FE4 Advance - R.I.P.

Arch

Yes, the project is really dead.

But I suppose I owe people an explanation. It comes down to this: the project had to die. I wouldn't have been able to make a comparable product to FE4 with the GBAFE engine. When I started this project' date=' three years ago, I had no idea what I was doing. "Skills? The love system? Inheritance? The special shops? The arena? I haz Nintendolord todo that stuffz for mez." It was a foolish endeavor, and a challenge for even the most skilled hackers among us.

And yet, that doesn't mean it wasn't worthwhile. Because of FE4A I learned to event hack. That resulted three event tutorials and Elibian Nights (both non-negative things). I made a lot of friends in the process (Nintenlord, The Blind Archer being the two most prominent), and a lot of people came to be fans of my work (hopefully I haven't lost TOOO many of them, because I still plan on finishing my other projects). In the end, people enjoying the product is really what makes the entire effort worthwhile. I'm sorry that I couldn't deliver on this one (so many people wanted to see it done), perhaps I should have picked a more do-able project from the start. [/quote']

FE4A Mug Compilation

The graphics contributors created a wonderful compilation of the FE4 cast, redesigned in GBA style with each artist's unique personal styles and vision of the character. It's definitely worth viewing for the fans of FE4 out there, and a fantastic representation of what our community's artists can produce.

View the compilation here.

FE4A Released Materials

The project was in development for a span of two years, and was the beneficiary of quite a lot of ASM hacks.

• You can download the source files for the game's events, by Arch and Nintenlord here.
  • Nintenlord's complete hacking notes, containing information on the Str/Mag split and the skills patch, can be found here.
  • More to come.

Edited by Rodimus Supreme OVERTROLL

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to bother changing any tilesets to resemble the game or no?

Sometimes I wish I could've kept working at FERetro. Eh, nice to see something getting done though--it's about time, although I was looking forward more to the Monshou remake some people were doing.

I'd donate some of the mugs we had for our project but I'm not sure if we'd still use them at a later date so meh :/

We're thinking about changing the tilesets to resemble the ones in FE4.

I'm not the only person working on this, Nintenlord and flyingace24 are helping me out a lot.

Haha, that's quite interesting.

Hopefully there will be some decent mugs. Of course they're not everything, but I don't want to be playing a FE4 remake with recolours and bad splices >___

I think it would be a good idea to make a request for mugs at FESS or FEP. There's already some very good FE4 mugs made by members there, such as Tiltyu and Eltshan.

Well, were almost done with the Prologue, once we have the mugs we'll release a demo where people can only play the prologue as well as some youtube videos to make the hack more well known.

Are you thinking about importing the Forrest Knight animation from Seima (FE8)? It shouldn't be too hard to implement, and I think I remember flyingace24 toying around with the process a little :/

How about Sappy? If you've the patience, it's rather easy to take an SPC track from Seisen (FE4) and get it into the sound format fo the GBA games. The largest factor will be having to correct certain breaks in the song, such as loops, and aligning instruments with certain notesets :/

FESS is having a sort of hacking challenge contest, a one-chapter length thing. If it interests you, you could think on chiming in--not that there'd be much competition. I don't think all too many are going to bother with the thing :[

Yah, were also hoping to import Mage Knight, Pupil, Great Knight, General (Swords), Normal Cleric, Roy Lord, Eirika Lord, Eirika Great Lord, Shaman (F) and, Priest. Were also trying to insert Axe Knight, Sword Armor and, Axe Armor animations.

I was hoping to do that, I'll see what I can do (I really want to insert some FE4 tracks)

That would be a good way to make this hack known if it won that competition, I'll look into it.

EDIT: We can't use two patches... I dunno how it'll work seeing as I don't want to release anything without all the animations we need inserted (we'd need Axe Knight and Sword Armor for just the Prologue) and we need to expand for that.

Well, get out of the cess pit that is StealthPatch. Yeah, flyingace24 found something to work, but it's not like he actively searched for something other than an IPS patcher--he kind a took the first link that worked for him.

Try another patch system; I think you can always resort to a batch-file setup too. Or code your own patching system, if you're up to it.

Isn't there already unused space near the end of the ROM anyways, like, 4MB or something? Game data doesn't pile up that quickly to warrant an expansion.

As for tilesets, I'm sure you know already, or hopefully flyingace or Nintenlord, but since both the SNES and the GBA use 15-bit RGB for colors, all you really have to do for the palettes is copy/paste the respective data from a ZSNES savestate over into wherever your colors are stored in the ROM, copy/paste whatever tiles you want wherever in the tileset (Seisen being Seisen, there's roughly a huge difference in the number of actual tiles), and then modify the respective tile tables (which tile does what) and the like. Simple enough~

Then again, it may be in your interests to have Thracia's graphics instead. As they're compressed, you can choose between converting an image of the map/manually drawing ni tiles, or using the ZSNES method for palettes (thankie the people who felt ZSNES should use uncompressed RAM) and copy/paste whatever current graphics were loaded in the PPU--or whatever the SNES has/uses.

Well, get out of the cess pit that is StealthPatch. Yeah, flyingace24 found something to work, but it's not like he actively searched for something other than an IPS patcher--he kind a took the first link that worked for him.

Try another patch system; I think you can always resort to a batch-file setup too. Or code your own patching system, if you're up to it.

Isn't there already unused space near the end of the ROM anyways, like, 4MB or something? Game data doesn't pile up that quickly to warrant an expansion.

The area between offsets D00000 and E00000 seems completely unused and that's where I placed the events and map of the prologue.

As for tilesets, I'm sure you know already, or hopefully flyingace or Nintenlord, but since both the SNES and the GBA use 15-bit RGB for colors, all you really have to do for the palettes is copy/paste the respective data from a ZSNES savestate over into wherever your colors are stored in the ROM, copy/paste whatever tiles you want wherever in the tileset (Seisen being Seisen, there's roughly a huge difference in the number of actual tiles), and then modify the respective tile tables (which tile does what) and the like. Simple enough~

I really don't see any reason to import actual tiles. Palettes, however, seem to be a pretty good idea.

Well for one, it's almost entirely likely the tilesets use different amounts of colors--you can't just brute force one palette from a game to the other, even if they're the same genre.

If you keep with the original tilesets and nothing else, you're going to have some pretty barren stretches of land. Seisen made use of menial tiles, such as slight slopes and the like, darkened patchs, none of which are present in the GBA versions of the game. Not to mention you'd have a hard time reconstructing the gorges found in some parts of the continents, such as Yied, Thracia, and the like :/

Yeah. It's funny how lots of people started using it after I did. When I first started, I didn't want to overwrite anything, afraid I'd mess something up, so I just expanded it. But yeah, as you and Nintenlord said, there is a lot of space that can be used without the need for expanding.

Well, we have some more pictures for you all.

LexAzelDarren.png

Lex, Azel and a new character! Who is it? You'll have to wait til' you play to find out! (Strangely that enemy has 50HP which is something I didn't catch before taking the screenshot.)

Arden.png

Sword Armor animation, behold!

Chapter1.png

A new picture of the starting point of our story.

Maps.png

A full look at the prologue map.

Skills.png

A skills option? Stay tuned for more info about that!

Fucking including the entire map. I think the epilogue might break that draw routine :3

I think we might get to an agreement, if you'd like to borrow some mugs for the characters.

We're thinking of splitting a few chapters up into multiple chapters.

That's really truly amazing. You are very talented. That sword armor animation pic looks completely in place.

Thank you but you should be praising Nintenlord, he did most of the prologue data and he inserted the Sword Armor animation.

• 2 weeks later...