PrinceArjuna's Spriteries

PrinceArjuna

So, I've been doing a little spriting lately, so I guess I'll be posting the first batch of them here.

nero_zpsk3yvhoxj.png

My first splice. I name him Nero, or Prince Nero, and his Class is Shadow Lord, which means he can use both swords and dark tomes. If he were to be playable, it's only for the prologue part of the game.

adelene_zpsjkxj5mpp.png

This one is Adelene, or Princess Adelene, Nero's wife, and her Class is Sage. Actually, there's something bothering me about this sprite. Probably her hair...

young%20allen_zpswjx9nswf.png

This is Allen, Nero's and Adelene's son. Actually, pay him no mind. He's just a young Roy's recolor.

allen_zpsqe0kpdeg.png

And here is the older Allen. He's intended to be the main character and the Lord of this hypothetical game of mine. His promoted Class is Shadow Lord, just like his dad. Well, for a Lord, he can only use swords.

sella_zpscl2geil1.png

And this one is Sella, a Cleric. Actually, this particular splice is pretty noticeable and there's something wrong with her shoulders, but I can't exactly put my fingers into it.

More will come soon.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad start to a spriting hobby. You said you thought there were some things that needed fixing on the females, so I'll help you figure it out.

With Adelene, I noticed her hairline is just a straight, shaded line rather than a natural hairline. Look at natural hair. Certain hairs sprout lower or higher on the head than others, so there should be a couple pixels variation in the line to resemble this. Her neck is also unnaturally thin, leaving a large chunk of darker-shaded hair where there needn't be one. Then there's the hair hanging on her POV right side of her face which can't decide if it wants to follow a more curvy (based on the inner contours) or straight (based on the outer shape) route. Go with curved. It's more natural.

With Sella, from her POV, her left shoulder is almost nonexistent, while her right is notably broad.

Not a bad start to a spriting hobby. You said you thought there were some things that needed fixing on the females, so I'll help you figure it out.

With Adelene, I noticed her hairline is just a straight, shaded line rather than a natural hairline. Look at natural hair. Certain hairs sprout lower or higher on the head than others, so there should be a couple pixels variation in the line to resemble this. Her neck is also unnaturally thin, leaving a large chunk of darker-shaded hair where there needn't be one. Then there's the hair hanging on her POV right side of her face which can't decide if it wants to follow a more curvy (based on the inner contours) or straight (based on the outer shape) route. Go with curved. It's more natural.

With Sella, from her POV, her left shoulder is almost nonexistent, while her right is notably broad.

Alright, got it. Thanks.

I'll fix 'em once I finish my job.

Still, discouting that young Roy's recolor, what do you think about the guys?

All-in-all, good, solid splices. I must say this: I normally don't enjoy splices, but these were good enough that I stuck around, so that's saying something. :) Keep it up

Thanks! :)

It's sure nice to get encouragements sometimes...

A definite improvement. I'll see what I can do to help out Adelene later today, assuming you're ok with me editing her a bit

Sure, I'm okay with that. Plus, I like comparing my works with others.

Well, it can sometimes backfire and make me feel inadequate by seeing other works that are much better than mine, but that's besides the point, right?

Eh, I don't consider my stuff all that great. That's actually why I don't have an art-related thread on here. I just know what needs fixing on her so I figured I'd take care of it. Might *sliiiiightly* edit her pallet, too, to get things to flow easier. I think she uses a darker outline than the others?

EDIT: Optical illusions are mindblowing sometimes. Here I thought you had used an FE8 outline on her and FE6/7 on the others. Turns out she used the exact same. Huh. Well, I fixed her up a bit. I'm tired since I didn't get to sleep until 5:00 this morning, so this is far from my best stuff, but anyway, here she is:

2eff4a253e0a35567add8f43a27c2fac.png

Had to do a bit of a forehead transplant from Lucius to make things look better (would have customed it, but again, half-asleep here). Also, a little piece of advice: do NOT mix skin tone pallets. I found out you had after downloading the image. If you want these sprites to be usable in a hack, you have to keep the colors within the limit of 15 (16 if you count BG), and that includes the outline. Mixing skin pallets can easily use up as much as 10 or more of those colors. I did the best I could to fix this as well, but even then, I may have missed a spot or two, but it is largely more consistent now.

Edited by Rethel34

Eh, I don't consider my stuff all that great. That's actually why I don't have an art-related thread on here. I just know what needs fixing on her so I figured I'd take care of it. Might *sliiiiightly* edit her pallet, too, to get things to flow easier. I think she uses a darker outline than the others?

EDIT: Optical illusions are mindblowing sometimes. Here I thought you had used an FE8 outline on her and FE6/7 on the others. Turns out she used the exact same. Huh. Well, I fixed her up a bit. I'm tired since I didn't get to sleep until 5:00 this morning, so this is far from my best stuff, but anyway, here she is:

2eff4a253e0a35567add8f43a27c2fac.png

Had to do a bit of a forehead transplant from Lucius to make things look better (would have customed it, but again, half-asleep here). Also, a little piece of advice: do NOT mix skin tone pallets. I found out you had after downloading the image. If you want these sprites to be usable in a hack, you have to keep the colors within the limit of 15 (16 if you count BG), and that includes the outline. Mixing skin pallets can easily use up as much as 10 or more of those colors. I did the best I could to fix this as well, but even then, I may have missed a spot or two, but it is largely more consistent now.

Whoa, nice! Do you mind if I use your version as her official look?

About not mixing skin tone palettes, I think I got it. It's just that the colors almost look the same and I end up ignoring them entirely. So, do you think the others have mixed skin tone palettes as well?

Edited by PrinceArjuna

Feel free; I made it to help in any way possible after all. ^_^ And I understand it's easy to mix when you're first getting started. The others might, but I haven't really checked. I'll take a look later today and if it is an issue, I can fix it for you. Just be careful on future mugs. :)

Feel free; I made it to help in any way possible after all. ^_^ And I understand it's easy to mix when you're first getting started. The others might, but I haven't really checked. I'll take a look later today and if it is an issue, I can fix it for you. Just be careful on future mugs. :)

Cool!

And now, here's a new sprite, this time, I made sure to not mix the pixels. I only use 16 colors for this (15, excluding the transparent background).

ennis_zpsxvzlrhy9.png

Now, this sprite is named Ennis, and despite her coloration, she's intended to be a myrmidon, but she seems to have a standard set of colors for mages, but... meh. And I do think I have a little problem with shading the purple part. Sleepy...

So, Marisa, Tana . . . oh, sorry. Actually, that's a very interesting coloration for a Myrm. One that could turn out well. I feel like her POV left eye should be not so close to her ear, yet moving it too much could result in a very derpish face . . . Could prolly move it 1-2 pixels toward the center without too much damage but I'm not entirely sure.

So, Marisa, Tana . . . oh, sorry. Actually, that's a very interesting coloration for a Myrm. One that could turn out well. I feel like her POV left eye should be not so close to her ear, yet moving it too much could result in a very derpish face . . . Could prolly move it 1-2 pixels toward the center without too much damage but I'm not entirely sure.

Haha, it's kind of embarrassing to have the spliced parts recognizable even after the splicing. Well, maybe I should try to mix things up for the next ones.