Favourite Falchion?

Knight

52 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Falchion?

• Awakening
    • Original (FE1-FE3 and SSB)
    • Shadow Dragon/New Mystery
    • Marth's dumb plastic child-safe Amiibo sword

So, the Falchion is likely the most famous sword in Fire Emblem, though it has had many designs. Which one do you guys prefer? If you want, comment why you like it.

Awakening aka the one with the hole

themesfalchion13.jpg

Original aka the Smash Bros one (note. big)

Falchion_TCG_zpsyws8qlmr.jpg

Shadow Dragon aka most likely to be forgotten

fachin_zpsdgsdpeik.png

First, the Awakening one, to me, looks the most unrealistic, yet compared to many of the other weapons in the game, it appears normal. It does seem practical though, apart from the large hole that seems like it would make it more breakable (I guess not a problem considering it's unbreakable), and overall the design is nice. It ditches the red and green gems signature of other Falchions, and looks very far removed from the others, though I guess one support convo justifies this.

Second, the original that lasted from Dark Dragons to Mystery of the Emblem, appeared in Gaiden, Super Smash Bros, and looks suspiciously similar to the Tyrfing. It's got a very classic video game fantasy look to it from the nineties, though the sides of the hilt looks like they're going to snap. Looks the most realistic to me. It's received many minor alterations between games that are worth checking out.

Last, the Shadow Dragon one, the first redesign. It's no wonder the hilts always look different because they keep making them so breakable and have to replace them. This one wouldn't look so fragile to me if not for the bar that connects the blade to the handle. Otherwise, I actually rather like this one. It's not overly silly, it's just a nice looking sword.

*Note this is judging by aesthetic reasons, not usefulness in gameplay

Edited by Knight

I like Awakening's best because it looks like an actual dragon fang, which Falchion is Naga's fang.

It looks nothing like a fang lol. It's not supposed to either. It's forged from a fang, not merely a fang with a handle to hold it.

My favourite is the DS design. Out looks the most majestic.

Shadow Dragon's. The crossguard is a little thick but it's more distinctive than the original version and is at least there, unlike Awakening's.

e: see that one person's post about it for more details

Edited by Ambling Falchion

It's a very close battle between Shadow Dragon/New Mystery's and the original, but ultimately I'm gonna go with Shadow Dragon/New Mystery's. I really like the way it looks, it seems like a good update/redesign of the original and it surpasses the original, in my opinion.

The Awakening one always looked funky to me.

That said, some nitpicks aside, I like the SD one the best. It looks the most plain, but that's largely why I like it; it's down to earth and not too far-removed from a sword that might have actually existed.

The shadow dragon version, it just seems to suit the style of a fencer that it has been usually seen used as, and the original isn't that bad either.

The original isn't bad, leaf bladed shape, decent guard, if a little bulky, but that is quite common with fantasy designs, decent grip, though it should be oval, not round, to a bit better to help the wielder know the blade alignment and just to be a bit more comfortable, and a bit fancy but decent pommel. This blade is definitely made for cutting and is lacking in the thrust due to the broader tip.

The shadow dragon on is the same as above in many cases, ok guard, but a bit bulky, ok grip, but oval would be preferred, has a bit of strange place where the tang goes into the hilt, since it starts above the guard, the pommel is a bit different than the original but should still be fine.

Quite a different blade shape, though I would prefer not having the flares before the tip, but they are ok, and this is a blade you can thrust with fairly effectively.

The awakening one, the blade is decent, though like the original made for cutting, they seem to have the grip finally right, it seems comfortable and has that oval shape, a bit of a different kind of pommel but it should be fine, but what on earth happened to the guard? it has a ROUND shape and the parts that could catch a blade point DOWNWARD. Why? that is the exact direction that you don't want the opponents blade, since if you catch the opponents blade it might slide down on your hands or arms. The guard is the largest flaw for me in this design that makes me dislike it, simply because I can't see i being that effective.