How do i become better in FE Awakening

Suspect

The AI priorities attacking unarmed units over armed units. Considering how beefy Frederick is in roughly the first half of the game, you can use this AI quirk to your advantage by disarming Frederick and use him as a distraction.

Whenever you fail a chapter, don't just insta-reset. Try to understand why it went wrong, and plan around it. Maybe it was inconvenient reinforcements, you didn't see they had an effective weapon like a hammer, etc. Understanding why something works is a lot more important than finishing the chapters if you want to improve.

I'd say keep playing. Also if you are finding specific chapters hard feel free to ask people who have played the game before.

ETA:

The best adivce I can give is to play the game with an open mind. Characters will give you hints here and there so keep an eye out. The best example I can think of is Virion explaining that archers are best at a distance while Sumia kindly points out that its best to stay clear of archers if you are a pegasus knight...and I know that was how I lost Cordelia in chapter 7...

Edited by TheSilentChloey

I think the best advice I can give is to play carefully and pay attention to everything, especially enemy movement and threat ranges. Have your tougher characters protect weaker characters by standing between them and the enemy, and be careful about charging ahead - it's often better to stay around the edge of the enemy's range and let them come to you first.

Also, don't try to use everyone. Fire Emblem games are balanced assuming you'll pick a small set of characters (maybe around a dozen) to bring with you on most chapters, focusing on leveling them and ignoring the others.

I'm gonna echo what Phoenix_Kensai said, and also add that it's a good idea to pay attention to forts and the edges of the maps, as well as stairs on indoor maps, since reinforcements tend to come from those areas 9 times out of 10. Also, don't skip the mid-battle dialogue - it tends to warn about reinforcements.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Is there anything in particular that you are struggeling with?

My main advice would be to pay close attention to the enemy range. By clicking on them you can see how far they can move and which unit will be in their range of attack. Its pretty handy to see if your frail units are in danger.

Another one would be to use Frederick. Have him weaken the enemies with weaker weapons such as bronze weapons or hand axes. That way your weaker units can finish them of without eating a counterattack.

The AI priorities attacking unarmed units over armed units. Considering how beefy Frederick is in roughly the first half of the game, you can use this AI quirk to your advantage by disarming Frederick and use him as a distraction.

On the contrary, the AI will attack units with poorer defences, even if they can counterattack and your bulkier allies can't.

Use your favourite units. No-one is terrible in this game on Normal, so you can just use your favourites. Pair-up is very useful to increase unit stats and building supports, and if compatible units max out supports with an S rank,

they get married and have a child. Kids are better for postgame, but maingame your current units will do just fine.

Don't use Frederick to kill enemies. However, it is a very good idea to let him weaken the enemies so others can get the kill. Later on, you can let Fred kill things as his growths aren't awful by any means. (In case of an emergency where someone's about to die, you can let Fred kill units.)

Press X to show total enemy range. Keep fragile units out of the pink area!

Is there anything in particular that you are struggeling with?

My main advice would be to pay close attention to the enemy range. By clicking on them you can see how far they can move and which unit will be in their range of attack. Its pretty handy to see if your frail units are in danger.

Another one would be to use Frederick. Have him weaken the enemies with weaker weapons such as bronze weapons or hand axes. That way your weaker units can finish them of without eating a counterattack.

The Position of Units mostly.

The Position of Units mostly.

That is something I tend to struggle with myself (afterall I did lose Cordelia to an archer and had to reset). A better idea would be to hit the A button on enemies that could hurt your weaker units (which makes a red area) and take note of their range. Of course that doesn't always help, but it can be useful.

• 1 month later...

That is something I tend to struggle with myself (afterall I did lose Cordelia to an archer and had to reset). A better idea would be to hit the A button on enemies that could hurt your weaker units (which makes a red area) and take note of their range. Of course that doesn't always help, but it can be useful.

Alternatively, press X to reveal all enemy attack ranges and plan accordingly by making effective use of not just the feature I've just described, but also the feature of the clicking on individual enemies, this creates a visual effect where you can see the overall attack ranges and it makes any super dangerous situations super easy to work around.

A good example is if you want to have Sumia attack a Myrmidon but an archer looks like it could just get her if she attacks the Myrmidon from an adjacent tile. In this sense, you'd want to equip her with a Javelin (or other thrown Lance type weapon like a Short Spear) and position her to use a Ranged attack so she remains out of the Archer's way. Then depending on how the Archer behaves after you beat the Myrmidon, you can either have Sumia kill the Archer, or send someone like Chrom or Frederick depending on whether or not Sumia could dispatch it by herself.

It seems pretty basic to label it like this, but knowing something as basic as this is pretty important.

Alternatively, press X to reveal all enemy attack ranges and plan accordingly by making effective use of not just the feature I've just described, but also the feature of the clicking on individual enemies, this creates a visual effect where you can see the overall attack ranges and it makes any super dangerous situations super easy to work around.

A good example is if you want to have Sumia attack a Myrmidon but an archer looks like it could just get her if she attacks the Myrmidon from an adjacent tile. In this sense, you'd want to equip her with a Javelin (or other thrown Lance type weapon like a Short Spear) and position her to use a Ranged attack so she remains out of the Archer's way. Then depending on how the Archer behaves after you beat the Myrmidon, you can either have Sumia kill the Archer, or send someone like Chrom or Frederick depending on whether or not Sumia could dispatch it by herself.

It seems pretty basic to label it like this, but knowing something as basic as this is pretty important.

This especially back in the old games where enemy range wasn't automatically given forcing you to gauge the distances one by one. Most disasters happen when there is a dangerous unit you missed in your initial map scout. If you aren't scouting the map to see enemy placement skills and types that is also a major source of disaster.

It is also important to remember there can always be enemy reinforcements and what units have weaknesses.