Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released)

SquareRootOfPi

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4eed749f06.png

Carrier has arrived.

Been having a lot of fun with this

No bugs yet, everything's been running smooth

Lex is pretty dang good.

Dang, 20 strength! Someone's playing in the big leagues now!!

Double dang!! That speed seems really above average if I remember Noish's growths right. So much for not being the dodgy cavalier, I guess.

He does. Noish couldn't use it either despite having B Swords, so I guess the KE is foot units only? Odd when the bow is usable by Midale regardless.

I've cleared what I am assuming is the final chapter, but nothing is happening; the boss has been defeated, yet the chapter hasn't ended. Is this intentional? I remember you saying in the original thread that said boss was going to be the final boss in the first release, so I just thought it would be best to ask in case my game isn't messing up

This has been a blast to play through! Here's an album featuring the units I used in the last chapter. I must say, Arden was absolutely amazing. Maybe a little too good? But I can't complain--someone needs to replace Sigurd the Weak as the Heir to Chalphy, and I have a soft spot for Knights

EDIT: Re-read page 2 and noticed my question had already been answered. My mistake

Edited by DodgeDusk

May I give you some small advice?May yu make some chapters like the original FE4----let the map very big,and players can seize three castles in one chapter.and I found some plot are skipped,like chapter 2.(about eltosian break down the enemy).I think these plot will make the story full.So,what about do not skip the other plots like this,please?thank you.

I don't think it's necessary to bloat map size just for that, and personally I don't like in-chapter NPC action that you're isolated from because it costs a lot of time (especially in FE4). However, if these side-events received their own cutscenes I have no problem. A multi-seize map only be good as a climax map or as a similar scenario to FE7's Crazed Beast. Most castle seizes just go from point A to point B or involve substantial backtracking; that's not something I want to do on a regular basis.

Also, can I say that I like the redone stat formulas? I worry that the inflation might cause problems in the long run, but so far it's a solid system and does a lot to emphasize characters' Skill/Luck differences. I also appreciate that you took away the Avoid bonuses from healing terrain (except Gates IIRC).

[spoiler=For he record]Hit = 5*Skill + 2*Luck

Avoid = 2*Speed + 5*Luck - 5*(Speed - Attack Speed)

Crit = Skill

Dodge = 2*Luck

I'm not so certain about the Avoid formula because of how complicated it is, but I think these are correct.

That said, I'm at 2-2 and dreading fighting the two Thieves with 84 Avoid on the way to Shakespeare MacBeth.

That said, I'm at 2-2 and dreading fighting the two Thieves with 84 Avoid on the way to Shakespeare MacBeth.

The fire mage's person skill does wonders against the thieves.

I've cleared what I am assuming is the final chapter, but nothing is happening; the boss has been defeated, yet the chapter hasn't ended. Is this intentional? I remember you saying in the original thread that said boss was going to be the final boss in the first release, so I just thought it would be best to ask in case my game isn't messing up

This has been a blast to play through! Here's an album featuring the units I used in the last chapter. I must say, Arden was absolutely amazing. Maybe a little too good? But I can't complain--someone needs to replace Sigurd the Weak as the Heir to Chalphy, and I have a soft spot for Knights

EDIT: Re-read page 2 and noticed my question had already been answered. My mistake

Nice! Thanks for the pictures, they'll be useful when I start rebalancing the units. If you have any thoughts about the chapters (likes/dislikes) feel free to post about it too!

May I give you some small advice?May yu make some chapters like the original FE4----let the map very big,and players can seize three castles in one chapter.and I found some plot are skipped,like chapter 2.(about eltosian break down the enemy).I think these plot will make the story full.So,what about do not skip the other plots like this,please?thank you.

The problem with large maps in the original game is that you're not really playing on a large map, the game prevents you from visit large sections with NPCs. If I decide to add a large map, it'll be because I can make an interesting map using its size. I am however keeping the possibility of large maps in mind, it just needs a right mix of objectives to work. If you haven't played Chapter 3-3, yet it's an experiment with a large map. It's not as big as FE4's maps but it's pretty large and it plays a bit like FE6's Zephiel map: There's two points you want to visit before beating the boss.

For the missing Eltoshan gaiden, I have plans for a gaiden chapter between 1-3 and 2-1, but I have a few ideas I am testing out before I decide on which one I want to use. All the ideas I have need a lot of playtesting so I didn't have time to add them in the first release.

Also, can I say that I like the redone stat formulas? I worry that the inflation might cause problems in the long run, but so far it's a solid system and does a lot to emphasize characters' Skill/Luck differences. I also appreciate that you took away the Avoid bonuses from healing terrain (except Gates IIRC).

[spoiler=For he record]Hit = 5*Skill + 2*Luck

Avoid = 2*Speed + 5*Luck - 5*(Speed - Attack Speed)

Crit = Skill

Dodge = 2*Luck

I'm not so certain about the Avoid formula because of how complicated it is, but I think these are correct.

I'm glad to see someone notice the new avoid/hit numbers! It took a while to figure out the right balance for both numbers. I don't think gates or thrones have any avoid bonuses either.

Hit is actually just 5*Skill + Luck. Crit and Dodge are correct. As you've noticed, avoid is definitely different! I can say you have half of the formula figured out.

A fun little tidbit about the thieves in 2-2: Until very late (about a few weeks before the release), there were no thieves at the bottom left of the map where you start. I added them there to make sure players would realize they are very dodgy, because there's a fight later in the same chapter that can catch you off guard if you don't realize this.

The AI in Chapter 3-1 is borked. Even when near death, they refuse to use the tons of Vulneraries they have stocked up, making the chapter harder than it needs to be.

That's actually intentional, the vulneraries are supposed to be decorative: it's the supplies they're delivering. I'll change them in a bugfix patch so it's clear they can't heal themselves. If you're having trouble keeping their HP up you can use heal staves, you have exactly 3 staff users you can deploy! Otherwise you should try moving ahead of the convoys and beating the enemies before they can attack, the convoys move very slowly (even compared to Arden!!!) Edited by SquareRootOfPi

I hope Holyn can support with Bridgid, but I'm interested in who Eve will support with. Oh and giving Azel the magic ring is like giving Julia the Narga tome. HE.IS.SO.AWESOME!

Hey man, thanks for making this hack, it is so awesome, I love it, really recreating FE4. Btw, Lex is a Beast, really, he can tank, 1 HKO and even double! http://imgur.com/8MAM54N

Lex with double digit speed??? *shakes head*

I'm kinda stuck here

...Huh. That's an interesting emulator issue. Looks like I need to improve the hack's compatibility with emulators. What emulator is this?

I hope Holyn can support with Bridgid, but I'm interested in who Eve will support with. Oh and giving Azel the magic ring is like giving Julia the Narga tome. HE.IS.SO.AWESOME!

Holyn/Briggid is definitely a guaranteed support! I actually haven't sat down and figured out who to support with Eve yet.

Huge FE4 fan here, just started the game and I'm having loads of fun. Some of the unfinished spritework is understandable wonky, but those that I'm assuming are nearly or completely finished look pretty great. Lex in particular looks amazing, and he just happened to be one of my favorite units from Geneaology. Even if mine hasn't managed to proc his Speed growth once yet. Personally I like the more bite-sized versions of FE4's giant maps, and the maps here still feel pretty grand and like you're fighting a real war, which is one of the main draws of FE4 for me. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see the finished product. Once I finish what you have so far I'll probably drop in with my units and their stats, just wanna help out however I can.

Honestly has a really hard time getting into vanilla FE4, mainly because of the massive maps, which tired me out after 20 minutes. It's a story I've always wanted to get into, and I thank you for making this the way you did so that I don't have to continue punishing myself to get to enjoy this story.