Signature of the Week #2

Dwlr

We will be using the same thread to both post entries and vote, the title will change when appropriate and the first post will be updated with the appropriate information on a week by week basis. Each week the winner will decide on the next theme, they may do this however they choose, but a theme must be decided before the deadline. All entries and themes must be appropriate for Serenes Forest Forums.

Signature of the Week #2

Theme: Free

Entries are due Saturday the 5th of March by 12:00 a.m EST

Voting will open Sunday the 6th of February at 5:00 p.m. EST

Voting will end Friday the 11th of February at 12:00 a.m EST

Theme selection is due Saturday the 12th of February at 5:00 p.m. EST

[spoiler=Entry Rules]1) Maximum entry size: 600x600
2) Minimum entry size: 200x200
3) All entries must be submitted before the deadline so voting may start in a timely manner.
4) 1 entry per person, you may change your entry as many times as you'd like before the entry deadline.
5) Please do not use pre-made signatures.
6) If you used any pre-made stocks be sure to give the appropriate credits.
7) You may only submit your own work.
8) We are not doing anonymous entries, entries should be posted in the thread

[spoiler=Voting Rules]1) Only votes posted before the close of the voting deadline will be counted so that a winner may be chosen in a timely manner.
2) Please include a reason to why you voted for the entry you did, this is to help participants know what they're doing correctly so they can strive to continue their good work.
3) You may comment on any of the other entries, but only if it's constructive criticism, this is meant to be a fun competition no need to insult anybody's work.
4) You may choose 1 runner-up to receive partial points. (subject to change based on how many entries we get)
5) The signature you vote for will receive 3 points while the runner-up you have chosen will receive 1 point.
6) Please vote for the entry or entries you think are the best, not because the artist is your friend.

Entries:

Edited by Dwlr

It doesn't look as if Jedi will make his entry, he's informed me that real life responsibilities have gotten in the way. It's not as successful as I would have hoped given the responses I received via pm. Thank you to Noburu and Jedi and let us just hope week #2 finds us with more entries.

I would suggest a deadline extension next time. 14 days or even 20 days would be a lot more time for people to make entries for a contest like this. I might participate in the next one.

The only reason I don't want to put a bunch of extensions on it is that might set a precedent for the future that if entries are slow it'd simply get extended, we're already running a bi-weekly format when most sites can self contain the entire week, entries and voting in that single week running the entries from Monday - Friday about 8ish then voting the rest of Friday and Saturday, leaving Sunday for the next theme to be chosen, which if chosen early entries are usually accepted on Sunday as well. It's not a big deal to let this one run it's course and besides extending it 14 days as you suggested would have the same basic effect delaying running only the 1 over a span of 28 days versus running this one over the span of it's scheduled 14 days even if it didn't get many entries and starting a new one one letting it run it's span, if you consider this one a scratch then that's still only potential for the one successful in the same period.

- - - - - -

As for comments on Noburu's entry I'd say:

If you're going to do two versions of the same character maybe try leaving the foreground version alone so it stands out and focus on putting the edited one behind it. This creates a clear distinction between the character and gives the viewer one focal point which they can then travel to the rest of the image, from my experience it's usually done with an animation in the background and static version of that character in front and not a static image for both. This creates a sort of border around the animation which can let you generally preserve the animated frames as a stock image leaving it untouched while still having a customized and unique image. In terms of the actual signature the foreground retained much of it's integrity the version of her in the background got kind of lost in the effects IMO. The background version seems to be falling off the canvas a bit with her eyes, what one would generally consider the focal point of your render is right at the border of the canvas, her right eye is also completely covered by a foreground effect. Finally for me it's just a little over-saturated when an image starts getting harsh transitions that's generally an indicator that something is amiss. What I do personally to try to avoid it is I try to check the contrast and saturation of an image by turning it black and white it keeps the harsh transition between shades as a black an white image then I go searching for the layer that created it and do a soft erase, blur, lower the opacity, change blending modes, and/or do a smudge to alleviate make the transitions a little more gradiated. (Not really part of it, but gradiated should totally be a word so I'm using it. :P)

Edited by Dwlr

Well you see, the background CG Hinoka was meant purely as a backdrop and nothing more, hence why the effects are over it. The foreground portrait Hinoka was the actual focal. That aside, I'd have to agree with your comment on the saturation, if I'm understanding correctly. I'll give it another go, when I have the chance. (not as far as my submission, goes. Just for personal satisfaction)