Conquest or Birthright? Which did you end up enjoying more?

semolinaro

52 members have voted

1. 1. Conquest or Birthright?

• Conquest
    • Birthright

I have now completed both campaigns. I had really high hopes for Conquest but the story was so abysmal that I wonder if I can pick it up again in the near future. Birthright had a much better story, but the gameplay and characters can't compare to that of Conquest. Since story is so important to me though, my vote goes to Birthright.

For those who have completed both paths, which did you prefer in the end?

Edited by semolinaro

I have now completed both campaigns. I had really high hopes for Conquest but the story was so abysmal that I wonder if I can pick it up again in the near future. Birthright had a much better story, but the gameplay and characters can't compare to that of Conquest. Since story is so important to me though, my vote goes to Birthright.

For those who have completed both paths, which did you prefer in the end?

I say Conquest had the better story.

Revelation is best though, but that's not an option.

Conquest.

Was the story absolute bollocks to the point where I need to put my Revelations rewrite on hold until I can attempt a Conquest rewrite? Yes it was.

Was the gameplay a combination of incredibly satisfying, tactically challenging and rewarding? Yes.

Did Birthright have just as many story problems as Conquest? No, but it still didn't do a good job of explaining certain elements, and the game seemed to forget there were other ways of beating missions.

Were the characters in Birthright as interesting? A few were, in their own subtle ways (there is a reason why Oboro has always ranked highly on popularity polls) but as a whole they pale in comparison to the Conquest characters.

Did I have to watch one of my favorite characters die in Birthright? Yes. Poor Flora, (sob)

Did the same thing happen in Conquest? No, I actually though they handled Ryoma's death really well.

So overall? Conquest. Maybe my opinion will change once I get my hands on Revelation next week, but as for now, Conquest wins.

Edited by warchiefwilliams

Funnily enough, I ended up enjoying Conquest more, but not because I liked the story more. I played Birthright first, and fighting the Hoshidans hit me in the feels. Also, I liked the constant simmering tension of Conquest. The retrospective stuff like

The fate of the Ice Tribe and Crimson

was really really interesting to me as well.

Both routes were frustrating in their own way (can't tank shit in Birthright Hard, can't hit shit in Conquest Normal), but I liked Conquest's map design more overall.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

I like both quite a bit, they both shine in different ways, and I thoroughly enjoyed both casts.

Edited by Jedi

Conquest by far!

The characters are much more interesting and I enjoyed the maps in Conquest more than the maps in Hoshido.

I also prefer the story a bit more from the Conquest angle.

Conquest was fantastic and really challenging. Birthright was also good, but Conquest was just everything I wanted from a Fire Emblem game.

Edited by Nobody

Conquest, mostly because of the characters, maps, objectives & difficulty. Birthright was fine but it got kinda boring when it was just "rout enemy rout enemy rout enemy."

& despite how dumb a few parts of the story were in Conquest, I enjoyed it more? it's like when you're watching a show or reading a book that's bad, but the badness makes it intriguing that you wanna see what happens next hahah

Edited by rinshiiya

Conquest, mostly because of the characters, maps, objectives & difficulty. Birthright was fine but it got kinda boring when it was just "rout enemy rout enemy rout enemy."

& despite how dumb a few parts of the story were in Conquest, I enjoyed it more? it's like when you're watching a show or reading a book that's bad, but the badness makes it intriguing that you wanna see what happens next hahah

Omg that's actually kinda true when you put it that way. I think I'm gonna give Conquest another go today, it was my first path I chose, and as a person who works on stories in her own free time, I wanna do a major plot analysis and try my hand at a rewrite. My biggest gripes with Conquest are how evil they are portrayed to be (they're actually portrayed in a more positive light in the Birthright campaign) and the constant guilt tripping of 'you should have chosen Hoshido'.

Conquest.

The map designs and objectives varied so much more, and that made it much funner. The amount of rout the enemy in Birthright got boring after a while.

Also I liked Conquest's story more. I actually liked the story overall? I mean of course it had its bad points, but I feel like those made it more interesting and impacting in some way, whereas for Birthright, its story seems a little more forgettable to me. But I prefer Hoshido cast a lot more haha.

Conquest: The Story are much better, more difficult, more dramatic, Love the Nohrians treat you more sibling than the Hoshidan :´v

Birthright: At the beginning are a little boring until you start to invade Nohr, here the cutscenes when Elise and Xander Dead made me so sad and I dropped some Tears T_T and the final is much better than the Nohr

Final conclusion: Conquest

Edited by TetsuyaSS

Seems like I am the only one here who enjoyed Birthright more.

Conquest plot relied way too much on silly mcguffins and turned the main character into a Mary Sue who is always in the right. Even when invading innocent nations and causing the deaths of thousands. Anyone who doesn't love them unconditionally is clearly a monster who deserves only hatred.

That being said, the gameplay of Conquest is fantastic. I really enjoyed myself and loved the great amount of variety and difficulty it offered. If Conquest's gameplay and Birthright's story+ characters were merged it would possibly be my favourite FE game.

Now for Birthright, okay the story is nothing fantastic. It's basically standart FE, with it's tried and tested tropes, no major surprises to be offered here. That being said it is still quite enjoyable, in a nostalgic way. And it also compares very favourably to Conquest.

I loved Birthrights characters a lot more than Conquest's. This is not to say I hated Conquest's characters, it's just that the Hoshidans are surprisingly endearing and have plenty of great supports among them. I can honestly say that I loved most of the Birthright cast, while I was a lot more indifferent to Conquest's. I honestly feel like many people don't give the Birthright cast a chance, and immediately prejudge them without actually looking deeper. You know. The same grace they grant to the Conquest cast.

Anyway, gameplay: not as brilliant as Conquest by far, but still a very enjoyable experience. It could have used more variety, but in the end, I ended up really appreciating it.

So, as I care more about the whole package, I enjoyed Birthright more. It has flaws, but they are flaws I can forgive and still like the game for. Conquest's plot made me want to skip all cutscenes after chapter 16. (didn't do it, but come on.)

Conquest. Even if the plot is stupid, everything else is great. The characters, the music, the gameplay.

The sequence where

You storm through Hoshido and fight all the royal siblings back to back is absolutely amazing. I just wish the story could have been told better but it was still great nonetheless.

Conquest is my favorite FE gameplaywise. Unfortunately the story is basically begging me to hate it.

The potential... it pains me. I have a hard time imagining picking it up again because of this, and it's a damn shame because character and gameplay wise it's superior, but having to watch Mary Sue avatar and airhead Azura lead a borderline genocidal conquering of an innocent nation just so Garon can sit on a magical chair is... hard to do a second time.

If Conquest had better motivation, it would be the perfect FE game for me. As it stands I just.... Can't understand why they Corrin or anyone would think this is the best way to get peace. Besides that though, Conquest is much better to me.

Story aside, as I didn't really enjoy either, I fell in love with Conquest's gameplay. After playing it, Birthright kind of struck me as lackluster and boring. I still really enjoyed Birthright and it's a great game with some awesome characters, but Conquest reminded me of the first games I played as a kid.

I much prefer Birthright. I like the characters more, I prefer the maps more (IMO, sooo many of the maps in Conquest are just too tedious to be fun. Same with revelations.), I prefer the story and I like the soundtrack more. Conquest is a good game, but I believe Birthright is better.

I half expected a poll option to be "sod off, Thane". I'm a bit disappointed people don't expect me to whine on every thread.

Anyway, gameplay-wise I'll have to say Conquest, while Birthright had the least offensive story even though it works as a tranquilizer that could put a mammoth to sleep.

I half expected a poll option to be "sod off, Thane". I'm a bit disappointed people don't expect me to whine on every thread.

Anyway, gameplay-wise I'll have to say Conquest, while Birthright had the least offensive story even though it works as a tranquilizer that could put a mammoth to sleep.

Actually I kinda think we all expect that we'll see you whine.

I'm pretty sure we're just used to it by now.

Actually I kinda think we all expect that we'll see you whine.

I'm pretty sure we're just used to it by now.

Aw, shucks! You gave me attention! Now I can leave you all alone for tonight.

...But I'll be back tomorrow.

Aw, shucks! You gave me attention! Now I can leave you all alone for tonight.

...But I'll be back tomorrow.

I think we'd all be surprised if you WEREN'T back both today AND tomorrow.