Is anyone else still angry over FE 12 not getting localized?

New Mystery is the reason I joined SF, after having played Shadow Dragon to death and awaiting its sequel. Playing the translation was great, but I don't have a strong enough computer for emulation (or games in general) and thus, was only able to tolerate one play through, even if it came out to be my fav game.

Anyway, I used to be disappointed about the game's lack of localisation...until I actually imported the game, as well as reading the translation of the script here on the site. I'm just glad I didn't grow up with the original game because otherwise I would utterly detest this remake and it's treatment of Marth, how it frames him as being merely a weak and vulnerable figurehead while the real hero was some random dude who is better then everyone else in the army.

And holy shit, this. This SO much.

Anger ? Why should I be ? Nice people were nice enough to translate the game for us.
Too bad for IS, most of the gratitude will go to the translation team.

Same for Sword of Seals. (No I won't call it Binding Blade. :p)

^Yet we got Black and White 2 without regards to it being on the DS instead of on the 3DS. If Shadow Dragon had done better, most likely we would've gotten Mystery of the Emblem.

Imo, FE was declining in its popularity in NA since Shadow Dragon, so I can't blame IntelSys.

I agree with this. Shadow Dragon pretty much burned the bridge for any possibility of remakes. The odds of FE4/5 getting remade were already low, and Shadow Dragon probably didn't make IS feel any more confident in remakes. I kind of feel like FE6 is still possible, if for nothing else, Smash continues to raise Roy awareness. But I still think it's unlikely.

Umm, it sold over half a million- and this is with suspiciously low European sales data. SD's sales have nothing to do with NME not being localized. It was a niche game released at the end of a console's lifetime; why bother with it?

I'm really not sure why the narrative among certain people is that SD was a failure when no, it wasn't- last time I checked, it did better than the Radiant Duelogy. Those games bombed hard, causing IS to put out SD as a buffer/cash-in. Bringing FE back to console was what nearly screwed over the series- not remaking the first game.

Nope. Much as I like FE12 and its introduction of lunatic difficulty, I think the series is actually fortunate that it wasn't released in the US. The game itself would've seemed much like Shadow Dragon to the general audience and the avatar character was not important to the story so to people that liked how the Avatar was handled in Awakening (or more likely, Fates), it wouldn't really mean anything.

If FE12 had "bombed" like Shadow Dragon "did" (and let's face it, it would've because there was no waifu nonsense), IS may have given up on the series outside of Japan and eventually overall.

As much as I hate Awakening and Fates because every aspect besides the gameplay in those games are just dumb, from a business perspective, the series needed the Visual Novel/Waifu garbage that Awakening and fates brought to appeal to others and bring more sales. Hey, it worked for shit on Steam.

EDIT: Remakes aren't necessarily dead, the problem with Shadow Dragon was that it removed ACTUAL good features that added strategic value like Rescue and the reclass system wasn't very balanced (I'm looking at you Archers and Mercenaries).

It's like if Metroid Zero Mission had removed the ability to hold on to ledges completely, limited aiming to just 4 directions and failed to include a map system to get the "feel" of the old game.

Let's add another example, how about they remake Binding Blade and keep just about every aspect of Fates and introduce a small campaign involving the FE7 parents so you can quickly pair them up and affect the growths of children of FE6 (characters such as Roy, Fir, Lilina, Wolt, etc). 10 bucks says a ton of doods will pre-order the game with their primary reason to marry Lilina and rub her face.

Whoa boy.

SD was a training ground for newer members of the dev team- Nintendo had just reshuffled IS, after all.

And once again, we have the woefully incorrect narrative that Shadow Dragon bombed- news flash, it didn't. The reason NME wasn't localized was because it was the end of the DS's lifecycle and the game was niche.

And you know why Awakening succeeded? Marketing, word of mouth, and casual mode; the average consumer doesn't give two figs about the waifu crap. Virtually any recent game in the series would've been met with similiar results if it had casual mode and Nintendo bothered to advertise it. The series doesn't need it; it's just that the newer members of IS seem to be pervs.

In general, this post is so pessimistic it hurts. Higuchi (at least as of Awakening) didn't like the new art direction, for instance. And half the team didn't want skinship at all, while the other half wanted something even worse than what Japan got- Nintendo was forced to step in and make the team compromise. And considering the localization removed it anyway and all official NOJ videos containing it were taken down soon after, I think there's (at the very least) been some very stern words exchanged between Nintendo and IS.

And a bit of personal opinion: SD still has a lot of strategic value. Sure, it didn't have rescue; besides that, what core gameplay features from previous games were missing? It's minimalistic, sure, but I don't feel like that's a bad thing. Reclassing is a bit rough around the edges, but it allows units to diversify and be more useful than before- I fail to see how that isn't adding strategic value when you can fundamentally change a unit's role at the beginning of every map. And as for your Metroid example- different strokes for different folks. I feel like the fact that the core FE gameplay remained relatively unchanged for twelve games in a row speaks to itself how well it holds up.

Edited by The DanMan

Umm, it sold over half a million- and this is with suspiciously low European sales data. SD's sales have nothing to do with NME not being localized. It was a niche game released at the end of a console's lifetime; why bother with it?

I'm really not sure why the narrative among certain people is that SD was a failure when no, it wasn't- last time I checked, it did better than the Radiant Duelogy. Those games bombed hard, causing IS to put out SD as a buffer/cash-in. Bringing FE back to console was what nearly screwed over the series- not remaking the first game.

Whoa boy.

SD was a training ground for newer members of the dev team- Nintendo had just reshuffled IS, after all.

And once again, we have the woefully incorrect narrative that Shadow Dragon bombed- news flash, it didn't. The reason NME wasn't localized was because it was the end of the DS's lifecycle and the game was niche.

And you know why Awakening succeeded? Marketing, word of mouth, and casual mode; the average consumer doesn't give two figs about the waifu crap. Virtually any recent game in the series would've been met with similiar results if it had casual mode and Nintendo bothered to advertise it. The series doesn't need it; it's just that the newer members of IS seem to be pervs.

In general, this post is so pessimistic it hurts. Higuchi (at least as of Awakening) didn't like the new art direction, for instance. And half the team didn't want skinship at all, while the other half wanted something even worse than what Japan got- Nintendo was forced to step in and make the team compromise. And considering the localization removed it anyway and all official NOJ videos containing it were taken down soon after, I think there's (at the very least) been some very stern words exchanged between Nintendo and IS.

And a bit of personal opinion: SD still has a lot of strategic value. Sure, it didn't have rescue; besides that, what core gameplay features from previous games were missing? It's minimalistic, sure, but I don't feel like that's a bad thing. Reclassing is a bit rough around the edges, but it allows units to diversify and be more useful than before- I fail to see how that isn't adding strategic value when you can fundamentally change a unit's role at the beginning of every map. And as for your Metroid example- different strokes for different folks. I feel like the fact that the core FE gameplay remained relatively unchanged for twelve games in a row speaks to itself how well it holds up.

Don't do this.

Don't do this.

Seriously, how many people really care about it? Yes, there are a select few, but that's it; a select few. The waifu-obsessed Etika types and shipping-obsessed tumblrinas are a distinct minority. Based on personal experience, the vast majority just don't seem to care strongly on the matter.

Also, we've got members of the dev team comparing Camilla to a cow in an interview and the original skinship concept; I think it's safe to say that a section of IS, at the very least, wanted every last yen they could get out of the game.

Seriously, how many people really care about it? Yes, there are a select few, but that's it; a select few. The waifu-obsessed Etika types and shipping-obsessed tumblrinas are a distinct minority. Based on personal experience, the vast majority just don't seem to care strongly on the matter.

Also, we've got members of the dev team comparing Camilla to a cow in an interview and the original skinship concept; I think it's safe to say that a section of IS, at the very least, wanted every last yen they could get out of the game.

Not trying to mini-mod here, but making implications about how "some of the newer IS fans are pervs" is something that's generally frowned upon and makes the newer fans feel unwelcome, and makes the fandom as a whole look bad.

It's not about how true or false it is, it's about being considerate to the rest of the fans.

Not trying to mini-mod here, but making implications about how "some of the newer IS fans are pervs" is something that's generally frowned upon and makes the newer fans feel unwelcome, and makes the fandom as a whole look bad.

It's not about how true or false it is, it's about being considerate to the rest of the fans.

If I see somebody talking about "penetrating the tight cunt" of a video game character on stream, yeah I'm going to call them pervs.

If they act like shipping-obsessed fangirls, than they're probably shipping obsessed fangirls.

I'm not trying to offed anybody who likes the newer games; I'm talking about those who view shipping and fanservice as major reasons to buy the game- who are quite few in number, overall.

But that's... not what he said. He said that the newer members of IS seem to be pervs, and that most people like that are a minority. I don't see anything wrong with that, unless we're getting offended on behalf of IS staff.

But that's... not what he said. He said that the newer members of IS seem to be pervs, and that most people like that are a minority. I don't see anything wrong with that, unless we're getting offended on behalf of IS staff.

Oh. OH.

Yeah, I completely misread that. My mistake.

In general, this post is so pessimistic it hurts.

It is. The reaction the general populous had to the rumors of skinship being removed served more as a reason to think the series' popularity is growing because of the more unnecessary aspects of the newer games (self-insert, marriage, children tossed and anything that's making the series look more and more like a Visual Novel).

I enjoyed SD and New Mystery and liked the reclass in those games just fine and do see strategic value in it.

Casual mode is indeed helpful to bringing newcomers in and is something I welcome, even though I'd never use it myself. Can't speak much regarding marketing and such, I don't recall much of that.

Edited by Sirius

It is. The reaction the general populous had to the rumors of skinship being removed served more as a reason to think the series' popularity is growing because of the more unnecessary aspects of the newer games (self-insert, marriage, children tossed and anything that's making the series look more and more like a Visual Novel).

Dude, it's the internet. Whoever complains the loudest is heard; we're a fringe group, they're a fringe group. The silent majority doesn't give a damn one way or another. A year ago, you could say the "general populace" was against skinship because those people were complaining the most. Besides, the vast majority of people I saw complaining about it's removal were doing moreso on principle of "content alteration/removal" than anything to do with the actual feature.

The majority of players don't care strongly one way or another; the people on this forum generally do.

I really doubt that we will ever have an oficial translated Mystery of the Emblem, the best that you can do is put the translated rom in something like an R4 and play it in your DS...

This doesn't seem to work for me >_> Every game is running on it, but not FE. Might have something to do with the suspend games? Can't find help anywhere on the interwebs...

I am personally upset about it as we only got Shadow Dragon and not the rest of Marth`s story the US deserves the rest of Marth`s story. We also should have gotten Fuuin no Tsurugi so many prequels plots left with holes due to sequels not getting released in the US. But luckily we have emulators and such and fan translators if you want to play the stuff in english. Ah and Ebay etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I really like this game and I wish it were localized. It's not surprising it wasn't though because of how Shadow Dragon did, but translating and putting it on the Virtual Console would be cool.

Angry and disappointed. After a decade in the west, the Tellius saga is STILL the only complete saga available in English.

I guess Magvel is technically complete, since we got 100% of Sacred Stones.

Yeah, I really like this game and I wish it were localized. It's not surprising it wasn't though because of how Shadow Dragon did, but translating and putting it on the Virtual Console would be cool.

...This again?

Shadow Dragon has sold over half a million, and overall has done better commercially than most games in the series. If anything, the Radiant Duelogy's near-failure commercially is what brought the game into existence.

Tl;DR I'm kinda tired of this factually incorrect assumption.

I guess Magvel is technically complete, since we got 100% of Sacred Stones.

It's not the same with Sacred Stones. All the other games connected and expanded their story beyond just 1 game. I actually want a direct sequel/prequel to Sacred Stones. That would be great.

...This again?

Shadow Dragon has sold over half a million, and overall has done better commercially than most games in the series. If anything, the Radiant Duelogy's near-failure commercially is what brought the game into existence.

Tl;DR I'm kinda tired of this factually incorrect assumption.

Theres also one thing that many people missed too. New Mystery's MAIN reason of no localization is piracy