Fire Emblem 1 updated translation patch

Mega Koopa

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads up, the wiki says there's allegedly elements in FE1 that were removed entirely from both 3 and 11, but nonetheless referenced in later games, like crossbows which appeared in FE10 and Merlinus is supposed to be a reference to the FE1 convoy system. I may play this patch and point out references that are present in other games but absent in FE3 and 11, but I don't have much time to myself as of late. I'll see what happens with my schedule.

Heads up, the wiki says there's allegedly elements in FE1 that were removed entirely from both 3 and 11, but nonetheless referenced in later games, like crossbows which appeared in FE10 and Merlinus is supposed to be a reference to the FE1 convoy system. I may play this patch and point out references that are present in other games but absent in FE3 and 11, but I don't have much time to myself as of late. I'll see what happens with my schedule.

FE1 ballista worked exactly like fe10 crossbows. They were not removed, just changed to the classic 3-10 range (Worm is also 1-2 range in fe1). I seem to remember reading that the reference to valaflame's dragon being called salamander in fe4 is a reference to a conversation in fe1 that got cut from fe3 and 11.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Chapter 1. I might actually play the game legit instead of just having ManaketeMarth destroy everything with 99 move to playtest. Anyways, that seems fine. It's almost surreal seeing "Caeda attacks" instead of "Sheeda attacks" now. Congratulations! (Secret playtester's tip: press select on the sound test to jump straight to the ending. Everything works fine: missed chapters just have a zero for turncount. LTCers, take note!)

Is there any chance you can make the text font a little thicker or have it made in bold font? Because I'm currently using the nesDS emulator and occasionally I can't read the text font. Here are how they show up in nesDS with comparisons of an older patch, yours, and Gaiden's for shits and giggles.

Keep up the good work, the patch is great thus far! It's just that font that really throws me off.

edit: I learned how to hyperlink

Edited by Cuizonix

Is there any chance you can make the text font a little thicker or have it made in bold font? Because I'm currently using the nesDS emulator and occasionally I can't read the text font. Here are how they show up in nesDS with comparisons of an older patch, yours, and Gaiden's for shits and giggles.

Keep up the good work, the patch is great thus far! It's just that font that really throws me off.

edit: I learned how to hyperlink

may i ask what DS emulator you're using and version? im using nesDS version 1.3b and everything is always garbled on fe 1 and 2...

may i ask what DS emulator you're using and version? im using nesDS version 1.3b and everything is always garbled on fe 1 and 2...

I'm playing it on a flash cart and in order to un-garble most of the text, you have to go in the menu then go to [Game] then [Display] and on the bottom right, choose [All puresoft]. While it does make the text visible, the actual sprites don't run as smooth as they do in [sprites Perframe] and [sprites Pertile].

Also, since you're using 1.3b you can save your configurations/shortcuts under [settings] then [save nesDS.ini] so you don't have to set it to [All puresoft] every time you play (like the older versions did). But if you ever start a game and the sound is on but the screen is still black, go back to [Display] under [Game] and switch back and forth from [sprites Perframe/Pertile] to [All puresoft] to fix it again. I don't really know why it does this but it'll sometimes happen.

Formatting report time!

http://imgur.com/a/yxZyK

Pic 1: misplaced comma, should be full stop.

Pic 2, 3: text overflows. Both in same house in Ch4.

Pic 4: No full stop at the end of the sentence.

Pic 5: I guess the Devil Axe village will always be awkwardly worded.

I'm at the start of Chapter 5. Haven't found any garbled text yet.

Edited by Darrman

Formatting report time!

http://imgur.com/a/yxZyk

Link is broken for me?

Formatting report time!

http://imgur.com/a/yxZyK

Thank you very much for reporting this, I'll fix these in the next beta.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fixed the text errors and I'm currently working on a separate patch that uses the old font so it looks better on other emulators. I just need help with something: In FE 1, Marth is able to use the Falchion to restore all of his health. Doing that using the translation patch will give you some garbled up text that's supposed to read "To restore all HP", I don't know where to find this in the rom.

I've fixed the text errors and I'm currently working on a separate patch that uses the old font so it looks better on other emulators. I just need help with something: In FE 1, Marth is able to use the Falchion to restore all of his health. Doing that using the translation patch will give you some garbled up text that's supposed to read "To restore all HP", I don't know where to find this in the rom.

It looks like that text starts at offset 0x2EF59.

Edited by Dingledoop

Also, as I said in the readme I still need help finding out how to fix the menu screen convoy thing, I don't know if anyone can help me fix this as I've spent a lot of time trying to find out what I've screwed up.

Edited by Megakoopax

Also, as I said in the readme I still need help finding out how to fix the menu screen convoy thing, I don't know if anyone can help me fix this as I've spent a lot of time trying to find out what I've screwed up.

It looks like you fucked up the pointer to the "storages" text. I'm not quite sure how the pointers work in this game (they don't seem to be anywhere near as intuitive as the ones in Gaiden), but what you have there now looks nothing like all the other ones before it. You can fix this by changing the value at 0x2D060 to 46, and the value at 0x2D061 to 92 (the same values as in the unpatched version). Doing this will cause the text to display properly without making the game hang.

On another note, the upper case i looks really thin and out of place in your bold font patch. Did you forget to change it from the original font?

It looks like you fucked up the pointer to the "storages" text. I'm not quite sure how the pointers work in this game (they don't seem to be anywhere near as intuitive as the ones in Gaiden), but what you have there now looks nothing like all the other ones before it. You can fix this by changing the value at 0x2D060 to 46, and the value at 0x2D061 to 92 (the same values as in the unpatched version). Doing this will cause the text to display properly without making the game hang.

On another note, the upper case i looks really thin and out of place in your bold font patch. Did you forget to change it from the original font?

Shit, I forgot to fix the "I". But thanks for the convoy/storage thing.

• 2 months later...

Hey, there, i don´t know if you are still working on this, but i want to report something, in the beginning of the Chapter 12, after some talk between Boah and Midia, the talk suddenly "stops" and doesn´t even let me continue on the game, it seems as if they were still talking, but in an infinite loop,

post-22187-0-63669300-1476314485_thumb.png

post-22187-0-27893300-1476314478_thumb.png

post-22187-0-68986500-1476314481_thumb.png

Could this be a problem caused by the patch?

Hey, there, i don´t know if you are still working on this, but i want to report something, in the beginning of the Chapter 12, after some talk between Boah and Midia, the talk suddenly "stops" and doesn´t even let me continue on the game, it seems as if they were still talking, but in an infinite loop,

attachicon.gifCaptura.PNG

attachicon.gif1.PNG

attachicon.gif2.PNG

Could this be a problem caused by the patch?

Wow, how did I not catch this. I probably forgot to end the conversations or something.

Thanks for reporting this.