Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released)

SquareRootOfPi

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, so I got Kruge instead of Holyn. How is that determind exactly?

The fight you get at the arena depends on who you send, but each character gets fixed fights, e.g. Sigurd always fights Holyn as the third arena fight. Right now there are only four characters that can get Kruge as the third arena fight, if anyone's curious. Edited by SquareRootOfPi

Whew! Finally finished recording the last map on my end.

First off, thanks for giving my LP your support and providing dev comments, Pi, that really means a lot to me!

I had a lot of fun with this, no doubt. It's clear that you put a great deal of effort into it and made sure to give the gameplay a nice solid rubdown with elbow grease. From a fellow FE4 fan I definitely felt right at home playing this and appreciate playing it with the GBA engine's bells and whistles. I like a lot of the additions added, some may contest the amount of liberties being taken here, but I embrace these wholeheartedly. You already had to take a big change in scope due to an engine change, but man does it feel good to be able to relive some FE4 without the cumbersome restrictions of the original like not being able to trade or having to scale the super huge maps.

My only real complaint is the enemy density at times gets a bit out of hand considering that you can't field everyone at once this time, notably in 2-1 and 3-3. By 3-3 I felt there was so much bloat that I sorta lost track of myself. I feel that it's at more or less the right amount in the rest of the maps, though. Other than that, nothing else really stood out!

Here's my final team:

FE%20IV_01_zpsk5r93zsl.png

Siggy did well at the start but started to taper off quite a bit near the end, with only the Knight Sword keeping him relevant. But I know this is not a new issue to you so moving on.

FE%20IV_06_zpsw0n1trk9.png

Once my boy Finn got some levels going he found his niche real quick. Had accurate and reliable damage output and towards the end only had a scant chance of actually fearing death.

FE%20IV_09_zpshstiwt48.png

Bless you, Arden, you are no longer the odd man out of Siggy's team. He was very strong and adaptable despite his lack of movement, and Toughness helped him tank phys hits well.

FE%20IV_05_zpshrtnf5oy.png

Kars, the destroyer! ...Until Ch. 2, then he hit the same wall Sigurd did. Lamentations...

FE%20IV_07_zpsfukzpxy0.png

Esdidi, the goddess! So happy that her growths aren't garbage in this, she tore up any bandit and fighter that looked at her weird.

FE%20IV_08_zps3vp80aqb.png

Scary how decent Dew still was despite his poor Strength. Great dodge tank and love the implementation of Sol.

FE%20IV_10_zps3f3zqzmp.png

Awaken, my Lady Raquesis. Th Ares cuff really turned her into a dangerous combat unit. I look forward to seeing her class change with bated breath.

FE%20IV_12_zpsxvzwo5w7.png

Her righteous Fury swept away most dudes who tried to hit her and grew very well. Feels good having a Pegasus Knight with good base stats.

FE%20IV_11_zpsd6afdxac.png

I dunno who Kruge is but he ain't got shit on my boy Holyn. He got the 2-2 stat power boost and turned into a wrecking ball afterward. I think Luna's implementation could be better though, right now it's very situational.

FE%20IV_13_zpsdgeyzffa.png

Gust of Wind Dance. Wish he had gotten some more Magic though.

FE%20IV_03_zpsnu4ohc4f.png

Quartercircle foward + Punch! Meleeing with fire never felt so good.

FE%20IV_04_zpskqgnpgwp.png

The butt of jokes on longer! Giving him that Speed Ring was the best decision I made in my run. Dodged and doubled nearly everything with just a dinky Iron Bow. He is a true god.

FE%20IV_14_zpseacz5aiv.pngFE%20IV_15_zpsqmegcdwd.png

aaaand these two were filler.

I am saddened that I wasn't able to be able to use my jam Tiltyu before the end, but hopefully she won't disappoint me! Also looking forward to seeing Mahnya and if you have any plans for her before she goes off into the Underwhere.

Thanks for a good time, Pi! Hope your progress goes smoothly for the next beta!

Nice! Enemy density is definitely an issue that needs to be worked on, and having footage will help narrow issues down a lot. It looks like I might need to nerf Ethlin, Lachesis, Holyn and Fury but I'll have to wait until I implement a new experience formula to fix the level inflation issue. The team combo is also good for balancing, as the units you've benched are usually the ones that are staples in my own playtests.

So Kruge and Holyn are mutually exclusive? Good to know I wasn't missing anything not going past round 3 in the arena.

Kruge's personal is situational, but when the situation comes up, goddamn does he take advantage of it

Hey just a minor thing of no real consequence, just something I picked up on. Is Eve's gender actually mentioned anywhere in FE4? Japanese is a language that's a lot less specific with gender pronouns in the first place, so it could be a non-issue, but both of the wikis (not a reputable source, I'm aware) refer to them as a 'he,' whereas you seem to do the opposite. Chances are there's nothing officially stated one way or the other, leaving us only to go off on their character art which is pretty much the generic 'dude' clothes for FE4 characters.

Though I prefer the idea of her being a cool-ass lady paladin, it's just something I noticed.

Just finished a run of the hack, decided to actually remember to screenshot my final team this time! Some thoughts about the hack in general and the aforementioned squad 'neath the Spoiler.

[spoiler=Johan When]

First and foremost I'm absolutely in love with this hack. It's nice to be able to re-experience FE4 without making as huge of a commitment and having it in a generally more "bite-sized" fashion. It's a lot easier to pick up and play, in any case. I'm a huge Jugdral fanboy so I have a handful of things that were changed that I'd rather have not been, but that's not really so much an issue with the hack itself as it is with my rampant bias, so it's not really worth going into detail. I had a lot of fun and am eagerly awaiting future patches. The mug sprites that are finished/nearing completion are absolutely beautiful and so are many of the custom animations. There's just no question about how much love and effort went into this hack, and that's something I really admire.

Anyway, onto the team;

brFXZfq.png

This is Sigurd. He sure is Sigurd, in this hack. You've gotten enough of an earful about him, I'm sure.

84rO9f4.png

Azel's great! I adore his personal skill, how it encourages sticking to his native element and what have you. He's good at what he does. He nukes things, and he does it twice pretty often. It's an admirable level of specialization.

vO6BD1p.png

Noish is fantastic, no two ways about it. He's not particularly lacking in any major stat, he's got a horse and two weapon types, and a downright fantastic personal skill. You can't go wrong with this guy, really.

JZXj8Yo.png

Congrats, Pi. You turned a walking (or... slowly stumbling) joke into an unstoppable juggernaut, provided nothing sparkly and wizardly comes his way. I like what you did with the ol' dude, needless to say. He has a couple very specific jobs, and he does them with no problem.

PtbUnJs.png

Jamka's an archer, he arches with extreme prejudice. I had my second thoughts about rolling with him over Midir in this run on occasion, but in the long run I'm happy with what I got. He hits things, he crits things, and he shits on everything! (... as long as they're not adjacent.)

hncMFZc.png

Lex is the fucking man. He could've gotten empty level-ups the entire way through and I still would've used him because I fucking love this guy. He did his job well this run, I didn't expect much from the speed growth, but was always holding out hope for a bit more. He hits like a truck and can take blows almost as well as he can dish 'em out. The personal skill is great, and saved my ass more times than I can count with a clutch insta-kill.

RPROWWW.png

I probably could've used ol' Memeadon Girl more often, but I didn't. She played a significant enough role, and cleaned shirtless ruffians right the fuck up once I set her up with the Lady Sword, she was basically untouchable for any asshole who thought he could just walk right up with an axe and step to her.

3s6RPyP.png

You have no idea how excited I was to use Eve once I saw her new skill. I'm already in love with Light Magic and mounted units, and having a gambling skill is right up my alley. I don't have much to say other than I was extremely biased for her and wanted to see her be really good. She's solid in about every stat, and generally a really fun unit to use. I can't wait to see if she ever gets casting animations. I set her up with the Florid Opal for bonus random stat-boosting shenanigans, and it was a grand ol' time. One thing that struck me as a bit odd is the odd rust color her battle sprite was, considering what a vibrant red her hair and eyes are. I guess she can't look too much like an enemy unit, huh?

fDBJ0vz.png

Hi Kruge. He wasn't as balls-to-the-walls as some of the Holyns in this thread, but he's solid in all his most important stats, and having a B rank lance user after I decided I wasn't going to use Fin helped me out a lot. His personal skill isn't the best out there, and it's pretty heavily situational, but it's a neat novelty for the character. I wish I got to use it more, but things just didn't turn out that way.

a6rYwHc.png

Ethlin was my staffbot of choice, by virtue of having a horse. She didn't see much combat as a result, and wound up handing her sword over to Ayra, but she was still an invaluable member of the team I would've been completely lost without.

aaPJmVI.png

I don't think there's much I can say about Fury, really. She's the only flier I got my hands on, and she did her flier thing really well. She made a lot of clutch rescues, and... y'know, flier stuff. Solid character overall.

mY97xl4.png

This is Sylvia. She's a dancer. She dances. Sword Dance is really goddamn cool, though. Digging the custom animations so far, too.

JkGQm7m.png

Beo Boy here was a last-minute addition to the final chapter team. He performed very well considering it was the first time I ever fielded him after being recruited, and I'm in love with his in-battle palette. It's very plain, but it fits a simple guy like Beowulf. I've always been fond of the character, but wasn't really considering using him as a full-time member on the team. That might change next time, though.

TXjvMnm.png

Back-up healer for the final few chapters, as well as providing that all-important veil and getting Eltshan the fuck out of my face. I didn't use her much, so I don't have much of an opinion. Ended up giving her the Thief Knife for a while, though. That was pretty fun when I could actually get her in there. She's a great character, just not one I felt like using here.

8lCFYIV.png

Oh hey, Dew. He, uh, opened chests and doors. That's really about it. I kind of neglected him early on and it was all downhill from there until I needed to pop open some boxes.

Edited by Dollar

Hay there! just wanted to say that this hack of FE IV to gba style is awesome! it really gives the FE IV snes feel in gba modern format :)

the new skills for the enemies and chars is great like fe iv on snes.

I'm still playing through it, haven't beaten it to the end of the current patch, but I'm liking it so far, the music form fe iv snes to gba style to superb :)

looking forward to the next patch

So here is my final team. I have to note that Alec really fell off badly for me. He couldn't deal a lot of damage and was costantly getting hit, so I had to drop him.

qJMN4qg.png

Sigurd's bad. He only does one big chunk of damage and then dies if he doesn't have the Knight Sword. Parry is, like, the best skill.

2QvQOMD.png

Noish is pretty goddamn amazing. His skill is great and he kills everything either in one turn or by getting a critical hit. He also is durable enough where having him fight accurate opponents is a good idea.

qNbfJjC.png

Lex is god.

0SZQe0G.png

Azel's great too.

D3Kobzi.png

I'm honestly surprised Midale isn't shit for once. I really like his skill, it helps him keep up with Jamka.

p1I442w.png

Myrmidon.

hifVHje.png

I'm so glad that Miracle always works. Edain is really useful, especially with Aegis Ring and Renewal. Top tier skill combo.

UwmESCl.png

I've always loved archers and Jamka is no exception. Bloodthirst is great to taking out the wounded.

kPkBFMx.png

He lagged behind a first, but Fin really shined through with Miracle, though he wasn't as capable as Noish.

WbfWMuq.png

Her strength is abysmal, but I enjoyed the idea of having effective weapons make up for her lacking in physical strength. I can't wait to promote her to Master Knight.

3srDV5D.png

One thing that I feel you've done excellently is give everyone a unique reason to be used, especially mages and magic, since they tend to all have the same niche normally.

fIursY0.png

Fury is great, wouldn't change anything about her, except maybe a slightly better strength rate.

378GT5M.png

God, Arden. What you did with him REALLY made him great. The only issue I really had is that he falls behind everyone else with his bad movement, so eventually I replaced him. Excellent for holding up the rear and baiting bosses.

Hey just a minor thing of no real consequence, just something I picked up on. Is Eve's gender actually mentioned anywhere in FE4? Japanese is a language that's a lot less specific with gender pronouns in the first place, so it could be a non-issue, but both of the wikis (not a reputable source, I'm aware) refer to them as a 'he,' whereas you seem to do the opposite. Chances are there's nothing officially stated one way or the other, leaving us only to go off on their character art which is pretty much the generic 'dude' clothes for FE4 characters.

Though I prefer the idea of her being a cool-ass lady paladin, it's just something I noticed.

I'm not sure what the original script says, but Eve does talk about his brothers in the translation, so I assume they're actually male (unless the japanese somehow refers to their sibling status without genders...)

The main reasons Eve is a lady now is twofold:

One - There aren't a lot of women with more military roles in the story, so changing the genders of some minor characters helps,

Two - I wanted Eve to be playable, and the gender ratio for playable characters *does* matter given FE4's major gameplay mechanic. There's already 13 male characters and only 7 female characters for that, so making Eve a lady is the better option.

Just finished a run of the hack, decided to actually remember to screenshot my final team this time! Some thoughts about the hack in general and the aforementioned squad 'neath the Spoiler.

First and foremost I'm absolutely in love with this hack. It's nice to be able to re-experience FE4 without making as huge of a commitment and having it in a generally more "bite-sized" fashion. It's a lot easier to pick up and play, in any case. I'm a huge Jugdral fanboy so I have a handful of things that were changed that I'd rather have not been, but that's not really so much an issue with the hack itself as it is with my rampant bias, so it's not really worth going into detail. I had a lot of fun and am eagerly awaiting future patches. The mug sprites that are finished/nearing completion are absolutely beautiful and so are many of the custom animations. There's just no question about how much love and effort went into this hack, and that's something I really admire.

Anyway, onto the team;

brFXZfq.png

This is Sigurd. He sure is Sigurd, in this hack. You've gotten enough of an earful about him, I'm sure.

84rO9f4.png

Azel's great! I adore his personal skill, how it encourages sticking to his native element and what have you. He's good at what he does. He nukes things, and he does it twice pretty often. It's an admirable level of specialization.

vO6BD1p.png

Noish is fantastic, no two ways about it. He's not particularly lacking in any major stat, he's got a horse and two weapon types, and a downright fantastic personal skill. You can't go wrong with this guy, really.

JZXj8Yo.png

Congrats, Pi. You turned a walking (or... slowly stumbling) joke into an unstoppable juggernaut, provided nothing sparkly and wizardly comes his way. I like what you did with the ol' dude, needless to say. He has a couple very specific jobs, and he does them with no problem.

PtbUnJs.png

Jamka's an archer, he arches with extreme prejudice. I had my second thoughts about rolling with him over Midir in this run on occasion, but in the long run I'm happy with what I got. He hits things, he crits things, and he shits on everything! (... as long as they're not adjacent.)

hncMFZc.png

Lex is the fucking man. He could've gotten empty level-ups the entire way through and I still would've used him because I fucking love this guy. He did his job well this run, I didn't expect much from the speed growth, but was always holding out hope for a bit more. He hits like a truck and can take blows almost as well as he can dish 'em out. The personal skill is great, and saved my ass more times than I can count with a clutch insta-kill.

RPROWWW.png

I probably could've used ol' Memeadon Girl more often, but I didn't. She played a significant enough role, and cleaned shirtless ruffians right the fuck up once I set her up with the Lady Sword, she was basically untouchable for any asshole who thought he could just walk right up with an axe and step to her.

3s6RPyP.png

You have no idea how excited I was to use Eve once I saw her new skill. I'm already in love with Light Magic and mounted units, and having a gambling skill is right up my alley. I don't have much to say other than I was extremely biased for her and wanted to see her be really good. She's solid in about every stat, and generally a really fun unit to use. I can't wait to see if she ever gets casting animations. I set her up with the Florid Opal for bonus random stat-boosting shenanigans, and it was a grand ol' time. One thing that struck me as a bit odd is the odd rust color her battle sprite was, considering what a vibrant red her hair and eyes are. I guess she can't look too much like an enemy unit, huh?

fDBJ0vz.png

Hi Kruge. He wasn't as balls-to-the-walls as some of the Holyns in this thread, but he's solid in all his most important stats, and having a B rank lance user after I decided I wasn't going to use Fin helped me out a lot. His personal skill isn't the best out there, and it's pretty heavily situational, but it's a neat novelty for the character. I wish I got to use it more, but things just didn't turn out that way.

a6rYwHc.png

Ethlin was my staffbot of choice, by virtue of having a horse. She didn't see much combat as a result, and wound up handing her sword over to Ayra, but she was still an invaluable member of the team I would've been completely lost without.

aaPJmVI.png

I don't think there's much I can say about Fury, really. She's the only flier I got my hands on, and she did her flier thing really well. She made a lot of clutch rescues, and... y'know, flier stuff. Solid character overall.

mY97xl4.png

This is Sylvia. She's a dancer. She dances. Sword Dance is really goddamn cool, though. Digging the custom animations so far, too.

JkGQm7m.png

Beo Boy here was a last-minute addition to the final chapter team. He performed very well considering it was the first time I ever fielded him after being recruited, and I'm in love with his in-battle palette. It's very plain, but it fits a simple guy like Beowulf. I've always been fond of the character, but wasn't really considering using him as a full-time member on the team. That might change next time, though.

TXjvMnm.png

Back-up healer for the final few chapters, as well as providing that all-important veil and getting Eltshan the fuck out of my face. I didn't use her much, so I don't have much of an opinion. Ended up giving her the Thief Knife for a while, though. That was pretty fun when I could actually get her in there. She's a great character, just not one I felt like using here.

8lCFYIV.png

Oh hey, Dew. He, uh, opened chests and doors. That's really about it. I kind of neglected him early on and it was all downhill from there until I needed to pop open some boxes.

That is one buff Noish! I'm also impressed you managed to get that many levels on Eve, dang.

I,uh... also didn't realize I forgot to lock the Thief Sword properly. Oops...

Hay there! just wanted to say that this hack of FE IV to gba style is awesome! it really gives the FE IV snes feel in gba modern format :)

the new skills for the enemies and chars is great like fe iv on snes.

I'm still playing through it, haven't beaten it to the end of the current patch, but I'm liking it so far, the music form fe iv snes to gba style to superb :)

looking forward to the next patch

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I look forward to hearing your feedback when you're done with it.

So here is my final team. I have to note that Alec really fell off badly for me. He couldn't deal a lot of damage and was costantly getting hit, so I had to drop him.

qJMN4qg.png

Sigurd's bad. He only does one big chunk of damage and then dies if he doesn't have the Knight Sword. Parry is, like, the best skill.

2QvQOMD.png

Noish is pretty goddamn amazing. His skill is great and he kills everything either in one turn or by getting a critical hit. He also is durable enough where having him fight accurate opponents is a good idea.

qNbfJjC.png

Lex is god.

0SZQe0G.png

Azel's great too.

D3Kobzi.png

I'm honestly surprised Midale isn't shit for once. I really like his skill, it helps him keep up with Jamka.

p1I442w.png

Myrmidon.

hifVHje.png

I'm so glad that Miracle always works. Edain is really useful, especially with Aegis Ring and Renewal. Top tier skill combo.

UwmESCl.png

I've always loved archers and Jamka is no exception. Bloodthirst is great to taking out the wounded.

kPkBFMx.png

He lagged behind a first, but Fin really shined through with Miracle, though he wasn't as capable as Noish.

WbfWMuq.png

Her strength is abysmal, but I enjoyed the idea of having effective weapons make up for her lacking in physical strength. I can't wait to promote her to Master Knight.

3srDV5D.png

One thing that I feel you've done excellently is give everyone a unique reason to be used, especially mages and magic, since they tend to all have the same niche normally.

fIursY0.png

Fury is great, wouldn't change anything about her, except maybe a slightly better strength rate.

378GT5M.png

God, Arden. What you did with him REALLY made him great. The only issue I really had is that he falls behind everyone else with his bad movement, so eventually I replaced him. Excellent for holding up the rear and baiting bosses.

Nice! That's a really interesting Azel, usually he ends up being high speed/low skill. Levin's also in the same boat... how did he get more magic than skill...

If you don't mind, can you get a screenshot of Alec too? I'm curious as to what kind of stats he has if he's falling off that badly.

I,uh... also didn't realize I forgot to lock the Thief Sword properly. Oops...

Hey, you don't see me complaining! Happy to help, though.

Yeah, though, I wanted you to get some good data on Eve because I super dig her personal skill and ability to use Light Magic, and hadn't seen anyone else even entertain the idea of using her in the thread. She was overall a really fun unit to use, I'd definitely recommend people who haven't yet to give her a chance.

Speaking of, do you have any interesting events or somesuch planned for ol' Kruge? He's not a bad unit by any stretch, but I don't quite see many people giving up the classic Hol for him as it stands now.

[spoiler=Question about 3-2]No reinforcements spawn if you kill Eltshan. Is this an intentional reward for killing a hard boss? Because I can skip out on fighting the Thracian Knights since the castle is unguarded. Also he's got a boss battle theme.

Edited by Guy in a Chair Man

I have been meaning to ask for basically a favor or maybe just a reccomendation. If possible could you make it So Altenna dual wields the Gungnir and Gae Bolg for the final part? Kinda like how One should've at the end of Radiant Dawn I feel Altenna definitely would've dual wielded the two. Heck I would make the custom animation for ya if you would do it So we can have the thing that kinda should've happened in fe 4. Thank you for the reccomendation, Joker

I have been meaning to ask for basically a favor or maybe just a reccomendation. If possible could you make it So Altenna dual wields the Gungnir and Gae Bolg for the final part? Kinda like how One should've at the end of Radiant Dawn I feel Altenna definitely would've dual wielded the two. Heck I would make the custom animation for ya if you would do it So we can have the thing that kinda should've happened in fe 4. Thank you for the reccomendation, Joker

I have been meaning to ask for basically a favor or maybe just a recommendation. If possible could you make it So Altenna dual wields the Gungnir and Gae Bolg for the final part? Kinda like how One should've at the end of Radiant Dawn I feel Altenna definitely would've dual wielded the two. Heck I would make the custom animation for ya if you would do it So we can have the thing that kinda should've happened in fe 4. Thank you for the recommendation, Joker

Altena only has Noba blood. She can only use the Gaebolg. I doubt Pi will mess up the entire settings just to make her badass. Besides, why we just Altena? Y want fucking Arion in MY party Also, great hack Pi: I'm in love with it, keep the good work!!!

Edited by ronlyn

The Light Brand doesn't seem to account for any bonuses for the attack calculation.

Here's Ethlyn.

isngRWO.png

Here's an enemy Pirate.

KrzbUcM.png

11 Mag + 9 Mt - 1 Res = 19 Attack. Which is correct.

pLjVTTi.png

Gave Ethlyn the magic ring.

BxsmRdS.png

Attacking the same pirate should yield:

11 Mag + 3 from Magic ring + 9 Mt - 1 Res = 22 Attack

Vuv61vY.png

But it ends up being the same damage without the magic ring.