Fire Emblem 1 updated translation patch

Mega Koopa

So, I've worked on a Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light translation patch using the old translation patch as a base. I know the first game is "inferior" to its remakes, but I still enjoy the retro feel of the game. For this patch I'm using the North American Shadow Dragon character and weapon names (e.i. Caeda, Jagen, Draug), I also changed the font to the font used in Earthbound Beginnings.

Here's the current patch
Beta 4  :Neimii:

VvogYr8.pngT9CD4CG.png

ZqasHNW.pngOZdcSz2.png

Edited by Mega Koopa X

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to add the pieces of the story script that were taken out because of space issues?

Damnit, I just finished FE1 today. You can't make me play it again. D:

I'm not too sure how to do that but I'll try.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going to add the pieces of the story script that were taken out because of space issues?

This is news to me! I shouldn't be surprised, I know that translating a text-heavy NES game is like trying to put corset on a hippopotamus. What kind of stuff was cut?

Good luck with the patch! The font's gonna take a bit of getting used to, but I think it's aesthetically more pleasing. The NES FE games are like old gems, any polish you can give them really helps.

Good to see someone has taken it up. I was planning on doing so myself, but it probably never would have happened. Besides, time to finish FE3 already.

No dialogue was taken out, just shortened to fit. Not being a native English speaker and not having very much experience in English at the time either (I was like 16) this was done very poorly at times so the dialogue definitely needs an overhaul. Good luck with your efforts :)

Also, my heart cries because of 'Caeda'.

Thank you, right now I have a small update I think I have fully finished editing the first two chapters. I am currently editing some of the weapon names and enemy names like "Macedonia" to "Macedon" and "Grunia" to "Grust", I will post screenshots soon.

This is a nice thing to work with, I guess. I'm still trying to download the original because it's going to be hell in Japanese (I can't speak or read Japanese). Nice going with the Mother 1 font style. It works... somehow. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Tullus(daScrub)

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm playtesting the game. I've played through the first 9 chapters so far, I'm fixing small errors in some of the dialogue.

Hey there, how are you doing with it? have you already ended all the script and you are just proofreading it? good luck, by the way, i am really looking forward to an updated patch of the first game :)

Hey there, how are you doing with it? have you already ended all the script and you are just proofreading it? good luck, by the way, i am really looking forward to an updated patch of the first game :)

I'm editing the text as I play just in case there's any important text that I missed, I already have all the playable units and some of the important items changed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering if anyone would like to help me with this project, this is my first 'public' project and there's still some things that I need some assistance with, like untranslated lines of text that I have trouble locating and extending some parts to fix longer names. It would be highly appreciated.

I'm wondering if anyone would like to help me with this project, this is my first 'public' project and there's still some things that I need some assistance with, like untranslated lines of text that I have trouble locating and extending some parts to fix longer names. It would be highly appreciated.

I'd like to help, but it depends on what you need help with. When you say you have trouble locating untranslated lines of text, do you mean that you know there's untranslated lines of text that you have trouble locating in the game code or do you mean there may still be untranslated text you don't know exists?

I could be of help if it's issues with the completeness of the script or with translating, but I suck at anything technical.