Why is Silas so popular here?

Clarissa

No offense. I only played the Japanese version when it released in last year. Then I found there are many Japanese people don't like Silas. They call him "Self-proclaimed best friend" because Kamui/Corrin didn't remember him as a best childhood friend in the first place, there are even a few players suspect he might be the final boss before story ends. Another reason why people don't like him is his supports with Nohr sisters, he asked Camilla and Elise to become his sisters, and wished they can treat him like Kamui/Corrin.

I didn't ship him with Nohr sisters, I only found his supports and skinship lines are boring to me. But I've seen almost everyone who played Enlish version likes him a lot. Probably he will become the top 1 of the local popularity poll. I just want to know why so many people love him. Is this a culture difference?

By the way, here're the characters popularity polls from official website and Nintendo Dream Magazine.

post-21279-0-91592000-1456166852_thumb.jpeg

post-21279-0-13164900-1456166867_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Clarissa

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats kinda odd because at least in the Nohr path Corrin does remember Silas once he tells him about their time as kids and how he was almost executed. Silas also talks about some things in the supports that Corrin recalls.

I can't speak for everyone but I can tell you why I personally like him.

At first, Silas did indeed fade into the background for me. He was overshadowed by the likes of Arthur, Niles, Odin and Leo. Over time, however, it was through his simplicity that he began to stand out.

Silas is the average knight. He works hard, has a relatively normal personality and he is useful in battle. His allegiance to Kamui is the standard D-riding as is common in this game but, in terms of fantasy, I like to think of him as the typical knight protecting his liege. In terms of being a girl, he fits the mold of white knight for the Nohr princess. Had they given him a bit more depth and less D-riding, he might have stood out a bit more and garnered a bit more favor, in my opinion.

As he is, I quite like Silas.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Ahh, I don't like him either, tbh. I got the 'self-proclaimed best friend' vibe from him, too, and it always felt like the game wanted me to like him because of that connection that I couldn't really stand. For me, the supports I've seen range from generally boring to downright annoying. If he wasn't so fixated on Corrin (and trumpeted their best friends status less) and/or more supports actually took him down a peg, I'd probably find him more endearing.

Allllll of that said, I think I've seen people like him for being a good unit and/or the 'loyal best friend' shtick being a positive thing for them instead of off-putting.

I think he's also fairly popular with people who don't want to marry the royals, because knocking them off gives you a lot less story-prominent pairing options for F!Corrin.

Edited by blinkingbrave

He's pretty cool, he is obviously loyal to the Avatar. He is the only person I felt comfortable marrying Elise as I am RPing my game as wel as playing Eugenics, my Best Friend, and my sister, both rather young. Just the least creepy. All the other royals are marrying each other to bring Hoshido and Nohr together.

Plus Silas is an awesome Cavalier->Pally, though Peri has better growths (by like 3) this first run. His supports are GENERALLY positive, and he almost reminds me of Mozu: the fact is he has a regular design. I could see him being a regular mook cavalier yet he rises above it al.

I like Silas because he isn't a self proclaimed best friend; it's just that you both were really young when the events happened. And it's obvious that Corrin remembers it at some point. And he'd want Corrin's biggest role models (the Nohrian sisters) to treat him like they treat her/him because they would obviously know him (being that Corrin & Silas are Nohrian friends from when Corrin grew up in Nohr).

And I do love myself some childhood friendship love interest.

Allllll of that said, I think I've seen people like him for being a good unit and/or the 'loyal best friend' shtick being a positive thing for them instead of off-putting.

I think he's also fairly popular with people who don't want to marry the royals, because knocking them off gives you a lot less story-prominent pairing options for F!Corrin.

I agree with this assessment. But for me, he's just kinda... there. Other than the childhood friend thing, there's just not enough characterization for him to stand out. And I can safely say that he will not place at the top of the popularity poll, even in the West. Those spots are pretty much set...

Don't like him either. Like what other people said, he's boring and creepy. His support with Camilla somehow managed to be worse in the NoA version with the A rank. Did they change the Elise x Silas support chain?

Thank goodness, yes. That whole "sleeping together" thing was extremely creepy. Now it's replaced by training.

I agree with this assessment. But for me, he's just kinda... there. Other than the childhood friend thing, there's just not enough characterization for him to stand out. And I can safely say that he will not place at the top of the popularity poll, even in the West. Those spots are pretty much set...

Thank goodness, yes. That whole "sleeping together" thing was extremely creepy. Now it's replaced by training.

Did it used to be bad? In the new one he basically just asks for her to be his sister for a day. It's actually rather cute.

For me it's because he's pretty normal. Too many loud and/or gimmicky characters tire me out quickly. I don't get a boring vibe from him, not sure why. And I like his design. Hope he doesn't disappoint. His English VA helps, too.

Did it used to be bad? In the new one he basically just asks for her to be his sister for a day. It's actually rather cute.

It wasn't REALLY bad, I guess. But Elise came up with the suggestion that for their "bro-sis bonding activity," they should sleep together...

It wasn't REALLY bad, I guess. But Elise came up with the suggestion that for their "bro-sis bonding activity," they should sleep together...

Oh. OH. Yeah that would be a little weird. Wasn't she like 12-14 in Japan (and I have no idea what age she is in NA. Head canon is siblings on both sides are 16,17,17,20 but nothing to back that up)?

I feel like a bunch of his supports--at least in the JP, gives off a really judgmental vibe for some reasons

and I guess the way it's written grated on me a lot

I don't always mind judgmental as a flaw but it's the execution thereof

Haven't read much of the English to see if anything changed, bc I can't get into him enough in the JP for me to look forward to reading his supports

Edited by Thor Odinson

I agree with this assessment. But for me, he's just kinda... there. Other than the childhood friend thing, there's just not enough characterization for him to stand out.

Welp, there's my opinion of him. I can appreciate that he looks normal in a world filled with katana-wielding lobsters and royal retainers with cotton candy hair, but sadly, his personality just isn't explored. He likes training, he's a good guy and he doesn't get pissed that Corrin forgot all about him but that's about it - feel free to prove me wrong, but as far as I remember, there's nothing to him.

I feel like a bunch of his supports--at least in the JP, gives off a really judgmental vibe for some reasons

and I guess the way it's written grated on me a lot

I don't always mind judgmental as a flaw but it's the execution thereof

Haven't read much of the English to see if anything changed, bc I can't get into him enough in the JP for me to look forward to reading his supports

I'm sort of getting that vibe from him in his English supports that I have seen so far. But it's not really in a negative way. What I am getting from him is that he thinks he is the sort of guy who can help/improve/fix the flaws that he sees in everyone else. Which would honestly be super hella annoying in real life, but combined with him sounding like Pit's VA (not sure if it actually is) and he is coming off pretty likeable. Plus playing tag with Rinkah is super-cute so there's that.

Brithright Silas: The same stats as Nohr!Silas, higher weapon rank, more expensive weapons.

Revetaltion Silas: Crazy stats especially HP, max weapon rank.

You shouldn't let Silas lead your army, Garon.

Welp, there's my opinion of him. I can appreciate that he looks normal in a world filled with katana-wielding lobsters and royal retainers with cotton candy hair, but sadly, his personality just isn't explored. He likes training, he's a good guy and he doesn't get pissed that Corrin forgot all about him but that's about it - feel free to prove me wrong, but as far as I remember, there's nothing to him.

Ah, there it is. Approval by the great Thane :D

I'm gonna be honest here, I only really like him because I adore the childhood friends. They're always really cute. I started liking stuff like that when I watched a playthrough of DMMD, but that doesn't really matter. If it weren't for that, I'd probably be 500% indifferent to him.

Edited by Matt-hue

He's hit and miss for me. Sometimes he's a nice, normal guy, and other times he acts like a jerk for no reason. His first support with Hana comes across as straight-up negging.

The real question is how Saizou finished so low on those popularity polls when he's clearly the best male

At least his English support with Hana's changed to give some regards to her character and painted her bad performance as a one-off having a bad day type of deal. The JP one straight up sucks Silas's dick.

Saizou's probably because his initial impression can be a turn off making people not want to get to know him more but his supports are so fucking good

Edited by Thor Odinson

Saizou's probably because his initial impression can be a turn off making people not want to get to know him more but his supports are so fucking good

He has the best support in the entire series.

Most "loyal knight" characters are rather popular, so maybe it's based more on his relation to Corrin than his personality.

Edited by Baldrick

I'm not kidding when I say the only reason I'm marrying Silas on my main file is because I saw his background story with Corrin during E3 and immediately thought "that is both the cheesiest and cutest thing I've ever seen. I'm marrying him."

Really I would mostly assume his popularity stems from that and the whole knight x princess relationship going on here which I guess is more popular here in the West. Also I guess if you don't plan on marrying a sibling, Silas is one of the most "fitting"? But why seriously why are Forrest and Saizou that low. Forrest and Saizou are too fabulous for that.