[Team If] Fire Emblem Fates - Content Restoration (v1.3) (PLEASE READ OP)

luyairis

This didn't take very long. The localized game isn't even out yet. How did you even get a localized copy of the game to tell what's feasible?

Everything that's "planned" is more of a wishlist of what could be done under ideal circumstances. Based on experience with other games- including JP If- there's already a very good idea of what is and isn't technically possible, how much can be done will depend more on precisely what content is in the NA version.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, long time lurker here but I created an account just for this. Also I had never planned on installing homebrew or CFW of any sort on my 3DS but the lack of dual audio kind of crossed the line for me. I've done some googling but the whole process wasn't very clear to me.

Anyway I have a New 3DSXL at 10.5, and a NA Special Edition copy of the game, and what I'm interested in patching are the Japanese VA, and the Name Restoration. How do I actually go about doing all this? Do I need to install homebrew through Themehax/Browserhax/Menuhax? How do I patch the game ROM? Do I extract the ROM from the cartridge and patch it or patch directly onto the cartridge somehow?

Lastly thank you Team If for doing this, you guys are godsend seriously.

First, you'll need to wait a few weeks after release, since those patches will take a little time to make. Probably not too long, but they won't be available on release. To patch the game once everything's ready:

1. Install Homebrew on your 3ds using your preferred entrypoint. Here are all the files you need to get started, along with a list of entrypoints and instructions for each.

2. Dump your game using Braindump. Make sure you have plenty or room on your SD card (at least 2GB, to be safe).

3. Obtain xorpads for your game using various homebrew. I'm unsure what the team's officially endorsed method for this on 10.5 is, and would appreciate someone weighing in.

4. Insert the dumped game and xorpads into the patcher.

5. Put the resulting file in the /hans folder on your 3ds's SD card. Launch Homebrew, insert the game, and launch it using hans.

Thanks that was quick. Do any of these steps cause me to lose access to the eShop and DLCs? From what I've heard If I can have homebrew installed while still on the latest firmware, I'll still be able to access the eShop? Also do I need to buy any additional hardware (Cubic Ninja, Sky3DS and the like) for this? It seems like I don't but I'd like to make sure just in case. And thanks again.

EDIT: Does Spotpass/Streetpass still work normally after I've patched the game?

Edited by soundaholic

You need a decently sized SD card, but no flashcards or anything. Streetpass should work normally. eShop should still work, but you'll only be able to access the one for your region so no JP DLC or anything. Also you can't patch the DLC (easily) so anything you get may or may not have the patch effects.

Posted · Hidden by eclipse, February 17, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, February 17, 2016 - No reason given

You need a decently sized SD card, but no flashcards or anything. Streetpass should work normally. eShop should still work, but you'll only be able to access the one for your region so no JP DLC or anything. Also you can't patch the DLC (easily) so anything you get may or may not have the patch effects.

Hi guys, long time lurker here but I created an account just for this. Also I had never planned on installing homebrew or CFW of any sort on my 3DS but the lack of dual audio kind of crossed the line for me. I've done some googling but the whole process wasn't very clear to me.

Anyway I have a New 3DSXL at 10.5, and a NA Special Edition copy of the game, and what I'm interested in patching are the Japanese VA, and the Name Restoration. How do I actually go about doing all this? Do I need to install homebrew through Themehax/Browserhax/Menuhax? How do I patch the game ROM? Do I extract the ROM from the cartridge and patch it or patch directly onto the cartridge somehow?

Lastly thank you Team If for doing this, you guys are godsend seriously.

Assuming this works with HANS...

At 10.5, use BrowserHax to access the Homebrew Menu (and install MenuHax for offline access), then you will need to dump your game, obtain xorpads (via tutorial), and you'll drop it into a HANS folder on your SD card. Then instead of starting the game normally, launch Homebrew and start it via HANS. (It is impossible and would be a bad idea to patch the cartridge iteself).

Assuming this works with HANS...

At 10.5, use BrowserHax to access the Homebrew Menu (and install MenuHax for offline access), then you will need to dump your game, obtain xorpads (via tutorial), and you'll drop it into a HANS folder on your SD card. Then instead of starting the game normally, launch Homebrew and start it via HANS. (It is impossible and would be a bad idea to patch the cartridge iteself).

You should be able to play online, post to Miiverse, and do other things while on Homebrew, right? Also, what happens if you load the game from the HOME Menu? Will it still launch like normal?

Edited by WindPower

You should be able to play online, post to Miiverse, and do other things while on Homebrew, right? Also, what happens if you load the game from the HOME Menu? Will it still launch like normal?

More or less. If you load from the standard Sysnand home menu (aka just booting up the 3ds normally) without any cfw then yes it should work as normal.

Edited by luyairis

You can also use this patch in the latest firmware updates, right? (Hopefully)

Also, is save data from the changed version and the normal version seperate?

The patch will be usable via the Homebrew Launcher, whether that works in the latest FW or not is not for the team to decide.

Nobody would be able to answer your 2nd Question, we would need to actually have the game first before answering that.

This is a problem I have with hans on the japanese version at the moment. I can't get any of the online features to work when I'm playing the game through hans (had the same problem with Pokemon as well). Is there a work around or is it just me being dumb? xD

You'd have to change every script file in which be appears. There are no defined variables for character names (except the MU), so you'd have to go through the patch files with a text editor, use the find function, replace all instances, and repack it up. Honestly if you know what you're doing it shouldn't take over 30 minutes.

Wow thank you for replying to such a strange question it's a lot of help!

This is a problem I have with hans on the japanese version at the moment. I can't get any of the online features to work when I'm playing the game through hans (had the same problem with Pokemon as well). Is there a work around or is it just me being dumb? xD

Are you using a NA 3ds? Homebrew allows you to bypass the region lock for playing games, but it doesn't actually change your system region. You need a JP 3ds (or a cfw that supports region changing) to access the JP online features.

Is the fan translation up to date? I recall seeing some sketchy spelling and text loading errors, supports didn't work, (lol, etc.

And since the leaks for Conquest/Birthright are out, have you guys taken a look to see if the subtitled scenes/amie are possible in the undubbing/restoration?

You'd have to change every script file in which be appears. There are no defined variables for character names (except the MU), so you'd have to go through the patch files with a text editor, use the find function, replace all instances, and repack it up. Honestly if you know what you're doing it shouldn't take over 30 minutes.

Pretty annoying when games do this (NES for example), but I guess having something as temporary over something as long-term as variables is less of a memory hog.

Here's hoping a HANS patch comes out by the way!

it wIll work using homebrew right? (im just being nervous, sorry for asking it again)

also, how about the DLC's? in case revelation, because revelation in NA SE is DLC, not in cartridge like JP SE, will the patch work for DLC?

Thanks anyway

Would installing the Japanese VA and Amie restoration patches corrupt or compromise the game or certain features of it and would this likewise happen to the region lock and functionality of my 3Ds? What are the potential side effects which could occur?

it wIll work using homebrew right? (im just being nervous, sorry for asking it again)

also, how about the DLC's? in case revelation, because revelation in NA SE is DLC, not in cartridge like JP SE, will the patch work for DLC?

Thanks anyway

Yes, it is planned for Homebrew. Also if you don't know how the patch will work for DLC beforehand, then it's safe to say you won't be able to apply it.

Would installing the Japanese VA and Amie restoration patches corrupt or compromise the game or certain features of it and would this likewise happen to the region lock and functionality of my 3Ds? What are the potential side effects which could occur?

No, it wouldn't, for Homebrew users at least, assuming we can get it to work on Homebrew. Well, you would probably lose the blowing function. Dunno why you would think it would affect region lock and the like, but you wouldn't have region lock, being on Homebrew anyways.

Potential side effects? Uhh, you mess up and your game doesn't load, and so you have to redo the process again. If you're worried about bricking via Homebrew you're worrying too much.

Is the fan translation up to date? I recall seeing some sketchy spelling and text loading errors, supports didn't work, (lol, etc.

Up to date? The version in the OP is the latest version, if that's what you mean. It's a fairly sizable fanwork so there are plenty of errors and bugs and the like, and only 10% of the supports are done. There's a bug reporting link in the OP, though, and submitting stuff you catch there is the best way for it to get fixed in an update.