Weird Story Moments for Spouses [[Spoilers!]]

Kakeyo

[Warning about all the spoilers - not putting anything in spoiler brackets]

So, I know this is going to come off as more of a rant than I want it to, but I really wish, in a game like this, they would alter at least one or two lines of dialogue to account for things like spouses.

Example! At the end of Conquest, Azura apparently sings her way out of existence. Her husband in my game, Leo, says something along the lines of "she was like a wave on the ocean, I guess" and then promptly walks off screen like the conversation bored him. She had two kids with him! And he had nothing else to say besides "I guess she's gone, oh well". It was rather jarring, to say the least.

Another thing - I was married to Xander. He threatens to kill me if I'm wrong about Garon being a slime demon. Really? Kill me? After conquering an enemy nation and doing everything you wanted? You're gonna kill me for miss-calling demon Garon? Jesus Christ. (And the fact he still calls me sister in every cut scene, despite, again, our two children). I felt it was rather odd... It really took me out of the moment.

And then on Hoshido, Azura was married to Takumi. You can probably already see where this is going... He had almost a similar reaction to Leo in that he could barely muster the caring - he sniffled, only after being prodded about her disappearance. Two children with her! Two! That wasn't a one night stand - they were married and worried about things like their son studying history enough. Jeez.

Lastly, on both routes you get a "and then everyone prayed really hard for you to come back to life" type of cut-scene. Everyone says something generic (except for Kana, who references you as mother/father) including whoever you happen to be married. Really? They don't have altered text? It seems weird that Saizo isn't concerned for the death of his wife, or that Asugi won't reference you as his mother. Just... weird. Again, took me out of the moment.

And don't even get me started on all the places in the story your spouse should be involved, but isn't. I know it would probably be a cluster-fuck to code a reaction for 73 different people for each little story event (depending on who you married) but if that's the case why not cut back on the number of people you can romance and make the romance a significant thing that impacts the story from time to time? I think I would prefer quality over quantity, but sometimes I think I may be over thinking things...

TL;DR - are there any story moments you wish your spouse actually acknowledged your relationship and acted accordingly? Any moments in the story you felt the lack of your spouse's input?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just kind of sick of generic dialogue. I understand that there are a lot of characters and that each character can potentially be your spouse/child/neither, but it kind of makes me really 'meh' towards the entire marriage thing at all. Your children never acknowledge you as their parent (other than Kana) outside of support conversations, your spouse doesn't care/doesn't seem to exist in any ending. It really drives home how divorced the story is from pairings this time around as if they really did just add it in at the end, and it makes me really apathetic towards it as a whole. The fact that you can marry siblings and no one bats an eyelash (including the sibling in question) reinforces that.

TL;DR: I pretty much treat story and marriage as two separate things, but I expected more/even a small improvement on Awakening after it actually got some pretty heartwarming, great variable scenes if you married particular story-related people.

EDIT: Oh, and I haven't actually done this but...

[spoiler=Revelation Spoilers]Crimson dying and only Ryoma caring despite her potentially being the mother of Corrin's child is jarring indeed. For how much they seem to acknowledge the popularity of the waifu aspects over at ol' IS, they don't seem to be able to commit to it very well.

Edited by nordopolica

TL;DR: I pretty much treat story and marriage as two separate things, but I expected more/even a small improvement on Awakening after it actually got some pretty heartwarming, great variable scenes if you married particular story-related people.

But that's what I'm talking about! Those slight changes made marrying Chrom or Lucina a hundred times more touching (and all they did was alter maybe three to four lines of text!). I honestly thought they would do more with that in this game... but then I was wrong.

[spoiler=Revelation Spoilers]Crimson dying and only Ryoma caring despite her potentially being the mother of Corrin's child is jarring indeed. For how much they seem to acknowledge the popularity of the waifu aspects over at ol' IS, they don't seem to be able to commit to it very well.

I heard about this, but I haven't done it myself (but it would be jarring as f*ck and the epitome of what I'm talking about).

Characters stories after the End Game is pretty weird too. Elise married Odin, so right after the final boss, she disappeared with her husband not returning ever again. Strangely, Effie stayed best friend with Elise for rest of her life.

Forget corn, if scarlet had one support it should've been with Ryoma.

Corn shouldn't hog everyone anyway.

IIRC Ryoma continues being sad several chapters in, and in the Zombie Crimson chapter he has the only custom boss dialogue with her. Not Corn, not even if Corn's married to her. Ryoma even brings her home to Hoshido like a fiancee--why can Corn marry her again? Bro code, Corn, bro code.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Characters stories after the End Game is pretty weird too. Elise married Odin, so right after the final boss, she disappeared with her husband not returning ever again. Strangely, Effie stayed best friend with Elise for rest of her life.

lolz

Yes. All of this. I could go on for hours about the end game text being completely filled with contradictions and (in some cases) flat out ignoring anything that happened in the supports that got them there (Silas and Hinoka saying they'll start a new life together in between kingdoms is a lie, spoiler alert).

Edited by Kakeyo

I really miss custom endings for each pair. It's like 3 sentences per pair, is it really that hard?

Rinkah outranks basically all her potential partners except Ryoma. They should go home with her, not make her give up her title of the next fire queen.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Honestly, this is annoying for me too, especially compared with how FE4 went out of its way to account for things like this. Adding another layer of annoying on top of everything else is the fact that they went through so much effort to provide lines for the My Room interactions, but apparently couldn't be bother writing and programming in a few extra lines from Shigure, and Azura's spouse and other kid acknowledging, you know, their wife and mother just died. Or Kana's other parent acknowledging the enemies threatening them and giving an equally awesome boast. None of the other parents apparently care about their children risking their necks/being in danger. If Corrin has another kid, that kid won't acknowledge Corrin outside supports. But at least there are voiced lines for the My Room stuff. It's even worse when you compare it to Awakening, where several events were different based on who Chrom or Lucina married.

Edited by AzureSen

I really miss custom endings for each pair. It's like 3 sentences per pair, is it really that hard?

Rinkah outranks basically all her potential partners except Ryoma. They should go home with her, not make her give up her title of the next fire queen.

Yeah, unique endings were really nice in some of the past games. It made me want to replay the whole game just to see what happened to people with different pairings (because I'm crazy like that). But I feel like once you've seen someone's ending in Fates (and by someone I mean the male counterpart, because they apparently dictate what happens to the wives, even if the wife could be queen of a country one day, or loves her family so much she would die for them and would obviously never want to leave) you've seen every ending, basically.

Are there any special endings at all?

(and on a side note, I think everyone wanted Ryoma and Scarlet to get together - its weird that IS ignored this pairing...)

Edited by Kakeyo

Lumi, lobster doesn't go well with salt :P:

In all seriousness, I agree that generic dialogue for almost every situation is kind of boring and sometimes ridiculous. There's such a dissonance between some of those situations that it becomes hard to take seriously. PoR went through the trouble of giving a few minor characters speaking lines, and if that character was dead a slightly modified script to accommodate -- and there were a few support conversations with some lines modified if a certain mentioned character was dead, too. Fates could've done that, too, instead of just generic generic generic.

[spoiler=REVELATION ENDGAME SPOILERS]If I'm not mistaken, the ONLY time who you marry changes the generic/default dialogue is if you marry Aqua in Revelations. That's apparently it.

Fates suffers in general from the entire My Castle side of the game feeling unconnected to the main narrative. Even the Castle itself, which is initially introduced in the main story, is completely forgotten afterwards (the characters often talk about needing to find places to rest, rather than just hopping back to the Astral Realm castle).

Yeah, unique endings were really nice in some of the past games. It made me want to replay the whole game just to see what happened to people with different pairings (because I'm crazy like that). But I feel like once you've seen someone's ending in Fates (and by someone I mean the male counterpart, because they apparently dictate what happens to the wives, even if the wife could be queen of a country one day, or loves her family so much she would die for them and would obviously never want to leave) you've seen every ending, basically.

Are there any special endings at all?

Technically, the Elise/Owain ending mentioned above is special. The Owain side is his generic married ending, but the spouse has special ending epilogue that's only used for marrying Owain and Inigo (and it varies from spouse to spouse - some don't actually go with them), otherwise both males and females go with generic married ending descriptions just glued one to another. There's also a special epilogue description for male characters marrying the female avatar in Revelation.

There are special descriptions for the Niles and Rhajat homosexual pairings too.

Edited by NeonZ

Only real solution is to cut back on S Rank Marriages for everyone.

Soleil for NoA is a good start on platonic support endings as is Kana.

However, I'm not sure the Japanese teams are willing to go that far due to how popular the waifu feature is.

lmao

Wait, did they get rid of the special endings like there were in Awakening and just made them generic? I actually really liked it in awakening because the endings would slightly change depending on the pair. For example whoever paired with Frederick would stay with him in Ylisse, but what they were doing there changed dependent upon who it was.

My only question now is did they do the same stupid ending they had for Robin, for Corrin?

Wait, did they get rid of the special endings like there were in Awakening and just made them generic? I actually really liked it in awakening because the endings would slightly change depending on the pair. For example whoever paired with Frederick would stay with him in Ylisse, but what they were doing there changed dependent upon who it was.

My only question now is did they do the same stupid ending they had for Robin, for Corrin?

Yes, aside from the examples mentioned above(girls with Owain and Inigo, men with female Corrin in Revelations, Niles' and Rajat's homosexual endings), each character only has one paired ending, and the game just mixes and matches them based on the pairing. This does avoid that issue that Robin's endings had in Awakening though. Corrin's ending works just like everyone else's.

Ugh, this so much. I REALLY find a lot of the epilogues disappointing, as well as how to story doesn't seem to acknowledge a characters' married status. I get it, there's a lot of main characters unlike Awakening, and it can't handle them ALL, but they could have at least put effort into the epilogues, instead of just writing two different things up and slapping them together without seeing if they contradict.

If anyone ever made a "new epilogues" patch, I would be so happy.

I don't know if this counts, but while on the subject of paired endings, I feel like I must chip in with Gunter/Corrin in Conquest.

He retires, she becomes his assistant.

Is it just me, or should the epilogues be in tiers of importance rather than just defaulting to males. Something like Rinkah being the more important one in the epilogue unless she marries one of the Royals or Kamui and stuff like that.

This was weird. My Corrin didn't give two shits about Azura, his wife, no longer being there. Could've done a more.. touching farewell. Especially since the whole Lucina deciding to kill Robin thing was way different if you married her or were her mother or something.

I feel like with 3 games of dialogue they sort of skimmed over the "what if he was married to her/him" and were too focused on trying to get a story to work.

This is exactly the most heartbreaking thing to be honest. It seems like they took out any of the caring/heartwarming aspect of Niles (cutting some very sweet lines from his M!Corrin support, changing his my room lines to be less lovey-dovey, etc.) and during Conquest endgame the lack of any sort of unique dialogue from him really put the nail in my coffin. Like, I guess if you don't care that much, despite us being MARRIED, I'll just stay dead. Enjoy taking care of the endgame boss yourself asshole.

I don't know if this counts, but while on the subject of paired endings, I feel like I must chip in with Gunter/Corrin in Conquest.

He retires, she becomes his assistant.

He retires from knighthood and moves to the countryside. So maybe he becomes a farmer/land owner?

It's weird because that paired ending only exists for the female avatar pairing, so it makes no sense that it doesn't match well.

In Odin and Laslow ending both disappeared. I see the Epilogue of Selena with my avatar and it said that both disappeared of the records. The Epilogue In this game are very stranges.

They disappear because they leave Fates' era/world. Many of their supports mention the idea of going back home. I don't think those are really odd.

Edited by NeonZ

You know how in Awakening's final chapter Robin's spouse would have unique dialogue for the Everyone Says Something bit?

I guess that isn't the case in this game, or at least not with Felicia.

Yes, i remember the unique dialogue of your family to you when you choose Chrom deliver the final blow on Grima. To bad we dont get it In Fates, that can be a plus since the game ignore marriage and child(s) in the story.