Return of the Emblem Chapter Fourteen: Nine

Phoenix

So, Gabbie knew this Emil figure, they had been captured when they were children and they weren't from Sardius. This was all useful information...

Wait, did he hear that right? They had been from another land? That confirmed some rumours of other continents outside of Sardius, but then if that was the case, how did children make it from across the sea or the air? Unless they were with adults, which might explain the "everyone else" the Disciple of Thanatos had added on.

"Who captured you?" Lane asked, having stopped writing to think about the information he had been given. The answer to that question might very well end up being important, in the scheme of things.

"I'm not so sure about that, unless Cygnus isn't the only manipulator at play, here," Pavel said, before going back to Bosconovitch. "The problem with reporting it is that we don't know how far this goes up, especially since we know at least a General is involved. And it's even worse as said general's probably a Guardian, so none of them can be trusted. It's truly a mess."

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dining Hall

Gabbie sighed at the question. "Don't know if you've heard of the Trident, but it was them. Just three captains with their three ships ... and they still captured our entire fleet." Having encountered them for herself long before learning about the reputation of the Trident, Gabbie was unimpressed with the public's general view of them. Where she knew them as monsters masquerading as people, the public knew them as pirates. Where Gabbie knew them as servants of Leviathan, the public saw them as mere admirers of the Sea King. Somehow the legend forming around the Trident was less mysterious and evil than the real thing.

That piqued Reign's interest. "There are some awful stories about them. I'm a couple of generations removed from the flotilla but even I know some of them."

"I bet they're pretty tame," Gabbie scowled.

"I suggest seeing what you can learn from Jaeger first," Weyland weighed in on the Bosconovitch issue, "You'll be headed out there regardless, and she's bound to have come across more concrete information in the months she's been there. As things stand, all you have is an accusation, forget any co conspirators within the government.

Edited by Phoenix

What an interesting story- always something new to learn. "I imagine you weren't that young of a child when you were captured- otherwise you would sound like you were from Sardius. If you remember anything and are willing, I'd be very interested in hearing about your home sometime," Lysandra said to Gabbie.

"I can't just pretend like nothing is wrong. If someone like Peter Bosconovitch is working for the Organization then my family- all of Neviskotia- is in so much more danger than they realize," Veronika said, putting a hand on her forehead. Maks...this was much easier when it was just about saving Raquel's father but now it's getting personal.

Uri frowned and nodded. "Yes, it's a shame that things got out of hand. Still, perhaps I can help with the boredom. Is there something you would be interested in doing? Talking perhaps? Or something else?" The Avian knew some card games, though he was not especially good at them. Well, either he was no good at them or he was cheating at them. His mind reading gave him an advantage if he used it, and everyone that knew that some Avians could mind read were typically unwilling to play any sort of gambling game with him. Even if he promised to not cheat, they never quite trusted that. Still, Leo didn't exactly have anything better to be doing, so perhaps he would be willing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erion couldn't help but wince as Amalia asked him for help. If he was being honest, he was about as lost as she was. He'd been traveling with the group for longer, but not significantly. And all these names being tossed around were ones he barely recognized if at all. "Well... I'll be honest, I don't know much more than you. Cygnus, I think, is the head of the Org that's been after Raquel for a while... We've fought them a couple of times since I've been around. All the other names... I vaguely know Bosconovitch from reputation from when I lived back in 'Skotia but that's it. You might be better off asking someone else. I'm still one of the newer members of the group."

Edited by scorri
Two characters not one

The Trident? Lane had, admittedly, only heard rumours about them, a mysterious pirate trio that was said to have devoted themselves to Leviathan. But, especially given the realm they were dealing with, there was no need to doubt Gabbie's account. He decided not to ask more about it quite yet, and instead went back to making notes.

"Hmm, I suppose," Pavel said in response to Weyland's suggestion, though he was far from committing to that just yet. Upon Nika expressing her concern, he forced himself to keep quiet, if only because he didn't have anything reassuring to say about her fears.

Dining Hall

Of course someone was interested. Gabbie just wished she'd had a little more time to overcome her past beforehand. Of course, always avoiding that place hadn't helped her recovery along one bit. Maybe this would help, somehow. "Yeah, sure," she said, not making eye contact with Lysandra, "don't expect sunshine and rainbows, though. It's all the same problems on a different continent."

"So true~" Dominik grinned and nodded in agreement. "If you're interested," he said, eyeing Lysandra, "I could offer more details about it. Gabriella didn't have an easy time getting here. Well, no one ever does, but I'm personally over it."

"No, I'll do it," Gabbie waved dismissively, "Not like trying not to think about it helps, anyway."

Weyland sighed. He wanted to offer a better suggestion than relying on Jaeger for information, but the situation in the east wasn't very clear, even to them. "Whatever you do, don't risk your credibility over this. Whatever that connection is, it's likely well guarded."

"I agree," Steinn chimed in, "More importantly, my people are a greater threat to your nation and people than Cygnus or any other active party we know about. I advise you to first focus on the siege gate. If you destroy it quickly enough, you may gain the gratitude of those in power. Your word will surely carry more weight than your enemies' at that point. That's when you should move against them, not before." Of course, this was all quite time dependent. "If you cannot destroy the siege gate before it is activated, then the current political climate will become irrelevant overnight. You may even be forced to fight alongside your enemies. If that's the case, you should strike them down in the chaos, but only if victory would still be well within your grasp." Of course, Steinn doubted anyone's chances against an archdemon and a supporting army.

Weyland shook his head slightly. Every now and then, Steinn would mix in some seemingly classic 'fallen logic' that was a brutal reminder of his origins. The rest of the time, he easily passed for Ursian nobility. Weyland supposed Steinn, even when channeling his baser nature, still passed for Ursian nobility ... just the nobles of the west rather than the east. He'd fit right in over in Sanctis and the territories further west. Being disillusioned at random was starting to get annoying, but someday he'd stop being caught off guard by it. "I agree with some of that," Weyland said, giving Steinn a brief glance before turning to Veronika, "The gate's a higher priority, right now. There's only so much damage Cygnus can cause in the meantime."

Infirmary

"Hmm," Leo mulled over Uriel's suggestions for a moment. He doubted he could talk the healer into helping him go for a walk, otherwise that just might have come up. "Have you been around the mansion? Could you tell me a little more about it? That's what's really eating at me right now." He felt like a cat that hurt itself while still exploring its new home. He felt insecure, extremely curious, and slightly irritable. "If not, I really should just tough it out and have a look around. You could come with me if you're worried ..."

Called

The first spark may have detonated but the smouldering flames and closed room would always be there, ready to backdraft when needed.  "They're too arrogant to reveal themselves because of these gates.  Unless it's right on their asses they won't care - no matter what prattle they spittle otherwise."  Right after his own heart if they weren't a butcher and his meat.  You want to catch a fox, get a bloodhound.  Grab Bosconovitch and make with the talky.  "I presume messages can get through to this Jeager?"

I wonder if that young man is from there as well or if they're just close..."If it were paradise, then why would anyone ever leave?" Lysandra asked rhetorically. "I appreciate your willingness to indulge a nosy old woman, dear," Lysandra said to Gabbie. 

Veronika wasn't particularly opposed to stabbing the Organization in the back if it came to that, but she had forgotten how pressing the siege gate matter was. As troubling as all this news was, there were few other ways to go except forward. "Either way, we need to get to Neviskotia as quickly as possible. Unless there's some magic I don't know about that can teleport us there, that leaves us with land or sea as our options. Both will be dangerous."

Dining Hall

"Point," Dominik said, wondering if things had gone even further downhill since he left.

Gabbie nodded at Lysandra, though it was slight and barely noticeable. "Just hope you're not disappointed."

As far as Jaeger was concerned, getting in touch with her would be easy enough, but actual communication could go any number of ways, Weyland imagined. "Once she knows you're affiliated with me," the professor began, envisioning an actual encounter, "she'll probably seek you out in private at the earliest opportunity. She doesn't trust others not to ruin her cover--or in general for that matter, so she'll try to set you straight well in advance. It depends on how much she thinks you know about her and her mission."

Anna giggled. "That sounds about right."

"If you'd rather send messages more discreetly," Weyland continued, "then you can do that, as well. She's certainly been able to contact us and vice versa."

"Just be careful," Anna chimed in again, "she won't try to kill any of you unless she needs to put on a show, but she's got no reservations about using her magic to mess with you. Just don't mistake that for the intent to maim or kill."

Zachary's attention had been divided for most of the meeting. Between visually confirming that Sirius was alright every minute or so, and trying to track every other exchange happening simultaneously, he wasn't able to contribute anything to the discussions, not until the time sensitive nature of their mission came up, again. "We actually do have a way to get to Neviskotia very quickly," he said, standing up and moving a little closer to the fore, "I mean Raquel and Jethro were out there, right? If Raquel can take one person with her, she can probably take a few more, but I bet she could warp the whole group."

"Yeah, that's not happening," Jethro immediately shot down the idea.

Confused, and admittedly annoyed by the flat out rejection, Zach asked, "Okay then, why not? There's no faster way to get to Neviskotia, right? Besides, we could actually use this to our advantage in a fight. If we plan it right, we could take Cygnus down right now by warping the entire group in on top of him. Just knock him out before he can do anything, and then warp right back here and lock him up with Zerachiel."

"Attacking Cygnus that way is an even worse idea," Jethro held up a finger, "First of all, this is the kind of thing Cygnus' emblem ability will help him counter if it works the way he said it does. We're the ones that are going to get ambushed if we just warp into his base." Holding up a second finger, he said, "Also we know next to nothing about the layout of that place, or how to escape on foot if something goes wrong. Now, in case you're wondering, this is exactly what will go wrong: Cygnus is going to take control of Raquel as soon as we show up. You don't need emblem powers to see how that ends. As for warping to Neviskotia in general, we'd still need an emblem wielder to warp to, and the only ones we know about are Cygnus, Michael, and Emil. The problem with those three should be obvious." Jethro hoped it was obvious, at least.

"Well, if we have time before leaving, I'd like to ask you a few questions about your homeland, if you don't mind," Lane said, to Dominik. "Even though it wasn't paradise, it would be interesting to hear about another land outside of Sardius." And it would maybe give him some information to work with in regards to Emil.

In any case, if they were referring to Ryder in terms of discreet messaging, the man in black agreed that they would be the best way to contact Jaeger. Speaking of the messenger had Lane thinking of something ridiculous however, which naturally meant he would look into it later. For now, the question of how to get to Neviskotia was at hand.

"I think traveling by sea would probably be safer," he said, "Since the war's still going on, and the battlelines are just past Urcenter, the last time I had heard tell of it."

"You'd be tracked by Hydra, through Leviathan," Pavel said, interjecting. "And if they pass that info along to Fox, there'd be trouble."

That left Lane silent awfully quickly.

Gabbie seems rather sad- I'll have to be delicate in my questions, Lysandra thought to herself before responding to Zachary's suggestion."I appreciate your willingness to think outside the box dear, but I'm afraid I must agree with Jethro. Cygnus will be prepared for such a possibility and doing so would put Raquel in great peril. We'll just have to get to Neviskotia the old fashioned way- and if we are interested in going by ship I did have Gabriel make some arrangements beforehand."

"Traveling by sea would be faster than going by land. With this siege gate along with whatever the Organization is planning in Neviskotia, we may not have the luxury of time even if the seas are more dangerous," Veronika interjected. Traveling through a warzone being a safer option is a sad reflection on how bad things are right now...

"Well it's not like we don't have emblem wielders," Erion pointed out. "If we could somehow get one of us to 'skotia, then she could warp to us, yes? It's a lot easier for a normal mage to warp one person than a whole group. Wouldn't that be easier?" There was of course still the problem of getting the emblem wielder there, but Jethro's comments about not knowing any other wielders was wrong.

Keeper had been sitting in the back of the meeting room, doing his best to not draw any attention, when the talk of warping came up. He coughed quietly, and then sighed. They're talking about warping people, Boss. I can't warp all of them easily, but I could bring one of them. And apparently Raquel could take the rest to the other person after that. Should I volunteer or leave it be?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uri frowned. He hadn't really explored much, but Leo wasn't going to take that answer easily. Still... "Well, I haven't seen much to be honest. Mostly just the dining hall and my room, plus up here. But... If you can walk around this room normally, I suppose I could give you a pass to walk around here, though I would insist on staying with you. I wouldn't want my healing job to come undone while you were alone... Not that I think it will, but there's always a risk."

"Ahh... I-I see... Also, c-could you, uhm... N-Never mind." She didn't really wish to interrupt him to ask for her hand back, as much as it was making her blush, an inappropriate reaction, considering the seriousness of the meeting. Still, with her level of knowledge on things happening, knowing that a group was coming after Raquel was all she needed to know. These people were definitely good people, so she would aid them against whoever wished them harm. More Emblem wielders? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Considering what I have learned of Raquel today, that there are others that are normal Emblem wielders, must truly be a norm for this group.

Dining Hall

"This is my favorite area to hang around in," Dominik replied to Lane, "so you can generally find me here."

There wasn't much that could be said since his sneak attack idea hadn't gained any traction, Zachary decided. "I guess so," he said, giving up, "Just seemed like a good chance to turn the tables. There's always some risk going on offense but a lot of times it's worth it." He shrugged. At least the warping idea itself wasn't dead. It would be nice to save time getting to Neviskotia.

Raquel curled up slightly, closing her eyes tightly, a move that left her father a little vexed. He didn't comment on it right away, instead addressing Erion. "Never said we didn't. What we don't have are friendly wielders in Neviskotia," Jethro clarified, and then glanced at Gabbie, "Not unless Emil counts ..."

"He doesn't," Gabbie scowled back at the elder Valcyn.

"Alright then. As for sending someone out there, I don't know how far a normal warping can get someone on short notice."

"Light magic," Reign chimed in with what began almost like a quote from a book, "Forty-two miles before exhaustion, maximum. Dark magic; Twenty-five miles before exhaustion, maximum. That's the official top record. Best kept averages are about two thirds those ranges. Energy costs vary with the mage, but will still put tears in your eyes."

Given who'd delivered it, the information was oddly informative. Jethro didn't know Reign knew anything about warp spells. The news itself wasn't great, but that was to be expected. With a light staff and someone to use it--dark was a terribly inefficient option from the sound of things--whichever emblem wielder they warped would still take some time to reach their destination. How much time depended on the destination, likely Kievan Rus. That was at least five hundred miles away. If all miraculously went well, they would simply be waiting around the estate for days and then be whisked off to the capital. "It'd be a bit better if we weren't just sitting around waiting but that's my only issue with it. By the way, honey, what are you doing?" he asked Raquel.

"I'm trying to see if I can find Cygnus again," she said, opening one eye briefly, "We had help last time, so I want to make sure it still works."

That sounded just a little risky, but Jethro supposed it was pointless to even talk about this if Raquel still didn't have a handle on the ability. "Just ... don't warp anywhere."

"Okay. This might actually work," Weyland mused aloud, "... one moment. I'm trying to plot something out ..." The man clearly had some modified version of this warping idea assembling itself in his mind. As curious as Jethro was getting, he didn't want to interrupt the professor's train of thought. He'd share when he was ready.

Infirmary

Walking around the infirmary. Somehow that didn't sound so appealing. Probably because it defeated the purpose of being up and about, Leo eventually concluded. "Ah, never mind," he sighed, "maybe I'll just take a nap. Just walking around here wouldn't be worth the effort."

Edited by Phoenix

Go ahead. It might end the current war faster.

"Alright, then, I'll see if I have time later then," Lane said, as he remembered that he would need to go to the Hall of Truth later on, especially given what he had learned so far. He decided to stay out of the discussion around warping since, while it would be convenient, he wasn't sure that it would be the best option in the long term, and so decided to wait and see what Weyland proposed.

Pavel, on the other hand, decided to speak up.

"We actually have a faster way to move around," he said, having received a similar response from Thanatos. "Keeper, if you don't mind explaining?"

Keeper smiled slightly as he got the go ahead and then was introduced by Uniter. "Warping is somewhat of my specialty. And given who I work for, the normal limits don't exactly apply. If you have a wielder that's willing to go with me, I'd be able to warp them to a couple of places in Neviskotia easily. Depending on where exactly you want to go, it might take longer, especially given the current situation in Purgatory, but I have a couple of locations within that country that I can easily warp to." With warping to Purgatory being essentially out of the question right now, Keeper was going to need to warp to one of the locations in Neviskotia that he'd been multiple times. Thankfully he had a safe house of sorts set up in the capital itself for when his duties required him to be there. Besides being stocked with his standard weapons supplies, it was also a small place to live if needed. "I can go into further detail if you want, but the general gist is I should be able to get one of you to the capital within an hour or less."

Erion was surprised, both by the limitations on warping that Reign had pointed out and by the man in the back's ability to seemingly ignore those restrictions that Reign had stated. "Well... If you can do it, that's easy enough. I'll volunteer to be the one transported if that's all we need. It should be easy enough." Glancing over at Amalia, he noticed her blushing and the quiet stammers that she had made clicked in his head. He gently disentangled his hand from hers, hoping that his instincts were correct here. Gotta remember she's not used to all of this...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Just around... Ah, you seem to have misunderstood my point. All I meant to say was that I wish to see your ability to walk before heading out into the estate. If you just take a few seconds and walk around here, just to prove that you aren't about to collapse, I see no problem with you exploring. I would want to stick near you just in case, but I have no reason to keep you in here if you can in fact walk." Hopefully that cleared up the misunderstanding. Leo was clearly unhappy about being stuck in the bed, and so hopefully Uri insisting on staying with him wouldn't deter that.

With a relieved sigh, she pulled said hand back into her other, following along the warping talk. However, someone appeared to have the means of bending those rules and bringing someone across the country in only an hour. How interesting. Erion had volunteered himself, which, while Amalia figured was dangerous, she nodded after him. "I would trust Erion to be competent enough for this, if you can only send one man." He was definitely a skilled individual, in combat and otherwise.

Dining Hall

"Hm?" Weyland eyed Pavel and then Keeper. After the former set the stage for the latter, a new approach was laid out which would, if successful, save them weeks in reaching the capital. No doubt Steinn would be all for it, with the alternative being to give the fallen several more weeks to prepare the siege gate. Depending on their progress, and based on what he'd learned from Steinn, several weeks could make all the difference. Still, racing from one ordeal into the next was bound to catch up with the group sooner or later. Not resting for at least one night before setting back out again was inadvisable.

There was one thing still eating at Weyland by the time he'd finished mulling over the idea in his mind. Everything sounded well and good in theory, but they were banking everything on Raquel's ability to transport the entire group. The plan should work, but only if this didn't apply, as Weyland feared, solely to other emblem wielders. "Well it's certainly an easier approach than I had in mind, but it might still be worth considering if Raquel's abilities aren't as advanced as we've assumed." Glancing at the girl in question, the professor continued, "Are you certain you can warp anyone in particular, and not just emblem wielders?"

Raquel smiled forcefully as she tried to think back on the past couple of days. "Iiii ... have no idea, actually." She'd jumped much of the continent with her father in tow, and done something like a warp that saw Lane moving with her ... but was the latter truly a warp? If so, then perhaps she could pull it off. Actual numbers were a complete unknown, however. "I could probably do it."

"In that case you should start running some tests before committing to this," Weyland said, giving Raquel something of a pleading look, "I had a similar approach in mind, but it buys you two weeks at the absolute most. If you take this most direct approach, then make certain nothing will go wrong, first. I wouldn't want you to get separated somehow, some of you to winding up in Kievan Rus and others in separatist territory or some other unfortunate outcome." Steinn hadn't chimed in yet, which was more or less a good thing in Weyland's view. The Professor addressed Keeper next. "I'm curious as to how you've managed to achieve such incredible warping distances." It reminded him of the Messenger of Night, Ryder, though markedly more helpful. "Either way, this isn't something you should be doing, tonight."

Infirmary

"... oh!" Leo's blood was flowing again by the time his feet were on the ground. He couldn't help but smile at the prospect of getting back to checking out the estate. Hell, even dinner could wait. "Alright, let's see just how my knee's doing, then." The ex bandit could deal with a little soreness, so didn't plan on letting anything minor like that show in his expression or movements. Coming up from the bed on both feet, his weight distributed evenly between the two, Leo smirked at the near total lack of pain. "So far so good."

Despite his overall confidence, Leo didn't want to risk having his outing ruined, either by some lingering aches and pains or simply forgetting how to walk properly and getting talked back into bed by the healer. Each step on his healed leg was a firm but cautious one at first, but soon Leo was strolling around in random circles in the infirmary. "Not bad ..."

Called

Feh, always had to leave this in the wrong hands.  "We'll need multiple secure locations to warp to in reasonable distance from each other.  Too suspicious otherwise.  And this could help bring in the assistance I mentioned quicker."  The more people seeking that gate the less time he had to waste on it when he could be on the hunt.

Keeper responded with a small shrug to Weyland. "My boss has a lot to do with it. His powers augment my own as I'm sure you're aware. But also..." He pulled back the sleeves of his shirt to reveal several jewel studded bracelets. "It helps when you're carrying around a large external supply of energy too." He didn't see any reason to get much further into his powers unless Weyland insisted. It looked like the only potential issue was if Raquel could perform the warp bringing along multiple people though the angry white haired man seemed to have his own objections. Keeper dismissed the concerns with a small hand wave. "My destination is non-descript enough that it won't be a significant issue. If you have that big of a problem with it, you simply need to stage leaving the house. There's no reason anyone would be watching it, and if you don't all leave in a single group, you won't draw attention to yourself. A few people leaving at a time would be able to blend in with no issue."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was a good sign. Leo was up and walking around almost like he'd never been injured. "Well then. I suppose I have no reason to insist you stay locked up here anymore. I hope you don't mind if I follow along though, just in case. And, ah, in case I forgot before... My name is Uriel. Uri for short if you prefer. I believe Amalia said that your name was Leo, yes? I am glad to see that you've ended up here. That fight... Well, it's not my sort of thing. I'd much rather be taking care of people in a situation like this than in the middle of a fight, I must confess. But at least we were able to leave some of you alive." His words were awkward, and he knew it. All he was doing was dredging up memories that Leo would most likely rather not be thinking about right now, but what else was he supposed to say? Earlier had clearly proven that most people weren't interested in talking about dragons, talking about the weather was boring, and he suspected this man knew little about avians. So the only thing Uri knew they had in common was the battle from earlier. He sighed quietly. Dragons were so much easier than people. At least Serafine was.

Called

"A lot of things that shouldn't be happening are happening."  He tightened his fists.  "Fine, your establishment is beyond suspicion.  If it's still there, my house burned down, maybe your's did.  I don't know, but there's been enough bad coincidences and turns of luck to leave things up to one plan.  That's why we're all here chattin' about it."

Keeper sighed. This man was annoying. "Fine, you want me to check?" Standing up, he lightly touched one of the now exposed gems on the bracelet with two fingers. Muttering something under his breath, he disappeared in a bright flash of light. 

Hopefully this will shut him up.

A second flash of light later, and Keeper was back in the room, this time standing up near the front a few feet to the side of Weyland and company. "Shockingly, my house is still there, as intact as ever. Now, are there any other questions?"

"Raquel can warp us all," Lane said, as though it was a matter of fact. "She just needs some instruction, and some practice. I'd say she'll be ready for it by midday tomorrow at the latest, if that practice starts tonight. As for safety, maybe the two of you could go and scout out a few locations together, before the big move? Or is it the large warp that's the problem?"

Pavel decided to leave it to Keeper to handle this situation. For more than a few reasons.

"Well, once we get to Kievan Rus we might be able to use my family's manor as a base of operations," Veronika offered, a little lost on all the magic talk. I thought I would have a lot more time to prepare for this- guess I have to figure out what to do pretty quickly.

Lysandra raised an eyebrow at Reign's knowledge of warping magic. Well, he's certainly no hedge mage. We might need to talk shop later... She decided to stay quiet for the moment- everything seemed fine with the warping plan, in theory at least.

--

Exiting outside for archery practice after dinner, Robin briefly glanced through one of the windows to check that the estate wasn't under attack by the Organization or Fallen or whatever else. Looks like Raquel is safe at least. They're probably talking about things I don't understand and I'm not any good at talking to people anyway. If I'm going to help Raquel, I need to focus on what I'm good at. She eyed up her shot and fired at the tree she had deemed her target, nailing it square in the middle. "Yes!" Robin shouted with an ecstatic fist pump before sheepishly looking around to see if anyone noticed.