Conquest or Birthright? Which did you end up enjoying more?

semolinaro

52 members have voted

1. 1. Conquest or Birthright?

• Conquest
    • Birthright

Birthright. While Conquest largely has the more interesting map design, on average I enjoyed Birthright's characters and story far more.

I half expected a poll option to be "sod off, Thane". I'm a bit disappointed people don't expect me to whine on every thread.

Anyway, gameplay-wise I'll have to say Conquest, while Birthright had the least offensive story even though it works as a tranquilizer that could put a mammoth to sleep.

It's ok Thane, you're opinions are pretty justified. I've agreed with all of your posts.

• 1 year later...

I liked Conquest, I liked the idea of the story line, sure not perfect but I found it so much more interesting to play in my opinion and I found it more difficult and to the point.

I also enjoyed the characters much more, there very interesting and different from each other.

I recently played through birthright again and the beginning seemed to take forever before getting to an more interesting part of the story.

I liked playing both, but enjoyed Conquest's story more, even though Birthright's plot has less holes in it. You get closer to learning the truth in Conquest, the battle against Garon feels more important because of the Nohr siblings' reactions (and the final boss isn't just "Garon again but now as a dragon for some reason"), and I think the mandatory Death Of Your Little Sibling was done better (as you see Takumi's possession happening gradually over the course of the story, and the fact that if you've played Birthright first you know what it is and that you could stop it, but the game doesn't let you, makes it feel like more of a tragedy than Elise's sudden sacrifice).

Both casts are fine, though, and Birthright/Revelations letting you grind means you can play with the characters more freely, so there is that.

Conquest for me. I like Birthright, don't get me wrong, but Conquest has it beaten on most fronts as far as I'm concerned:

-Significantly better map design; enemy placements better thought out, better variation of map objectives, more challenge but in an extremely fair way (and in particular, doesn't have the Birthright midgame which is very undertuned on challenge).

-Significantly stronger cast. Birthright has a few characters I like, but some (Ryoma, Hinoka) are better on Conquest anyway, and a few others like Oboro and Azama just aren't enough. There are around 10 PCs on Conquest I really like: all four siblings, Beruka and Selena, Odin and Niles, Arthur and Charlotte. It might have my favourite FE cast.

-While both have their ups and downs, overall I'll say I prefer Conquest's plot more. It's more interesting; the neat thing about it to me is that it really makes me think about the morality of the PCs' actions and that's a fun feeling. While it relies on plot contrivance macguffins I fundamentally think it's interesting to see how someone could be on the "bad side" of the war but think they're doing it for good reasons (in their own minds at least), because hey this is very much a thing that happens in real life wars. Birthright has some plot stuff I like but too much of it puts me to sleep, like more or less anything when the Nohr siblings aren't on screen.

-Better music. A Dark Fall, Dark Wastes, Dusk Falls, Resolve (Dark) all among my favourite pieces of music in the game. Birthright has some good ones of its own and I really love how each path has its own distinct stylistic feel, but not as many A+ tracks for me.

Both routes are better than Revelation.