Dakota's War Journal (Semiblind Fire Emblem Fates RP/LP) (Send me your castles!)

Alastor15243

LP direction  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do about covering the Paralogues?

• Cover all of them
    • Only cover the ones relevant to Dakota or that you feel you can do something interesting with
    • Don't cover any of them
  2. 2. What should I be able to edit about my character in Conquest/Revealtion?

• Boon/Bane, but not Talent
    • Talent, but not Boon/Bane
    • Both
    • Neither
    • Do what you like
  3. 3. Should I use the path bonus items?

• Yes
    • No

Aaaaaand DONE! YES!

I cut it a bit close there, but yes, I have all of the screenshots necessary to complete Dakota's War Journal both on my computer and on imgur. Dakota's War Journal will difinitively survive the death of miiverse, everyone! WHOO!

As for the final battle...

Well my team became kinda ridiculous at the end due to my thorough rally training and the amount of money the game gave me letting me bring every one of my frontliners to level 25, but I have the feeling that even if I had a more reasonable team, the final battle would've been really disappointing. Both chapters 27 and endgame were pretty underwhelming. But it's not like I had been getting my hopes up after everything else I experienced with Revelation.

Shame the "true" ending of Fates is so lame both in gameplay and story. But what can you do? Looks like I have a lot of stuff to work with, and while I'm going to be taking a break since getting all of this done has taken so much of my free time, I'll get back to writing entries soon, so stay tuned!

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Aaaaaand DONE! YES!

I cut it a bit close there, but yes, I have all of the screenshots necessary to complete Dakota's War Journal both on my computer and on imgur. Dakota's War Journal will difinitively survive the death of miiverse, everyone! WHOO!

As for the final battle...

Well my team became kinda ridiculous at the end due to my thorough rally training and the amount of money the game gave me letting me bring every one of my frontliners to level 25, but I have the feeling that even if I had a more reasonable team, the final battle would've been really disappointing. Both chapters 27 and endgame were pretty underwhelming. But it's not like I had been getting my hopes up after everything else I experienced with Revelation.

Shame the "true" ending of Fates is so lame both in gameplay and story. But what can you do? Looks like I have a lot of stuff to work with, and while I'm going to be taking a break since getting all of this done has taken so much of my free time, I'll get back to writing entries soon, so stay tuned!

IT LIIIIIIIIIIIIVES! Honestly though, take a break if you need one. You've earned it, and your home button deserves a break.

54 minutes ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

IT LIIIIIIIIIIIIVES! Honestly though, take a break if you need one. You've earned it, and your home button deserves a break.

Ha! Well, my current plan is to read through the entire backlog of Dakota's War Journal to refresh my memory and see if there are any lingering plot threads I may have forgotten about over the extremely long run of this story. See what I can and should tie up, though there's some stuff in Birthright that may have to just be ignored for the sake of the rest of the story being coherent.

Also, I'm planning on doing a 2-generation run of Conquest where I use nothing but the avatar and the child units from chapter 17 onward.

44 minutes ago, DestructionDragon360 said:

Just finished reading the entirety of Dakota's War Journal. I'm frankly amazed and in awe that you put together such a compelling and dynamic narrative from a plot that everyone can agree sucks worse than Rinkah's growths.

You're an inspiration!

Thank you! Hope you'll enjoy the rest of it!

• 1 month later...

God's above I've just caught up, and it's been one hell of a wild ride. From the comedy strong season 1 to the almost destructively depressing season 2 (That last quote with Fuchsia brought a smile to my face either way) and now the climatic season 3. I'll be honest and say I cannot wait to see more. I've not had this much fun reading a let's play... well, it's barely a let's play, it's more fanfiction... in the same way Sword Art Online Abridged is fanfiction of Sword Art Online. You've improved basically every single aspect of the story in every conceivable way. Kudos my friend and keep up the amazing work.

P.S. Take as much time as you need, story writing is a very mentally draining task and can burn you out very easily.

On 12/16/2017 at 4:56 PM, Sammy Raeh said:

God's above I've just caught up, and it's been one hell of a wild ride. From the comedy strong season 1 to the almost destructively depressing season 2 (That last quote with Fuchsia brought a smile to my face either way) and now the climatic season 3. I'll be honest and say I cannot wait to see more. I've not had this much fun reading a let's play... well, it's barely a let's play, it's more fanfiction... in the same way Sword Art Online Abridged is fanfiction of Sword Art Online. You've improved basically every single aspect of the story in every conceivable way. Kudos my friend and keep up the amazing work.

P.S. Take as much time as you need, story writing is a very mentally draining task and can burn you out very easily.

Thank you! I’ll be starting up writing again soon, just taking a holiday break and catching myself up on the series as well to make sure I didn’t forget anything over the series’ long production process.Tying up any loose ends left, ESPECIALLY with Azura, is going to be a very delicate operation.

Edited by Alastor15243

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 2:00 PM, KnightOfNohr said:

You know, Ren, I find your Fates castle card to be especially humorous when compared to the profound, inspiring quote above.

Yeah, it's kind of a tonal shift, isn't it? I never know what to do with my signatures in forums so I just tend to do whatever sticks.

• 4 months later...
On 11/16/2018 at 10:19 AM, Ren_Ambrose said:

Desperately uses Bifröst on the thread in an attempt to revive it

I’m sorry guys. I really should have said something sooner, but I didn’t want to say anything official in case I changed my mind, but looking at how long it’s been since my last update, I feel I owe you an answer:

I don’t think I’m gonna be able to finish this, for two main reasons:

First and foremost, because the story’s devolved into a clusterfuck of retcons and conspiracies to the point where I don’t think I can satisfyingly resolve everything anymore and not grossly violate canon at multiple points and insult your intelligence. I spent months struggling to think of a good way to tie in and explain the stuff I had planned for the backstories of major characters and I feel I’ve well and truly written myself into a corner with several of them thanks to the improvisational nature of books 1 and 2.

Secondly, because Revelation kind of broke me. After birthright and especially conquest allowed me to really flex Dakota’s strategic narrative, the utterly idiotic and tedious level design of Revelation means that every single time I have fun writing Dakota’s insane struggle against an incredibly dangerous and brilliant adversary, it shifts to gameplay and suddenly I can barely justify writing this nonsense in character. It’s like all the dramatic tension I try to build up is undermined and just bleeds away in a way that is obscenely disappointing after Conquest. If I were to continue book 3, pretty much all of the “let’s play” part of it would have to be deemed non-canon, because it’s a joke no matter how many times I add house rules to make it more satisfying. I just wasn’t counting on the third act of the story coinciding with the single worst Fire Emblem game ever made.

I’m really sorry I left you hanging with this, guys. I should have said something way, WAY sooner.

Edited by Alastor15243

If it makes you feel better? I was willing to accept any retcons you made to the canon of this dumb stupid lame story. As for the gameplay... yeah, I'm sorry, but Revelation fails to deliver on every conceivable level. You aren't at all out of line saying it's the worst fire emblem game ever. It really is just that bad. At least... the final boss is tough...? It's really not much consolation considering Conquest's final boss was so much more satisfying.

1 hour ago, DestructionDragon360 said:

If it makes you feel better? I was willing to accept any retcons you made to the canon of this dumb stupid lame story.

Well I meant more retcons to what I already established. It’s really hard to write a vast plot-twisty conspiracy and retroactively weave it into a story that hadn’t been preparing for it and have everything still make sense.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well I meant more retcons to what I already established. It’s really hard to write a vast plot-twisty conspiracy and retroactively weave it into a story that hadn’t been preparing for it and have everything still make sense.

Ah, my apologies. I suppose there are quite a few... dangling threads as far as Revelation considers. Oh well. I understand having to abandon the story but I'll just say I'm going to miss it. I've read the War Journal in its entirety about three times now because it's so compelling! As a writer myself, I can understand the struggle, but I'm still sad to see it go.

Just now, DestructionDragon360 said:

Ah, my apologies. I suppose there are quite a few... dangling threads as far as Revelation considers. Oh well. I understand having to abandon the story but I'll just say I'm going to miss it. I've read the War Journal in its entirety about three times now because it's so compelling! As a writer myself, I can understand the struggle, but I'm still sad to see it go.

I may come back to it eventually if something strikes me to make everything make sense, but until further notice, yeah, I don’t think I can continue. But it’s really been heartening and encouraging to hear how much people have gotten out of it, which makes it even more frustrating for me that I can’t think of a good way to complete it.

16 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I may come back to it eventually if something strikes me to make everything make sense, but until further notice, yeah, I don’t think I can continue. But it’s really been heartening and encouraging to hear how much people have gotten out of it, which makes it even more frustrating for me that I can’t think of a good way to complete it.

Honestly, with how much of a trainwreck the story of Fates is, I'm surprised you've made this enjoyable of a story out of it. I'm sure something will come to you, given time. If it helps at all, homebrew is making a lot of headway, so saving screenshots might be a possibility in the near future.

Okay so, I have some good news. If you have a n3DS, there's actually a way to stream your screens to your computer. It's a tad complicated to set up, but it allows for screenshots to be made again. I'll go ahead and DM you the guides I followed to get it working so you have that as an option.

image.png.215a101a0e4e59d1b24df230b5480e47.png

9 minutes ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

Okay so, I have some good news. If you have a n3DS, there's actually a way to stream your screens to your computer. It's a tad complicated to set up, but it allows for screenshots to be made again. I'll go ahead and DM you the guides I followed to get it working so you have that as an option.

image.png.215a101a0e4e59d1b24df230b5480e47.png

Thanks for letting me know! This will be useful if I find a way to make Revelation engaging on another playthrough I can use instead. I do have a complete set of screenshots of my initial blind playthrough though.

11 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Thanks for letting me know! This will be useful if I find a way to make Revelation engaging on another playthrough I can use instead. I do have a complete set of screenshots of my initial blind playthrough though.

Good luck, my dude.

• 2 months later...

More progress on the homebrew front, apparently the NTR CFW that you use to stream your screens allows you to pull up a menu at any time and take a screenshot by pressing X and Y, even on older 3DS models. I haven't tested it yet but I would assume that the quality would be the same as saving them to Miiverse was.

• 4 years later...
On 8/18/2016 at 4:45 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Bölverk... if my Elder Nohrian is correct, that means Wretched Work.

I was rereading to see what corners you had written yourself into and this particular line caught my eye. So I ran to good old Google translate on a whim and got quite the sensible chuckle out of me

image.png.1a42083d8271d3305c97cc06195969d3.png

...Dammit I'm invested again. 

Edited by Ren_Ambrose