Rena Strober appreciation thread

Thane

Dear AMAZING people on this thread. Sorry it took me a while to get logged in..but i finally figured it out!

Let me first say that I've ready every single comment and am moved beyond belief at your kindness and support.

I've worked on many games but mostly come from the Broadway/TV world where there aren't as many people voicing opinions on the internet. I had no idea I was about to become part of something so big and so exciting. Anything of this magnitude is going to come with its lovers & haters.

I'm learning quickly to disregard unwarranted criticism and focus on my work and the amazing FE fans!! I'm also doing what I love everyday..singing and bringing life to these awesome characters and feel lucky to do so.

It's so easy to get swept up in the drama and lose site of what's really important...to tell the story and hope that players enjoy the journey.

I feel very lucky to have fans like you and hope you continue to enjoy my work. I loved singing for FE and I've got more exciting projects in the works.

Please keep in touch and I'll do the same...and thanks again for turning a crappy day into one I'll never forget!!!

With Deep Gratitude,

Rena

Think about this for a moment: you are now officially a Nintendo character like Mario.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said so earlier, but i wont lie. At the beginning i wast expecting much, ive seen good games get ruined by bad voice acting...but in fire emblem fates, im happy to say the voices are fantastic and Azura sounds like the sweetheart i hoped she would be! ty so much miss Rena! did you do the singing too? it was gorgeous and calming

I'm glad we managed to perk her up. She sang Lost In Thoughts All Alone really well, and I'd gladly be listening to the no doubt well executed voice clips right now... if my disease know as living in the middle of nowhere didn't keep me from acquiring a copy day one. :P

Happy Launch Day everybody, and good luck in future projects Rena!

It's always awesome when people in the industry take their time to visit the fans.

It's great to have you around, Ms. Strober. I'm enjoying your singing and acting in the game, and I hope to hear you more in future projects.

I'm late to the party, but I found Rena Strober's work in Fates absolutely amazing. Although people are of course entitled to their opiniions, said opinions are no reason to attack others and she did not deserve the horrible initial reaction.

Besides, she seems like an awesome, cool person. You got yourself a fan from me, Rena!

Welcome to Serenes Forest, Ms. Strober! The work that you've done for this game is amazing, and I hope that you'll find this site to be enjoyable as well. Thank you for taking the time to speak with us!

I'm late to this party, but I'll chime in as well. I think Ms. Strober did an excellent rendition of the song. It's already been mentioned previously, but it's not easy to do the dub of a song. I like both the Japanese and English versions of the song. It reminds me of the days when Anime had both Japanese and English versions of the intro and ending songs. I remember fondly my days spent listening to both the Japanese and English versions of the intro and ending songs of Tenchi Muyo (good Lord, I'm dating myself here...).

What a lot of people don't realize is that words are things. They do have an impact on others and once they're put out there, they can't be taken back. You are literally "hung by the tongue." If I've learned anything from the Inception movie, it's that "positive emotion trumps negative emotion every time." It's also estimated that it takes five positive statements to counteract a negative one. It's my earnest wish that this thread continues to explode so that it utterly eclipses any of the negative commentary that Ms. Strober has received to date. The only silver lining of having critics is that they are a decent barometer of success and that you're doing something right (e.g. Mother Teresa has more hate pages on the internet than Hitler). I'll leave things off with the often quoted Theodore Roosevelt,

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Late to the party as well... :P

Ms. Strober, I personally had a really hard time getting used to the English version of Lost in Thought All Alone because a couple of the notes that you were trying to hit were a little out of tune (sorry for being a little picky, my ears are sensitive to that kind of stuff :P) but after listening to it a few dozen times, I came to appreciate the amount of effort that was put into the lyrics and vocals more. I had no idea that people would stoop so low as to threaten someone over their work just because it wasn't what THEY wanted but I'm glad that the people here came through with their support to help make you feel better. I hope to see more of your work come to light in the near future and I will support you all the way. :3

Edited by DaisukeRei

Hope I'm not to late to add my piece.

I'll admit, I was at first worried about how the English version of the song would turn out. Not that it would be any fault of yours, Ms. Strober, but I was worried about how well a song that was written and sung in Japanese would translate into English.

When I first heard your voice in the E3 trailer, I was stunned. It was even more beautiful then I ever could ever hope for! Since then, I was eager to hear the full English version of the song. When the final Smash Bros, DLC was announced, I was just as excited to hear the song as I was to playing as Corrin and Bayonetta.

And I'll be honest: The first time I heard the song in Smash, I cried. It was just so beautiful, and it easily became one of my all-time favorite songs. Still in the process of learning the lyrics, I got most of it memorized now. :)

But anyway, as someone who has heard and loved the Japanese version, I'd say that your cover of Lost In Thoughts All Alone is easily on par with Renka's original. Thank you so much, Ms. Strober, for lending your voice to Azura and I do hope to hear you again in future projects!

Edited by Fastesthe1

At first I didn't know what to think because i was used to the Japanese voice and I grew to like her voice. I'm looking forward to playing the game and hearing her voice! Ms. Strober, I thank you for your amazing work!

I haven't said anything yet, because I try to refrain from posting too much, but you're such a good person, I feel this has to be said, even if a hundred people before me have. Your singing is excellent, and I tend to be very critical of singing, growing up in a family that is all about musical theatre. I would definitely say that Lost in Thoughts All Alone is brilliantly sung, because, even though they don't match the words perfectly, the syllables are well punctuated, to the point where I can tell the eight notes from the quarter notes (which I'm bad at) and they also line up with the Japanese version.

Another thing is, I don't like listening to Japanese songs very much, or any other non-latin based language for that matter, because I can't tell through my knowledge of Latin what they mean, even slightly. Hearing your English version was a relief because I find it very uncomfortable having to rely on Google Translate to understand the lyrics. I also just like your voice in general, it's really quite soothing!

I feel a bit oblivious for stumbling on eliesons article only now but better late than never. I still haven't gotten my hands on fates because of a small shipping error but i will say i am infinitely more psyched to get it simply to hear your singing. It means a lot to hear a beautiful voice but it means so much more to meet a beautiful person. No one who works that hard and goes out of their way to interact with fans deserves the kind of rude reception some ungrateful fans gave. Ill be anxiously awaiting my special edition to hear the music you made possible. Welcome to the Forrest Mrs.Strober!

I just wanted to say Thanks again for all the amazing support! I LOVE coming on here to see how much people are enjoying the game since Friday. Hopefully you spent the weekend with all the new characters! (And sleeping in)

xo

Rena

I'm still waiting for my game in the mail. XD I should have it by the end of the week, and I am absolutely certain that I will enjoy it. :)

I might have been out of the loop but I thought her acting and voice work was phenomenal. Were people just being trolls or what?

It seemed to be more about the lack of dual audio and taking it out on Ms. Strober, since she's a lot more well-known and easily reachable than the Corporate Executives that would've made the decision.

It seemed to be more about the lack of dual audio and taking it out on Ms. Strober, since she's a lot more well-known and easily reachable than the Corporate Executives that would've made the decision.

I don't see how her voice acting would even remotely impact the decision not to include dual audio. If anything it was probably harder to make the songs sound as good as they did apart from the Japanese release (and make the songs themselves make sense). I actually like the English version of the songs better.

Edited by LordTaco42

I don't see how her voice acting would even remotely impact the decision not to include dual audio. If anything it was probably harder to make the songs sound as good as they did apart from the Japanese release (and make the songs themselves make sense). I actually like the English version of the songs better.

Didn't say it was. The decision to not include dual audio would've been made as a result of licensing issues with either VALSHE or Renka's agencies. However, quite a few people prefer the Japanese singing (and there's nothing wrong with that) and got upset at the lack of dual audio. They wouldn't know VALSHE or Renka's agencies or the corporate executives who made the decision, so they would've taken it out on the person that most of them knew about, which unfortunately happened to be Ms. Strober. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they blame her for the lack of dual audio (they'd have to be clinically lobotomised to believe that), but rather that complaining about her singing was the easiest way to express their distaste.

I just wanted to say Thanks again for all the amazing support! I LOVE coming on here to see how much people are enjoying the game since Friday. Hopefully you spent the weekend with all the new characters! (And sleeping in)

xo

Rena

Ah, unfortunately I was not able to play it over the weekend, since I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. But it should be here soon, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing it, finally!

xo

Rena

Not quite yet for me I'm afraid. Waiting for my Special Edition to come in the mail.

Although this is a tad late; Welcome to the Forest Miss Strober! We hope you enjoy the flora~

Can't wait until I get to hear you sing!