Dark Souls III

Tryhard

Older thread: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54695

There's been some more information out recently as a result of people being able to get their hands on some playable PS4 builds for a few hours. Some of it is very interesting (in reference to characters/story, not mechanics) but for the sake of spoilers please try to tag them. While I don't care so much about spoilers others will.

If you weren't aware, though, there is a Luck stat in this game like Demon's Souls. It supposedly increases item discovery (drops, as usual), poison and bleed capabilities and curse resistances. And I'm the type of person that will play a Luck/Dexterity build to start just to have all that sweet loot. And it should work decently well with poison/bleed weapons too, because bleed is back to the Dark Souls 1 style IIRC. Maybe there will even be a Blueblood Sword like in Demon's Souls.

I played for a little bit with the Network Test previously but I am quite excited for the game, I'll likely be getting it for PC, and I'm sure at least some others are here too.

Being released for Xbox One, PS4 and PC in Japan on March 24th and everywhere else April 12th.

Edited by Tryhard

Im pretty excited for it. I started with Dark Souls II, and only recently found out that Dark Souls II is considered the worst of them all due to its level designs, enemy numbers, bad bosses, etc. Havent played Dark Souls yet since I havent been able to find a physical copy of it, and dont like digital. I can't wait for III though. I like the way the Knight is looking so far stat wise, and it looks like parrying is going to be more useful than it was in II. From what you saw in the network test how does the game look?

Edited by Tolvir

Dark Souls II isn't bad, in fact it's a very good game, but it is generally considered to be the "weakest" compared to the others. The two major strikes against it I can't defend is that both the world/level and enemy design aren't particularly good. There are points I can point to in the other games that fall flat in these areas as well (Lost Izalith pls) but Dark Souls II unfortunately does this the most. Still fun and I don't know why people give it such a hard time, they exaggerate.

I will say from the little I played that this game is more similar to Dark Souls 1 (and I've seen quite a few references to Demon's Souls, which I have also been replaying recently along with Bloodborne). Certain move-sets of weapons are lifted straight out of Dark Souls 1. Parrying is like Dark Souls 1, but you still need a grasp on how to do it to be able to pull it off consistently. Usually there's an enemy you can practice on until you can do it fairly well. I feel as though parrying was most effective in Bloodborne, the "other" Souls-like game, because you didn't have a shield and blocking tends to be quite effective especially if new. My network test experience was unfortunately pretty short and I couldn't play as much as I wanted to, but I played through the PvE part of one of the early areas and it seemed like... more of what I wanted. If it ain't broke... it is rather hard to tell just from me playing one area what the major differences are, though.

The Knight looks like a very nice choice and may actually be one of the more optimized starts (though starting out I'm not sure anyone will care about that) - seems to just offer great stats for pure melee builds that could still build into partly faith or intelligence. Personally like I said I was probably going to go for high luck (because I'm intrigued about it) and dexterity, so probably starting as a Thief.

Here's a really nice video of all the starting classes and their weapons movesets:

I think that it is kind of weird that Assassin seems to be a caster hybrid that starts with a Fall Control spell. And I have no idea why it's called Spook.

Edited by Tryhard

Dark Souls II isn't bad, in fact it's a very good game, but it is generally considered to be the "weakest" compared to the others. The two major strikes against it I can't defend is that both the world/level and enemy design aren't particularly good. There are points I can point to in the other games that fall flat in these areas as well (Lost Izalith pls) but Dark Souls II unfortunately does this the most. Still fun and I don't know why people give it such a hard time, they exaggerate.

I will say from the little I played that this game is more similar to Dark Souls 1 (and I've seen quite a few references to Demon's Souls, which I have also been replaying recently along with Bloodborne). Certain move-sets of weapons are lifted straight out of Dark Souls 1. Parrying is like Dark Souls 1, but you still need a grasp on how to do it to be able to pull it off consistently. Usually there's an enemy you can practice on until you can do it fairly well. I feel as though parrying was most effective in Bloodborne, the "other" Souls-like game, because you didn't have a shield and blocking tends to be quite effective especially if new. My network test experience was unfortunately pretty short and I couldn't play as much as I wanted to, but I played through the PvE part of one of the early areas and it seemed like... more of what I wanted. If it ain't broke... it is rather hard to tell just from me playing one area what the major differences are, though.

The Knight looks like a very nice choice and may actually be one of the more optimized starts (though starting out I'm not sure anyone will care about that) - seems to just offer great stats for pure melee builds that could still build into partly faith or intelligence. Personally like I said I was probably going to go for high luck (because I'm intrigued about it) and dexterity, so probably starting as a Thief.

Here's a really nice video of all the starting class and their weapons movesets:

I think that it is kind of weird that Assassin seems to be a caster hybrid that starts with a Fall Control spell. And I have no idea why it's called Spook.

I really enjoyed Dark Souls II dont get me wrong, I just read that its considered the worst of the souls games, which overall I take these types of things with a grain of salt. I personally found it to be a really fun game, and liked quite a few of the "zones" if you will. Though I hate Brightcove and Iron Keep with a passion. Such a long run to get to the damn bosses in those zones. Overall though I found it really fun, im just not that great at it either. I have about 340 deaths, 200 being from Fume Knight alone, which made me hate that boss and will not touch him with a ten foot pole in NG+.

Starting with a fall control spell sounds nice, should help with early exploration. I am trying to figure out what they are doing with death penalty, I know it only takes 20% hit points and then doesn't lower any further past that, but do you still lose souls upon death or is that gone?

Thank you for the video btw.

EDIT: Characters seem a lot slower in this one with dodging and movement, but attacks look faster. Looks like it will take a little getting used to.

Edited by Tolvir

Yeah, I think you lose 20-30% of your HP immediately on death. Burning an 'Ember' will allow you to return to full HP, like a Human Effigy in 2 OR you can kill a boss which returns you to 'Ember' status from what I've seen. This is like in Demon's Souls, but in that game was even more harsh because it was a straight 50% (half health) decrease... 'soul form' in that game sucked. I imagine that like you said you would still lose all your souls on a successive death without retrieving your bloodstain, I believe that's the same as far as I know.

The combat seems to be more weighted like in Dark Souls 1. If you can have a shot of Dark Souls 1 before it releases then I would try to if you want to get used to it since 3 does feel different than Dark Souls 2.

Edited by Tryhard

Yeah, I think you lose 20-30% of your HP immediately on death. Burning an 'Ember' will allow you to return to full HP, like a Human Effigy in 2 OR you can kill a boss which returns you to 'Ember' status from what I've seen. This is like in Demon's Souls, but in that game was even more harsh because it was a straight 50% (half health) decrease... 'soul form' in that game sucked. I imagine that like you said you would still lose all your souls on a successive death without retrieving your bloodstain, I believe that's the same as far as I know.

The combat seems to be more weighted like in Dark Souls 1. If you can have a shot of Dark Souls 1 before it releases then I would try to if you want to get used to it since 3 does feel different than Dark Souls 2.

Well I like the change that it restores you when you defeat a boss. Losing souls use to frustrate me until I figured out that it is so easy to farm souls that it ultimately didn't matter. I think Dark Souls 1 is on Steam so I might check that out. I also want to try out Bloodborne at some point, just havent gotten around to that one yet.

Edited by Tolvir

Yeah, DS1 is on Steam. Bloodborne is excellent too, though it is definitely different from the other Souls games.

I can't really remember what I did for Fume Knight last time I fought him, but I think I had my pure mage just spell spam him... sorceries/hexes especially is probably the easiest way to PvE in the Souls games and honestly pretty cheesy. They always include magic, but it always seems like they intend the games for a melee-based character because ranged damage can trivialize parts of the games. Here's hoping bows are a little more effective then they have been previously, though, because while it was possible to do bow-only runs they were dwarfed by the damage sorceries or miracles could do.

I think it's kind of crazy how I went back to play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and there's still a lot of phantoms. Maybe because 3 is coming out but the online community has been very active still.

Gotta say though, I am digging the Pyromancer armour shown in DS3. Pyromancer was my first character when I played Dark Souls 1 first, I suppose I might have a soft spot and may choose them over Thief.

Edited by Tryhard

All the hype and despair of the fan that I am, knowing I just can't play what would be the final master piece of the Souls series.

All the hype and despair of the fan that I am, knowing I just can't play what would be the final master piece of the Souls series.

well III is the final Dark Souls game, but its not the final "souls" game since Bloodborne is counted in that, and I remember reading that Miyazaki said that he wants to go into other genres much like bloodborne did. One genre he particularly mentioned was the Sci-Fi genre, which could be extremely interesting having a sci-fi game done in similar fashion to the other souls games. But yes this is the final Dark Souls game, just not the final "souls" game.

Yeah, DS1 is on Steam. Bloodborne is excellent too, though it is definitely different from the other Souls games.

I can't really remember what I did for Fume Knight last time I fought him, but I think I had my pure mage just spell spam him... sorceries/hexes especially is probably the easiest way to PvE in the Souls games and honestly pretty cheesy. They always include magic, but it always seems like they intend the games for a melee-based character because ranged damage can trivialize parts of the games. Here's hoping bows are a little more effective then they have been previously, though, because while it was possible to do bow-only runs they were dwarfed by the damage sorceries or miracles could do.

I think it's kind of crazy how I went back to play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and there's still a lot of phantoms. Maybe because 3 is coming out but the online community has been very active still.

Gotta say though, I am digging the Pyromancer armour shown in DS3. Pyromancer was my first character when I played Dark Souls 1 first, I suppose I might have a soft spot and may choose them over Thief.

Pyromancer's armor does look great, overall the armor shown so far looks really good. Way better than II's starter sets, those looked pretty bad imo. its all about the Fashion Souls you know.

I go with a pretty straightforward sword and board build, but had to deviate from that for Fume Knight since shields are not effective against him. Went in there with the Heide Spear +10 with a strength/faith build, which resulted in some good damage, but its always when he got to the flaming sword phase that I had problems. Luckily someone put down a summon sign and helped me with the fight.

Build wise I always start off with strength, dex, vitality, endurance, and all the stats you typically want for a tank like build, then once I get them where I want I build up faith and the stat for spell slots with a few of those rings that give you more slots. Found that the miracles really complement tank like builds with some of the heals and buffs you can get, that and they really help with some of the weapons later like Heide Spear or Lance that goes off of both faith and I think strength(may of been dex, cant remember). That and cant go wrong with a few lightning spears.

Edited by Tolvir

I'd actually be interested to see a sequel to Demon's Souls if Miyazaki wanted to go back to that medieval style. Otherwise I think he was looking towards different settings like Sci-Fi as Tolvir said. Which is very strange to me but I'd probably still play it because who am I kidding.

I agree with you about the DS2s starting armor, though. It was kind of disappointing and the only one I liked was the Clerics to my recollection. A shame because there is a lot of good looking armour in that game, just the starting ones are a bit disappointing.

Did you enjoy Faith? I've actually done very few faith playthroughs, it's probably my least preferred (I don't know why I don't enjoy it very much, miracles just seem rather limited. Demon's Souls can have some crazy faith build regeneration though with like 18HP/second passively... and they can get a Regeneration miracle too which gives like 1%HP/second for a decent amount of time... just insane regeneration), but it is fun to throw an occasional Lightning Spear or such.

Though if you were going to play Dark Souls 1, I would suggest either the Pyromancer or Cleric. The former has a nice starter weapon (Hand Axe, looks to be the same in 3), a free pyromancy flame with Fireball attuned immediately and pretty good stats as well as being the only Soul Level 1 class. The shield they start with is terrible and should be replaced ASAP though. The Cleric is nice because they start with a Talisman and Heal so you can make more mistakes early on as Heal can replace Estus out of combat. Just as a tip, never level Resistance in DS1 ever. It's just a bad stat, unfortunately.

Dark Souls 1 does not have 'Vitality' like 2 (well, technically it does, it's quite confusing but Vitality in DS1 is Vigor in DS2 - both determine HP.) but instead has both equipment load and stamina being in the 'Endurance' stat, so I'm interested to see how that affects builds in Dark Souls 3 having them split like in 2.

Edited by Tryhard

I'd actually be interested to see a sequel to Demon's Souls if Miyazaki wanted to go back to that medieval style. Otherwise I think he was looking towards different settings like Sci-Fi as Tolvir said. Which is very strange to me but I'd probably still play it because who am I kidding.

I agree with you about the DS2s starting armor, though. It was kind of disappointing and the only one I liked was the Clerics to my recollection. A shame because there is a lot of good looking armour in that game, just the starting ones are a bit disappointing.

Did you enjoy Faith? I've actually done very few faith playthroughs, it's probably my least preferred (I don't know why I don't enjoy it very much, miracles just seem rather limited. Demon's Souls can have some crazy faith build regeneration though with like 18HP/second passively... and they can get a Regeneration miracle too which gives like 1%HP/second for a decent amount of time... just insane regeneration), but it is fun to throw an occasional Lightning Spear or such.

Though if you were going to play Dark Souls 1, I would suggest either the Pyromancer or Cleric. The former has a nice starter weapon (Hand Axe, looks to be the same in 3), a free pyromancy flame with Fireball attuned immediately and pretty good stats as well as being the only Soul Level 1 class. The shield they start with is terrible and should be replaced ASAP though. The Cleric is nice because they start with a Talisman and Heal so you can make more mistakes early on as Heal can replace Estus out of combat. Just as a tip, never level Resistance in DS1 ever. It's just a bad stat, unfortunately.

Dark Souls 1 does not have 'Vitality' like 2 (well, technically it does, it's quite confusing but Vitality in DS1 is Vigor in DS2 - both determine HP.) but instead has both equipment load and stamina being in the 'Endurance' stat, so I'm interested to see how that affects builds in Dark Souls 3 having them split like in 2.

Just curious what made Demon Souls different from the others? I always thought Dark Souls was almost a spiritual successor in a way to Demon Souls. There are so many sets that I love in Dark Souls II that I actually upgraded about 3 sets and switch between them when I want to because past 200 in the armor stats it gets a bit of some diminished returns.

Faith worked for me because of the much more defensive style I play, the extra heals and buffs really helped me out. I have done a playthrough using sorcery though, and liked quite a bit of the spells. I will say I am partial to faith spells because in most games I love playing the priest/paladin classes, so faith was right up my alley.I will say I am much more interested in Pyromancy now that it is a starter class and you don't have to find the flame and spells.

Since Pyromancer is returning the same way it is in Dark Souls, I will probably go with that to get familiar with it. That and I love axes. Any recommended builds for it? Haven't bought the game yet, but definitely will before III releases.

Demon's Souls is a little different from Dark Souls, but you can see both the deviations and inspirations that Dark Souls took from it. I would still call it spiritual successor, but for example: Demon's Souls is divided up into five Archstones. Each Archstone has a few consecutive levels that can be quite long. They are referred to by number, so the first level of the second Archstone would be 2-1, and would lead into 2-2. These Archstones are found in a place called the Nexus, which is the hub area where NPCs hang out, you level up, and you select one of the Archstone to transport you to the various levels. Because of that though, you could actually go into many different areas as soon as you begun though you did need to complete 1-1 as a introductory stage. So you could go to 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 at your own choice afterwards. Speaking of which, some of the levels (and implications) could be quite haunting. The Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement were in my opinion particularly striking... especially after reading the description for the latter.

The weapons are simple and there isn't as much variety, though that is somewhat to be expected from the first game. Combat is strange but feels faster and looser than Dark Souls. It tells thing in a more straightforward way as opposed to being more cryptic about its lore like Dark Souls, and while the game was low budget and rushed (much like Dark Souls 1 towards the end unfortunately) and there isn't as much to see as you would like, it is still a really good experience. It's actually interesting because the levels are more likely to kill you then a lot of the bosses - in fact a lot of the bosses aren't very difficult at all compared to the regular levels. There are no bonfires, so while there are shortcuts you're starting over at the same location until you can beat the boss. Healing (and magic regen, because mana point bar) items can be farmed and are more readily available compared to Estus.

It could be seen as a lot more 'hardcore' or 'old school' than Dark Souls, not for being anymore difficult but because the game can be rather obtuse. For example, you can be deleveled. People in PvP can do it to you and certain bosses will as well. Upgrade paths have a lot more variety (for example, you can actually have paths that make a weapon have better Strength or Dexterity scaling). This is something that is actually gonna be in DS3 that we've seen, but at the same time there's a lot more farming for upgrade materials in Demon's Souls. The Magic/Miracle system is strange and a lot of the miracles and magic need to be traded from boss souls... that can also be used to make weapons. And some miracles and magic are either too powerful or just useless. A pure magic build can really break the PvE game in half, even more so than Dark Souls.

This, for example is extremely powerful and almost everyone in PvP would run with it if usable. This is the faith kick ass spell in Demon's Souls.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/second-chance

Equip Load is in the game, but so is Carry Load. This is one thing that I hope never comes back, because you have a weight limit to the amount of shit you can carry. It's annoying, because you have to dump off stuff at an NPC when you go back to the Nexus. I think they realized that wasn't a good idea and dumped it for Dark Souls.

World/Character Tendency is a fucking insane mechanic and I honestly don't know how I feel about it. Basically there is a scale for each world (and your character separately) that goes between Pure White (treated as +3) and Pure Black (treated as -4). Dying in Body Form in that World, for example, lowers the current World Tendency by 1. Killing a Boss or Black Phantom will raise the World Tendency towards White. That's the gist, and various things happen depending on if the World is currently at stages of White or Black Tendency. I've never really seen anything as unique and weird as that.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

Let's just say that there have been more than a few references to Demon's Souls (losing HP from Dark Souls II on death was taken from Demon's Souls soul form like I said before) in many of the games. In fact, I have seen quite a few in DS3... there's even one line that I've seen that is actually the exact same as Demon's Souls and there might be more.

Plus I just fucking love this theme, even though it isn't so complex. I won't show you the fight in case you do want to play it for spoiler reasons, but it's excellent... not mechanically, in fact it isn't at all, but atmospherically.

Demon's Souls is different, but it also is still the spiritual predecessor to Dark Souls undoubtedly. Still, the characters and world are interesting and that's why I would like to see a possible sequel.

Pyromancer can work with anything. I believe Pyromancy scaled with both Intelligence and Faith in Dark Souls 2, but that's not the case in 1, it scales with neither. Because of that, you only need Attunement for spell slots as an investment to make it work besides upgrading your Pyromancy Flame. It's just really good in general. You still need to find a pyromancy teacher (make sure you do not attack them and turn them hostile) and they can be missable, they are a few areas in. Your pyromancy is a backup for your main damage, which is usually just a melee build of some preference.

You can actually buy the same Hand Axe at the first real merchant you see though so starting as Pyromancer isn't completely necessary, they just happen to be my favourite starting class lol. Unfortunately while I like axes too there really isn't a lot of super effective ones - I don't really like the greataxes personally. There's a lot of good weapons, so I would imagine you'd find something you would like. There's a couple of directions you can take it. I assume you want to be melee without faith or intelligence (in which case I would suggest Cleric for the former and... probably still Pyromancer for the latter... Sorcerer is a pretty weak starting class and you can just pick up spells later anyway) so in that case I would suggest: Vitality (HP), Endurance (Equip Load, Stamina), some Attunement (spell slots for Pyromancy + possibility of Miracles or Sorceries), and a choice between either Strength or Dexterity. Now, Dexterity does affect faster casting time of spells slightly but you could go Strength as well, or even both. The Hand Axe, for example is a C/D weapon, so it is more a Strength weapon but the scalings are both not terribly strong.

Here's maybe some guidelines you could work towards:

Vitality: 50 (Vitality technically soft caps at 30 but all your spare points go into here)

Attunement: 16 or 19 (4 or 5 spell slots)

Endurance: 40 (soft cap is at 40 and it's pretty standard because Endurance is so useful in Dark 1/Demon's Souls)

Strength and Dexterity: soft cap at 40 but you can do however much you want with these - make sure you meet minimum weapon requirements if you're not leveling one of them and you should be fine. Or... you could go make your weapon Fire/Lightning/Chaos and make it do elemental damage instead of scaling, and it'll be pretty decent without such investment.

The rest base unless you're doing some faith/intelligence stuff.

Here's an example that is quite similar to what I used for my first playthrough, though this is dexterity based and using a katana. It isn't really optimized for PvP but it helped me get through my terrible playing on first playthrough.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/489506

I suppose I could say that I like Clerics/Paladin style characters too and would probably play them... but I dunno, I just haven't found playing them as enjoyable personally. Perhaps Dark Souls 3 will change my opinion but I can't really look past them being any more than 'throw spear and heal' for the other games unfortunately.

god that's a long post

Edited by Tryhard

Dude, the awesome shit I've seen on tvtropes !
... which are spoilerific and might not be accurate of course... but still.

well III is the final Dark Souls game, but its not the final "souls" game since Bloodborne is counted in that, and I remember reading that Miyazaki said that he wants to go into other genres much like bloodborne did. One genre he particularly mentioned was the Sci-Fi genre, which could be extremely interesting having a sci-fi game done in similar fashion to the other souls games. But yes this is the final Dark Souls game, just not the final "souls" game.

I hope this is true. The souls series is the only series that... actually give me a sense of doing something. To do efforts, to test my determination, to make me feel like I actually deserve my victories, to enjoy what I do, and pretty much everything else. Each time I discover something new, or simply take a closer look at something I've already seen, I'm exited and happy like all crap, and it's awesome.

In Dark Souls 2, I recently discovered (as in, 3/4 months ago) a new zone in the Lost Bastile, and I was just so freaking happy !

Yeah, after years of gaming, which started since my childhood... i feel dull. The souls series give me feelings I've only ever felt in a very few of games.

The souls series is simply the pinnacle, the godtier, the best of best of games.

Edited by B.Leu

Demon's Souls is a little different from Dark Souls, but you can see both the deviations and inspirations that Dark Souls took from it. I would still call it spiritual successor, but for example: Demon's Souls is divided up into five Archstones. Each Archstone has a few consecutive levels that can be quite long. They are referred to by number, so the first level of the second Archstone would be 2-1, and would lead into 2-2. These Archstones are found in a place called the Nexus, which is the hub area where NPCs hang out, you level up, and you select one of the Archstone to transport you to the various levels. Because of that though, you could actually go into many different areas as soon as you begun though you did need to complete 1-1 as a introductory stage. So you could go to 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 at your own choice afterwards. Speaking of which, some of the levels (and implications) could be quite haunting. The Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement were in my opinion particularly striking... especially after reading the description for the latter.

Sounds like Demon Souls was a lot more complicated than Dark Souls. Also sounds like it had a bit more of horror elements than the other two. The archstones sound pretty interesting too. I am definitely glad they got rid of weight limit, because inventory weight is one of the things I hate in games. Anytime I get something on computer I use console commands to get rid of weight limits because its more of an annoyance than anything. Thanks for that build btw, will probably use it and change it depending on what I like and don;t like.

Dude, the awesome shit I've seen on tvtropes !

... which are spoilerific and might not be accurate of course... but still.

I hope this is true. The souls series is the only series that... actually give me a sense of doing something. To do efforts, to test my determination, to make me feel like I actually deserve my victories, to enjoy what I do, and pretty much everything else. Each time I discover something new, or simply take a closer look at something I've already seen, I'm exited and happy like all crap, and it's awesome.

In Dark Souls 2, I recently discovered (as in, 3/4 months ago) a new zone in the Lost Bastile, and I was just so freaking happy !

Yeah, after years of gaming, which started since my childhood... i feel dull. The souls series give me feelings I've only ever felt in a very few of games.

The souls series is simply the pinnacle, the godtier, the best of best of games.

That is definitely one of the biggest draws to the series for me is exploring everything in the game. I played through II about three times now and am still finding zones and hidden items I didn't know about. I had no idea there was a bonfire above the Iron King in Iron Keep. Also didn't know about the merchant above the Congregation in Brightcove. That and each playthrough I got progressivly better. I used to hate the Pursuer as a boss, and would dread having to fight him, and now once I figured out his patterns and when to dodge, he became one of my favorite bosses, and look forward to fighting each time. Same situation with the three sentries in Lost Bastille. Used to hate those two until I figured out their patterns.

Edited by Tolvir

Dear Fromsoftware, I am still waiting for a new Armor Cored game. May be you will make one after Dark Souls III?

I will also accept a Kantai Collection ARPG.

Edited by Magical CC

Sounds like Demon Souls was a lot more complicated than Dark Souls. Also sounds like it had a bit more of horror elements than the other two. The archstones sound pretty interesting too. I am definitely glad they got rid of weight limit, because inventory weight is one of the things I hate in games. Anytime I get something on computer I use console commands to get rid of weight limits because its more of an annoyance than anything. Thanks for that build btw, will probably use it and change it depending on what I like and don;t like.

It's a little complicated in some aspects and more simpler in others. Though it does have a few horror themes like Bloodborne (and Dark Souls, but to a lesser extent). The Valley of Defilement I mentioned features plague baby enemies, which the game implies (and most players think so) in the description of the archstone to be aborted fetuses thrown into the dumping ground.

Hopefully the build would be decent enough, though I would understand if you wanted to go Quality (both Strength and Dexterity) or just pure Strength as well. I've recently been doing a Dexterity + Intelligence build and it's pretty nice for PvE because I weapon buff a Falchion and just light attack spam and it's very effective for PvE. Unfortunately doing anything with Intelligence (and Faith to a lesser degree) is a little annoying if it's your first time playing because it's hard to find the locations of some of the spells you may rely on (if you're not looking up where to get them)

I've been playing Scholar for the first time recently as well and it does seem more difficult than the original DS2. So far I've been using the Rapier and Dexterity which seems really effective for some reason. I remember Strength weapons like the Mace being really great when I played the original, and generally Strength weapons were considered better than Dexterity in DS2 from what I remember when compared to the other Souls games where Dexterity weapons (or just Dexterity as a stat) are generally considered superior.

Edited by Tryhard

I suppose this thread has become about Souls series in general.

I only played DS2 and currently playing Scholar of the first Sin with some friends, so I don't have that much experience about the series in general, but I am really looking forward to DS3 (however, I don't think that my PC will be able to run it).

SotFS is more difficult than the original game, but I think that if you're familiar with the first game, it shouldn't be too difficult. In my opinion, the main difficulty is early in the game where they have put more enemies and more difficult ones (Pursuers everywhere). The farthest I've been is before gathering the giant souls, with DLC1 done so I didn't clear the game yet.

And actually, the Rapier is an extremely good weapon in DS2, like, really really good. To give you an idea, speedrunners use mostly 2 weapons in DS2, the Rapier, and the Red Iron Twinblade. It has low stamina consumption, quick attacks, high counter damage, can benefit of Old Leo ring (more counter damage), is upgraded with common titanites, and you also can obtain it early.

Edited by Avk

I suppose this thread has become about Souls series in general.

I only played DS2 and currently playing Scholar of the first Sin with some friends, so I don't have that much experience about the series in general, but I am really looking forward to DS3 (however, I don't think that my PC will be able to run it).

SotFS is more difficult than the original game, but I think that if you're familiar with the first game, it shouldn't be too difficult. In my opinion, the main difficulty is early in the game where they have put more enemies and more difficult ones (Pursuers everywhere). The farthest I've been is before gathering the giant souls, with DLC1 done so I didn't clear the game yet.

And actually, the Rapier is an extremely good weapon in DS2, like, really really good. To give you an idea, speedrunners use mostly 2 weapons in DS2, the Rapier, and the Red Iron Twinblade. It has low stamina consumption, quick attacks, high counter damage, can benefit of Old Leo ring (more counter damage), is upgraded with common titanites, and you also can obtain it early.

The most I've got to say about DS3 is that I'm excited for it and anything beyond that would be going into spoilers I would have to tag since I have seen quite a bit of the early game from people getting to play the demos. Just been playing the other games in preparation.

But yeah, it is harder but still manageable. Just I was a little surprised when I saw a Dragon in front of the lowering bridge in Heide's Tower. I've never really been a fan of thrusting swords in the other games but they do seem very good. I did do a no death/no bonfire run back in the original DS2 with the Mace and a Large Club and it really did make bosses stagger easily and great damage but the Rapier seems to do the same.

Edited by Tryhard

The soundtrack has been leaked for a while now, by the way. The bosses sound pretty interesting. ;) Makes me want to play even more.

I'm just hoping we can visit the Boreal Valley. Castle Cainhurst was a cool winter-themed area. I hope we get something like that again.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave's LP of Dark Souls 3 started. I had a very scary/happy smile on my face after seeing it yesterday.

But oh gosh, the things I've seen on the internet, they are just so awesome, so crazy, so badass ! That I think I gained enough Insight to have sex with the Doll.

(Bloodborne dirty stupid joke here.)

But oh gosh, the things I've seen on the internet, they are just so awesome, so crazy, so badass ! That I think I gained enough Insight to have sex with the Doll.

I'd rather diddle Valtr's sexy voice

Anyway, as someone who has the game already, I can tell you that it's pretty fantastic.

Spoiler, as in, Mega-ultra-spoiler of hell.

...Well, I tried to be vague enough so people who know what I'm talking about... will know.

I discovered the Nameless King, and who he could be. My life might be a lie. Our lives might be a lie.

Edited by B.Leu