"Fire Emblem Fates Boasts the Best-Ever Launch for the Series in the United States"

XeKr

As someone enjoying Fates and who likes Fire Emblem in general, I think this is wonderful news. It seems likely that the series has a bright future ahead of it. While Fates is not a perfect game, good sales are important. Good sales lead to the opportunity to have more entries in the series and more entries lead to further opportunities to improve the series.

I wonder if this means dual games will be a thing from now on. It's fine imo, as long as the games are actually different. Fates is done pretty nicely, better than Pokemon.

Fire Emblem isn't Pokemon first and foremost ;)

Also, "wonder" nothing. Fates is only the second game in the series with a dual storyline: Everyone seems to forget the first, Sacred Stones. Several games were released between the two. The reason Fates was released as 3 titles is because of how much story content is involved and Nintendo figured out how to convert the story into 3 full campaigns. Sacred Stones is a bit different as while yes there are two Lords and two campaigns, it was nowhere as big as Fates is (it was released on the Game Boy Advance).

Well deserved indeed. :)

Looks like Fire Emblem is here to stay.

Hell yeah.

I hope this also means we won't get shafted ala Binding Blade and Heroes of Light and Shadow. It also looks like Fire Emblem will join Pokemon as a handheld staple =O

Fire Emblem isn't Pokemon first and foremost ;)

Also, "wonder" nothing. Fates is only the second game in the series with a dual storyline: Everyone seems to forget the first, Sacred Stones. Several games were released between the two. The reason Fates was released as 3 titles is because of how much story content is involved and Nintendo figured out how to convert the story into 3 full campaigns. Sacred Stones is a bit different as while yes there are two Lords and two campaigns, it was nowhere as big as Fates is (it was released on the Game Boy Advance).

Not to mention that unlike Fates, the paths converge after a certain point. There's still dialogue differences depending on the route chosen, but on the whole, they're not two separate stories.

I wonder if this means dual games will be a thing from now on. It's fine imo, as long as the games are actually different. Fates is done pretty nicely, better than Pokemon.

I agree. As a Pokemon fan, I can agree Fates does it better. It has a different story & different boss, not just different characters to get

I'm really happy that both versions are selling well. Hopefully since they both did well that Nintendo will have the games here on out be a good balance between Conquest's, challenge, unique maps and objectives and Birthright's grinding and easy for beginners to pick up.

Awesome. This will definitely breathe new life into the franchise.

I am enjoying Birthright, so far. I'll like Conquest better, obviously, but this entry in the series has, by far, the BEST gameplay. My only gripe with the gameplay is the "capture command" being limited to two units only. =(

Interesting. I think Birthright did better in Japan. Do American FE fans like to stick to series traditional more?

As a fan of the other 2015 Fire Emblem (kind of), I'm... not too pleased at what I perceive as internal competition. But hey, good news for FE in general.

Looks like a million copies sold is pretty much Garon-teed, unless Europe gets pissed for waiting so long and decides not to buy the game

If so:

c82.png

Edited by The DanMan

I have a bit of a headache so I skimmed the article, but are they counting the two paths as just one unit and attributing the sales from both paths under just one title? If that's the case, I'm not sure how telling it is … I wouldn't be surprised if a non-insignificant number of people bought both paths in the physical form, or own some combination of 2+ physical copies for whatever other reason.

Interesting. I think Birthright did better in Japan. Do American FE fans like to stick to series traditional more?

As a fan of the other 2015 Fire Emblem (kind of), I'm... not too pleased at what I perceive as internal competition. But hey, good news for FE in general.

Conquest was the number one game on Amazon for a while, but supposedly that's because Birthright was already sold out. So people bough Conquest when they couldn't get Birthright.

This is great news. I know many don't like it because Fire Emblem isn't as traditional as it once was, HOWEVER, if Fire Emblem stuck to it's old traditions whatever Awakening would have been would have been the last Fire Emblem. The old style just can't compete. Gotta take what we can get.

I think it is sad and weird that I get upset by this. I liked Fire Emblem before it was cool .... I bought Radiant Dawn at release.

Grumble grumble... get off my lawn!

Same. Been playing since FE8 in fourth grade... now I'm in my second year of college. Only ones I haven't played are Thracia and PoR at this point. I can't find a PoR disk OR Rom and it ticks me off.

I have a bit of a headache so I skimmed the article, but are they counting the two paths as just one unit and attributing the sales from both paths under just one title? If that's the case, I'm not sure how telling it is … I wouldn't be surprised if a non-insignificant number of people bought both paths in the physical form, or own some combination of 2+ physical copies for whatever other reason.

I have doubts about that. For anyone but collectors a single person buying both Birthright and Conquest physically would be both counterintuitive(and makes you lose out on bonuses) and more expensive, I don't think it would be desirable when the other campaign as DLC is half the price.

The rest of the article is that the launch sales in the US collectively were 5 times greater than Awakening's which was the previous biggest launch and that Birthright is slightly slightly ahead of conquest. So essentially the top selling launches for the series are:

1. Birthright(~150k)

2. Conquest(~150k)

3. Awakening(~60k)

Great and worrying news. On the one hand, more FE is guaranteed and that's awesome. On the other, I hope IS doesn't take this to mean dual version waifu Emblem is the only way the series can be profitable.