What is it like to be an adult?

IceBrand

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 21 now and can say it's a mixed bag. Being able to drink and have the freedom to do mostly whatever you want is great. Taxes, paying for university, and other financial responsibilities are not.

Not saying it's not fun, but you'll get like at least a month's worth of stress out of a year. Plus, turning 21 is the last real milestone of life in terms of coming of age. It's all downhill from here haha.

Getting changes nothing except for the legality of your actions. There's really no difference between being over 18 but under 21 and being under 18. And the only difference between being under 21 and over 21 is some of the stuff you do now is legal.

I'm turning 20 this year and it doesn't feel all that different from when I was 16 - all that's really changed are people's expectations of you and more responsibilities. But it really depends on your environment really like my parents are very strict of me whenever I go out that my curfew has always been 6:00 pm and it still is even though I'm an 'adult'.

There's also things like not being covered by family insurance anymore because you're not in school anymore or you're at the age where you should be paying for things like that yourself. I'm still covered by insurance because of my dad's company and I'm in school, so I don't have to worry about paying for dentist check ups and the like.

So, being an adult is kind of you facing the reality that there are so many things that you have to pay yourself.

I hate it. Its like everyone stopped being nice to me when I became an adult and I have to worry about everything, like what to do with my life how I am going to pay for things, people telling me I am to old for things I like and many other things. There aren't many things adults get to do that I like (my father is a mean drunk so I will never drink because of the pain booze has caused me) so thats out, I don't fault other people for drinking I just feel if you drink you should be a single childless person because of how much pain it can cause the people around you. The only thing I like about it is being able to buy whatever video game I want and seeing whatever movie I want.

Credit card bills are definitely fun not

I'm at that point where I am used to several hundred dollars of credit card bills each month and no longer even blink

I mean yeah I make enough where the cost isn't a problem but I'm paying the amount of money child!me could only dream of having on a monthly basis

your life doesnt magically change after your birthday so uh its largely the same? adult responsibilities are a pretty gradual process

Getting changes nothing except for the legality of your actions. There's really no difference between being over 18 but under 21 and being under 18. And the only difference between being under 21 and over 21 is some of the stuff you do now is legal.

Pretty much this.

Honestly it's pretty much the same as before you become an 'adult.' Adulthood is a pretty gradual process. It's not like you're gonna wake up the next morning and be married with kids (unless of course you already are, in which case, carry on).