Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

Most people who liked the skin shipping simply kept quiet about it, since people were so quick to accuse them of being "waifu groping weaboo perverts/pedophiles" the moment they expressed the slightest interest in the mechanic. Until there was a chance that Nintendo had caved and was taking it out, there was no particular reason to try and defend it since it was assumed that it would stay.

Edited by capmalachi

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Italy actually has a problem with that, then it's possible that it will affect everyone because NoE usually releases the same version of their games all over Europe. Like, that gambling thing in Pokemon was only an issue in the UK, yet it lead towards every version of the Platinum edition in Europe being censored. There are countless examples of this kind of thing.

I really REALLY take an issue with this, and no Nintendo, I will not *understand* why you choose to censor gay marriage in the rest of Europe where gay marriage has been legalized for a long time. If Italy has a problem with it, but the rest of Europe is fine with it, it should be IN the game, and Italy will have to either deal with it, get a customized version of it or just not get it at all.

The source of the possibility of same sex marriage being censored is not reliable at all.

Just don't suddenly start to jump around for no reason.

Edited by ENS

The source of the possibility of same sex marriage being censored is not reliable at all.

Yes, it's a weird source. The Italian in it is also rather bad, even if grammatically sound.

Wouldn't it be extremely weird that the first to know about this is an admin on an italian fan forum?

Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo could come out, and I don't know, talk to it's fans regarding what is happening. I wish localization cooperative work between fans, Nintendo and developers.

If anyone wants it, I made my own translation of that letter:

We confirm that the the “amiibo” figures of “Roy” (to be released 18 March 2016) and “Corinzius” (TBD) will not be compatible with this 3DS product
Regarding the presence of censorship in “Fire Emblem: Fates”, the European division, under jurisdiction of NOE President SATORU SHIBATA, has decided to apply more pronounced restraints compared to the ones in the American release.
Many dialogues have been readjusted to avoid an abrupt impact and to protect the younger audience
INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, under the president’s order, has accepted, other than the removal of the code that concerns romantic relationships in “MY CASTLE” (in agreement with the American market), to modify the SUPPORT SYSTEM.
For the multi 5 editions (UK English, French, German, Spanish and Italian), the maximum support limit between certain characters enganged in a homosexual relationship, [removed text] you will choose the same gender in one of the three paths, it will be level “A” instead of “S”.

(TN, here is a less literal take on those lines: the maximum support limit between certain characters enganged in a homosexual relationship will be level “A” instead of “S”).

We are sure that our public will understand the decisions behind this difficult choice.

For more information on future announcements, or for other informations regarding the president’s choices, that we remind, are motivated by a strong sense of cultural identity and different religious beliefs, we give you this direct referral.

Now, I want to point out a thing that made be dubious, but might amount to nothing...

In Italian, the Support System has always been called "Sostegno", yet this letter said "SUPPORTO", which not only sounds bad, but also contraddicts the previous translations.

Oh yeah, another thing, am I the only Italian here who thinks "MIO CASTELLO" sounds really stupid and that not even the shoddiest Italian translation would use it?

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

i am hoping Nintendo addresses this in the next few days. Its a little weird they haven't' already though. You would think something creating this much attention right now to the point that it is showing up on sites like Yahoo would warrant the attention of someone from Nintendo.

It's looking to be fake. The poster in question knows someone who works in the same office as where the e-mail apparently originated from, and their PR manager said the e-mail doesn't even exist

EDIT: To make this post relevant to the OP, I'll just say I'm conflicted on Skinship potentially being removed/changed/replaced. Skinship itself doesn't bother me, but as someone who hasn't heard/seen any of the questionable lines, my opinion doesn't really mean much. I'm also not someone who is against touching one's face/having my face touched. It being outright removed would leave a sour taste in my mouth, since I know I'm getting a game with less content than the original, Japanese game, but I can see why it wouldn't be in the final, localised product. I'm not for censorship--I think I'm neutral--but I will admit there have been cases where I think it's been good (Lin in Xenoblade Chronicles X is a recent example of this)

Edited by DodgeDusk

It's looking to be fake. The poster in question knows someone who works in the same office as where the e-mail apparently originated from, and their PR manager said the e-mail doesn't even exist

EDIT: To make this post relevant to the OP, I'll just say I'm conflicted on Skinship potentially being removed/changed/replaced. Skinship itself doesn't bother me, but as someone who hasn't heard/seen any of the questionable lines, my opinion doesn't really mean much. I'm also not someone who is against touching one's face/having my face touched. It being outright removed would leave a sour taste in my mouth, since I know I'm getting a game with less content than the original, Japanese game, but I can see why it wouldn't be in the final, localised product. I'm not for censorship--I think I'm neutral--but I will admit there have been cases where I think it's been good (Lin in Xenoblade Chronicles X is a recent example of this)

The adress is right though... maybe it's wrong as in, written in the wrong way? The all caps does seems suspicious.

I found multiple sources saying that the face rubbing is gone, not just Kotaku. I called this months ago, now it's going to be pretended that everyone had called that it was going to happen. Instead everyone was saying, "oh it's not going to be censored." Pattern Recognition is starting to become a super power these days.

Let me say this one final time before FE15 gets released. Anything in fire emblem is going to get censored in the west. Why? Birds Fly, Fish Swim, Nintendo of America Censors Content.

Honestly, I can understand why it might be a bit deal to some people, but I'm just thinking about how others can use the feature if it's still included. I might be going on a bad rant here, so call me out of I'm wrong!

What I'm thinking is that people could use the feature for a reason other than just "lmao waifus/husbandos" and can use it for maybe calming down, in a sense? I'm probably stretching the idea a bit far, but think about it: some people use games for therapeutic purposes, and interacting with the characters in this manner (and actions kind of being up to the eye of the beholder, in the sense that it could be friendly rather than strictly intimate) could help someone who's feeling depressed or something. It doesn't have to be all about how "ew you're petting someone who isn't your spouse," rather it could be about feeling better. A kind of distraction from bad thoughts, yeah?

And people might say how playing the rest of the game could be just as therapeutic, but a feature like this isn't one you find often. Besides, a lot of people seem to like the idea of what funny stuff characters might say!

edit:

I found multiple sources saying that the face rubbing is gone, not just Kotaku.

How many of those articles cited Kotaku as a source, though? Edited by Nishiki

Is this feature being cut just because some people don't like it? Because that's stupid.

I think is more of a cultural matter. Otakus are creepy as hell.

And i'm 100% secure that if they remove the skinship, there will be a better addition

But again, the only thing i'm interested right now is if they will up the HP growth rates that are awful in this game.

Edited by Light Master

Can we post links to the enemies? Because this:https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/42yba5/oh_for_loptyrs_sake_regarding_same_sex_marriage/

Now we can all go home people. The war is over.

But I still hope the wonderful MIO CASTELLO is a thing, though.

There's more caps flying around there then the last time I played SM64.

I found multiple sources saying that the face rubbing is gone, not just Kotaku. I called this months ago, now it's going to be pretended that everyone had called that it was going to happen. Instead everyone was saying, "oh it's not going to be censored." Pattern Recognition is starting to become a super power these days.

Let me say this one final time before FE15 gets released. Anything in fire emblem is going to get censored in the west. Why? Birds Fly, Fish Swim, Nintendo of America Censors Content.

The problem with this is that literally just about everyone that I've seen bar one person has cited Kotaku as their source, and the one extra person didn't cite absolutely anything. That's why a lot of people are still skeptical. It all leads back to one untrustworthy place.

(Or apparently polygon or porygon or wherever, which apparently is equally untrustworthy)

The amount of controversy regarding this game is ridiculous! Being able to romance the children characters (which I know was a thing in Awakening but nonetheless was still controversial), the whole Soleil debacle, being able to marry your own siblings (yes I know they're not blood related but people will and do still find it weird), the hot springs to some degree, the skinship/petting mechanic, it doesn't end! (FYI I'm not for or against any of these just stating the topics that have caused some controversy)

That aside though here's what I'm hoping they do regarding the whole skinship thing, if it is in fact removed (which I'm hoping it isn't) then I would at least hope that there would be some kind of mechanic that replaces it. Preferably something that shows off the 3D models in some way. Hell I wouldn't mind if they did something along the lines of: Unit A walks in, says something like "You called for me Corrin?", screen fades out then back in, shows their 3D model, they say a line of dialogue that would normally play at the end of the whole face rubbing mini game, 'friendship level increased!' or what have you, screen fades out and back in, they say something along the lines of "that was fun, let's do it again sometime!", then they leave.

The other alternative is that it's like the Awakening barracks, they walk in, say hello, screen fades out and back in (representing the passage of time in this case), they say it was fun/goodbye (you get the bonus at some point within all this) then they leave.

The second alternative I mentioned is what I'm hoping won't happen it's just a possibility I thought up for a replacement. I'd really like the 3D models to be utilized in some way and not just used in the S rank cutscenes, really that's all I care about. I never cared to much about the face rubbing mechanic one way or another but I thought being able to see a 3D model that moved and talked felt a lot more lively and engaging then the plain static image that we're so used to seeing in FE games. I dunno, I just feel like it would be a waste is all to not make more use of those assets in some way. :\

Edited by Kyza

I think the reason why there's so much controversy is the fact that the majority of the reason Awakening was successful (as far as I can tell, anyway) was that it took a lot of the unique features from across the series and blended them into one game. The less Nintendo would have taken from this is that they need to add unique things in order to make a fire emblem game see, thus, they decided to take more risks involving what they put into the game.

I'm gonna ask the same question I asked earlier.

What are you getting the game for?

I ask because some people seem to not want the game because of one or two small things that are (possibly) not in the game! I can understand if you're upset or disappointed or may not care a whole lot because some like the feature more than others, BUT...to not the game at all because a of minigame (that has never been in a FE game until now)? Something that probably makes up only 5% - 10% of a strategy rpg?! Did you want the "strategy rpg", the main thing Fire Emblem is known for, or just for the other extra stuff?!

Sorry if I sound rude, but this issue seems to be occurring constantly and it saddeneds (and kind upsets) me as I see more of it! I've been a big fan of the series since FE 7 (the first FE game released in the west) and while adding new extra stuff (or changes) in the series isn't always a bad thing (heck, it helps it a lot sometimes, like casual mode for newcomers of the series), I just hate it that people seem to be getting so enraged (or disappointed) to the point of not getting the game due to one (or two) small little thing(s) added in this new game to the series, when the core parts of the gameplay( that has pretty much stayed the same up to this point) is actually really good! I don't care if you have a waifu or husbino or whatever you may like or like to do, just don't act like the smaller new additions are more important than the main core game itself. Which is why I ask...WHAT ARE YOU GETTING THE GAME FOR?!

......I'm sorry if I offended or upset anyone, but it just...*sigh*...this whole thing is getting blown waaay out of proportion...for something that was never really that big of a thing in the first place...

Edited by Busterman64

The controversy has more to do with how much misinformation has been spreading about this game since day 1. Tbh, its really awful and tiresome.

What are you getting the game for?

To play a new Fire Emblem game with all the features in it. While i want the game for its main draw, new FE, i want to be able to try all the features in the game if it so suits me. Theres...nothing wrong with wanting to play with the whistles and bells given to you in a product.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson