Moliblazer

Fire Emblem: The Blade's Legacy (Poll Added)

Which route did you play through?  

9 members have voted

  1. 1. Which version of chapter 3 did you choose?

    • Chapter 3A (the forest) and I enjoyed my choice
      4
    • Chapter 3A (the forest) and I regretted my choice
      3
    • Chapter 3B (the way around) and I enjoyed my choice
      2
    • Chapter 3B (the way around) and I regretted my choice
      1


Recommended Posts

After over a year, I finally got around to revisiting this project, so...

Patch 0.2 is out!!!

This patch adds 5 new chapters and goes up to Chapter 8. It also tries to fix a few bugs, but I make no promises.

Here are some screenshots of the new stuff:

QQ6vZyT.png

Also, because I've always hated the name "Spreading Flames" this hack is now officially named: Fire Emblem: The Blade's Legacy! Let's see for how long this name sticks.

Edited by AsukaDrag
forgot the screenshots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2017 at 7:44 PM, escotanner said:

Whoo-hoo! I can't wait to play this!

 

On 3/9/2017 at 2:22 PM, Bob of the A said:

This looks sweet! I can't wait to try it out!

Glad to hear you're excited! I hope my game lives up to your expectations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any particular reason why the generic enemies have ridiculously high Skill and Speed stats? I encountered enemy Fighters in Chapters 1 and 2 with ~4-6 Strength but ~15 Skill.

 

balance please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, YurickLavada said:

Still ongoing? Because I want more! T_T

Yes, if everything goes to plan, there should be at least one or two more patches before the game is complete, so stay tuned!:)

On 3/12/2017 at 5:51 PM, Augestein said:

Sounds like it's pretty interesting so far. I'll give it a shot. 

Thanks, I hope you enjoy yourself!

On 3/14/2017 at 0:50 PM, Hamlet said:

Any particular reason why the generic enemies have ridiculously high Skill and Speed stats? I encountered enemy Fighters in Chapters 1 and 2 with ~4-6 Strength but ~15 Skill.

 

balance please

Well, Skill is useless, anyway, so it makes no difference.

I'm pretty sure the absurdly high Skill is a result of me trying to make the enemies have decent hit rates on your characters, but maybe I went I tiny bit overboard:)

I'll probably readjust it in the next patch whenever that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

I'm a longtime player of the Fire Emblem series and fangames.  I've been really enjoying your hack!

I have to say I really enjoyed the Prologue.  It really was a fun way to introduce the setting, while allowing players to feel familiar with the heavy allusion to a well-known historical battle.

The difficulty level of this hack is really on point.  This hack is no walk in the park even for someone with FE experience, but it's not mind-numbingly hard to the point that a casual gamer would have trouble enjoying it.  I found the first couple of turns of chapter 2 to be pretty annoying, though, since green units love to charge and die before you can do anything about it. 

Also, you really like dumping large numbers of enemies on the board and having players use chokepoints to hold them off.  As someone who admits to playing their share of the dynasty warriors series, this styple works for me.

I like the characters and the levels so far.  Certain characters are RIDICULOUS.  I have a question in the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

Is Derrick supposed to be the Jeigen?

I visited the place where the games tells you not to use him but...

He's incredibly good.  His ridiculous defense allows him to tank almost every enemy that I've seen so far, his 3 range weapon allows him to take down bosses with ease, and to boot he has great growths (unless I'm just lucky, I haven't missed a speed growth on him yet).  I can see that other powerful units such as Agitha, Linda, and Robert 2 will outclass him eventually, but only by a bit.

Hope work on this is continuing at a good pace.  I'm finding this hack very fun.

- Eternal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 0:25 PM, AsukaDrag said:

Well, Skill is useless, anyway, so it makes no difference.

I'm pretty sure the absurdly high Skill is a result of me trying to make the enemies have decent hit rates on your characters, but maybe I went I tiny bit overboard:)

I'll probably readjust it in the next patch whenever that is.

That actually makes sense, and I do like the fact that you can't just rely on dodges and instead have to actually strategize about who to attack with whom. That being said there is such high enemy density in the chapters that it's very easy for your units to be surrounded and killed.

I took the 3A route, and I actually love the idea of the poisoned gas in the forest. However, it is quite hard to navigate with the poison, especially with the points where you are forced to navigate your units in a straight line where the poison hits in several points. Either widen the path for the allies, or indicate where the poison will be coming from can fix that issue.

I had to re-start because I lost too many units (I wasn't going to reset for the female shaman or Tansy because, frankly, they're garbage). So I will try to adopt a new strategy that can minimize the poison damage. That said, the female shaman (I don't remember her name because she died the turn she was recruited) spawns in a terrible spot. She doesn't have the stats to survive the enemies and has limited movement due to being surrounded. There is little reason to keep her alive due to this (rescue with Tansy, maybe? but once again, garbage).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I've encountered a bug.  I used the guiding ring on Agitha (female shaman) and promoted her to Druid.  There did not appear to be a sprite for her during promotion.  Later on I tried using her in battle and it crashed the game.

Maybe a sprite missing there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed the prologue, and was excited to play on, but during the beginning of gameplay of chapter 1 the game just crashed. It froze and ended up only showing my units, and my cursor completely disappeared. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2017 at 0:22 AM, EternalSerpent said:

Hey,

I'm a longtime player of the Fire Emblem series and fangames.  I've been really enjoying your hack!

I have to say I really enjoyed the Prologue.  It really was a fun way to introduce the setting, while allowing players to feel familiar with the heavy allusion to a well-known historical battle.

The difficulty level of this hack is really on point.  This hack is no walk in the park even for someone with FE experience, but it's not mind-numbingly hard to the point that a casual gamer would have trouble enjoying it.  I found the first couple of turns of chapter 2 to be pretty annoying, though, since green units love to charge and die before you can do anything about it. 

Also, you really like dumping large numbers of enemies on the board and having players use chokepoints to hold them off.  As someone who admits to playing their share of the dynasty warriors series, this styple works for me.

I like the characters and the levels so far.  Certain characters are RIDICULOUS.  I have a question in the spoiler tag below.

  Reveal hidden contents

Is Derrick supposed to be the Jeigen?

I visited the place where the games tells you not to use him but...

He's incredibly good.  His ridiculous defense allows him to tank almost every enemy that I've seen so far, his 3 range weapon allows him to take down bosses with ease, and to boot he has great growths (unless I'm just lucky, I haven't missed a speed growth on him yet).  I can see that other powerful units such as Agitha, Linda, and Robert 2 will outclass him eventually, but only by a bit.

Hope work on this is continuing at a good pace.  I'm finding this hack very fun.

- Eternal

Well, I'm glad to hear you're liking it so far! And thank you for all your feedback! I'll take your criticism on Chapter 2 into account when I release the next patch.

As for your question...

Spoiler

That house is mostly supposed to be a joke, and Derrick is supposed to be more of an Oyfaye, but you're right, right now, he's much better than he's supposed to be, expect nerfs in the future.

As for his speed... You did get somewhat lucky, his speed growth is pretty high at 40%, but not THAT high.

 

On 3/17/2017 at 3:57 PM, Hamlet said:

That actually makes sense, and I do like the fact that you can't just rely on dodges and instead have to actually strategize about who to attack with whom. That being said there is such high enemy density in the chapters that it's very easy for your units to be surrounded and killed.

I took the 3A route, and I actually love the idea of the poisoned gas in the forest. However, it is quite hard to navigate with the poison, especially with the points where you are forced to navigate your units in a straight line where the poison hits in several points. Either widen the path for the allies, or indicate where the poison will be coming from can fix that issue.

I had to re-start because I lost too many units (I wasn't going to reset for the female shaman or Tansy because, frankly, they're garbage). So I will try to adopt a new strategy that can minimize the poison damage. That said, the female shaman (I don't remember her name because she died the turn she was recruited) spawns in a terrible spot. She doesn't have the stats to survive the enemies and has limited movement due to being surrounded. There is little reason to keep her alive due to this (rescue with Tansy, maybe? but once again, garbage).

First of, thanks for the feedback!

Not sure how I would indicate where the poison comes from with the limited tileset of that chapter. I tried placing enemies in the way of the poison gas at the start of the chapter so the player could take note of where the poison was before they reached it, but maybe it wasn't enough.

That said, I kind of agree that the trek through that narrow path is probably the weakest part of the chapter, so I may widen the path whenever I release a balance patch (which I plan to do soon-ish) and that should also lessen the problem with Agitha(the female shaman)'s spawn point. By the way, she and Tansy are supposed to be growth units that get really strong if you put in the effort to train them, though in Tansy's case she's a flyer so she's not supposed to have super high stats because balance.

14 hours ago, EternalSerpent said:

I believe I've encountered a bug.  I used the guiding ring on Agitha (female shaman) and promoted her to Druid.  There did not appear to be a sprite for her during promotion.  Later on I tried using her in battle and it crashed the game.

Maybe a sprite missing there?

Believe it or not, I had just found this bug myself before reading this comment, I have absolutely no idea what caused it, but reinserting the druid animation seemed to fix it, so I'm releasing an updated version of the patch that fixes it HERE.

3 hours ago, Chels said:

I really enjoyed the prologue, and was excited to play on, but during the beginning of gameplay of chapter 1 the game just crashed. It froze and ended up only showing my units, and my cursor completely disappeared. 

I'm really sorry to hear that, but I've never seen that happen nor do I have any idea as to what caused it. Do you remember doing something that may be the cause?

I hope it doesn't desencourage you from playing on. Jut let me know if I can do anything to help.

Edited by AsukaDrag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chels said:

I really enjoyed the prologue, and was excited to play on, but during the beginning of gameplay of chapter 1 the game just crashed. It froze and ended up only showing my units, and my cursor completely disappeared. 

Yeah mine crashed too, except on mine it crashed on turn 22 :( (So close to the end!)

@AsukaDrag:

Honestly I want to continue playing to complete the hack (because it looks promising), but... seeing the game crash after 22 grueling turns just kills you inside, ya know

EDIT: Just tried it out again. It didn't freeze up this time. Wonderful.

Edited by Pixelman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completed the game so far.  I really enjoyed it.  Great job.

Also the fix for the Druid works.

Another spoiler question in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Is either Jared or Therrafarc recruitable in Chapter 8?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2017 at 2:44 AM, Pixelman said:

Yeah mine crashed too, except on mine it crashed on turn 22 :( (So close to the end!)

@AsukaDrag:

Honestly I want to continue playing to complete the hack (because it looks promising), but... seeing the game crash after 22 grueling turns just kills you inside, ya know

EDIT: Just tried it out again. It didn't freeze up this time. Wonderful.

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. I've no idea what is causing the game to crash like that sometimes...

Glad to hear its been resolved, though! Hope you enjoy your time playing!

On 3/20/2017 at 9:30 PM, EternalSerpent said:

Completed the game so far.  I really enjoyed it.  Great job.

Also the fix for the Druid works.

Another spoiler question in the spoiler tag.

  Reveal hidden contents

Is either Jared or Therrafarc recruitable in Chapter 8?

 

I'm glad you enjoyed my game!

As for your question...

Spoiler

Neither of them is recruitable. They're mostly there to mix things up in an otherwise mostly uneventful chapter. There are many recruitable bosses in the game, so I see how you'd think that, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SPOILERS (sort of) After all that work.. , all that savestates.. all that mini-heart attack of Leonidas tanking the whole army.. the end of the prologue is shocking. Well it's nice because i didn't see that coming, a nice hack overall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished playing, awesome job man truly. Definitely HUGE potential here. The story is great I think, and I don't really have any criticisim on anything but balance. The balance is just entirely all over the place, so I'm not going to give specifics because just about every character needs work. Not really a huge deal atm because there is enough enemies, some of which are really OP themselves, so it's still challenging enough to not be broken. Some of the character are ridiculously OP though, while others are just mediocre.

One thing I can say, is that you really need to give all characters strengths and weaknesses, rather than just have these god like characters, like Ronan, Noah, Derik, etc. Some of their strengths just don't fit either. Desire has 18/18 def/res, and she is a 5 valkyrie, while Linda a lvl 5 general has 17 defense. Ash at lvl 20 lord has 5 defense and 10 res....

Looking forward to seeing more though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody knows when a new patch of the blades legacy will come out please tell me when the new one comes out..:(::(:

I currently have the latest version for now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this isnt the topic but i would also want to now when the next patch for fe the road to ruin will come out please let me know..ill appreciate it:D::D::D:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shadowwolf728 said:

Anybody knows when a new patch of the blades legacy will come out please tell me when the new one comes out..:(::(:

I currently have the latest version for now

When it's done.

3 hours ago, Shadowwolf728 said:

I know this isnt the topic but i would also want to now when the next patch for fe the road to ruin will come out please let me know..ill appreciate it:D::D::D:

Same answer as above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2017 at 4:10 PM, urug99 said:

Just finished playing, awesome job man truly. Definitely HUGE potential here. The story is great I think, and I don't really have any criticisim on anything but balance. The balance is just entirely all over the place, so I'm not going to give specifics because just about every character needs work. Not really a huge deal atm because there is enough enemies, some of which are really OP themselves, so it's still challenging enough to not be broken. Some of the character are ridiculously OP though, while others are just mediocre.

One thing I can say, is that you really need to give all characters strengths and weaknesses, rather than just have these god like characters, like Ronan, Noah, Derik, etc. Some of their strengths just don't fit either. Desire has 18/18 def/res, and she is a 5 valkyrie, while Linda a lvl 5 general has 17 defense. Ash at lvl 20 lord has 5 defense and 10 res....

Looking forward to seeing more though!

Well man I'm glad to hear you liked it.

As for the balance... It's the one area where not having any playtesters aside from myself really bites me... Its really tough to judge what characters are good and what characters aren't when I only have my playstyle as a reference...

I tried to have each character have its own strengths and weaknesses(the key word here being "tried") and they all certainly have different stat spreads, but I don't think I was able to make them all be useful like I wanted to, so I actually would really like to hear the specifics on every character if it isn't too much trouble. I wanted to go for a "everyone is really good" approach at balance, so as long as they don't completely break the game, I don't mind some units being kinda OP, and the only one I know I'll nerf so far is Derrick because he's just ridiculous. Also, I really like characters in Fire Emblem who have stat spreads that don't match their class, so that explains the super defensive Desiree, plus she needed to have high Def for the purposes of chapter 3x, so that works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, I wouldn't mind giving you some specifics. It will definitely take me some time to evaluate, so I'll proly look at a few characters at a time and post my thoughts. Keep in mind these are just my thoughts, and I'm not really sure what your aim is for the character, but I figure second opinions never hurt.

Can you post that savestate for the end of the prologue, without it being comprssed/zipped? I had a hard time getting through without it glitching out, I have linux and it wouldn't let me extract the file with the program I use. It happened at all random times from round 7ish for me.

Oh I'm suprised I didn't mention this above, but I loved the prologue. That was a fun and epic way to start off, I hope you are able to debug it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, urug99 said:

Nah, I wouldn't mind giving you some specifics. It will definitely take me some time to evaluate, so I'll proly look at a few characters at a time and post my thoughts. Keep in mind these are just my thoughts, and I'm not really sure what your aim is for the character, but I figure second opinions never hurt.

Can you post that savestate for the end of the prologue, without it being comprssed/zipped? I had a hard time getting through without it glitching out, I have linux and it wouldn't let me extract the file with the program I use. It happened at all random times from round 7ish for me.

Oh I'm suprised I didn't mention this above, but I loved the prologue. That was a fun and epic way to start off, I hope you are able to debug it.

Here, a save from right before Chapter 1.

I really need to do something about that glitchy prologue... I just need to find out how. It seems that even without the bugs  It seems to be a divisive chapter even without them with some agreeing with you and some not being able to get through it, so the glitches are unacceptable.

Thanks in advance btw. I look foward to your feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I use the save? My VBA uses .sa1 files for saving data, and trying to change the file provided just brings up a new game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.