want it to look, aside from render placement and work from there

It was part that and part that you're still using the last one.

It's true that c4ds tend to go with everything, but more because there is such a wide variety of them. C4ds are just the colloquial term for anything made in the Cinema 4D software after all. Meanwhile a smudge like the one you're posted is more to accent movement of the image only, but smudge is used more often than you might think and can give vastly different outcomes than one similar to that Lyn example. *I would post one but I still don't keep a real portfolio online, though I've been thinking about adding to my DA and using it as such*

Brushes are pretty similar to c4ds in my book typical used as stamps and seldom made by the person using them and most of the time the user doesn't even bother to edit out box effects on the brushes or try to manipulate them in anyway which tends to create a lot of awkward overlay. On yours I can tell that the foreground was brushed and the white in the back right-hand definitely has the earmarks of being a brush, but the green swirls could easily have been liquefied bubble c4ds or brushes and the lines on the right I assumed those to be manual pentools, but brushes can obviously pull of the same effect if somebody defined their pentooling as a brush and redistributed it or one pre-made some abstract pentools into brushes to save time (which I'm guilty of pre-making some more generic effects into brushes to mass-produce images though of late I haven't used any of them since business has been dirt slow even with being open on multiple sites, the forum scene is pretty well dead thanks to the advent of discord and with that the forum sig scene as gone with it so I'm mostly out of business as a "hey look at that" then move on guy if even that, the lion's share of requests come from ma and pop forums with maybe 50 members max that tend to not run their own discord channel so people actually still use the forum to a very minor degree as much as so few members can keep up discussions at least and with so few members that reduces potential customers even if they actually use the boards and are more likely request. It also helps that on these small forums there tends to be no other shoppes to compete with which when there are other shoppes people tend to have their favorites and simply give their patronage to the same shoppe every time.

Spoiler for wall of text reasons.

Spoiler

I totally get being lazy when working on such, but I tend to have more motivation for personal sigs than I do requests plus with personal sigs I get to control the render so the rare time inspiration strikes me I can pick out what I think the perfect render would be to bring that vision to fruition, though those times are few and far between which is why I simply refer to myself as a petty dabbler in the dark arts Photoshop rather than an "artist" as some like to refer to me as. Fact is I lack the patience to create any kind of original characters first off so I use renders and most of the time abstracts work for backgrounds so I don't have to worry about making anything that HAS to look like something specific so I get a pass in that department as well and if they want a specific background I can simply take a stock use it and blend the render with the background potentially add a few lighting effects and ship it to get a satisfied customer that doesn't care how it was actually made so no real artistic ability required there either just knowledge of the tools and an eye really. I totally get the lack of inspiration for things as well I literally have thousands of renders on ALF (my main computer, he's an Alienware so I named him ALF) and no idea what to do with them so I tend to just stare at a blank canvas when I have the notion to try to make something and am bored enough to do so and then end up with nothing done to it after an hour so. If I didn't mind making all my personal sigs look the same or simply using pre-made stocks for everyone I could knock 3 or 4 out in an hour, but stupid me likes to try to make them look unique from piece to piece. If you look around it's pretty easy to notice a trend of "artist" even touted ones of using various shortcuts like using stocks and resources which is why so many tutorials out there that are supposed to be helping beginners simply have steps as paste this here paste this there etc there are VERY few actual steps trying to teach anybody anything and part of the reason why I NEVER recommend tutorials to anybody. Following the link to the Lyn smudge led me to the Sig Labs group on Deviant Art (which I've browsed through before) and looking through the featured there were two that were featured by the same artist that blatantly used the same stock here and here which gets a solid result, but that also tells me that the "artist" probably can't make much himself and serves as a sort of collage-maker even if the results are solid which anybody could do honestly and it tends to be those individuals that get the highest praise and tend to try to hide the fact that they mostly just manipulated several resources they had no part in making at all usually to feed their ego as if they admitted to manipulating images in their mind it may make people think less of them and I'm on the side that that's a bit underhanded to not be upfront with and manipulating an image instead of creating something doesn't make an "artist" in my mind and furthermore where I'm concerned accepting credit for something without giving credits where they're due is little better than plagiarism. Any resource I use specific say that no credits are required so I can post them without a laundry list of credits attached to them saying X came from Joe or Y came from Sally yet at the same time I don't try to hide the fact I'm using resources I didn't make. I don't have Cinema 4D none of the C4Ds I use did I make myself (Most come from a user known as Stinky, but that's neither here nor there) and I certainly don't use resources that specifically as for credits if used and then try to hide them like A LOT of the people out there do. That's not to say placing objects to create a good end result or even simply blending a render into a specific stock that requires creating nothing isn't a skill and doesn't require a decent amount of work to get them to look "right", but it's not the same as creating something from scratch and accepting praise as if you did.

First off let me start by saying it took a bit longer than expected due to the abnormally large size, secondly I did a 820x200 soo I could run a full 200x200 avi size and get the vert centering a little leeway when converting it into a profile size. I excluded the border for the profile image simply because I thought it gave it a better vertical and ultimately it shouldn't matter when using it as a profile image additionally I desaturated it just a little for the large size which should look smoother as a full size image with button overlays. I added a textless signature with border as well.

Avi:
dUkpHY.png
Sig:
i9qZoI.png
k1wYBP.png
Full:
MpQnJD.png

Additionally I did want to mention that I think the profile image has a scale coding to upscale with monitors so while 820x200 may be the display size on your resolution I'm pretty sure it will upscale for higher resolutions, for instance on my screen the image appears to be 1308x200

Edited by Dwlr

No prob, feel free to come back sometime as mentioned it's likely that you're the only customer I'll have here...and my other shops get no business either.

Finished a request elsewhere for a Mercy sig, this version is resized from the original request to suit my tastes more than what they requested.

mercysized_by_dwlr-dcb3ndj.png

19 hours ago, Vestige said:

Sig making is so under appreciated these days, haha. Nice work though. 

There are still a few floating around and Deviant Art gets plenty of submissions to the customization category so plenty still make signatures, but with Reddit, Discord and the like they're not really needed so yeah people have mostly moved on. Renders still seem fairly popular even with no tags my quick renders are good for 2 or 3 favorites each...while my finished sigs tend to get 0. :'( So surely they're using them for something otherwise they'd just keep the original stock art or at least I would think they would.

• 1 year later...