Mechanical things/maps you like about FE14[NO PLOT SPOILERS]

MCProductions

Similar to Locke's topic about mechanical dislikes here, http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61073&hl= , I thought I should make a thread that's the exact opposite.

I love unlimited weapon durability and weapon effects.

I adore the nerfed Pair up

1-2 range bow options are awesome

I never realized how much I wanted a 1-2 staff until Fates gave me one.

Nohr chapter 9 is awesome

1-2 range staves are probably my favorite change. Now healers don't have to worry about ranged jerks hitting them because they moved behind someone at a chokepoint.

I really like the Dragon's Vein mechanic, although the implementation tends to be less than stellar when the enemy's using it. (Lookin' at you, Birthright 23.) My favorite use of it is probably Percy's Paralogue.

-I love weapon locked classes finally getting a unique benefit. Not that you'll be getting S weapon ranks with most of your army anyway, but it's still cool!

-I love the new way second seals (or are they heart seals now? I forget) and skill acquisition both work.

-I love love love LOVE that shapechangers work more like the rest of the classes, and have promotions and useful skills.

-I also love that IS tightened the reins on class changing in general. It gives the impression that more thought was put into each character's alternate options. For comparison, see poor Cherche's reclass options in Awakening. (Cleric? Troubadour? Seriously?)

-Fighter and Pegasus Knight are no longer locked based on your gender! Huzzah!

I love the Dragon Vain stuff - altering the map and changing things up makes everything feel awesome.

I love Nohr chapter 10 (castle defense stuff is always fun to me) and I wish Fire Emblem would return to more maps like this.

I love the new guard stance/attack stance mechanics. The pair up system in Awakening was broken as f*ck - no enemies could use it, you almost always got several attacks (especially if you were using brave weapons) and guarding happened all the time with S rank partners.

I like the MyCastle - I wish it were expanded upon, but I thought it was a good direction for the series. I would love more caste-defender style maps with a terrain you got to create.

I like the ideas behind the MyRoom - getting to know your "waifu" and teammates in conversation-style one-on-one time is neat. Fire Emblem sets itself apart from other tactical rpgs by having a huge cast of unique characters. Getting to know them more was a good idea... I just think this iteration was a little awkward.

Most things, honestly!

1. Reinforcements appear at the end of the enemy phase.
2. Debuffs are neat. They're both an interesting tactical option and a way for the game to counter low-manning somewhat.
3. On the note of countering low-manning, that exp formula is something I'd been hoping FE would steer towards for a long, long time.
4. Great map design in general. Every map so far has been super-individually memorable, except, like, Paralogue 1.
5. I like how weapons are balanced by interesting tactical decisions of which one is best for a given situation rather than "lol of course the Killing Edge/Rapier/etc. is better, but it runs out". And in general the balances to weapons in general (e.g. Javelins/Hand Axes).
6. I think there are fun things you can do with various seals to get skills, much more easily than in Awakening where skill builds felt like the province of grindy aftergame territory which I have zero interest in.
7. I got this far without mentioning that attack stance and guard stance are great, they use the ideas of Pair Up and hashed it into a system which is both far better balanced and less random. And then give it to the enemies as well.

I'm quite confident this is my favourite FE mechanically, and only its writing failings keep me debating whether it or Radiant Dawn is my favourite FE overall.

I actually really like Birthright 23. On Lunatic it's the only map to properly challenge me in a "I feel pressure, I must not fuck up" sense and I actually ended up doing it first shot because I stepped up my game to Actual Lunatic Mode and didn't dick around. Otherwise I'm more in a hard mode mindset and play rather recklessly and dicked around a lot more, to varying results.

I think I definitely play better when the game pressures me. It makes me make actually good decisions.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I like the route split. Not story-wise, but the idea of having some choice and a shred of greyness instead of just black-and-white that fire emblem seems oh so accustomed to. I can play as the characters i saw as conquest bosses in birthright, I can get development farther than the undying love for patriotism with Xander, and so on. It's a nice idea, but I wish they had like a small butterfly effect type thing, where, like in Awakening, you'd get a couple small choices, but depending on which ones you chose, the game would play out differently and new options would become available. It's a nice step towards that, though.

I actually really liked Nohr Ch. 10. It was nice to have a defend map where you didn't just survive the first wave then press forward and slaughter everything. It reminded me a lot of my favorite RD map ch. 3-13 where you had to defend the line. Siege weapons actually being useful for you was a big plus.

1. My Castle. It was a great touch that gave uniqueness to everyone playing. Everyone has their own way of setting it up, so it's fun seeing how they do it. I also really love the L-view inside the castle. Climbing up onto one of the towers and looking out over what I made feels great.

Armor Damage/Raider weapons. Even if it's just for cosmetic purposes, it's always fun to strip an enemy boss in front of their troops.

Slapping my spouse awake. I got tired of just rubbing their face after a while and accidentally found that I can "tickle" them awake by slapping them across the face. Would never do it in real life, but it saves time and I'm sure Inigo doesn't mind.

Amiibo support. This'll sound weird, but I find it's really cool that we can bring in characters like Marth and Ike to train and such. Though I do miss the DLC characters from Awakening with their updated art. They would've been cool to add to Fates.

The route split. I love games that let you play as the "bad guy". I just wish it was written well.

Gay/Lesbian characters. Okay, I have a huge beef with how they made it in Fates, but I love that they actually added it at all. I just wish they added more choices to who can be gay/lesbian in each route. Especially when Conquest has such a gigantic bi/lesbian character who literally hooks up with a girl seconds after finishing her paralogue fight (Soleil).

Honestly, I really like basically everything with the new mechanics, but the ones that I can think of right now are:

- The re-vamped weapon triangle.

- Weapon durability, debuffs, and effects.

- Classing system. Thinking of which units to A+ each other is so thought provoking sometimes.

- Lack of grinding (Conquest-specific). It makes me think more on who should really get that kill-shot on the boss haha.

- The forging system. It's pretty neat (though my poor money once I get try to get past +3...).

- Attack/Guard Stance mechanics.

- Most map designs (and the beautiful soundtrack with most of them).

- Personal skills!

- My Castle

Yes! I loved the re-introduction of personal skills! What I didn't like was that some of them are so oddly specific as to be of very little use.

s/o to Sophie's personal skill having nothing at all to do with her character. Like yeah, the personal skills were great and fit most of the characters... but why did they give the clumsy one a skill to strip enemies?

Stat debuffs, more skills, and chapter 12 tha had the whole escape task and medicine and poison pots. Does the OST count? I love it so much. This game is amazing.

This is for Birthright, as I have yet to play Conquest or Revelations:

1. Archers are arguably my favorite class in the entire game, due to the fact that they are actually quite useful in comparison to Awakening.

2. The music is somehow better than Awakening's, which was already pretty good.

3. The story makes me sad, which is good, because I'm emotionally invested.

4. It feels like I actually have to think battles through instead of just abusing pair-ups like in Awakening.

5. My Castle gives a ton of shit to do outside of battle and helps to immerse you inside the world of Fates.

The weapons effects and debuffing are definitely my favorite additions.

The changes to reclassing that makes getting skills not tedious.

The skills themselves.

Attack and Guard stances.

The variety and unique ideas in Conquest's maps.

Dragon Vein is cool.

From a gameplay perspective 2nd characters were implemented way better than in Awakening.

EDIT: Oh, and this game has the best collection of status staves in the series.

Edited by DavidSW

Reinforcements don't attack on the same turn.

Creative map design, especially in Revelations. Even better than Conquest's maps.

Buying skills from My Castle PVP.

Festals having a range of 1-2.

Shuriken.

Petting faces for support ranks.

New weapon triangle. (DUAL WEAPONS!!!)