Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released)

SquareRootOfPi

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Arden not have animations even with animation on? He has them against Dimaggio, but I didn't see his animations anywhere else.

Arden only has a lance animation, so if you give him a sword, axe, or bow, there won't be an animation.

Arden? I gather it's just that not every animation is in yet. He does have some though; attack with a lance, and you'll get one. Swords, forget it.

EDIT: Oh hey, ninja'd!

Edited by Wayward Winds

I just downloaded the hack. I haven't played much so far, but I really like Azel's skill!

Great work.

I LOVE YOUR WORK!!! Please keep this up this rom hack is amazing keep up the good work!!!

Huge FE4 fan here, just started the game and I'm having loads of fun. Some of the unfinished spritework is understandable wonky, but those that I'm assuming are nearly or completely finished look pretty great. Lex in particular looks amazing, and he just happened to be one of my favorite units from Geneaology. Even if mine hasn't managed to proc his Speed growth once yet. Personally I like the more bite-sized versions of FE4's giant maps, and the maps here still feel pretty grand and like you're fighting a real war, which is one of the main draws of FE4 for me. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see the finished product. Once I finish what you have so far I'll probably drop in with my units and their stats, just wanna help out however I can.

Honestly has a really hard time getting into vanilla FE4, mainly because of the massive maps, which tired me out after 20 minutes. It's a story I've always wanted to get into, and I thank you for making this the way you did so that I don't have to continue punishing myself to get to enjoy this story.

Thanks for the kind comments! Feel free to post your thoughts as you play through the hack in this thread.

Oh. It kinda sucks that he's almost basically locked to swords during the first parts of this hack.

He starts with a Steel Lance (unless you're giving it away for some reason?) and one of the enemies in the prologue even drops an Iron Bow! (It's not like Midale wants an extra one, anyway...)

She must have died at some point, because that's the generic Princess growths (generic growths are used for units that have died.) I didn't give the Princess class any growths because there aren't any generic NPC princesses. If this is bothersome, I can get a new bugfix patch pushed tomorrow to give her nonzero growths!

Here's a 0.1.3 fix patch!

Here's the link for patching onto a fresh ROM.

Here's the link for patching onto a 0.1.2 ROM.

The patch includes a lot of changes:

Bugfixes:

• The bug with S-ranks becomes -- or E ranks has been fixed.
  • Removed an arena unit that was causing a crash.
  • Lachesis now has growths if you continue using her after she's died.
  • Thrones no longer cure statuses so that Diadora can correctly use her Silence staff of Sandima without looking silly.
  • You can now actually beat 3-3 by seizing the throne. Finally...
  • A bunch of items have updated descriptions to be more precise:
    • The Killing Edge now mentions that only infantry (unmounted units) can use it.
    • Armourslayers and rapiers have their description changed since infantry has a new meaning.
    • Poison weapons now correctly mention what poison does (it reduces stats instead of being lethal.)
  • A bunch of text errors have been fixed (Sigurd is no longer Lycian, a certain village now shows the right visitor, etc.)
Balance changes:
  • Renewal now heals 15 HP per turn instead of 5 HP to give Edain a competitive edge with other healers. Hopefully it won't break her...
  • Speaking of Edain, she's gotten a buff to her stats that will hopefully make her a better healer.
  • Jamka has better skill overall so that he can actually land his shots.
  • Lachesis starts with D Swords and D Staves instead of C/C. She doesn't need the C Swords since she has access to two good PRF weapons, and giving her a C rank in Staves makes her too good compared to Edain. If you've already recruited her, don't worry! She'll keep her ranks.
New content:
  • A new skill has been added: Biorhythm. The unit with Biorhythm gets +5 to Strength, Magic, Skill or Speed depending on what turn it is. It starts with Strength and goes through those stats in that order. Eve gets this skill since I didn't do much balancing with her earlier and she's noticeably weak. Hopefully she gets good mileage out of it!

So here's my team:

Sigurd

noob.png

Surprisingly bad, the main reason why I think he lost his shine is because he's a promoted class with very bad bases and growths, I wish he at least got tier 1 exp and 30 levels...

Noish

noish.png

Still wondering how I haven't let him die yet, he's a glass cannon in every single way, so yeah, I like Noish... sorta... at least he's not as bad as his original self.

Arden

arden.png

Pure beast. He saved my hide so many times, he's just so good, he took half of an army whilst I the rest of my army to take the other half, he's reliable, tanky, and pretty mobile for an armor knight.

Lex

lex.png

Lex, the man who likes to flex, he also checks. (I dunno, I'm white, I suck at rapping) Raw power, also very tanky, also I think he got speed blessed, oh yeah, why does his defense growth suck?

Azel

azel.png

He died, but he's a good unit nevertheless, very fast, strong, dodgy and reliable if you know how to use a mage properly.

Fin

fin.png

I always liked Fin, he's my second favorite cav in the first gen. (the first being obviously Lex)

That Miracle skill is a true miracle, he's also dodgy, making it easy for him to stay on the front lines and taking a hit or two... or three... or four.

Ayra

ayra.png

I think my Ayra got strength blessed, 12 strength for a myrm is pretty awesome, also astra kicks ass... and for some reason she crits at low percentages, is that intentional? Is there a PC system that you coded in somehow?

Dew

dew.png
VERY dodgy, making him a great dodge tank, he also levels up very fast, I like Dew, sol is a pretty useful skill as well.

Edain

edain.png

Pretty standard healer, nothing special to say about her, she's always been like that to me.

Lachesis

lachesis.png

Her death kinda hindered her level-ups, though she is still very solid, I can't wait to see her as a master knight.

Levin

levin.png

Awesome, but not as amazing as he was in the original, there he was the hardest hitter, too bad wind magic is weaker compared to the others.

Sylvia

sylvia.png

Swords dance either saves me, either it kills Sylvia and I have to start over, though I feel like she will be amazing with a magic sword, plus her decent magic and swords dance.

Fury

fury.png

Didn't get too much action, but she's amazing for a pegasus knight.

Now for some stupid things that I found.

dafuq.png

Weaponless Lex

nice_palette.png

The weird palette (the cross knights in Eltoshan's chapter have a weird palette, too, also, why no Earth Sword :( ?)

image.png

Thracia's secret weapon, the text bubble breaker.

wot.png

That's not how the weapon triangle works, it's Wind>Thunder>Fire>Wind, I should be having a disadvantage)

nice.png

Poor Black Fang citizens forced to fight for Shagall... speaking of Shagall...

he_sure_is_the_king_of_himself.png

The almighty and supreme King Shagall of Shagall.

Wow, I've been looking forward to this for over a year. Fantastic work overall, one of (if not THE) best FE hack I've ever played. I love the skill system, the difficulty, the chapter designs, and the small improvements here and there (like the different colored stats for different growth %s). Some points to consider:

• Sigurd should be buffed. Maybe he shouldn't be as OP as he was in the original game, but he's flat-out terrible in this version. Can't double after the first couple chapters, takes forever to level up, and has low growths. Even in terms of story, it doesn't make sense for the "hero" Sigurd to be substantially weaker than half his army.
  • The text is almost flawless in terms of faithfulness to the original, but I've noticed a few "sirs", "lords", and "kings" that weren't capitalized where they should be (e.g. "king Shagall").
  • Is there a way to repair weapons? I've noticed that some broken weapons stay in the inventory with 0 uses, but I haven't figured out what to do with them.
  • Dead characters' items seem to disappear into the abyss instead of returning to storage.
  • The Holy Weapon diagram on the Skills screen seems to be the same for all characters regardless of holy blood.

Do you have a rough timeline for future releases (more chapters, supports, promotions, etc.)?

Is there a way to repair weapons? I've noticed that some broken weapons stay in the inventory with 0 uses, but I haven't figured out what to do with them.

Yeah, at shops and armories. You can "buy" the missing uses of any item from those. Repairing is universal, magic shops will repair weapons and vice versa.

Would you like me to post my units for balancing?

Go ahead!

So here's my team:

Sigurd

noob.png

Surprisingly bad, the main reason why I think he lost his shine is because he's a promoted class with very bad bases and growths, I wish he at least got tier 1 exp and 30 levels...

Noish

noish.png

Still wondering how I haven't let him die yet, he's a glass cannon in every single way, so yeah, I like Noish... sorta... at least he's not as bad as his original self.

Arden

arden.png

Pure beast. He saved my hide so many times, he's just so good, he took half of an army whilst I the rest of my army to take the other half, he's reliable, tanky, and pretty mobile for an armor knight.

Lex

lex.png

Lex, the man who likes to flex, he also checks. (I dunno, I'm white, I suck at rapping) Raw power, also very tanky, also I think he got speed blessed, oh yeah, why does his defense growth suck?

Azel

azel.png

He died, but he's a good unit nevertheless, very fast, strong, dodgy and reliable if you know how to use a mage properly.

Fin

fin.png

I always liked Fin, he's my second favorite cav in the first gen. (the first being obviously Lex)

That Miracle skill is a true miracle, he's also dodgy, making it easy for him to stay on the front lines and taking a hit or two... or three... or four.

Ayra

ayra.png

I think my Ayra got strength blessed, 12 strength for a myrm is pretty awesome, also astra kicks ass... and for some reason she crits at low percentages, is that intentional? Is there a PC system that you coded in somehow?

Dew

dew.png

VERY dodgy, making him a great dodge tank, he also levels up very fast, I like Dew, sol is a pretty useful skill as well.

Edain

edain.png

Pretty standard healer, nothing special to say about her, she's always been like that to me.

Lachesis

lachesis.png

Her death kinda hindered her level-ups, though she is still very solid, I can't wait to see her as a master knight.

Levin

levin.png

Awesome, but not as amazing as he was in the original, there he was the hardest hitter, too bad wind magic is weaker compared to the others.

Sylvia

sylvia.png

Swords dance either saves me, either it kills Sylvia and I have to start over, though I feel like she will be amazing with a magic sword, plus her decent magic and swords dance.

Fury

fury.png

Didn't get too much action, but she's amazing for a pegasus knight.

Now for some stupid things that I found.

dafuq.png

Weaponless Lex

nice_palette.png

The weird palette (the cross knights in Eltoshan's chapter have a weird palette, too, also, why no Earth Sword :( ?)

image.png

Thracia's secret weapon, the text bubble breaker.

wot.png

That's not how the weapon triangle works, it's Wind>Thunder>Fire>Wind, I should be having a disadvantage)

nice.png

Poor Black Fang citizens forced to fight for Shagall... speaking of Shagall...

he_sure_is_the_king_of_himself.png

The almighty and supreme King Shagall of Shagall.

Thanks for the feedback and bug reports!
  • Sigurd definitely needs his buffs to stay competitive. I just need to add in the system I have planned for him...
  • Looks like your Lex got an interesting stat spread. His defense growth is at the border between grey and white (35%) which is slightly worse than Arden.
  • I think you're just getting lucky with crits with Ayra. She does have a good crit rate even with Iron Swords (yours should have 26 base crit) so against low luck units she should be good.

Hm... how is the Valkyrie Staff going to work?

This video covers the Valkyrie staff, although don't expect it to have 5 uses in the release.

Wow, I've been looking forward to this for over a year. Fantastic work overall, one of (if not THE) best FE hack I've ever played. I love the skill system, the difficulty, the chapter designs, and the small improvements here and there (like the different colored stats for different growth %s). Some points to consider:

• Sigurd should be buffed. Maybe he shouldn't be as OP as he was in the original game, but he's flat-out terrible in this version. Can't double after the first couple chapters, takes forever to level up, and has low growths. Even in terms of story, it doesn't make sense for the "hero" Sigurd to be substantially weaker than half his army.
  • The text is almost flawless in terms of faithfulness to the original, but I've noticed a few "sirs", "lords", and "kings" that weren't capitalized where they should be (e.g. "king Shagall").
  • Is there a way to repair weapons? I've noticed that some broken weapons stay in the inventory with 0 uses, but I haven't figured out what to do with them.
  • Dead characters' items seem to disappear into the abyss instead of returning to storage.
  • The Holy Weapon diagram on the Skills screen seems to be the same for all characters regardless of holy blood.
Do you have a rough timeline for future releases (more chapters, supports, promotions, etc.)?
  • Sigurd will get a few buffs in the next "major" release where I add in a few missing features I didn't have time to balance, like supports.
  • I have not been very thorough with the consistency of titles, so thanks for bringing that to my attention!
  • Like the person who quoted you said, every shop will repair items for you. They're always at the end of the list after the items they sell.
  • Once I start cleaning up the substitute parent system, the inventory will be sent to storage properly.
  • Yeah, it's entirely a placeholder for now. I don't think it's a perfect setup yet so it'll probably change in the future.
The goal over the rest of the year is to get some supports online and some rebalancing (mostly the experience curve). Promotions will definitely be in by the second major release, and they might show up in an update patch in the future.

The plans for the rest of the game is to release three more major patches; 0.2 will cover all the way to the end of the first generation, and a bit of the second generation so players can play around in it. 0.3 will probably cover about halfway through generation 2, and 0.4 will cover the remaining chapters (so it'll officially be 1.0.) Based on the current progress I would expect at least two years for each major release. 0.3 and 0.4 may take a bit longer because I have a lot of things to do to properly set it up.

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pi, I have been following this patch courtesy of the LP by Mageknight404, and I think it is pretty great! There is one question I have, though. In regards to the growths of Sigurd and Cuan, would it be unrealistic to keep them with the current bases but give them very superior growths, akin to the likes of Wolf/Sedgar from FE11 (or of course to a lesser extent, if those are too high)? I am currently unsure of how far units will get in promotion before Gen 1 is over, and I almost feel like with the slow EXP gain the two have that this may balance them quite well with the others by the end of Gen 1. Of course, I understand that this could mess with inheritance growth formulas and make their offspring too strong, but at the same time their children were quite powerful anyway, and at least the two have pre-set pairings so you cannot spread around the amazing growths outside 3 characters who are meant to grow well. Just a suggestion, and I am sure you will find some sort of great balancing mechanic regardless!

I've been informed recently that MageKnight404 has an Let's Play of this hack, so I added a link to it under the Media section in the first post. It's been enjoyable to watch so far (I'm at the 4th video currently), so have a gander! I'm also giving some developer commentary in the comments of his videos as I watch the videos, if you're interested in some behind the scenes notes.

Hey Pi, I have been following this patch courtesy of the LP by Mageknight404, and I think it is pretty great! There is one question I have, though. In regards to the growths of Sigurd and Cuan, would it be unrealistic to keep them with the current bases but give them very superior growths, akin to the likes of Wolf/Sedgar from FE11 (or of course to a lesser extent, if those are too high)? I am currently unsure of how far units will get in promotion before Gen 1 is over, and I almost feel like with the slow EXP gain the two have that this may balance them quite well with the others by the end of Gen 1. Of course, I understand that this could mess with inheritance growth formulas and make their offspring too strong, but at the same time their children were quite powerful anyway, and at least the two have pre-set pairings so you cannot spread around the amazing growths outside 3 characters who are meant to grow well. Just a suggestion, and I am sure you will find some sort of great balancing mechanic regardless!

I think adjusting growths will be a last resort type of fix. I have a few ideas to test out first, with the current plan to help Sigurd and Cuan is to have supports shore up their low bases since I can have them give stat boosts. There are some other alternatives I'm considering as well, like changing to the classic FE4 system and just preserving levels across promotions (thus giving Sigurd/Cuan regular experience gains), although I'd need to tone them down a bit in that case.

In any case I'm glad to see you care enough about the issue to post about it!