Why is Silas so popular here?

Clarissa

I don't think reducing the amount of supports would increase quality, because I am convinced that there is at least one idiot in the IS support writing team (Eponine's support writer and Anna's writer), and he/she will end up creating another piece of shit if he/she isn't fired.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same. Sophie is awesome.

At least she ended with a cool mom in this game. (Hana)

(ps sorry Hana lmao)

Sophie's mum this time, was Azura. Im not doing it again because of what poor Azura had to deal with in the support chain. But goddamn if Sophie doesnt look adorable with that hair.

I think--and speaking as someone who really don't like Silas, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that he has this flaw. Having flaws isn't the issue.

I dislike him because his particular flaw is one that rubs me wrong. I do like that he's often called out on his behavior. It's just the way his flaw manifests really grates on me, so I don't enjoy reading about him. JP!Silas x Hana is actually what pushed it over the line---although the English supports improved it and made it a lot less onesided (the JP supports really wanted to suck Silas's dick and defenestrated Hana's character in doing so)--I still don't like that support anyway, but I can say it got better, the impression is already there, and it's very hard to change from that.

But I also don't view him having that flaw as a bad thing in itself. Just flawed characters have flaws, and some flaws will make people react differently than others. In this case, the way his pushy, highly confrontational manifestation of his judgement in conjunction with lack of other traits that particularly appeals to me makes him a character very difficult for me to enjoy reading about.

Plus a lot of his supports that rub me the wrong way are with characters I like more than him. Including one of my absolute favorite characters. So that didn't help.

This, so very much.

I think--and speaking as someone who really don't like Silas, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that he has this flaw. Having flaws isn't the issue.

I dislike him because his particular flaw is one that rubs me wrong. I do like that he's often called out on his behavior. It's just the way his flaw manifests really grates on me, so I don't enjoy reading about him. JP!Silas x Hana is actually what pushed it over the line---although the English supports improved it and made it a lot less onesided (the JP supports really wanted to suck Silas's dick and defenestrated Hana's character in doing so)--I still don't like that support anyway, but I can say it got better, the impression is already there, and it's very hard to change from that.

But I also don't view him having that flaw as a bad thing in itself. Just flawed characters have flaws, and some flaws will make people react differently than others. In this case, the way his pushy, highly confrontational manifestation of his judgement in conjunction with lack of other traits that particularly appeals to me makes him a character very difficult for me to enjoy reading about.

Plus a lot of his supports that rub me the wrong way are with characters I like more than him. Including one of my absolute favorite characters. So that didn't help.

• Silas is the only one who outright insults her and spends their entire support chain doing so, and is the only one who doesn't eventually admit that her style of art is perfectly fine as it is. In their A Support, literally the only good thing he can say about her art compared to his own horrible art is that hers has "artistic intent," which is tantamount to saying "hey, you didn't mean to be horrible, but you are."
  • Silas criticizes Hana out of nowhere, insults Sakura for no reason, and insists that Hana's devotion to Sakura can't possibly be anywhere near as strong as his devotion to Corrin is. I think it's perfectly understandable that Hana would want to give Silas a taste of his own medicine.
  • None of the other people Rinkah had supports with tricked Rinkah into playing a children's game under the guise of a "form of battle" to teach her a lesson like she's a child.
  • Having gone back and reread it, the Effie/Silas support is basically shilling Silas, and Effie kind of had a point in that support. Effie was a street urchin while Silas was a noble, and she had to work much harder to become a knight and eventually become Elise's retainer.
  • I also forgot Silas/Felcica, where he brings up a completely unsubstantiated and insulting rumor to her without first checking to see if the rumor was true, though at least in this one he recognizes that he messed up and tries to make it up to Felicia.

Yeah, I agree, I have no problem with Silas being a flawed character. The problem is for me is that a( the script still wants him to be the only sane man, which fails because he's obsessed with Corrin in a way that rivals Camilla and Jakob, and b( the script really wants us to see him a Stahl-esque super-nice person who is very understanding despite these moments of jerkassery (or maybe even don't consider what he's doing wrong, given how some of those supports resolve themselves), except instead of doing what Awakening did and show us Stahl being kind and understanding with all of his support options, they had Silas spend several supports (and I do mean several--the supports that I've mentioned total about 1/3 of his supports) being a jerk.

Honestly, Silas's behavior reversed from what I'd expect in that case. Most of the characters he's rude/creepy to are women of noble standing or an equivalent--Kagero, Orochi, and Hana are of noble birth, Rinkah is the daughter of the leader of one of Hoshido's allies, Felicia is the daughter of the leader of one of Nohr's vassals, and Camilla, Azura, Elise and Sakura are all princesses. And while I don't particularly like them, he's much less judgmental and rude in his supports with Mozu and Charlotte, and arguably two of the supports that put him in the best light are with Beruka and Nyx, both commoners.

I agree with all of this. I have no issues with characters being flawed and being jerks here and there. Everyone has flaws and there is nothing wrong with that. The times that I will have issues with a character being flawed and/or a jerk is when the reasons for their behavior aren't given at some point or when they are allowed to keep doing it without getting called out by someone.

I do like that Silas get called out on his behavior in some supports, but like Lumi mentioned his flaw really grates on me and while I still like him it made me put him lower on the list. His kid is cute, but one of the few women I will feel comfortable s supporting him with is Mozu because their support is actually good and Beruka and Nyx have better s supports elsewhere.

Edited by Frelia

I thought he was going to be the final boss, too. He just seemed so suspicious. But I dunno, once I realized he's clear I just think he's average; he's a nice guy and not too weird but it's a little creepy how he is so attached to the player .

I thought he was going to be the final boss, too. He just seemed so suspicious. But I dunno, once I realized he's clear I just think he's average; he's a nice guy and not too weird but it's a little creepy how he is so attached to the player .

To be entirely fair to Silias he actually has a reason for his at times awkward devotion to Corin. It's not super dramatic but I can see it.

TL:DR Silias was a mopey Takumiface with no friends and Corin's diabetes personality got him to open up but then Silias got tossed on his neck before he could actually repay what he feels was a heavy debt.

It's really badly presented but that's just fates writing.

Edited by joshcja

I'm neutral toward him, I only like his voice and his daughter, he is a childhood friend trope and the only characters that I like in that trope are from yaois, also, Silas is a jerk toward a lot of people at the point that is the same as Joker, but he's interesant at least, he can be easily dropped and admit it, he deseve to live in the friendzone for the eternity with his weird loyalty/obsesion with Kamui

The real question is; why is TAKUMI so popular?

Because he's probably one of the most relatable/realistic characters in Conquest

He doesn't put up with Corrin's shit, and has actual human flaws (i.e. an inferiority complex)

Edited by Pixelman

Because he's probably one of the most relatable/realistic characters in Conquest

He doesn't put up with Corrin's shit, and has actual human flaws (i.e. an inferiority complex)

Don't forget his bow is the closest thing to a nuke in Fates.

I liked him at first, until he got his c-support with Hana. Seriously, if he was real, I'd probably end up punching him in the face.

It also really bothered me how he would go around telling people "I am Corrin's best friend" instead of "He is my best friend".

Like, no one else is as close to Corrin as I am because I said so.

• 1 month later...

Personally I don't mind Silas. He's a cool dude and I like the childhood friends thing. I do also find him too judgmental though. His biggest problem is his hair though. Ick.

This. Well the judgmental bit. He tends to be nice to Kamui/Corrin and accidentally/not-so-accidentally a dick to everyone else.

While I really like Takumi's character and found him to be an interesting antagonist in Conquest, I do have to wonder why anyone would marry him. Being his wife would probably require a lot of patience to deal with his temperament and he'd need constant reassurance due to his insecurities. And no, you can't just fuck these problems out of someone.

I like Silas myself, even though he's not my favorite. He's pretty kind and willing to side with you after being separated for so long - it's just nice to know he holds no harsh feelings when you forgot who he was. His support with Ryoma was especially nice to read.

But I do agree that a few of his other supports are a little... cringeworthy. His Camilla support, especially at A, was rather weird. For some reason though I wasn't bothered by his support with Elise - at least it wasn't half as creepy as Camilla's But at the same time I feel that he isn't as much of a dick as, say, Jakob is regarding non-royal supports. Then again, I know that a few of Jakob's supports were toned down a bit in the US version.

• 1 year later...

In general I think part of why Silas is so liked is a combination of both he's a great unit and his character revolves around being the "nice guy". As far as being a self-proclaimed best friend I never really thought of that nor did I get that impression, I DID get the impression though that Corrin is either really thoughtless or has a HORRIFICALLY bad memory. In addittion to forgetting about Silas he also forgot that Selena and Beruka used to watch over him as an example. Frankly I think Silas should have been one of Corrin's official retainers from the start, but then you wouldn't have had to fight him on Birthright or Revelations. Written below are some of my reasons why I like him.

1) He's a nice character in some ways similar to Gregor and Stahl from Awakening both of whom I also like

2) He doesn't have an outlandish or loud personality, in other words he doesn't have Arthur's or Owain's gimmick both of whom can be annoying after a while

3) Out of the Fates cast his character seems more normal by comparison, his only gimmick really seems to be that he's Corrin's most loyal friend and he's a nice guy. However he is also loyal to the rest of the royals as he will carry out any order from them and will fully cooperate with any of their wishes as a knight should.

4) He is a very solid unit, he may even turn out better than Xander. If there were ranged swords in the game one could double with Silas would undoubtedly be just as good if not better than Xander.