Dakota's War Journal (Semiblind Fire Emblem Fates RP/LP) (Send me your castles!)

Alastor15243

LP direction  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do about covering the Paralogues?

• Cover all of them
    • Only cover the ones relevant to Dakota or that you feel you can do something interesting with
    • Don't cover any of them
  2. 2. What should I be able to edit about my character in Conquest/Revealtion?

• Boon/Bane, but not Talent
    • Talent, but not Boon/Bane
    • Both
    • Neither
    • Do what you like
  3. 3. Should I use the path bonus items?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify, I'm not talking about actually writing a script, more of an essay of sorts of what direction I would take the stories in, how I would re-allocate assets, what I would change about characterization and gameplay, etc. This isn't something that's going to be a multi-month project or anything, just a world building exercise to clear my head.

And to answer your question, I'd be using something more in line with canon Corrin except not a braindead coward. Though I think I personally would have called Corrin Dakota.

Edited by Alastor15243

Ahhhh, gotcha. Still, sounds like it'd be fun to read, and if focusing overmuch on this chapter is giving you this much trouble then taking a bit off for another creative outlet-even one linked as this is-is always a better move than banging your head against a wall.

Oh my poor sweet baby what have they done to you?

...So apparently now I have to go through this entire thread and click on edit for all of my entries to fix the spoiler tags.

And what's more, the new forum's built-in double-spaced enter button feature, or whatever it is, has completely fucked with the formatting. It looks like I'm going to have to go back through the entire series and re-edit it to conform with the new forum rules.

*Deep breath*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Knight of Shade said:

I grow... concerned. Are you still moving forward with this? If nothing else, I want to see this through, as there's nothing worse than a cliffhanger.

I'm really sorry about not updating here.

Basically, in the middle of that "What I'd do with Fates" thing, I realized I can't really do it justice until I complete this, as there are several ideas in there that I want to use that are actually ideas I'm going to use for this as well, and thus could potentially make readers suspect significant developments in advance if I did that first. I didn't make an announcement in case I changed my mind about that, but yeah, it's looking like that's the case. I've been doing other things to clear my head and write away the burnout and writer's block, and it's having some success, but I think the biggest obstacle that this playthrough has is just how fucking boring Revelation is to play.

I mean considering how I made the mistake of upping the narrative stakes here to have Dakota facing the full might of the true enemy, it's really, REALLY unfortunate that Revelation is by far the most boring path in the game so far and I've gotten too skilled at the game for Revelation Hard to prompt any challenge-born commentary in me. I mean I write these entries, doing my best to make the story exciting and the stakes high, and then suddenly the battle kicks in and nothing interesting happens. Honestly since I'm still pretty early in I'm thinking about restarting on Lunatic after completing the entry for chapter 9 and continuing on that file from then on. What do you think about that? Does Lunatic Revelation wind up getting really really crazy or something? I'm thinking it's the only way to keep me engaged like I was with Conquest.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Restart on Lunatic. I'm nearly done with Normal/Classic Rev, and once I'm done there, I'll probably do something like this, except starting in Rev and going to Conquest, and ending in Birthright/Lunatic. I'm not blind (except my vision is blurred on Birthright, as I have not played it.) I tried doing this with Awakening, but my computer died before I could get it working.

Yay! Some activity! 

As for restarting on Lunatic, I'd say go for it. However, the jump from Hard to Lunatic in Fates is not like it was in Awakeing, Lunatic is pretty much Hard mode but usually more skills, different enemy placements, more reinforcements, etc. It's harder but I don't know it it's actually that much harder than Hard. 

Although honestly, what DO you do with the story? It's very true that Revelations isn't actually that hard, it's a bit like Birthright with gimmicks and characters in that aspect. 

I wish you luck with whatever endeavors you choose. 

Just did a reread through Books 1 and 2.

Gotta say Alastor I wish Fates's story was as good as the one you cooked up...

But yeah, Conquest is the only route with a real noticeable change from Hard to Lunatic (i/e Most of the Generals in CQ Chapter 18 Lunatic have Wary Fighter, CQ Chapter 25 Lunatic's hallway of death is even worst with Inevitable End making it's "delightful" first appearance in CQ, etc.)

Edited by N30

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like this thread was abandoned. That's disappointing. I was really looking forward to finishing this. But...that means I have free riegn! MWAHAHA!

1 hour ago, KnightOfNohr said:

Looks like this thread was abandoned. That's disappointing. I was really looking forward to finishing this. But...that means I have free riegn! MWAHAHA!

Not quite, buddy!

Sorry I didn't say as much here, I didn't want to announce it out of concern of simply reminding people and getting their hopes up for nothing if it fell through, but basically, I got into a writing slump that I found it really difficult to get out of, and it took me months to finally be able to write again. But now I can, and so I'm going to try to get back to this after a slight interlude playing a game more fun than Revelation to help remind me why I enjoyed doing this in the first place (the fact that Revelation sucks balls was a huge part of why I couldn't muster the energy to continue this, so I was concerned going straight back into it might kill my momentum again).

So if anyone wants to check out how I fare playing another game, click here!

Sorry for not updating everyone. Again, I wanted to make sure that I stuck with this new project first before telling you. Isaac Baltimore isn't quite as fun of a character to write as Dakota though, so I am looking forward to getting back to this!

8 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Not quite, buddy!

Sorry I didn't say as much here, I didn't want to announce it out of concern of simply reminding people and getting their hopes up for nothing if it fell through, but basically, I got into a writing slump that I found it really difficult to get out of, and it took me months to finally be able to write again. But now I can, and so I'm going to try to get back to this after a slight interlude playing a game more fun than Revelation to help remind me why I enjoyed doing this in the first place (the fact that Revelation sucks balls was a huge part of why I couldn't muster the energy to continue this, so I was concerned going straight back into it might kill my momentum again).

So if anyone wants to check out how I fare playing another game, click here!

Sorry for not updating everyone. Again, I wanted to make sure that I stuck with this new project first before telling you. Isaac Baltimore isn't quite as fun of a character to write as Dakota though, so I am looking forward to getting back to this!

Alright, thanks for putting up with my randomness.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh. It appears I wasn't notified of new comments on this thread through email. But yay, some activity! 

I feel you on how Revelations sucked. Really, it's the same difficulty as Birthright, but with worse character balancing, and a strange story. Apparently the final story of Fates was heavily modified from the original draft the author had submitted, which would explain why it's so bad. 

Even if you don't get an update out for months, I'll be waiting since reading your story has been really nice. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Sorry I didn't say as much here, I didn't want to announce it out of concern of simply reminding people and getting their hopes up for nothing if it fell through, but basically, I got into a writing slump that I found it really difficult to get out of, and it took me months to finally be able to write again.

Have you considered maybe giving the Awakening war journal another go? I mean, sure the gameplay is a tad unbalanced but the story is written way better than Fates was.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:33 PM, Ren_Ambrose said:

Have you considered maybe giving the Awakening war journal another go? I mean, sure the gameplay is a tad unbalanced but the story is written way better than Fates was.

Hmm... actually... that may help give some context to what I have planned for "the three". I'll consider it once I finish up Invisible Inc once work slows down a little.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...WELL.

This certainly changes things.

Right, no more delaying things, the Invisible, Inc. playthrough is going to have to wait. Because it can wait. And apparently this can't.

I only have two more months to get the pictures for the rest of book 3 before conventional screenshotting becomes impossible on the 3ds.

Fortunately, if I hold off on the major writing and just write general commentary notes for the battle, I think I can push through the rest of the game and finish it easily within the next two months just like I did with Birthright, get all of the appropriate pictures for what I'm planning, and then once all of the images are safely secure, I can take what time I need for the more detailed conversations and narration and plot.

I know I haven't exactly been an examplar with my capacity to update in the year 2017, but the idea of this literally becoming impossible to finish is just unacceptable to me. It's now or never.

And I choose now.

Edited by Alastor15243