Dakota's War Journal (Semiblind Fire Emblem Fates RP/LP) (Send me your castles!)

Alastor15243

LP direction  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do about covering the Paralogues?

• Cover all of them
    • Only cover the ones relevant to Dakota or that you feel you can do something interesting with
    • Don't cover any of them
  2. 2. What should I be able to edit about my character in Conquest/Revealtion?

• Boon/Bane, but not Talent
    • Talent, but not Boon/Bane
    • Both
    • Neither
    • Do what you like
  3. 3. Should I use the path bonus items?

• Yes
    • No

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entry 6

Spoiler

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

...Where am I?

...What am I?

I feel like I'm drowning, War Journal. Drowning in a sea of time. Whole eternities passing by in seconds that last weeks that last days that last hours that last years, engaged in a struggle that is a mockery of struggle itself.

How long has it been since Dakota Waterstone Vendelgate of Nohr last sallied forth on her quest to save the world from an unfathomable evil? It could have been a hundred days or more for all I know.

Voices cry out for me. I can hear them. Voices beg me to move forward, crying out in desperation for the next chapter in a tale yet unfinished. Dying screams tinged with the icy cold fear that their screams have done naught but echo in the void. The fear that this tale may never be completed.

And yet here I stay, condemned to this hellish excuse of an existence. My hands are unfeeling, and my mind is stone. I feel as if I will be here forever, trapped in this sisyphean struggle with no end and no purpose.

This is a burden I have shouldered in the name of someone I love dearly. And yet I feel even that purest love stress-tested at full blast with every instant of this torture, as I stab my tiny mockery of a blade into my defenseless, lifeless target.

Stabbing and stabbing.

Over and over.

With no resistance or protest.

AND YET I AM THE ONE WHO BLEEDS.

...Gods help me, War Journal.

I think I might die here.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

(Sakura and Dakota are seated in Dakota's treehouse with embroidery hoops and needles. Sakura is in the middle of making a stitch)

Sakura: ...And then we put the needle through heeeeere.... and then... we push... it back... around... out... here! And... then...

(Sakura looks up at Dakota, who is looking at her embroidery hoop with a dead, thousand-yard stare)

Sakura: ...Um... Dakota?

Dakota: ā€¦

Sakura: If you missed a step or two, I can go back...

Sakura: Um...

Dakota: ...What is this?

(Sakura doesn't say anything, but just looks puzzled. Dakota grasps the embroidery hoop in a shivering deathgrip, level with her face.)

Dakota: What... animal invented this masterwork of tedium!? What loathsome degenerate first married steel to string in this unspeakable manner, and enabled this inhuman cruelty!? Tell me now, sister, so I can dig up their ancient blackened corpse and impale them on a pike for all to see, and soothe the guilt of my ebon soul! Have I truly inflicted this madness upon another human being? Has every bra, every pair of panties, every backless high-slit party dress my vain heart ever lusted for, come at this horrible, horrible cost!?

(Dakota throws the embroidery hoop and needle out the window, gets to her knees, and screams. Sakura just stares blankly.)

Sakura: ...So... that's a no... on the needlework?

(Dakota takes a deep, deep breath. In... and out.)

Dakota: ...Oh-kay. Happy place reclaimed. (Gets back to her feet and brushes herself off) Where were we? ...Ah. Yes. ...Sorry. I don't think sewing is really... for me.

Sakura: W-we don't have to keep going if you don't want to! I've already taken up enough of your time toda-

Dakota: No! ...Listen, Sakura. Right now, nothing's more important to me than spending time with my little sister. Let's just, um... let's just do something else.

Sakura: S-sure! Like what?

Dakota: Do you have any games you like to play? ...Oh! Have you ever played chess?

Sakura: What's chess?

Dakota: Oh. Right. Hoshido. Well, it's a board game where you move a bunch of different pieces representing an army, and each piece has different rules for where it can move.

Sakura: ...Oh! That sounds like shogi!

Dakota: Hm? Okay then, let's play shogi!

Sakura: But we don't have the board or any pieces... I had to leave in a hurry... I couldn't even bring any food or a change of clothes...

(Dakota pats Sakura on the head)

Dakota: It's just a bunch of squares and labels, right? Tell you what, sweetums: why don't we carve symbols into some of our spare gemstones, make those our pieces, and then play with a board drawn in chalk?

Sakura: Okay!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Dear War Journal,

The last couple of days have been a nice reprieve from the previous days' events. Aside from the usual mandatory training to keep ourselves sharp, I've taken the opportunity of no longer having a spy to give my team some time off. This allows us to get acquainted with our sudden near doubling of manpower and keep stress from overwhelming everyone.

And of course, just as importantly...

tBdhC9A.jpg

XhGeEZn.jpg

...I can spend some quality sister time I should've spent a long time ago.

Goodness have the last few days been eventful in that regard. We've done all sorts of things together.

First off, we played music together. ...We had to stop that almost immediately because the only instrument I know how to play is the recorder, and my stretching of the word ā€œplayā€ there probably constitutes a serious war crime. Still, fun while it lasted.

But we had plenty of other things to do. We had tons of fun riding together, first on pegasi, then on horses. Funniest thing, Sakura didn't actually understand what horses were and thought the Nohrians cut their pegasi's wings off for some reason. I actually caught her trying to use a bloom festal on one of them.

Oh my sweet innocent little strawberry. Bless your purest of hearts.

Anyway, I explained to her that they were like pegasi, but with no wings, bones that aren't hollow, far stronger leg muscles, and tougher skin.

We skipped kinshi and wyverns owing to not having any kinshi... and because wyverns terrify her.

As for that game of Shogi, I picked up the rules pretty quickly, but I pretended not to so Sakura could win a few times. I also taught her chess, which of course I had no excuse but to play to the fullest, but she didn't lose by nearly as much as I expected her to. She's actually not that bad at strategy games, she has a good eye for options and planning. She might actually make a good tactician in a pinch were it not for the whole crippling sweetness of hers.

We also did some swimming in the castle moat. It was...

...I mean it was fun, but... really, how do you describe swimming?

We moved through water. It was wet.

Moving on.

9Qkym6A.jpg

nOnlgTt.jpg

ecgMbsu.jpg

63nJLra.jpg

bcBB6Cw.jpg

OH! And I showed her how I decorate New Lilith, and I even let her help out in redecorating the place a bit with the new buildings that we have access to!

8G7J5iQ.jpgsQxRkH1.jpg

I also switched Jakob to cooking duty and had him cook Sakura some nice rice balls to make her feel more at home! That's, um, something that...

...Okay, as you can probably tell, I've been doing my best to keep Sakura's mind off of her... situation. Granted, she's not exactly hungry and stuck in a cave anymore, and she's living far more comfortably than most fugitives thanks to New Lilith, but still... this is not going to be an easy time for any of us, and Sakura least of all, especially when you consider that somebody she loved dearly is behind it all.

But all things considered, War Journal, she's being remarkably brave about it. She hasn't complained once, she's insisted on doing chores with the others, and she's always looking for ways to help me out. In many ways, in fact, she's even braver than I am. Oh, I'm tough, to be sure, temporary mental breakdown aside I don't think there's anybody who will deny that. But that was after a decade or so of military training, brutal drill instructors, and of course a liberal dose of good old-fashioned child abuse. Before that? From what I can remember I was... I believe the correct term is ā€œa whiny little bitchā€. She hasn't gone through anywhere near what I have and yet she's not taking it that much worse.

She's also absolutely determined to help out. She refuses to stay back in New Lilith when we're so short-handed and the stakes are so high, even if it means endangering her life. Furthermore, she doesn't want to make it any easier for anyone to believe that I kidnapped her. If there's even a chance her words will convince somebody, that's a chance she wants to take.

I... argued the point, shall we say, but you'd be amazed how hard she can be to argue with.

I can do this, War Journal.

I'm not going to fail her again.

ykXHccJ.jpg

Statistically, she is... way behind. But thankfully, healers gain more experience healing higher level allies, so I can take advantage of that to train her up quickly, and this time I have some pretty interesting plans for her, but I'll get into those when that becomes relevant.

uktbrlr.jpg

As for her retainers, Subaki's about what I remember. If he's as slow as he was last time, we're going to have some serious problems. For now he's our only flier, but I know of two ladies who are going to be replacing him sooner or later. As for Hana...

HVJwy3K.jpgMmJxiaX.jpg

Hana's made a full recovery from her injuries, but unfortunately the time she's spent bedridden has left her a little out of shape and down in a few key stats from what I remember of her start in the first timeline. She's doing her darnedest to make up for this with sheer willpower, but I'm not sure how long that will last. I definitely had more success with her than Subaki in the last timeline, however, and I doubt that a few missing points in strength and skill will change that at least. But like with Subaki, I'm hoping to retire her as soon as I get a suitable replacement.

Whenever that turns out to be.

j24fCta.jpg

On to Kaze.

...How shall I put this...

He's not very strong.

I mean he might be okay against mages, but other than that... good gods that attack stat is terrible.

He's another Locktouch unit, I suppose. I'm going to quietly phase him out of my army and safely retire him from active duty as soon as possible. I... kinda owe him that now, whether he likes it or not.

Right. On to business.

So! Let's assess our current situation! Plus sides first. We've put the EGC's propaganda machine on the defensive, we figured out what we need to do to get people off-world, we trashed a pivotal EGC magic lab, we rescued Hana and thereby got Sakura back (Whoo!), thereby securing the first of my eight royal siblings, and we now have a set of scrolls that Yukimura very much wanted destroyed.

As for the bad news... we have otherwise completely alienated both kingdoms for the time being, Takumi has been successfully possessed by Mikoto, the EGC has secured a dangerously close analogue of my body to experiment on, and we've been framed for a brutal terrorist attack.

Let's see... is there anything else?

Hm... You know... I could have sworn... that something else happened...

Oh yes! I remember now!

GARON'S RIDICULOUS CEILING DRAGON IS FUCKING REAL, AND HE'S USING GUNTER AS HIS SQUISHY MEAT-PUPPET!

...I don't know what the hell this Anankos fellow is, but he's powerful. The power I felt radiating from him... it's indescribable. He makes Garon and Mikoto look like children. Thank goodness he's vulnerable to Azura's song. ...Well... at least while he's possessing Gunter; I don't know how that's going to hold up if he ever comes at us directly... but if it weren't for that song we could very well have been killed right then and there.

I'll be frank, I do not like knowing so little about such a powerful foe. But to be honest? At the moment, there's not much we can do about that. We just have to stay vigilant, hope Azura can continue to hold him off if he comes back, and keep getting stronger in the hopes that one day we can defeat him. I've been going over what you recorded, and I'm not getting anything from that tiny encounter that could be useful in figuring out how to defeat him. So... for the time being I just have to accept this and move on.

So... moving on! We've been taken on a very important detour, but we have to get back to work. We need to expose Yukimura, cripple his effort to send Hoshido to war, free Takumi from Mikoto's control, and get Ryoma and Hinoka on our side before anything bad happens to them, thereby allowing us to meet Nohr on peaceful terms and arrange food aid as a show of goodwill and exposing Garon's propaganda as a transparent lie. Garon may force many of his soldiers to keep fighting regardless out of fear like he did in the last timeline, but that would still be a crippling blow that would secure the cooperation of my Nohrian siblings for sure without having to wait two precious weeks. This makes securing Hoshido vitally important.

twj4wWW.jpg

For now, that means attacking Yukimura's credibility however we can. So I've decided that, since we're only a short hike away from the Wind Tribe, we should try to contact Chief Fuga and convince him of our plight. Therefore, we will be stopping there shortly before hopefully heading back to Hoshido. Hopefully with the backing of one of Sumeragi's old friends, my story will become more credible. And while we're at it, if I remember correctly...

I'm fairly sure Fuga knows something.

Back in timeline 2, when we went to the Wind Tribe and Fuga executed that elaborate plan to kill Garon via mass asphyxiation, he was ranting about some dark future he had ā€œseenā€. Something that made the death of his entire tribe a worthwhile sacrifice. Granted, to put it mildly, he has something of a nonchalant view regarding the death of his people thanks to their reincarnation powers. But still... that was pretty dire.

...It's almost like he knew about the results of the EGC's plan, if not the details of the plan itself, or who was behind it. And that's to say nothing of the fact that he somehow got his hands on those otherworldly weapons.

Interesting. Just what on earth is his story? I'll have to ask for further details.

At any rate, we'll be making our way there shortly. I'll be riding with Subaki to the Wind Tribe and then we'll warp everyone in when we get there. And just in case we run into trouble...

r5BdIv4.jpgTQkDTMV.jpg

I've decided it's time to break out one of those ebon wings and reclass Anna into a Dark Flier. I've been looking at her growth tendencies and I've come to the conclusion she's more suited to a magical role. No complaints from her, she seems to agree. And she already has plenty of experience flying thanks to her first job at her company as a courier. Her newly bolstered magical power will make her a tremendous asset to the group.

Right, we're off! I'll report back shortly, War Journal.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

(Anna, Subaki and Dakota touch down just outside of Wind Tribe territory. Dakota summons Sakura, Hana, Kaze, Jakob, Azura and Mozu from New Lilith.)

Sakura: (Shivers a bit) That was... that was...

Dakota: Weird?

Sakura: ...Yeah... I-I'm sure I'll get used to it though!

Dakota: (Smiles) I'm sure you will. (Turns to the others) Alright, listen up! We're going to speak with Chief Fuga. Stay on your guard, everyone, but don't show it. They might already have been fed enough misinformation to be hostile to us, but in the meantime don't let them get the idea into their heads that we mean them any harm. Understood?

Sakura: A-and what about me? What should I do?

Dakota: (Turns back to Sakura) For the most part, just stand there looking cute and princess-y. As long as you can manage that, convincing Fuga should be a breeze. I know the whole public speaking thing isn't exactly your bag, so you can leave that to me.

Although you did fairly well that one time that shall not be mentioned.

Sakura: A-alright... But if you need anything from me, just let me know!

Dakota: Will do. Alright, let's move!

(Dakota and company start approaching the Wind Tribe border)

Step 1: Persuade Fuga.

Step 2: Find some way to get Ryoma and Hinoka's attention.

Step 3: With the help of Fuga and Sakura, get Ryoma and Hinoka to understand what's happening before Mikoto can use Takumi's body to frame us for anything else (which I'm positive she's going to do).

Current circumstances considered? Fairly good plan.

But that's actually sort of the problem.

It's good enough to be obvious.

And I have this nagging feeling that they might have already prepared for it.

Hm...

Wait, what's going on over there?

(As they reach the border, Dakota and the others see that a fight is breaking out between a lone woman and several samurai and oni savages. They pick up the pace to see what exactly is going on.)

Wait a second... I recognize that woman! That's...

Dakota: Rinkah!

(Rinkah tries to fight the warriors, but one of the oni savages manages to overpower her and force her to the ground)

...Of course.

koTxtQ2.jpg

Why, pray tell, did I expect anything more from her?

Rinkah: Rrrrrgh! Damn it all! Why won't you listen to me!? I'm telling you, you're all in grave danger! I must speak with Chief Fuga immediately!

(The oni savage presses harder on her face, and she notices Dakota)

Rinkah: Dakota!? (Rinkah is visibly torn about what she's about to say for several seconds, before finally giving in) ...Help me!

(Dakota walks up to the soldiers)

Dakota: Now, now, gentlemen, please! Yes, I'm sure the fact that some incompetent lightweight with painted-on abs is wearing the oni savage garb is viscerally offensive to you people, but that's no reason to get-aaaaaaaaand you're not Wind Tribesmen.

(Dakota immediately spin-kicks the oni savage pinning Rinkah in the face, knocking him off of her)

Dakota: They're EGC, people! This place has been compromised! To arms!

(Mozu, Hana and Subaki charge while Anna, Kaze and Jakob open fire. Dakota, meanwhile, helps Rinkah off of the ground)

Rinkah: (Through gritted teeth) ...Thank you.

Ooooh, someone sure doesn't like being rescued! Funny, you'd think she'd be used to it by now.

Dakota: Alright, there's not much time to explain, but the short of it is-

Rinkah: Yukimura's evil, I know!

Dakota: ...You do?

Rinkah: Listen, we have to see if Chief Fuga's still okay! I'll explain on the way!

Dakota: ...Right! ONWARDS!

(Click to open music in new tab) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8AzY9Z2xdA

(Dakota, Rinkah and company all run off towards the castle as Rinkah elaborates further)

Rinkah: Yukimura violated our alliance. We entrusted the royal family with our village's location decades ago, and a few days ago Yukimura came and attacked our village with a small army of elite soldiers! We managed to repel them, but just barely... and at a price. ...My father, the chieftain, he went to fight Yukimura, and he...

Dakota: Died?

Rinkah: No! ...Well, eventually, yes, but... look, I don't know what Yukimura did to him... he had this... this claw, made out of what looked like flaming obsidian, instead of a right hand...

Flaming... obsidian? Why does that sound familiar?

Rinkah: ...and then he plunged it into my father's chest, and... I don't know how to describe it... but my father was suddenly nothing but mindless shell. His eyes... they were empty and white. And then... Yukimura told him to attack us, and... and he did! He attacked his own people like they were nothing to him! Gods... the numbers it took to finally bring him down...

(Rinkah shakes her head)

Rinkah: It doesn't matter now! Dakota, we managed to capture one of their soldiers, and we got him to reveal a little about their plans. They're going after the chieftains of every mystic tribe, and they're planning on doing the same thing! We don't know why, but...

Dakota: (Eyes narrowing) I think I do.

Rinkah: My father's right hand is filling in, she sent the remaining living coldwalkers-

Dakota: Coldwalkers?

Rinkah: (Irritated) My tribe doesn't want its location known, they won't let just anyone get vulnerable to capture and interrogation! I'm one of a handful they trust to sooner die than reveal where the Flame Tribe village is. She sent us out to warn the tribes. ...I only pray the others weren't too late.

(Castle Reppu comes into view)

Dakota: ...Looks like we were. That's not what Castle Reppu's supposed to look like. For one thing, it's supposed to have a roof. No, there was a huge battle here, and judging by the EGC Wind Tribe impostors we ran into... I don't think the Wind Tribe won.

Rinkah: Molten tar! Then this was all for nothing...

Dakota: Not on my watch. (To everyone) Prepare for battle everyone! We're going in! There may be survivors!

eh9kMSg.jpg

sDD3DBO.jpg

Alright, War Journal, we're here.

Ugh. This place again. Looks like the winds are still here, but the vortex isn't. They didn't call the invisible death. Either Fuga's not under their control, or whatever they did to control him keeps him from being able to call it.

8DReI5S.jpg

...Damn it. Looks like it's the latter, War Journal. That... definitely fits Rinkah's description.

Whatever they did to Rinkah's father, they did it to Fuga too, and they have EGC soldiers stationed here to keep up appearances to the rest of the Wind Tribe.

...Guess that's a few questions I'll never get answered.

Which leaves the rather messy question of what they did with the real Wind Tribe soldiers, as well as...

...Huh. for a second I thought that diviner to the south of him was Hayato, but no, it's just an EGC diviner with a fancy outfit and haircut. Of course. I seriously doubt Hayato would be working with the people who did that to his father. We'll have to search for any traces of him or the others immediately after the battle. For now, if we can't get Fuga's help or testimony, we'll capture his empty shell and use that as evidence to Ryoma.

3adSlQA.jpg

Otherwise, this seems pretty straightforward, aside from the wind. With no apparent time limit, I'm having us all keep together so we minimize the potential for wind-based scares. Also, given the circumstances, I doubt anyone I care about will complain if we raid their chests. I gave Anna the okay, and she lit up like I told her that every holiday in the universe was coming early twice. I'm also authorizing the use of lethal force, with the caveat that Jakob is to avoid combat, since these are still Hoshidans, and we don't want to give the EGC any more charged souls.

Nothing else for it, let's get star-

Azura: DAKOTA, LOOK OUT!

(Azura pushes Dakota out of the way as a purple blast of energy whizzes from the western mountains and creates a small explosion around Azura. She cries out and falls to her knees.)

Dakota: AZURA! Are you okay!? What happened!?

(Azura gets up, but her arms are nearly limp)

Azura: My... my arms... they... they feel so weak... I can barely lift a weapon...

(Dakota glares off in the distance of the mountains)

Dakota: (Hisses) Damn it. Somebody's sniping at us from the mountains near the Eternal Stairway.

Subaki: Shall I investigate?

Dakota: Something tells me sending a lone flier after a magic superarcher isn't exactly the best idea. No, looks like we're stuck with our mystery sniper for the time being. Everyone, stay on guard and keep together! We don't know what else this sniper is capable of!

2mjHyWq.jpgmLftWey.jpg

PA0DeHR.jpgWrJcjCg.jpg

...Well this complicates things somewhat. At least it only took away Azura's strength; she can still sing. This doesn't interfere too greatly with my opening gambit.

mNPRkV2.jpgBAKYNXX.jpg

KzhWDNj.jpgXdAEMbh.jpg

Nbihx8p.jpgOgYFUNX.jpg

Thanks to a Rinkah pairup and a surge of strength, Kaze is strong enough to just barely kill this ninja in 2 hits, but ironically he's not fast enough to double them. So I team up with Hana and help her take him down with some help with positioning from Azura. Jakob heals and gets in range to bolster Hana's defense with Gentilhomme, and finally Mozu teams up with Anna to fly over and take out this ninja before he complicates things further. She misses, but she blocks off the pathway, so the ninja can't attack the rest of the group. Sakura, not in range to do anything meaningful, runs to catch up with the group.

Nothing much of note happens, except that Hana's attack power, even when bolstered by my pair-up bonuses and personal skill, is absolutely pathetic, and she can barely scratch the oni savage. She does dodge, at least.

Y88ljGj.jpgkb2MNXe.jpg

Damn it! The sniper just fired off another round, this time a red one, and at Sakura. She's confused and damn near tears, yelling something about bending space and only being able to see in four directions. She's terrified she's going to walk straight off the ledge.

SOMEONE IS GOING TO DIE FOR THIS.

I told her to stay calm and wait for my instructions before budging an inch.

At least it seems like Azura's gotten her strength back, so these only seem to last a single round. Good to know.

LMWNLiE.jpg

First off, I had Kaze and Hana finish off the oni savage, and Kaze got a really good level softening him up.

AudHDdW.jpgBtPXTTp.jpg

Next, this new thing we've learned those blasts can do to people is starting to get me worried about what kinds of situations we might find ourselves in, so I had Jakob grab my rescue staves, keep one, and pass the other to poor Sakura, then use Warp to pair up with Azura in case the gusts take her someplace unpleasant, that way Jakob can warp her back to safety even if she's afflicted with something.

7tWNzwo.jpg

Finally, Mozu took out the spear fighter, finally clearing out the southwest area.

Some of the EGC forces continued their advance on us while most stayed still, and then...

Another shot from the sniper, Azura again, and it's an orange-

r53JFKo.jpgrm1lNjY.jpg

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Xsz6u5w.jpg

And this, War Journal, is why I spent several painstaking hours getting her weapon rank up to C. I can do everything I can think of to keep her fragile ass out of danger, but something always winds up happening out of nowhere, and now she's suddenly decided to go full-on Barbarian Warrior Princess on the enemy's ass in defiance of all logic. Gods, I haven't seen her this pissed off since she gave warp-birth to twins in timeline one.

ivi8Gve.jpg

I considered having Sakura rescue her out, especially since store access means the rods aren't as scarce as they used to be, but I've calculated she can survive.

rdWrR11.jpg

Especially since I'm sending in Mozu to clear out the spear fighter she couldn't finish off.

Yep, it worked out fine. Which means it's right about time for...

...Yep, right on cue, yellow this time, and-

PIvzD9r.jpg3KHWm2Q.jpg

WHAT IS THIS SNIPER'S DEAL WITH AZURA!?

8pczD2f.jpg

Azura suddenly just ran away screaming about Jakob ā€œlooking at [her] too hardā€ before kicking Jakob's horse in the crotch and knocking him off of it and ending the round by screaming about thought-stealing herons.

RbR3C9w.jpg

...There's an enemy or two heading here from the east, so I have Kaze and Hana double back a bit to bait them without getting in the path of the gusts and getting severely separated from the group, then I have Sakura heal Azura.

WT3W05M.jpg

Finally, Mozu takes out the ninja while the dual guard is ready to protect her from debuffs.

Another purple shot got fired off, and now Jakob's stuck with the weakness status.

psCIqeI.jpgAthrG4J.jpg

Hana gained a very Hana level, and due to the winds not being favorable, I had everyone hold fast while Sakura and Jakob gained some experience healing. Sakura gained a very Sakura level as a result.

qnBfkgq.jpg

Damn it, reinforcements are coming in! I'll deal with them when they come.

3s2zzDc.jpgGhC3lX7.jpg

Aaaaand Jakob's been silenced. Perfect. Well at least we have Sakura to heal.

2lObwiA.jpg

Fortunately this round has no winds, so I have Azura assist Mozu in rushing after the retreating EGC archer.

OqhlGBM.jpg

This results in Mozu getting into a compromising position when she's afflicted with this ā€œMadness of the Castleā€, but fortunately, she has the very reliable safety net commonly known as being Mozu.

a0Em4ot.jpg

A few rounds and a few uneventful redundant status attacks later, we net our first treasure of the battle. Decent, but we already had one.

TfpoROU.jpg

However, it reminds me about our massive trove of weapons just in time to make use of them. See, Hana and I, in my desire to take out a fleeing enemy, wound up getting blown away from the group, knowing I'd be able to switch to the front and keep her safe if anything went wrong, and if anything went really wrong, I'd be able to just have us rescued out.

qE902Qe.jpg6aZ8YQJ.jpg

Anyway, realizing we have an axe splitter, I waste no time having Hana equip it, and then I have Jakob warp over to her for some extra defense just in case.

s6ttFFX.jpg

Meanwhile, Anna switches to the front to take out some of the northwestern enemies.

H47TBs9.jpg

Neat, though not the kind of money I was expecting.

yT80fF5.jpg

Excellent, Hana! I might just make you usable yet!

M0gWUdj.jpg

Aaaaand Sakura got hit with Madness of the Castle again.

wQ5TLSw.jpg

And now she's been hit by Paranoia!

21ONuQs.jpg

...Well, In happier news, we got a physic, so-

Damn it, in comes another shot at Sakura, this time it's orange... wait, isn't that Bers-

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have seen things today that I fear I may never be able to fully un-see, War Journal. Unknowable horrors which no living creature deserves to know of.

...Sakura remembers nothing of what she did, War Journal, and as far as I, the team, and yes, even you are concerned, there is absolutely nothing to remember.

The blast missed. She simply had a fainting spell out of shock, and we woke her up shortly after.

No force on heaven or earth will ever compel me to admit otherwise.

I have sworn the team to silence, and I vow, whatever I eventually do with your contents, never to publish what transpired on the previous page.

When. I. Get. My. Hands. On. That. Sack. Of. Shit.

c6LKZvY.jpg

...Ahem! Well, we got the last treasure at any rate: a cool 10,000 gold, so it seems like things are-

Bz4Ibwr.jpg

Indeed, Hana.

...Well, even if she turns out totally useless, she is a samurai still, and that means she's a method to get my hands on Astra if the need arises, so this has still been quite worthwhile whatever happens.

SxlFcde.jpgrznDNQc.jpg

Oh! And just when I thought our mysterious sniper had run out of new tricks, suddenly a blast of blue light hits Rinkah, and just like with Madness of the Castle her ability to process the space around her is horribly hampered, and she can only move in the intermediate directions.

At least it's not Sakura again.

ugiWLuK.jpg

Oh gollies and goshes, these reinforcements look like such easy experience, but I just don't want to waste too much time taking them out. Oh, if only there was a way to get to them quickly with Mozu and Anna.

LL2ESR6.jpg

Like this!

QjbXe41.jpg

Dakota: Give 'em hell, Mozu!

Mozu: They will beg for hell, mistress.

wkzLvnY.jpg

Dakota: That's the last of them! Kaze! Take Fuga's body out so we can subdue it!

Kaze: At once!

bVqOt6f.jpg4KW1hXo.jpg

...All clear!

Ā 

Ā 

...Alright, War Journal, the place is secure. We're in the process of searching the castle for any survivors, but we haven't had any luck yet, and we're running out of time... the EGC suspected we'd be here... which means the mystery sniper might not be the only enemy we'll have to deal with if we stick around too long...

Kaze: Lady Dakota!

Dakota: Report, Kaze.

Kaze: We failed to find any survivors. Numerous Wind Tribe corpses were scattered throughout the castle's halls, and many of them appeared to have fought bravely and took many EGC forces down with them, but we found nobody alive. Except...

Dakota: Out with it, Kaze, we're short on time.

Kaze: The dungeons, sir. The cells were all empty, but one of the cell doors showed the telltale signs of having been tampered with from the outside. It's possible they were keeping a survivor prisoner, but if so they were broken out, and broken out by somebody who is no friend of the EGC. ...Or whatever they thought the EGC were.

Dakota: Curious... but in that case, there's nothing we can do here. Mozu, give me a hand getting what's left of Fuga into the-

(An arrow goes flying through the air, whizzing just above Dakota's shoulder and hitting Fuga's soulless husk right between the eyes, killing it instantly.)

...SHIT.

(Everyone immediately scatters for cover, with Dakota and Anna hiding behind nearby sections of unbroken wall)

...Well. This complicates things.

Dakota: Anna, you're with me! Everyone else, retreat to New Lilith, now, before they get in range!

Sakura: A-are you going to be okay?

Dakota: Yes. Just trust me on this, Sakura, get back to the castle!

Sakura: ā€¦Alright! B-but be careful!

(Everyone but Dakota and Anna teleports back)

Anna: What's the plan, Chief?

Dakota: Anna. Lemme ask you something. If our mystery sniper could fire actual lethal arrows this whole time... don't you think they would have?

Anna: Well, duh!

Dakota: And yet they didn't. Which almost certainly means they couldn't. Now there are multiple possibilities, to be sure, but the most likely one that sticks out to me... is that they weren't in range before.

Anna: Makes sense.

Dakota: Which means they're in range now.

Anna: I follow.

Dakota: As in, away from the mountains.

Anna: Yes, yes, I get it!

Dakota: ...So how did that shot hit Fuga all the way up here... and come at a downward angle?

(Click to open music in new tab)

Anna: ...Oh. That would mean...

Dakota: ...that our mystery sniper can fly, yes.

Anna: Wait... doesn't that mean... wouldn't that mean Mikoto herself is-

Dakota: No. Yes, she can fly, but trust me, it can't be her. The queen has better places on the board to be. No... if it's even remotely possible for another to do the job, Mikoto'll have them do it. And then she'll use Takumi's body to frame me further.

Which means...

...Our mystery flying archer...

(Dakota looks out from behind the pillar and stares at the airborne bowfighter. It's Reina, poised atop her warbird, a manic gleam in her eyes)

And thus Reina's true allegiance is revealed.

And all at once, every puff of air, every blade of grass, every stagnant rock and every creeping thing all across creation, cries out in unison, a cry that rumbles the ground and shatters the sky:

ā€œNo shit.ā€

Reina: Ohhhhhh Yesssss... I knew you'd be here, Dakota! I just knew it... the world would not deny me this great and mighty battle against a kindred foe... for the fates can be cruel... the fates can be downright sadistic... but they are never... ever... BORING! This battle between two maidens of madness... forged in the earth's heartless fire... BATHED IN THE BLOOD OF A THOUSAND FOES AND READY TO DRINK THE BLOOD OF A THOUSAND MORE... HOW COULD THE COSMOS RESIST!?

(Reina swings and points her naginata)

Reina: You and I, we have been forged by chaos into unyielding perfect steel, Dakota! And I long to taste that steel... to feel it strike against my own... to clash... and clash... and clash... until the sound of our steel brings down the heavens, and sends blood raining down from the sky! Come out and face me, Dakota! It is destiny that we fight, we, we who have transcended good and evil! We who fight not with honor, but with madness! Let us tear at each other like raging beasts, that I might slay you like a rabid lion, and bathe in your blood, and suckle from your wounds as the light drains from your eyes!

Dakota: ...So that's the plan. Understood?

Anna: ...Oh! I'm sorry, was that plan supposed to make sense?

Dakota: We can't take her down with archers, Anna! Do you think I like this any more than you do!? It's our only option! Do you want us followed for five weeks by a bowfighter who can snipe us well beyond our bows' ranges!?

Anna: For the record, you're completely insane.

Dakota: Noted and acknowledged. Now get ready.

(Dakota steps out from behind the pillar)

Dakota: Reina! What an unpleasant unsurprise! How's the old gang faring without me?

Reina: SWIMMINGLY! Iago tells me that his research has borne fruit, despite your best efforts! But I care not...

(Reina draws her bow, an inelegant and malicious artifact of black crystals, smoking with purple fire)

Reina: All I care about... is that delightfully, I have been instructed that I need not take you alive!

...Well. That's not good.

One step at a time though.

Dakota: (Feigned pouting) Awww. Did Mommy replace me already? How exactly did they manage that?

Reina: Enough talk of the egghead's work, Dakota! You have better things to be worrying about!

Dakota: Why, you're absolutely right! I do! Toodles!

(Dakota nonchalantly walks straight off of the edge of the castle. Reina's smile is replaced by a look of utter indignation.)

Reina: COWARD! RANK AND BASEST OF CRAVEN FILTH! HOW DARE YOU!? HOW DARE YOU DENY ME!?

(Click to open music in new tab)

(Anna comes flying out of nowhere on her black pegasus, catches Dakota before she hits the ground, and swoops up, blasting a fire blast in Reina's direction before swerving away. Reina quickly dodges, and looks at Dakota in awe.)

Reina: ...A pegasus? Ha... haha... HAHAHAHAHAHA! OH, YES! YES! AS IF I COULD EXPECT ANYTHING ELSE FROM YOU! VERY WELL THEN! CHARGE LIKE A BULL, OR FLEE LIKE A BITCH! THE SAND BELOW WILL EMBRACE YOU ALL THE SAME! (Kicks the sides of her mount) YATAGARASU! WE'RE HAVING DARK MEAT TONIGHT!

(Cackling madly, Reina chases after Dakota and Anna, firing off a series of shots from her bow, a mix of normal arrows and status blasts, as Anna ducks and swerves to dodge them)

Anna: (screaming over the rush of wind) YOU'RE COMPLETELY CRAZY! DID I GET THAT ACROSS EARLIER!? COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR GODDAMNED MIND!

Dakota: OH SHUT UP, YOU HAVE THE EASY PART!

(Arrow whizzes past Anna's ear)

Anna: EASY!?

Dakota: JUST! STICK! TO! THE! PLAN!

(Anna and Dakota duck and weave between several ruined, tall columns amid the collapsed remains of a portion of the castle, dodging a constant barrage of arrows and energy blasts from Reina's bow, before breaking clear and making a beeline for a windmill, with Reina hot on their tail)

Reina: Ohohohohohoho... you think the windmill will protect you from me? Big mistake, little one... poor thing... so clever when threatened... but as defenseless and vulnerable as the tiniest babe... the moment you think you are safe. First rule of war, Dakota!

(Reina readies her bow as Anna and Dakota fly towards the windmill)

Reina: YOU ARE NEVER!

(Reina takes aim as Anna and Dakota prepare to pass between the windmill blades, preparing to time it so that the shot won't reach until the windmill blades are clear)

Reina: EVER!

(Reina fires, and the arrow reaches the windmill just as the blade moves away... but Anna and Dakota aren't there anymore)

Reina: ...Safe?

(Reina flies between the windmill blades, head turning wildly in search of Dakota and Anna, who seem to have vanished without a trace)

Reina: What... Where in the gods' names...

(The blades slowly turn behind her. Slowly one rotates up into view behind her, with Dakota clinging to the back of it. As the windmill blade rises to the proper height, Dakota leaps from it, kicks Reina in the back of the head, and swings as hard as she can with her Yato as the dropped bow flies through the air. It is cleaved in two, causing the two pieces to crackle wildly with purple lightning as they fall through the air beneath them, with one of the crackling pieces singing Yatagarasu's wing on the way down, causing the Kinshi to cry out in pain and start to lose altitude. Immediately Reina whips out her Naginata and begins to engage Dakota in melee combat atop her injured and falling mount, laughing like a lunatic all the while.)

Reina: YES... YES! YEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEES! OHHHHH! THE THRILL! THE RUSH! THE BLOOD COURSING THROUGH MY VEINS LIKE LIQUID FIRE! TRULY THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO TRULY FIGHT! I KNEW YOU WEREN'T A COWARD, DAKOTA! I KNEW YOU WERE LIKE ME! I KNEW YOU RELISHED THIS CHANCE AS MUCH AS I DO!

(More clashes, until the two weapons are caught in a struggle, each pushing their weapon against the other's)

Reina: VERY WELL, DAKOTA! YOU HAVE SET THE STAGE! HERE WE ARE, TWO WARRIORS, HUNDREDS OF FEET IN THE AIR, PLUMMETING HEADFIRST INTO THE DEPTHS OF HELL! SHALL WE DECIDE WHO WILL BE FIRST IN LINE!?

Dakota: (Straining with the effort of pushing her blade against Reina's naginata) YES... REINA! WE... SHALL! AND... DO... YOU... KNOW.... WHAT I... SAY.... TO THAT!?

Reina: (Butts heads with Dakota, grinning like a maniac) TELL ME!

(Music stops)

(Dakota sprouts dragon wings from her back, and suddenly steps backwards with a shit-eating grin on her face)

Dakota: Age before beauty.

(The air resistance lifts Dakota away from the falling Yatagarasu, as Reina stares with a dumbstruck look on her face as Dakota glides away to safety)

Reina: ā€¦

(The pieces of the bow, which had been falling faster due to less air resistance, hit the ground, causing two large, dark-purple explosions below)

Reina: Hehehehe.... heheheheheheheheheheh.... hahahahahahahahaha.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Just as she's about to hit the ground, there are some runes and a bright light, and both Reina and Yatagarasu vanish)

...Figures.

...I don't think we've seen the last of her, War Journal.

But the point is that the way is now clear.

Let's go.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

WOW HOLY SHIT YEAH UH YEAH UH YEAH SORRY GUYS

I hope this thing that cannot possibly be worth the ridiculous wait was worth the ridiculous wait.

As I said before, basically a combination of poorly-timed writer's block and full-on Fates burnout are to blame. I just could not think of a good way to finish off this entry due to a variety of factors. But I decided to basically just suck it up and release it anyway so you have something to read while I try and get all of the images ready to do the rest of the story.

Hope you enjoyed!

Edited by Alastor15243

So, why aren't you using Fuga and Hayato? Also, putting a spoiler for my next question.

Spoiler

If Reina was the one who attacked the Wind Tribe, does that mean you will have to save Saizo from Orochi and Reina in Chapter 11 if Orochi is also evil?

Ā 

Just now, Hylian Air Force said:

So, why aren't you using Fuga and Hayato? Also, putting a spoiler for my next question.

Ā  Hide contents

If Reina was the one who attacked the Wind Tribe, does that mean you will have to save Saizo from Orochi and Reina in Chapter 11 if Orochi is also evil?

Ā 

I don't really want to spoil anything.

for the spoiler question, fine, but I just want to know the gameplay reason for why you aren't using Hayato? Also, why did you make Fuga's Wild Ride a crapshoot again? Thankfully, you didn't torture yourself as much as you did last time. Also, are the "dead/evil" characters being killed off offscreen, or are you just not using them? Also, what do you think of mine so far? I have the screenshots ready for Chapters 4 and 5, but I want to get all of the screenshots before November 8th rolls around.

1 minute ago, Hylian Air Force said:

for the spoiler question, fine, but I just want to know the gameplay reason for why you aren't using Hayato? Also, why did you make Fuga's Wild Ride a crapshoot again? Thankfully, you didn't torture yourself as much as you did last time. Also, are the "dead/evil" characters being killed off offscreen, or are you just not using them? Also, what do you think of mine so far? I have the screenshots ready for Chapters 4 and 5, but I want to get all of the screenshots before November 8th rolls around.

Maybe there isn't a gameplay reason why I'm not using Hayato. Did I ever say he died?

If you're talking about the status effects, that was something I wanted to add to mix it up.

And the dead/evil characters are going to be killed off offscreen so I don't have to worry about them showing up in screenshots.

Right, doing chapter 10 now, though I won't be posting it until I have all the pics for everything obviously, but seriously...

SERIOUSLY.

I almost want to skip this chapter entirely because it's not only so bullshit and stupid but it's also so ridiculously easy that it kind of completely kills the mood of the story I'm trying to tell. What is Dakota supposed to say about this battle aside from "The enemies have put themselves in a situation where they're all easily ambushed and continuously hand me tons of free shit"? What the hell were the developers thinking!? I have something really cool planned for the story of this chapter, but the gameplay itself is so uneventful that I can't even make it mesh with the story! Please tell me the whole third path isn't like this and that the difficulty picks up eventually!

PLEASE!

Entry 7

Spoiler

Ā 

Dear War Journal,

Well, let's start off with the usual basics. Not much has happened...

g4znb28.jpgdOfaEPH.jpgmwO5qtl.jpg

...I finished building the arena and the two magic dragon statues...

pKEXHgR.jpg

...spent some more time with Sakura...

...but most importantly of all, I talked with Rinkah some more about what happened back at the Fire Tribe village. After some questioning, I reminded Rinkah about Ganglari and, as I suspected, she immediately confirmed that it, Reina's bow, and the claw Yukimura used on Rinkah's father are all made of the same bizarre and diabolical material. Curious.

PRbe8Mf.jpg

But what's more important is that we figure out what they're doing to these tribe leaders with that claw, and even more importantly, stop them at once. While deliberating on where to go next, Rinkah informs me that apparently the royals of Izumo are also one of these ā€œmystic tribesā€, known as the ā€œAether Tribeā€.

Oh dear.

Considering what I know about that contemptible little rat Zola and his, erm, ā€œactivitiesā€ in the other timelines, I think it's pretty safe to say that Izana is in very serious and very immediate danger. So I'm going to have us saddle up and head out for Izumo immediately to see if we can rescue him.

Ā 

Ā 

...Yeah, about that...

Zola ambushed us almost immediately upon entering the village that surrounds the castle. He... is acting very strange, War Journal. And I mean beyond Zola strange. He's a psychotic nervous wreck, and what's more, he seems exceedingly desperate for some reason. He seems to have guessed, correctly might I add (broken clock and twice a day and all that), that either I already knew his true identity or that his Izana disguise would not survive long in my presence, so he hoped to ambush me while I thought I was ambushing him.

Clever girl.

But at any rate, his forces don't seem too numerous, so this shouldn't be-

Duhbblz.jpg

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK.

QWsNuxk.jpg

WHAT IS THIS RANCID WEEK-OLD CORN-RIDDEN HORSESHIT!?

It would appear Zola has finally abandoned that tiny last scrap of dignity he was holding on to for all this time and used this cowardly and disgraceful ice bomb on us. And it appears to be infused with whatever bullshit magic or aura or fumes that interfered with my dragonvision that one time I can't go into detail about! I can't see a damned thing besides Zola and his core guard, but I know, I just know there's more of his troops hiding out in this ice on the way over.

I don't even know how this works yet and I already want to rip someone's head off.

nldogP1.jpg

Right, let's go with two combat pairs and two support units. I'm not sure what we're going to be facing here, but whenever facing the unknown, quality always trumps quantity, and it's not like we can bring too many fighters anyway. In the event of an absolute emergency, Sakura can pair up with Azura, whose defense is still on par with my other frontline fighters thanks to the guard naginata I taught her to use (best decision ever!).

No sense in stalling, War Journal, we've got an eccentric archduke to rescue.

Begin.

azdtdtl.jpg

Zola: (Deeply disturbed laughter) Y-yes, y-yes! N-now you'll have to fight your way to us! Surrounded on all sides by enemies you can't even see!

3DvdABV.jpg

Zola: ENEMIES LURKING BEHIND EVERY CORNER!

A5pJSfn.jpg

Zola: ...Enemies that can't move until you decide to break them out...

wktFBOn.jpg

Zola: ...and thus are all completely susceptible to ambushes... and spread too thin to survive a single round of combat...

tHarGIz.jpg

Zola: ā€¦letting you steal their stuff...

bcMocn2.jpg

Zola: ...and work your way towards me... at your leisure...

coRFIV0.jpg

Zola: ...slowly and surely... making your way... with plenty of time to heal between every single enemy you fight...

OHUf8Zt.jpg

Zola: SWEET MOTHER OF THE DUSK DRAGON ROTTING IN THE ROAD ON A HOT SUMMER DAY, WHAT HAVE I BEEN SMOKING!?

9rklAqV.jpg

QYO4okn.jpgZzEfLzU.jpgIYfK45g.jpg

Dakota: PRESENTS!? FOR ME!? YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE!

uk7avk0.jpg9lMwxqV.jpg

Zola: This... no... how...?

2pQnCO3.jpg

Zola: But... but I worked so hard on that ice bomb!

zWXY5oL.jpg

Zola: IT WAS BRILLIANT!

J4Ooyie.jpg

Zola: A MASTERWORK OF MAGIC CRAFTSMANSHIP!

MJKbRmA.jpg

Zola: IT WAS SUPPOSED TO REVOLUTIONIZE WARFARE!

Y5HknBh.jpg

Zola: HOW COULD IT HAVE BACKFIRED THIS BADLY!?

qq4DmOl.jpgYJsRSrY.jpgVJpKWP6.jpgTZMfs2q.jpg

Zola: AND HOLY SHIT GUYS, WHEN I TOLD YOU TO RAID THE IZUMO ROYAL TREASURY, I DIDN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD BRING THE WHOLE FUCKING VAULT INTO BATTLE WITH YOU!

JobmZaa.jpg

Zola: This is... This is a catastrophe!

B2OIbQP.jpg

Zola: A disaster!

QJpugLk.jpg

Zola: A COMPLETE AND UTTER CRITICAL FAILURE!

fnsivd9.jpg

Dark Mage: Sir! Dakota's forces are headed right for us, Sir!

q5o9K1C.jpg

Dark Mage: Battle is imminent, Sir!

tAEcQIn.jpg

Dark Mage: Also I hate you, Sir!

Zola: Acknowledged!

7PM3gNg.jpg

Dakota: Why Zola, darling, how positively splendid to see you! Charmed! Mwuh, mwuh! Air kisses! Now then... would you be so kind as to escort me inside?

Zola: ...Meep.

8Ww41n2.jpg

Dakota: (Whispering into sending stone ring) Jakob, are you with Hana?

Jakob: (From Dakota's sending stone ring) As you commanded, milady.

Dakota: Good. Be on standby for emergency evacuation. Something about this... is off.

Jakob: Of course.

Dakota: (Lowers ring) Alright now, Zola...

60FzldR.jpg

(Zola, mumbling incoherently to himself and terrified out of his mind, guides Dakota down into the basement, into a large room, empty save for a magic circle drawn onto the opposite wall and a pedestal in the center holding a large orb glowing brilliantly with a white light)

Zola: Ah... you... you fool... why? Why did you bring me back...? Do... do you have any idea...? He's coming... He's coming! AND HE'LL BE SO ANGRY!!!

Dakota: What are you talking about? Who are you talking about?

Zola: (Completely unhinged) Hehe... Heha! Hehahahahaha! Nope! Nothing out of me! You want to know where Izana is? You'll just have to find out with the rest of them! They should be here aaaaaany minute now!

What...?

Oh.

SHIT.

(The magic circle on the wall suddenly glows dark purple, and opens up into a wide, circular portal ringed in purple smoke. Out from it steps Yukimura, sporting a vicious-looking mechanical hand with sharp, jagged, black crystalline claws that are smoking with evil purple smoke. He is quickly followed by...)

SHIT.

IT'S ANANKOS.

Looks like he's still in Gunter's body... this could be bad. This could be very bad.

Yukimura: (Pushes up glasses, looking sternly cross at Zola) Zola. I wondered why you hadn't summon me yet. I should've known you would have blundered this somehow.

Dakota: (Whispers to Mozu, Azura, Anna and Sakura) Get ready to hold them off. On my signal, we're evacuating. Sakura, stay back, you're first in line out of here.

Yukimura: ...And yet I take it by the fact that you managed set up the gateway that you at least managed to secure the castle and restrain Izana. Good. Well? Where is he?

(Zola cackles madly to himself. He's completely lost his mind. His pupils are shrunken and his smile is grotesque.)

Zola: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! DEAD! HE'S DEAD! DEAD BEFORE I COULD CALL YOU, YUKIMURA! DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD! AND THEN HIS SOUL JUST FLEEEEEEEEEEEW AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! UP! AND UP! AND UP!

Yukimura: WHAT!? You... you... He... HOW!? YOU WERE UNDER EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS NOT TO HARM HIM! HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO BOTCH THIS!?

That's... weird. Yukimura doesn't usually lose his cool like this... he almost looks...

(??? is shaking violently, his eyes suddenly full of rage)

...scared.

???: He... he's... dead!?

(Yukimura turns to ???, terrified)

???: IZANA IS DEAD!?

(???, with lightning speed, rushes over to Dakota's group, grabs Zola, and brings him back, choking him while lifting him up from the ground one-handed)

SHIT!

Dakota: Azura! Your song! Keep him away from us! (Into her sending stone) Jakob! Get us out of here, now!

(Jakob warps in, grabs Sakura, and warps back out. Azura starts singing)

???: YOU USELESS... YOU HORRIBLE... HOW COULD YOU DO THIS, ZOLA!?

Yukimura: I-it's okay, Lord Anankos! We... we don't need all of the chiefs' souls! We already have three of them! We can still perform the ritual without Izana's, it'll just take us a little longer!

???: THIS! IS NOT! ABOUT! THE RITUAL!

(???'s eyes glow deep purple as the ground beneath him shatters. The old man's face is contorted with rage as his voice echoes with a thousand other voices. He tosses Zola to the ground, his neck so thoroughly crushed there can be no doubt that he is dead. He stares at the orb in the center of the room.)

???: WHO'S GOING TO EXPLAIN HOW THE ORB WORKS NOW!? HE WAS THE LAST ONE, YUKIMURA! THE LAST PERSON WHO KNEW! NOW THERE'S NOBODY LEFT WHO KNOWS BUT... BUT HIM...

(??? does not gesture to indicate who ā€œheā€ is, but starts radiating even more power, causing the very walls of the castle to rumble)

???: AND HE!

(??? Stomps on the ground)

???: WON'T!

(??? Punches the wall with the rune on it)

???: TELL ME!

Yukimura: (Visibly frightened, and speaking into a sending stone ring) Orochi! Get me out of here! Now!

(In an instant, Orochi warps to Yukimura's side, and warps him away again)

(??? moves towards the orb, furious and, to Dakota's shock, in tears. ??? grabs the orb in both hands and glares at it, his hands shaking.)

???: WHY!? WHY!? WHY WON'T YOU GIVE IT TO ME!? WHY DID YOU GIVE IT TO HIM, AND NOT ME!? HE DOESN'T WANT IT! HE WON'T EVEN USE IT! HE DOESN'T CARE! AFTER ALL THAT... AFTER EVERYTHING... HE DOESN'T CARE AT ALL! ALL OF THAT POWER... HE COULD DO IT IN AN INSTANT... AND HE WON'T! NOT EVEN TO... NOT EVEN FOR...

(??? shrieks at the top of his lungs as Jakob pops in and out to extract more of Dakota's team. ??? falls to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks.)

???: I... I don't have any other choice... if you won't give it to me... and if nobody can tell me how to make you give it to me...

(Jakob teleports Azura out. Dakota is the only one left to evacuate. ??? begins to press his hands against the sides of the orb, his hands smoking with malicious purple smoke.)

???: THEN I'LL TEAR YOUR SECRETS OUT OF YOU BY FORCE!

(??? crushes the orb between his bare hands. It explodes. There is a burst of bright light, and shards of the orb scatter in all directions. One is flying towards Dakota as Jakob warps back in to extract her, but it hits her square in the heart before he can warp her away.)

Dakota: (Screams)

Jakob: LADY DAKOTA!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

(The orb room. No ???, no Dakota, no Jakob. Nobody but Zola, putting the finishing touches on the magic circle on the wall, and Izana, tied to a column by the orb, not looking overly put out about his predicament.)

Zola: I... I did it! I actually did it! HAHAHAHA! YES! FINALLY!

Izana: Yep! I gotta say, that was a pretty cool trick of yours! How'd you manage to impersonate my hairdresser and my manicurist at the same time?

Zola: Hehehehehe... oh, what a silly question... that won't matter much longer...

Izana: So, here we are, me tied to the colum, you... drawing... circles. What happens now?

Zola: Hehehehehehe... what happens now... is that I call my boss over here... and he's going to use a special, special little gadget of his to rip out your soul! And after we tear it strip by strip to get all the useful information out of it... we're going to use what's left... and... oh... but I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise...

(Izana suddenly looks grave)

Izana: ...You're going to destroy the world.

(Zola is taken off guard)

Zola: ...How... how did you know?

Izana: Fuga and I have our sources. We saw what you're trying to do... if only we knew who had been behind it, maybe we could have done something...

(Zola looks at the orb)

Zola: Ah yes... the orb of knowing... yes... yes, we've been wondering how that little trinket works... but don't worry... you'll be joining Fuga soon... or what's left of him!

(Izana now looks angry)

Izana: You... you didn't! You got to him first!?

Zola: (Ignoring him) And then... and then I'll finally be pardoned! And I'll get to live in the new world as a king! ...Well... okay, probably just a noble...

(Zola turns to Izana)

Zola: Well! I'm about to call him! And then... and then... you can say goodbye to your soul!

(Zola laughs maniacally. Izana just glares at him.)

Zola: SO... Any last words?

(Izana just glares. But then suddenly his eyes go wide. And then he sighs. ...And then he smirks.)

Izana: Sure. Just one.

Zola: Out with it, then!

Izana: ...Valla.

(Zola's eyes go wide as Izana's body turns a clear, gelatinous blue.)

Izana: Whoopsie! Was I not supposed to say that?

Zola: You... b-but... n-no! NO!

(Izana begins to dissolve, from the feet up, sinking through his ropes and slowly melting into a puddle on the floor with a shit-eating grin on his face)

Izana: Oh gollies! ā™ŖGuess this mean's I'm dyyyyying!ā™Ŗ That's just too bad, isn't it? Better call your friend quickly! Ohp! There go my knees!

(Zola is staring in terrified, furious, incoherent disbelief, seemingly seconds from ripping out his own hair)

Izana: What's the matter!? Better hurry! I'm meeeeeelllllltiiiiiiiiing!

Zola: YOU... YOU SPITEFUL, INSOLENT LITTLE TROLL!

Izana: Hahahahaha! ā™ŖGuilty!ā™Ŗ Oh, the look on your face! It almost makes this worth it! You should see yourself in a mirror! It's priceleeeeeblblblblblblblblblblblblblbllblbblbllbbl...

(Izana is gone. There's nothing but a puddle of water where he used to be. Suddenly, a bright, glowing-blue wisp, like a cloud of glowing smoke, flies away from the puddle and up through the ceiling. Zola is on his knees, hands on his head, screeching incoherently like an indignant rabid monkey.)

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Jakob: Lady Dakota!

Dakota: ...Huh?

(Dakota gets up. They are well outside Izumo village, and upon turning around, Dakota sees that the entire castle of Izumo has been completely destroyed.)

Dakota: What the... what... what happened?

Jakob: I went immediately to heal your wound, milady, but... there was no would to heal. There doesn't even appear to have been any damage to your armor.

Dakota: Did... did anyone else see...? But I was... but I was right...

(Dakota shakes her head)

Dakota: Another time. I have new information I need to process. Back to New Lilith, everyone!

...I don't know what the hell just happened, War Journal...

...But I don't think I like much of what I just heard.

At any rate, it's just as I said.

I have a lot to think about.

Ā 

Ā 

Post-Entry commentary:
Ā 

Spoiler

Ā 

Good heavens! Did I just complete an entire entry in a single day? You know, like IĀ used to!?

So! I thought I'd try and test myself and see if I'm still capable of pushing out an entry in a single day like I could back when things were simpler in the days of Birthright! Lemme know how you think I did! I wanted to experiment to see if I actually had to hold off writing the actual entries just in case doing the actual writing later damaged my creative mojo. If I couldn't manage it I vowed to just keep going so as not to run out of time forever. But it's the strangest thing! I actually had tons of creative energy today! More than I've had in a long, long while! I could just write and write and write! I know it's not as long as my usual entries, but I'm thinking that might have been the problem, that the series was getting way too text-heavy and verbose and that I needed to cut back a little bit. Lemme know what you think and if you think I should keep trying this until it stops working, or if I should just crank out the screenshots for now so I can focus on making it more verbose and better-written later.

Also, I hope you like what I did with Izana. I head about his death well in advance in my "let's straighten this out since Revelation is gonna be weird" research (I haven't actually seen any of the revelation maps in action though, just the plot), and I had decided as soon as I heard about it that if he had to die, he was going to believably have to, and more importantly be a lot more badass while doing it. I hope I accomplished that. Again, lemme know what you think!

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Alastor15243

What's this in my in- oh. Ooooh. And two of them?

You've done pretty great with the material you're given. I especially liked how Zola and Izana were portrayed, compared to their game counterparts. On the other hand, kind of sad that Reina is getting the Orochi treatment (even though I saw that coming for months).

On a side note, now that I remember it, the "Valla" plot device was poorly thought-out in Revelations. Was there anything to stop Corrin and Azura from simply using codewords or making up a story to Ryoma and Xander?

That bit with Izana felt really in character tbh. I could totally see him doing something like that in a situation like this.

On another note, I suppose Miiverse shutting down would be a bit of a roadblock for a continuation of the Awakening war journal, unless you decide to not work in screenshots for one reason or another. Good luck if you decide to try to figure something out for that.

Just now, Ren_Ambrose said:

That bit with Izana felt really in character tbh. I could totally see him doing something like that in a situation like this.

On another note, I suppose Miiverse shutting down would be a bit of a roadblock for a continuation of the Awakening war journal, unless you decide to not work in screenshots for one reason or another. Good luck if you decide to try to figure something out for that.

He never took screenshots for that. He just wrote it.

Entry 8

Ā 

Spoiler

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

(Samor, a little boy, is sitting in bed as his mother, Telistria, peruses a shelf of shining crystals along the wall)

Telistria: What story would you like me to read you tonight, dear? The Fox and The Wolf? The Golden King?

Samor: I want a different story tonight, Mom.

Telistria: Oh? And what would that be, sweetie?

Samor: I want to hear... about the First Dragons.

Telistria: (Looking uncomfortable) ...I don't know, Sammy... it's a pretty scary story. I don't want you having nightmares, you have your studies tomorrow.

Samor: I'm old enough to hear it, Mom! And besides, I'm tired of not knowing! Koto keeps making fun of me for it! I promise I won't freak out!

(Telistria takes a crystal from the shelf and holds it in her open, cupped hands. It begins to levitate and spin above them.)

Telistria: ...Well... if you're sure... ...You are sure?

(Samor gives one determined nod)

Telistria: ...Very well...

(The light begins to fill the room. Suddenly, everything in the room but Samor and Telistria vanishes. Samor and Telistria seem to be floating through a black, starry void, Telistria standing up, Samor seemingly lying back on thin air. Suddenly a blue and green planet, encircled by two moons, comes into view.)

Telistria: Long ago, long before you, or I, or anyone today was alive... there was no Valla. No shining eternal sky, no dragon veins... nothing but a vast, black and glittering void in all directions... full of suns... stars... moons... planets...

(Telistria waves her hand purposefully across the surface of the crystal, and all of a sudden a purple, glinting flash of light shines in the distance.)

Telistria: ...And monsters.

(Another series of gestures, and the vision suddenly zooms in. Samor pulls the invisible covers closer to his face as the glint is revealed to be a huge and terrible dragon, glowing bright purple, covered in spikes, and burning like a shooting star, wreathed in malicious-looking purple fire. The dragon lets out a terrible, screeching roar, a roar that sounds somehow muffled, despite its power and terror being undiminished.)

Telistria: And this is the tale of one of them: a great and terrible monster, a fiend from beyond the furthest stars. Bokkorost, the Void Dragon! A wretched creature who burned with a purest hatred for life itself! It had lived for thousands of years, and in every one of them it had left nothing but evil and suffering trailing in its wake!

(A brilliant beam of golden light from out of nowhere sweeps across the void, and Bokkorost just barely manages to dodge it as the beam crosses its path)

Telistria: ...However... it was not alone. And it was not welcome.

(The invisible room soars through the stars once more, and the vantage point turns, and Samor sees a magnificent golden dragon, shining with a radiant golden light, chasing after it. Bokkorost turns to look at him and lets out a vile roar.)

Telistria: Hot on its trail, locked in a heated battle, were its sworn enemies: Kotsuno, the Dragon of Dawn...

(A mighty blast of dark silver light hits Bokkorost squarely between the wings as its back is turned, and the view swerves again to show the source of the blast: a dragon of such a deepest jet black that she can barely even be seen but for the countless stars she blocks from view.)

Telistria: ...and Malinra, the Dragon of Dusk.

(Bokkorost roars with rage and a tremendous shockwave blasts them both backward. It then opens its mouth wide, and blasts forth a wide cone of purple fire at its attackers. Kotsuno and Malinra, however, soar through space undaunted, swerving out of the way and rushing at Bokkorost simultaneously, slamming straight into it and sending all three of them hurtling towards one of the moons of the little blue and green planet.)

Telistria: Together they had fought the dragon for centuries, chasing it throughout the cosmos, hounding it from world to world, determined to slay it once and for all! For they had seen its evil firsthand... the horrors it unleashed... the devastation it left behind... ā€œNo more,ā€ they said! ā€œYou will never escape us, Bokkorost! If it takes us a thousand years... if it takes us until our dying day... if it takes us so far from home that we may never return...ā€

(All three dragons crash straight into the moon and blast clean through the other side in mere seconds. A moment's delay, and then the entire moon explodes in a brilliant explosion of golden and dark energy,)

Telistria: ā€œWE WILL STRIKE YOU DOWN!ā€

(The three dragons crash into the blue planet's vast ocean. The force of their impact splits the sea in an explosion so violent that the water is sent flying into the heavens, laying the ocean floor bare as they continue to battle in what is by all appearances a torrential rainstorm.)

Telistria: Their campaign at last saw its final battleground on a small, distant world.

(Bokkorost takes to the sky again and rains purple fire upon the ocean floor as Kotsuno and Malinra take flight to pursue it, flying through the air at blinding speed, clashing and striking as mere blurs in the sky and conjuring violent winds as they fight amid a storm that blackens the sky.)

Telistria: They fought with tooth and claw, breath and magic...

(Kotsuno finally tackles Bokkorost out of the sky and sends it groundward, but Bokkorost delivers a nasty bite to the side of his neck on their way to the ground)

Telistria: ...suffering mightily in the process.

(Malinra, swooping down and gliding across the still-shallow ocean, rushes Bokkorost as it forces Kotsuno off of it, and when Bokkorost unleashes a column of purple fire from its mouth at Malinra, she fights back with one of her own. But when, after nearly ten seconds of the clash of fire against fire, Bokkorost's blast overpowers hers, she rushes straight through the blast, letting out a pained roar as she sends one of her claws straight into Bokkorost's heart. The fire clears, and Bokkorost reels back in pain as Malinra, still smoldering with purple fire, helps Kotsuno to his feet and together they take to the sky. Together they slam down upon Bokkorost, and the ground trembles as it screams its eerie muffled scream. They strike together yet again, this time at Bokkorost's neck. Bokkorost's scream is drowned out by the sea as enough water returns to submerge its head. Kotsuno and Malinra each grab one of Bokkorost's arms, and thrust the stunned dragon high into the air. Kotsuno and Malinra then take in mighty breaths, gathering their magic fire in their throats, and blast the Void Dragon together with a united blast of light and dark. Bokkorost shrieks in pain as the blast strikes it, parting the clouds and piercing the heavens.)

Telistria: But in the end... Kotsuno and Malinra triumphed.

(Bokkorost's lifeless body is sent flying and finally crashes onto a nearby mountaintop with a deafening ā€œBOOM!ā€. Kotsuno and Malinra pursue to ensure it is dead, and watch as the body begins to collapse into a flaming purple slime that sears the rock around it and sinks into the ground, leaving nothing but a blackened, grotesque skeleton. Kotsuno and Malinra, satisfied, turn to each other and nod, before flying away from the mountain.)

Telistria: The dragons of dawn and dusk breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that finally, at long last, their ancient battle was over. This land would be the Void Dragon's final resting place.

(A shot of the dragons from below. Kotsuno suddenly turns his head and looks down, freezes, then swoops down in pursuit of something unseen. Malinra swiftly follows.)

Telistria: But alas...

(The two dragons swoop down to behold a ruined and devastated landscape. The land is flooded, the plants ripped clean from the earth, and the ruined remains of structures of stone and mortar lay scattered across the ground. Kotsuno again dives down even further, Malinra following shortly after.)

Telistria: ...the two dragons soon discovered... that the stage of their final battle...

(Kotsuno gently picks up the lifeless body of a small boy, lying sprawled among the wreckage)

Telistria: ...had been our home.

(Malinra, stunned, takes off at top speed)

Telistria: Malinra took to the skies at once. It couldn't be true, she told herself. They couldn't have been so careless. Surely they would have noticed. Surely their mission could not have blinded them so! Surely, in their quest to spare the cosmos from Bokkorost's wrath once and for all, they could not have wrought the kind of devastation so regularly wrought by Bokkorost itself! ...And yet there was no mistaking it. Everywhere they went, they saw more of these tiny creatures, creatures who, despite their size, had built communities, towns, castles. Creatures as alive, as sentient as she or Kotsuno, filled every corner of the world. And between the fearsome storms... the crashing waves... and the fire that had ripped through the sky...

(Malinra returns to Kotsuno, who has not moved an inch from where he found the child, and shakes her head sorrowfully)

Telistria: ...not one of them lived.

(A fearsome wave comes crashing through the ruins once more, and not only are the bodies swept away, but the earth itself begins to crumble and shatter, and as the dragons fly into the sky, they see that everywhere, the land of this world, including the mountain where Bokkorost fell, is crumbling into the sea. The two dragons hang their heads in shame as the sheer extent of what they have done truly settles in. Then, all of a sudden, the two dragons' eyes narrow.)

Telistria: They knew that it couldn't end like this. Without so much as a single word to each other, they both knew what they had to do.

(Kotsuno and Malinra fly higher into the air, then suddenly Kotsuno glows as bright as the sun while Malinra swirls with a dark aura, and, in twin flashes of energy, they pierce the ground and tunnel deep below)

Telistria: Their journey had been long, their homeworld eons away. Returning was impossible, as they had known full well would be the case. They had set out upon this journey together, knowing there would be nothing else left for them at its end. And so they decided, then and there... to devote the rest of their lives to righting their one great wrong.

(Deep in the earth's core, Kotsuno and Malinra stop, curl into tight balls, swirling with energy, and release it all at once. When the chaotic explosion clears, the earth surrounding them is gone, replaced by what appears to be an endless sky. They then cause a vast floating continent to materialize seemingly from thin air.)

Telistria: The surface now nothing but an endless sea, they dove deep into the earth, and with all of their might they poured their draconic energy into the core of the world, transforming it into a beautiful expanse of aether, filled to bursting with draconic power.

(The view returns to the roaring sea of the surface, where the dragons burst from the waves and part the waters with gestures of their claws. They spot fallen humans and scoop them up in their arms and take them into the earth, onto the new floating continent, and lay them down on a grassy plain in the center of the continent. They then breathe gently onto them, gentle swirls of their energy seeping into their bodies, and the fallen humans stir.)

Telistria: They found whatever humans they could, and though they could not give them back their lives, they each breathed into them new lives, with new souls. And thus the first people of light and dark came into the world.

(A brief montage as the number of revived humans grows, until the plain is full of humans, split into two groups. The dragons then rise and, summoning more energy, build further onto the lands to the east and west. First, it shows Kotsuno creating what is unmistakably Hoshido.)

Telistria: Kotsuno and Malinra then each set about building these revived humans a new home within this new land, which they called Valla. Kotsuo, with his power, created a lush paradise of safety and plenty, full of rich harvests, calm wildlife, warm weather, and bright, vibrant colors. For he knew that would make his people peaceful and kind.

(It then shows Malinra, casting darkness upon her half, and building a place that looks like a more lively and healthy Nohr)

Telistria: Malinra, with her power, created a twilit realm of darkness and mystique, with a barrier overhead to block out the light above, and filled it with deep forests of understated beauty, magnificent, eerily glowing plants, mighty beasts, and dark tunnels full of unknown mysteries for her people to explore. For she knew that would make her people clever and brave.

(The scene fades. Years pass. The humans have rebuilt two thriving countries with grand cities and castles, and the dragons watch from overhead.)

Telistria: And so for many years the two dragons watched their people flourish and grow on this floating continent that they now called home. But the great dragons knew, in their hearts, that it was not enough. The people had once covered the world above, and their new home, as wonderful as it was, was but an island. Worse still, they realized that their centuries-long battle had taken its toll on them, and they would not be of this world to protect their people for long.

(The scene now shows the dragons showing a group of powerful and regal humans a dragon vein at the edge of the floating continent, and demonstrating its power by causing the ground at its limits to expand and rise, creating an entirely new grassy plain)

Telistria: So they each went to their people, and they took the virtuous and the wise, the brilliant and the courageous, the paragons of human virtue, and they imbued them with their draconic blood. And they then taught these champions how to use the great draconic power flowing through Valla. How to shape and build this world themselves, when at last they were gone. ...And when that time came for the two great dragons to die, their bodies glowed beautifully, and as their beloved people watched their passing with great sorrow, and felt the dragons dissolve into great swirls of magic and light, they knew they would build great castles in their honor, at the sites of their final resting places. But the dragons themselves... they did not grieve. They died content, knowing that their people would survive... Knowing Bokkorost was no more, and that never again would anyone know its monstrous terror.

(Telistria closes her hands around the crystal, and the vision disappears, the room returning to normal. Samor turns to his mother as he pulls the covers up and lies back in bed.)

Telistria: Well? How was it?

Samor: You're really good at telling stories, Mom!

Telistria: That's sweet, dear. Now remember! No staying up late! You wouldn't want me to decide you're not ready for big kid stories, would you?

Samor: Nope! But Mom, one last thing...

Telistria: Yes?

Samor: If Kotsuno made the people of light... and if Malinra made the people of darkness... then who made-

(Telistria kisses Samor on the forehead)

Telistria: Shhhh. That's a story for another night, dear.

(Telistria steps out of the room and waves a hand across the glowing crystal on a desk that lights the room)

Telistria: Good night, Sammy.

Samor: Good night, Mom!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Dear War Journal,

So... yeah.

This is a thing now.

Ever since that incident at Izumo, I've been having these bizarre, highly vivid dreams. Thankfully that first one with Izana was the only one I actually blacked out for; the rest of them have come quite politely in my sleep.

While I actually have no concrete, physical proof at the moment that any of these visions are actually real...

War Journal. Let's be real here. I was impaled through the heart by a piece of shrapnel from a magical artifact known as the ā€œorb of knowingā€. Does that sound like something that would have no consequences?

I may have been stuck in a tower for a dozen years, but even I know full well that when shit like that goes down, you get powers or you die.

Anyway, the type and subject of the dreams has varied immensely. One night I have to watch my Nohrian siblings talk about me like I'm some sort of demon, another night I'm seeing visions of my Hoshidan childhood, and the next night I'm watching a bunch of children play around in a village square in some country called ā€œYlisseā€.

But what's most interesting about these visions is that they seem to be wholly unbound by time and space. Now, yes, that's obviously a given if you think about it for any length of time: how could I be having visions of the present while inside a castle where time doesn't move? But no, I mean even further than that... those kids in the village square? Those were definitely Laslow, Odin and Selena, back when they still used their real names. That's gotta be... at least 10 years in the past, minimum, and at the very least on a completely different continent. The visions of my early years in Hoshido go back even further than that. And if I'm not entirely mistaken...

I'm not quite sure who those people in that latest vision were, but judging by what they were discussing, they appear to be among the ancient residents of The World That Must Not Be Named. This suggests that these visions of mine can extend further into the past than I can even imagine. But what is especially curious about this latest vision is the fact that, somehow, I understood their language. Now if only these visions could show me something relevant or useful, that would be fantastic, but as it stands...

...Wait...

Didn't that boy... didn't that boy mention somebody by the name... of Koto?

...Yes! Yes, he did!

I'm... I'm quite sure I've heard that name before. No, I'm certain of it! I know I heard it in one of the other timelines... I won't be able to confirm exactly where until I can re-read my old iterations of you, War Journal, but...

...Well, at any rate, there are more important things to deal with. Specifically to run everything we learned at Izumo past Rinkah and try to piece together what Garon and Mikoto's new plan is.

First though, the obligatory New Lilith progress update:

9uQe771.jpg

I built the hot spring in the hopes of offering some much-needed stress relief for my soldiers. It has... not had the desired result, what with it having only one gender-integrated bath and everybody being insufferable prudes.

GCP7AWw.jpg

Also New Lilith has deemed Hana worthy of a statue erected in her... ā€œhonorā€?

fIprpD5.jpgJxiI70E.jpg

Oh, also, I added some general decorations with the Hoshidan square and Nohrian round on their respective sides of the castle.

cdFYF4Y.jpg1Q9rcGM.jpg

Oh and incidentally, just out of curiosity, I took another look at the dragon statues... yep. These definitely match up with what I saw of Kotsuno and Malinra in that vision.

But moving on...

So, the previous battle confirmed that the EGC is taking the souls of the mystic tribe leaders and ripping them straight out of their owners' bodies, and that it's for the ritual. I can only assume this is to substitute for some part of the ritual that my intervention has fucked up. Yukimura's assurance to Anankos that they don't need all of them, however, suggests that the battle isn't over yet, and we need to stop them from getting as many as we can.

meuAhTB.jpg

Time to talk to Rinkah.

So, so far the discussion has borne some useful information. One fortunate detail she mentioned in passing is that the souls of the chieftains are special, unlike normal souls, and are reincarnated into a new host within the tribe upon the previous chief's death, flying around like Wind Tribe souls until a suitable new baby is born. This explains why they need to rip the souls out directly rather than pulling them into the soul trap they set up for everyone who dies. This thankfully also means that Izana's sacrifice was not in vain.

Dakota: I suppose the question this brings to mind is... who is their next likely target, and who do we have the best chance of saving?

Rinkah: ...Well, in that case, you should know there are eight mystic tribes. Well... okay, technically there are ten, but the earth tribe is extinct, and the water tribe lost so many members that it doesn't have a chieftain anymore.

Dakota: I see. What are the other eight?

Rinkah: The Wind Tribe, the Fire Tribe, the Aether tribe, those we've already discussed... I'm assuming you know about the Ice Tribe, what with it being one of the few in Nohr...

Dakota: Yes, go on...

Rinkah: Then there's the sun and moon tribes, who are... well...

Dakota: Yes?

Rinkah: They're just a bunch of weirdos, okay? Total weirdos. Loopy, hippie, ā€œI reject the concept of Tuesdaysā€ fruitcakes. They're screwed. Even if we could get to them in time, trying to convince them to hide or fight would be like trying to convince a garden slug to sing ā€œDip Me In Buttercream and Roll Me Down the Mountainā€. We can't save them. We should assume their leaders are already gone.

Dakota: ...I'll take your word for it. And the last two?

Rinkah: Those would be the beast tribes.

(Open music in new tab)

Rinkah: Have you heard of them?

Rinkah: ...The ones that use beaststones?

Rinkah: There's two of them, one in Hoshido that turns into foxes...

Rinkah: ...and one in Nohr that turns into wolves?

Rinkah: ...Dakota?

Rinkah: ...Hello?

(There's an explosion of wood and plaster as Dakota crashes through the back wall of her treehouse in full dragon form, slamming into the ground hard enough to crack the cobblestone road below, before bellowing out a mighty draconic roar as she shifts into a half dragon form, her draconic head causing her words to echo throughout the castle)

Dakota: GATHER THE TROOPS! BREAK OUT THE WEAPONS! READY THE MOUNTS! THOSE WALKING AFFRONTS TO HUMAN DECENCY HAVE DECLARED WAR UPON THE MAJESTIC WEREBEASTS, AND I WILL SWIM THROUGH SEVEN OCEANS OF THE SAUTEE'D ORGANS OF MY ENEMIES BEFORE I LET A SINGLE DROP OF PUPPY BLOOD STAIN A BLADE OF XELBIAN GRASS EVER AGAIN!

ZGTpfjE.jpg

TO THE KITSUNE HAMLET, FULL SPEED AHEAD! AND THEN... TO NOHR! KEATON NEEDS US!

HANG ON, CUDDLEPUPPY! I'M COMING!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

(Stop music)

Ā 

Ā 

(A few miles from Kitsune territory. Saizo, Orochi and Reina are in the woods, sitting in a circle, drinking tea and discussing plans)

(Open music in new tab)

Orochi: It looks like we made it with time to spare. Thank the gods.

Saizo: You're sure this is where Black Blossom Moon intends to strike next?

Orochi: Positive. Yukimura's intel is indisputable. The Kitsune are without a doubt BBM's next target, though the gods know what for.

Saizo: ...I see. Alright then, let's make this quick. I'm in a hurry to join Lord Ryoma. Rushing off for the front lines without his sending stone ring... milord, what were you thinking!?

Reina: I am certain he is fine, Saizo. He is a born warrior, and can surely survive a few more days of your absence.

Saizo: ...Of course. Lead the way.

Orochi: No, Saizo. We need you to stay here, and keep a lookout.

(Saizo takes a long, deep sip from his tea mug)

Saizo: Why? So you can kill the Kitsune and blame it on Dakota again?

(There is a deep, extremely awkward silence)

Orochi: ...Forgive me, Saizo, I'm certain I simply had something in my ear, but for a moment-

Saizo: You can cut the act, Orochi. Little tip, next time you try to frame somebody for blowing up a fort full of civilians and wounded soldiers? Don't do it around me.

Orochi: Saizo, whatever you're going on about, I can assure you-

Saizo: You forget, Orochi. I happen to know a thing or two about explosives. So, naturally, shortly after you spoke with Ryoma and he went rushing out for the front lines, I went back to the ruins of Fort Jinya to look for clues. And you know what? I found them.

Orochi: ā€¦

Reina: ...

Saizo: Pop quiz, you two: what happens to the pieces of something when it's caught in an explosion? I mean whatever doesn't get reduced to ash immediately. What direction does the rubble travel in?

Saizo: That's right! (Eyes narrowing) Away from the center of the blast. And, funniest thing, you two... I happened to find the charred remains of Yukimura's mechanical lion... all over. In every direction. Almost as if... the explosion... had come from inside of it.

Saizo: But, now, hang on... Orochi, I don't remember you or Yukimura ever saying anything to Ryoma about Dakota stealing Yukimura's mount to put the bomb inside. Such a peculiar detail... such a bizarre way to transport a bomb... surely it would have warranted mention?

Orochi: Saizo, don't! You're falling right into that demon's trap! She clearly did this specifically to sow doubt-

Saizo: Yeah, I thought of that. But then just to be sure, I went over to the wind tribe. They know a hell of a lot about souls, Orochi. I figured if anybody could tell me if Dakota was being possessed by something, it would be Fuga. But, you see, when I got there... something was very, very wrong. I snuck my way in... and I found the chief's brat locked up. And he told a very peculiar tale after I busted him out...

Orochi: Whatever Hayato told you-

(Reina stands up and grabs her bow)

Reina: Enough of the pretense, Orochi! He knows! He'll simply have to be another one of the many tragic casualties today!

(Reina holds her bow ready with an arrow nocked, but does not draw back the string)

Reina: I... I... What sorcery is this!? I can't move my arms!

Saizo: Oh, yeah. That'd be the powdered puppetweed I slipped into your tea.

Orochi: (Struggling to move herself) P-puppetweed!?

Saizo: Oh, so you've heard of it! Funny, it has a very distinct smell, very impractical to use in most circumstances. Honestly I'm shocked you didn't notice it when you drank. But yes, in a few moments you'll almost totally lose control of your body. And in a few more moments... you will have no choice but to do everything I say.

Orochi: Saizo! Y-you... you...!

Saizo: I'm afraid you cashed in your right to indignation ages ago, Orochi. You lied to my lord. You betrayed your country. And if Dakota turns out to be telling the truth, you sold out the continent. Now you're going to help me clean up your mess. Now, I'm sure that Ryoma ā€œforgettingā€ his sending stone ring was no accident. Clever thing, cutting him off from as much outside influence as possible. But while I can't exactly send Ryoma a forced confession from you two before your bodies build up an immunity to the drug... I'm sure you two have plenty of other numbers I can make you sing.

Orochi: ...KOTARO! WE'VE BEEN COMPROMISED!

(Mokushujin begin darting out from behind dozens of trees and bushes, quickly filling the area)

Kotaro: You called, Orochi?

Orochi: He's drugged us! Get us out of here, now!

Kotaro: With pleasure.

Saizo: ...YOU!

Kotaro: ...Me? Do I...? ...Ah! I thought you looked familiar. Yes, I can see the family resemblance now. Well, not that it much matters. You'll be joining your fool father in a few moments... and you can scream your ectoplasmic heads off together.

Saizo: ...Damn it... Damn you...

Orochi: So sorry, Saizo. I'm afraid this is what the Nohrians call ā€œcheckmateā€.

(Stop music)

Dakota: Oh really? Is it now? Looks like someone needs a refresher on what the queen can do!

EAe1TFp.jpg

Dakota: Why hello, everyone! I do ever so hope we're not late to the puppy poaching party! Because if we are...

(Dakota transforms her right fist into a dragon lance and raises it to the sky)

Dakota: I will personally take each and every last one of you, impale you through the ass with my draconic fist, feed your genitals to the wyverns, and roast you over an open fire! AND I DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE WHAT ORDER I DO IT IN!

EHPnSoJ.jpg

Dakota: This is a rescue mission, people! Our priority is getting Saizo to safety! Take out these four enemies, carve out a perimeter here, get Saizo, and then... get ready to rout the lot of them! Don't let a single bit of poacher filth leave this forest alive!

slqYEHC.jpg

No time to be going halfway. I'll be breaking out the friendship babies to support our main fighters. We'll need a lot of player-phase actions on our side in order to deal with these ninja.

I have no idea what the enemy's strategy will be, but if they decide to advance on our position from all sides, we're in for one hell of a fight. AND I INTEND TO DELIVER.

BEGIN.

VrMQ5Lg.jpg

...Funny. As I'm readying to get on Galen's wyvern, the Mokushujin's signature spike traps spring up. Looks like they managed to set some up pretty quickly in advance. The dragon veins for these seem to work a bit differently. Curious. But not very important right this moment.

QRqjVyc.jpgJOE6q3i.jpgQuLU8Jz.jpg4sFMJeK.jpgUXyz1x1.jpguCmsXio.jpg

Got to focus on our opening gambit. Hana, thanks to a dual katana and Duelist's Blow, is quite good at taking out the ninjas without suffering their dreaded debuffs, as long as she can get to them first. I then have Mozu, who's too far away to do anything just yet, swap Hana's weapon for her so she's not using a dual katana against the incoming oni savage. The axe splitter's reduced avoid is annoying, but Sakura should be able to patch her up if she takes damage.

ads6Xfy.jpg

Step 15 on my path to greatness.

jTTKVfR.jpg

There! That should do it. Now to brace for enemy impact.

mxAXBHr.jpg

...Aaaand aside from that oni savage? There is no enemy impact.

It's almost like I keep forgetting that every single commander but me has the mental faculties of a pigeon.

2dnkKuI.jpg

Saizo decided to send Reina out on her own, which seems like a good way to get her killed. Not that in this context that's necessarily a bad thing. Other than that, no action on his end. He and Orochi stayed put.

aO3IEpP.jpg

The great thing about these spike traps is that they give Sakura an excellent opportunity to catch up on her healing training.

RoQMZZK.jpg

Right, let's have a little chat with Saizo.

5Xc28gE.jpg

Saizo: I'm fine. ...Thanks. So... you came to save the kitsune? Figures that's how they knew you'd come here.

Dakota: Then you believe me?

Saizo: For the time being. But I'm going to need answers, Dakota.

Dakota: And you'll get them. As many as I can give. But for now-

Saizo: Of course. You can count on my aid. As well as the aid of these two, for however long the puppetweed lasts.

LSr42YZ.jpg

I'll have Hana use her dual guard to bait one of these ninja so we can start clearing out this side...

4IDvZgs.jpg

...And then bring Orochi and Reina over so we can tie them up. I don't want to risk them getting away, they've caused us more than enough trouble.

GlTh1CC.jpg

Sakura makes steady progress on her healing while Hana baits out the western enemies...

jLdWazP.jpg

...and Mozu prepares to take out this master ninja so we can get to work on the east.

tUCN3Vk.jpg

This being Mozu, she of course succeeds with flying colors.

E5dh4Lf.jpgeRSNVvu.jpg

Jakob levels up from healing and is one level away from finally having Inspiration. Though frankly the way things are going I might not even-

No. Never say that. Things can always go wrong.

HkJQoNV.jpgJk2mA5M.jpgylC7swc.jpg

Anyway, after a bit of cleanup and some spectacular levels all around...

cjMhL8H.jpg

...It's time to make our way towards Kotaro and eliminate the poaching menace once and for all.

pMWJ6MC.jpg

Of course while the dual guard meant Anna didn't take any damage, in the end neither did the master ninja thanks to the shrine maiden and his own high resistance. And yet even once provoked, they did not pursue us when we got out of immediate range. Curious. Stupid, but curious.

3pYrfMj.jpg

Anyway, the chest contained a master seal. Handy, having a flier and a lockpicker all in one unit.

z8kbcUy.jpg

I have Galen go up front to avoid getting the debuffs myself. This way I have a better shot of using the second dual katana to defeat him unscathed.

VcQKgml.jpgnz6I6QD.jpgP4Akp9c.jpglTIuWZ2.jpg

After wrapping up those master ninja and letting my healers gain another level, a broken bloom festal, and a tasty new skill each...

GiUabJd.jpg

...as well as step 16 on my path to greatness...

...we've dealt with everyone but Kotaro. Right, time to get Orochi and Reina out of our hair before they-

(Dakota turns around to where Reina and Orochi were kept, only to see an empty pile of ropes on the ground)

FUCK! SERIOUSLY!? THEY CAME BACK TO THEIR SENSES LITERALLY THE SECOND IT WAS SAFE TO KILL THEM!?

WHAT THE FUCK!?

(Dakota lets out an extremely angry and frustrated groan)

...Well. I guess that just leaves Kotaro.

pnrZKcs.jpg

Kotaro: ...Oh. Um...

Dakota: Yeah.

Kotaro: ...Well.

Dakota: Yeah.

Kotaro: I, uh... this...

Dakota: Yeah. YEAH.

(Kotaro pauses)

Kotaro: GOTTA GO!

(Kotaro throws what appears to be a smoke bomb into the grass, but instead of creating smoke, instantly upon impact it creates a massive wall of fire between Dakota and Kotaro as Kotaro runs away. Dakota, however, fires a dragon shot at an angle into the air and then leaps through the wall of fire, coming out the other side wreathed in flames, and unleashes a leaping flaming slash attack at the back of the fleeing Kotaro, cutting him cleanly in half at the waist as he screams. Dakota then slides to a halt on the grass, holds her position for a second, and is then doused by the water of her own dragon shot as she turns to see Azura and Anna working to put out the fire between water powers and magic. Dakota assists with some more dragon shots of her own and soon the fire is put out before it can spread.)

Dakota: Alright, Saizo. I'll give you the answers you asked for, but first we have to talk to the kitsune.

Saizo: Agreed.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

...WELL.

That was a rather embarrassing memory lapse.

So I went to the Kitsune hamlet to warn them about poachers, but upon asking about Kaden's whereabouts, I was informed that he wasn't there.

Because of course he wasn't.

He's been wandering the continent on an endless chain of favor repaying for the last six months. How could I have forgotten that crucial detail!?

Well, regardless, at least the Kitsune have been warned. I don't see any further motive to attack them when Kaden isn't there, but considering the track record of werebeast casualties in the previous timelines... it never hurts to advise caution.

And on the bright side...

I know where Kaden will be next.

I know where Kaden and Keaton will be next.

And it's where we will be next.

Time to head back to New Lilith, fill Saizo in, and then set sail for Cyrkensia.

I have a husband to save.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Alastor15243

On 9/19/2017 at 10:34 AM, Hylian Air Force said:

He never took screenshots for that. He just wrote it.

Although I was planning on using screenshots for the rest of that, but that plan's pretty much shot now.

Also, just letting everyone know, this latest entry is the last one I'll be posting until I have all the screenshots. It's become apparent that in order to do the story justice there's too much I'll have to write in each entry, so I'll save it all for later and make absolutely sure I get the whole game complete.

So, we've finally got more entries! YAAAAAAAAAY! *insert jumping around like a lunatic*

AHEM! Anyway, the new entries are brilliant. Simply brilliant. It was a good idea to add to the sense of urgency by includingĀ a new element to the conspiracy without any implications of what it may be (though I suspect the bond unit Arete kidnapped has something to do with it), and then having Izana subvert the whole thing and simultaneously reveal that he knows (er, knew) about Valla was a brilliant touch. Plus it allows these dream-vision things thanks to how you did it, which is sure to also help. I liked that whole event almost as much as how you revealed Jakob's warping, even; and that was previously my favourite event of the whole saga so far.

EDIT: Re-read Entry 6's Sakura segment, and I think I can spot some foreshadowing that Sakura's gonna need to be tactician at some point due to Dakota being incapacitated. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Sodium Hydroxide

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

So I was rereading through the first couple books to refresh my memory on what happened, and it turns out...

https://imgur.com/a/eGkbB

Yeah it looks like a lot of your images broke from page 2 onwards.

Ā 

Are you sure the page didnā€™t fail to load? Iā€™ve seen that before. Iā€™ll check it out later, but then again iā€™ll have to re-format everything eventually because of whoever decided toĀ retroactively change the line spacing, only keep half of old posts the same, and then for good measure break all labeled spoilers.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Are you sure the page didnā€™t fail to load? Iā€™ve seen that before. Iā€™ll check it out later, but then again iā€™ll have to re-format everything eventually because of whoever decided toĀ retroactively change the line spacing, only keep half of old posts the same, and then for good measure break all labeled spoilers.

Yeah, I've tried loading it on my phone and other computers, and each time theĀ images just show up as the file name. Sorry man, SF is just determined to break your thread.

Edited by Ren_Ambrose