Fates Challenge Thread

Nintales

Hello, people who already own Fates, whether it's the Japanese or the North American Version.

Bored to do the game like that?

Then add a plethora of challenges to make sure you can do the game over and over and over again.

These challenges are meant to be done in Hard Mode or Lunatic Mode. Normal Mode is for scrubs. Every unit in the early 5 chapters are allowed else it would probably be impossible.

Kamui's Harem : Complete the game by only using characters of opposite gender.

We have your back : Complete the game by only using retainers. If you're doing Birthright, that means that you can only use Kamui, Jakob/Felicia, Gunther, Kaze, Hana, Tsubaki, Oboro, Hinata, Saizo, Kagero, Setsuna, Azama, Orochi and Reina (thanks Quintessence and Elie). If you're doing Conquest, that means you can only use Kamui, Jakob/Felicia, Gunther, Kaze, Effie, Arthur, Zero, Odin, Selena, Beruka, Pieri, Lazward and Flora. If you're doing Revelations, that's obviously all of them.

Only the leaders can fight : Complete the game by only using the royal family + tribe leaders. If you're doing Birthright, that means you can only use Kamui, Felicia, Rinkah, Sakura, Azura, Hinoka, Hayato, Takumi, Kaden, Shura and Ryoma. If you're doing Conquest, that means you can only use Kamui, Felicia, Azura, Elise, Camilla, Leo, Keaton, Xander, and Flora.

This challenge is probably one of the hardest and also probably not possible on Conquest Lunatic.

No horses allowed : Complete the game by only using units who are foot units on their base class. That means you cannot reclass the units you want to use but are mounted to use them. That also means that on Conquest you're pretty screwed since all the Royals have a mount.

Only-Horses club : Complete the game by only using units who are mounted on their base class. Kamui has to be reclassed to a mounted class whenever it is possible. Same rules than the other. Meaning that now it's on Birthright you'll be annoyed since most units do not begin mounted.

I can't master anything : Complete the game while not using any weapon who are over E rank. Don't worry though, because the broken legendary weapons are still at E rank.

I can't use this weapon, it's too complex : Complete the game without using any weapon at E rank. That means that characters like Rinka and Sakura are pretty screwed since they start at E rank. And yes, that means you can't use Kamui until you get the dragonstone. Fun, isn't it? (you're allowed to use the Bronze Sword against Xander at Chapter 1, but can't use any other sword until you get your hands on an Arms Scroll)

It's only me and my army : Complete the game while only using Kamui and Generics. As I can't get my hands into the game yet, I don't know how the capture mechanic works, but if it's how I think, then you can go for Skirmishes to get Generics. You can't do the challenge on Conquest unless you want to have almost no units for the whole early game. You're allowed to use regular units until you get your full party of generics.

There can be only one : Each time you get a group of units in a chapter, attribute a number to each unit and roll a dice (x = number of units you get). You can only use the unit from this group that is selected by the dice. There is no problem in rolling the dice at chapter 4 in Conquest, at chapter 5 on Hoshido or Conquest and at chapter 6 in all routes. That means that some massive recruitements like Birthright's chapter 7 and chapter 8 can roll pretty bad. Though you're almost guaranteed to get Kaze and Azura in Conquest, and at chapter 5 on Birthright you get either Sakura or Azura so it's pretty fair.

I think that's all!

Add more challenges if you want, and have fun trying! (btw I'm prolly gonna try them all on Lunatic once I can get my hands on the game)

Edited by Nintales

Orochi and Yukimura are mikoto's retainers, fyi

Wrong Elie. Corrin x Kaze A Support states that Orochi and Reina are Mikoto's retainers. I think of Yukimura as a Birthright Iago. Also, I would add Kaze as Corrin's retainer if you aim for their A Rank Support.

Edit: also nintales, no you're the boring one trying to come up with challenges :P:

Edited by Quintessence

Wrong Elie. Corrin x Kaze A Support states that Orochi and Reina are Mikoto's retainers. I think of Yukimura as a Birthright Iago. Also, I would add Kaze as Corrin's retainer if you aim for their A Rank Support.

Edit: also nintales, no you're the boring one trying to come up with challenges :P:

ahh damnit, you got me there.

You've absorbed my quintessence....

Well I do whatever I can to fight against Boredom. Everything is good as long as it provides a fun challenge that also makes a hard game considerably harder. :wub:

Well I do whatever I can to fight against Boredom. Everything is good as long as it provides a fun challenge that also makes a hard game considerably harder. :wub:

Cool, I also have my 'challenges', draft like tho. without low turn counts, that is

Correct - Orochi and Reina were Mikoto's Retainers, Kaze becomes Corrin's Retainer through their Support and Yukimura is actually the Hoshido's Tactician.

Only the leaders can fight : Complete the game by only using the royal family + tribe leaders If you're doing Birthright, that means you can only use Kamui, Felicia, Rinkah, Sakura, Azura, Hinoka, Hayato, Takumi, Kaden, Shura and Ryoma. If you're doing Conquest, that means you can only use Kamui, Felicia, Azura, Elise, Camilla, Leo, Keaton, Xander, and Flora.

This challenge is probably one of the hardest and also probably not possible on Conquest Lunatic.

And for this, I wouldn't consider this a challenge, more of a speed run since some of the Royals can pretty much solo most of the maps (especially in birthright). Unless you play on higher difficulty.

Edited by ZodiacSoldier

Correct - Orochi and Reina were Mikoto's Retainers, Kaze becomes Corrin's Retainer through their Support and Yukimura is actually the Hoshido's Tactician.

Only the leaders can fight : Complete the game by only using the royal family + tribe leaders If you're doing Birthright, that means you can only use Kamui, Felicia, Rinkah, Sakura, Azura, Hinoka, Hayato, Takumi, Kaden, Shura and Ryoma. If you're doing Conquest, that means you can only use Kamui, Felicia, Azura, Elise, Camilla, Leo, Keaton, Xander, and Flora.

And for this, I wouldn't consider this a challenge, more of a speed run since some of the Royals can pretty much solo most of the maps (especially in birthright). Unless you play on higher difficulty.

Well, the thing is that on Hard/Lunatic Conquest, you're still off with Kamui/Felicia/Azura/Elise until chapter 10. But yeah, since the royals are quite OP, this is pretty much bound to be on Lunatic for Birthright.

Some other ideas:

Lowest Level Only - You can only deploy characters who currently have the lowest (effective) level, up to the deployment limit, i.e. if you have 12 unit slots for a fight you must use your 12 lowest-levelled characters. Forced characters can only be used if they are not higher-levelled than others who are currently deployed, i.e. no letting Corrin getting overlevelled to circumvent the challenge. Nobody can die, if playing on Classic, and everyone must be recruited. (Capture should probably be ignored.)

Basically forces you to use everyone and be a bit lower-levelled than normal. From what I've read this would be much harder on Revelation than the other routes, due to having more PCs. I've done this with other FEs before and it's a lot of fun.

One Gender Run - I guess this was already done with the harem option, except that I'd keep Corrin the same gender as the characters you're using, myself. (Which would leave you bereft of a butler/maid at first, but oh well.) Certain genders/routes may have to bend the rules a bit early but I can't imagine it would be long, there's no case here like FE7 female-only where your only female unit is an archer for a bit...

One Weapon Type Run - Obvious. Reclassing is fine, but only one weapon type can be used, as defined by weaponry which shares an Exp gauge (so swords and katanas are the same, but swords and tomes are not). Learn to loathe Breaker skills, and worship the Dual Club/etc.!

0% Growths Run - Never done one myself due to no hacking, but I've always enjoyed these at a distance. Not sure how practical they would be on Fates since you don't get many strong lategame PCs compared to most FEs.

Bronze Age - Generic E rank weapons and staves only. (So no legendaries.) Largely a way of lowering your damage. You can relax the rule on staves/rods if you want.

Solo - Beat the game with one unit deployed. Either Corrin, or someone else if you prefer. (Though you'll need to keep Corrin out of the way in that case, or just bend the rules of the solo and make it a paired up duo.) Not sure how practical this is in Fates.

Some other ideas:

Lowest Level Only - You can only deploy characters who currently have the lowest (effective) level, up to the deployment limit, i.e. if you have 12 unit slots for a fight you must use your 12 lowest-levelled characters. Forced characters can only be used if they are not higher-levelled than others who are currently deployed, i.e. no letting Corrin getting overlevelled to circumvent the challenge. Nobody can die, if playing on Classic, and everyone must be recruited. (Capture should probably be ignored.)

Basically forces you to use everyone and be a bit lower-levelled than normal. From what I've read this would be much harder on Revelation than the other routes, due to having more PCs. I've done this with other FEs before and it's a lot of fun.

One Gender Run - I guess this was already done with the harem option, except that I'd keep Corrin the same gender as the characters you're using, myself. (Which would leave you bereft of a butler/maid at first, but oh well.) Certain genders/routes may have to bend the rules a bit early but I can't imagine it would be long, there's no case here like FE7 female-only where your only female unit is an archer for a bit...

One Weapon Type Run - Obvious. Reclassing is fine, but only one weapon type can be used, as defined by weaponry which shares an Exp gauge (so swords and katanas are the same, but swords and tomes are not). Learn to loathe Breaker skills, and worship the Dual Club/etc.!

0% Growths Run - Never done one myself due to no hacking, but I've always enjoyed these at a distance. Not sure how practical they would be on Fates since you don't get many strong lategame PCs compared to most FEs.

Bronze Age - Generic E rank weapons and staves only. (So no legendaries.) Largely a way of lowering your damage. You can relax the rule on staves/rods if you want.

Solo - Beat the game with one unit deployed. Either Corrin, or someone else if you prefer. (Though you'll need to keep Corrin out of the way in that case, or just bend the rules of the solo and make it a paired up duo.) Not sure how practical this is in Fates.

You know, Lowest Level does sound like a lot of fun. Heck, I might even try it on my Birthright Hard run. I'm assuming placing a limit on how many challenges you participate in could make things even more, well, challenging! Felicia and Jakob (At least for their first 20 Levels) should probably count as Unprompted, just to make keep things in line with their EXP intake.

By the way, don't hesitate to post whatever feedback about the playthroughs. It'd be fun to see how people manage to do Conquest's Chapter 10 with half the amount of units.

Something I've seen done already: Clearing Birthright Lunatic, but killing all Birthright-exclusive characters in their recruitable maps... (but not capturable units) This honestly seemed like a challenge, and from Ch. 23 things got really difficult... In the stream I was following she ended up relaxing certain conditions.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

I'm a bit skeptical as to whether the analogous challenge can be done with Conquest Lunatic though; can you beat chapter 10 with 5 characters? (MU, Jakob/Felicia, Silas, Azura, Mozu)?

EDIT: Then again now I think of it if the only condition is that recruitable characters fall in the respective chapters they come in, maybe we can have Camilla, Beruka and Selena commit suicide as meat shields... But then the other chapters are kinda sigh....

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

I'm a bit skeptical as to whether the analogous challenge can be done with Conquest Lunatic though; can you beat chapter 10 with 5 characters? (MU, Jakob/Felicia, Silas, Azura, Mozu)?

EDIT: Then again now I think of it if the only condition is that recruitable characters fall in the respective chapters they come in, maybe we can have Camilla, Beruka and Selena commit suicide as meat shields... But then the other chapters are kinda sigh....

This seems actually possible due to farming Azura in Chapter 5 so she has uber stats and literally wrecks the map.

But yeah, cheesing aside, it's probably really difficult there.

• 4 months later...

A challenge I thought about was one where you only use units who have a positive modifier in a stat of your choosing.

My idea, for example, say you choose Strength as your stat, then you can use any units with a positive strength modifier (has to be above 0), and you can use Corrin with Strength as their asset and anything as their flaw as long as it doesn't decrease the Strength modifier. You would also be able to use Child Units, so long as both parents were found on the list of units with a positive modifier in that stat.

For reference, the modifiers can be found on this page under "Maximum Stats": http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/

Might be impossible for a Lunatic run of Conquest, as you won't have all the necessary units to beat it, but could be fun to try it out on Hard Mode.

• 1 year later...

The early bird catches the worm - You only can use the first 10 Units + Corrin you get. Probably a little... meh

The best comes last - You only can use the last 10 Units You get. For example Fates: Chapter 7 1st Felicia, 2nd/3rd Silas/Elise, 4th/5th Effie/Arthur, 6th/7th Odin Niles, 8th Azura, 9th Nyx, 10th Camilla, Beruka and Selena (Unit No 10, 11 and 12)

Then You put Felicia and Silas or Elise aside and use your new 10 units. (That Example was for Conquest)