Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released)

SquareRootOfPi

12 hours ago, tirnanog said:

I know I'm way late and this has probably long been abandoned, but I just wanna say thank you. I'm a massive FE4 fan and this is not only an amazing, high quality remake but it manages to refresh the game while still feeling faithful. I'm on chapter 2 now and genuinely enjoying everything. Thanks a bunch, OP. Really. 

It's not long abandoned, he gave a post on September 1st of this year mentioning a Halloween update. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello once again, it is the time of year for updates. As is the occasional tradition, I've made a video showing off the latest progress, although this one is only focused on the graphics. Give it a watch, and then come back for the rest of the update.

I hope you enjoyed the eight new work in progress portraits shown off! As the video title hints, these are (almost) all bosses from the original game. Of course, if you have a keen eye, you may notice that one of the characters is not actually a boss! That person will in fact be a new playable character, filling in for the lack of axe users.

Now, let's talk about some low-key but important gameplay changes going forward. The first is the introduction of "rusted weapons". One thing that's been worrying me in the back of my mind while working on this project is whether or not the player will ever end up in an unwinnable state. And with the repair feature, there's always the possibility that someone mismanages their funds and ends up in a situation where they have no weapons or money to buy weapons! (This has happened on someone's FE6 playthrough. Names will be withheld.) To handle this situation, the game will try to detect when you're low on money and weapons, and if you happen to be in the danger zone, you will receive a bundle of weapons free of charge! Of course, these weapons are not worth much, so don't bother selling them in an attempt to earn money.

The next change is the removal of the Restore staff. At a glance this might sound like a controversial change, but there will still be ways of curing status effects in the game. The main reason for removing the Restore staff is that it's not a very interesting item, since you only deploy it for narrow situations. Instead, healing staves will now (tentatively) act as Restore staves if the affected unit is at full health. This is still undergoing testing, so it might not stick in the long run but I believe it's a push in the right direction.

Another major change added is giving mercenaries (and heroes) waterwalking. This change is mainly to aid map design; having pirates as the only waterwalking option means there's little variety when it comes to adding seabound reinforcements. Having mercenaries as an option should shake things up a bit, and yes, this means that in future releases, Holyn will be able to swim.

To cap off the update, the Swiftspear has been changed to give the Astra skill to the wielder, instead of Clarity. It turns out that very few lance users in the game actually benefit from having +20 avoid, and having it give Astra instead gives some incentive to tweak their inventories to make the most of it.

Thanks for reading!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've played and beaten 3-3 and ive really enjoyed this game/hack so far my only real issue is chapter 1-1 with kinbois, if you .could get rid of the steel axe he uses as the hand-axe he has was the only one I could find in the game and I lost it be.cause he targeted Arden with it. It was kind of annoying to not have a ranged option for lex, but that's just a peeve of Mine. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, AsherCrane said:

Yep! Last update was Halloween, with no mention of stopping. 

thanks man, i really like the look of it, the best facests of the old-school shozo kaga stuff and the gba games, i'm not very good with code but anything I can do to help, i'm game

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. For this year's April update I present to you the sequel to the Barhara Anime Club featuring Sigurd and Diadora. This shows off a new mechanical change to the game that at first glance may seem simple, but took some time to set up under the hood:

If the video wasn't clear about what the new mechanic is, I'll explain it here: The game now supports limited inventory in shops! Shops are now able to carry specific items that can only be bought once, on top of items that can be bought repeatedly and items that can be repaired. There is still some minor work left to make it clear what category the items fall under, but the functionality is fully working (and let me fix some minor bugs that repairing introduced.) As you might expect, this will open up some new options when it comes to adjusting the power curve of the game.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to add for this update. I may write a summer update if I have something interesting to show off then, but otherwise I will see you in October. Thanks for your patience!

On 11/4/2018 at 3:52 PM, WyvernRiderKeon101 said:

If I may ask, how is the lovers system gonna work? 

The lovers system will be implemented using the existing support system, similar to how the modern 3DS Fire Emblem games have handled them.

On 11/23/2018 at 6:29 PM, Pengaius said:

Well I've played and beaten 3-3 and ive really enjoyed this game/hack so far my only real issue is chapter 1-1 with kinbois, if you .could get rid of the steel axe he uses as the hand-axe he has was the only one I could find in the game and I lost it be.cause he targeted Arden with it. It was kind of annoying to not have a ranged option for lex, but that's just a peeve of Mine. 

Haha, the goal of the Kinbois chapter is that you need to kill Kinbois without letting him attack your units to get the handaxe. Now that the new shop mechanic is implemented, however, I will likely add some handaxes in later shops.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, VGeodash said:

Are there any indications in which we know 2 characters are in love? I can't seem to see any.

There will likely be something once I begin integrating supports.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:17 AM, Tribute said:

Is this done and being polished or are some chapters not done yet?

Currently, the chapters cover about 25% of the original game content.

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

On 2/4/2016 at 3:33 AM, SquareRootOfPi said:

Download v0.1.3 here!

Dropbox mirror link

If you've patched 0.1.2 and want to apply the patch directly, you can use this.
Note: There is only a patch from 0.1.2 to 0.1.3. You cannot patch earlier versions to 0.1.2.

Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade is a GBA Hack of Fire Emblem 7 (US) remaking the classic game Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War. It aims to be a new take on an old classic, changing features from the original as necessary, yet trying to stay faithful to the source material. Version 0.1 contains 10 chapters of content (of varying quality), with lots of features to help (or challenge???) budding tacticians.

Note that the chapters are sectioned differently from the original game; If you've played Fire Emblem 4 before then the content of this release covers everything up to about two-thirds through Chapter 3. (This is roughly 25% of the game if you haven't played it before.)

The patch can be applied using NUPS or Tsukiyomi. If you use a Mac, you can also try Multipatch. Apply the patch to a clean ROM of Fire Emblem 7 US edition.

Important note about Emulator choice
Apparently, no$gba has a unique bug with this ROM. (scroll down this page for more details.) If you choose to use no$gba, please be aware of this.

chvNrE3.png

Older versions

• Version 0.1.3 bugfix and content update. This fixes several minor bugs and tweaks the balance of Eve, Lachesis, Jamka and Edain. It also adds a new skill, Biorhythm, for Eve.
  • Version 0.1.2 bugfix. This fixes two major bugs: Arden breaking the arena, and the Knight Sword not being properly locked to Sigurd. It also does some minor text bugfixes.
  • Version 0.1.1 bugfix. This fixes an important bug regard Ointments (they will destroy other items in your inventory when they run out of uses.)
  • Version 0.1 April 2016 release. Note that this patch contains a serious bug with Ointments. Use the 0.1.1 release instead.
  • Version 0.a April 2014 release. This is a fully playable single chapter joke release.

Features

• 24 playable characters!
  • A skill system with 20 different skills to try out!
  • Over a dozen new items with unique effects!
  • Familiar music from Fire Emblem 4, adapted for the GBA, and music from other sources!
  • HP bar display on the minimap, as well as additional flashing tips!

Credits

Serenes Forest:
Fire Emblem 4 Resources, including a reference translation and world map.

The Fire Emblem Hacking community for the following resources:
Antihuffman code
Fire Emblem Nightmare Modules
GBA Graphics Viewer
Tiled Map Inserter

The following playtesters:
Xenesis Xenon
DisgruntledFerret
Blastinus
Artix
Onmi

Music:
Fire Emblem 4 Sountrack
Getsufuu Maden

Notes

There are a few cosmetic bugs still present in this release. I aim to fix them in a bugfix 0.1.1 release at some point. Feel free to point them out to remind me of them if you wish.

If you find any gamebreaking bugs, do post about it as soon as possible so I can issue a bigfix patch.

Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Arden/Eve/Other unit doesn't have animations for some weapons. What's going on?
A: I haven't made new animations for their new weapons yet, so I've just made it default to the map animation for now. When the animations are made, I'll insert them in a future update patch!

Q: Why are the stats in the r-button menu different colours?
A: The colours give a rough indicator of the unit's growth rates in that stat. There are 4 possible colours: Dark Grey means the growth is between 0-20%, Light Grey means the growth is between 21-35%, White means the growth is between 36-50% and Green means the growth is over 50%.

Note that the HP stat does not have this indicator.

Q: I let a unit die and they came back the next chapter. Does this hack have a Casual Mode?
Q: Why is Noish/Lex/Azel/Jamka/Holyn a zombie?

A: This hack has a feature that's similar to Casual Mode with minor differences. Although units will come back after dying, they will have generic growths instead of their usual growths (and in future versions they won't be eligible for inheritance.) The zombie portraits are leftovers from the Halloween update video I made, which can be found on the Youtube channel. You can find a link to the channel below.

Note that not all units will return after dying. The units that stay dead are Diadora, Cuan, Ethlin, Fin, Eve, Sylvia and Fury.

Q: How does the Golden Axe work?
A: Its might increases by 1 for every 500 gold you have, capping at 4000 gold (so up to +8 might.) This change is only reflected in the battle previews.

Q: What's the critical bonus from Daredevil?
A: Daredevil will give +1 crit to the user for every 4 hit from the enemy, so for example 56 Hit will give +14 crit. This bonus caps at 100 hit, which is the maximum displayed hit. Enemies that can't attack have 0 hit.

Q: When do you get the extra attacks from Astra?
A: Astra gives an extra attack when you have 6, 8 and 10 more AS than the enemy for a total of 5 attacks when you include the extra attack from doubling at 4 AS.

History and Media
First thread
Youtube channel
Playtest of 3-1 to 3-3 by Blastinus and Onmi
Let's Play by MageKnight404

Let's Play by Alisa Reinford

Still working on this or is already dead?? If you want to complete it I'm working in kinda the same project but using an engine that I found here at Serene Forest, but I'm looking for someone to help me adapting the sprites from gba professions to their variables of snes (knight with swords, axes and lances, for example)

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying so far!

Small issue I noticed. Well, not really small, but probably easily fixable. On chapter 1-1 there is a house that, when visited gives a character infinite movement. No I am not kidding. It's the house to the right of the village that gives you the flame scroll. Just thought I should mention it, since I had to replay after Lex decided to just Yeet off the map.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, axelloid said:

Still working on this or is already dead?? If you want to complete it I'm working in kinda the same project but using an engine that I found here at Serene Forest, but I'm looking for someone to help me adapting the sprites from gba professions to their variables of snes (knight with swords, axes and lances, for example)

An update was literally posted 2 weeks ago, the project has not been abandoned. It is still being worked on. I don't think a collaboration is in order either, and SNES sprites would not look right/good in GBA FE games. The next update is set to come in the Summer or in October. 

Edited by Frey45678

15 hours ago, Frey45678 said:

An update was literally posted 2 weeks ago, the project has not been abandoned. It is still being worked on. I don't think a collaboration is in order either, and SNES sprites would not look right/good in GBA FE games. The next update is set to come in the Summer or in October. 

mmm ok what a pitty, surely your version looks good... What I meant with adapting was --> Remaking them, or adapting gba sprites to look like the ones of SNES with a GBA style... but well, no problem with that, I'll have to do it myself, no need to share credits hahahaha.... Just a little doubt concerning your last updates, since I'm not able to apply the patch (don't know why every rom I have is not possible to be overwriten with the patch), how many chapters (From the original FE4) have you already remade??

• 5 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 5:21 AM, SquareRootOfPi said:

Hello everyone. For this year's April update I present to you the sequel to the Barhara Anime Club featuring Sigurd and Diadora. This shows off a new mechanical change to the game that at first glance may seem simple, but took some time to set up under the hood:

If the video wasn't clear about what the new mechanic is, I'll explain it here: The game now supports limited inventory in shops! Shops are now able to carry specific items that can only be bought once, on top of items that can be bought repeatedly and items that can be repaired. There is still some minor work left to make it clear what category the items fall under, but the functionality is fully working (and let me fix some minor bugs that repairing introduced.) As you might expect, this will open up some new options when it comes to adjusting the power curve of the game.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to add for this update. I may write a summer update if I have something interesting to show off then, but otherwise I will see you in October. Thanks for your patience!

The lovers system will be implemented using the existing support system, similar to how the modern 3DS Fire Emblem games have handled them.

Haha, the goal of the Kinbois chapter is that you need to kill Kinbois without letting him attack your units to get the handaxe. Now that the new shop mechanic is implemented, however, I will likely add some handaxes in later shops.

There will likely be something once I begin integrating supports.

Currently, the chapters cover about 25% of the original game content.

Greetings! So glad to see the amazing project still alive ^ ^

Where can we download the April update? Thanks a lot!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello, it is once again time for the customary Halloween update. Unfortunately, due to 2019 being a very busy year for me, I didn't have much time to dedicate to this project (and even less for this update), but some progress managed to get made. For this year's update, I will cover two points.

First, Chapter (tentatively) 4-1 is finally under construction. If you're familiar with the original game, you probably know why I am using the word "tentatively" to describe the number, as this portion of the game actually takes place during Chapter 3; however, since I'm breaking up the original chapters into sub-chapters, I felt this was a better point to mark the start of the next portion of the story. You can see below a few images of how it looks so far (i.e. very rough):

5Mqj5cw.pngMjWWP9A.png

AijPl5G.pngVLHnjYP.png

The next update is a smaller one compared to this one, but still meaningful (at least to me), as Holyn has a new portrait. I've always been struggling to capture the essence of Holyn's character in his portrait and I recently had a breakthrough with it, so here is his new look:

MezZrPI.png

You can see a timeline of his evolution here:

3uspVeX.png

This concludes the update for October. I'm sure many of you are looking forward to seeing more substantial progress in the future, so hopefully working on 4-1 helps accelerate the pace.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:44 PM, Realhi87 said:

Really enjoying so far!

Small issue I noticed. Well, not really small, but probably easily fixable. On chapter 1-1 there is a house that, when visited gives a character infinite movement. No I am not kidding. It's the house to the right of the village that gives you the flame scroll. Just thought I should mention it, since I had to replay after Lex decided to just Yeet off the map.

Glad you're enjoying the hack! The bug you're mentioning is, as far as I'm aware, a bug specific to the no$gba emulator. A post on the first page has what I presume is the same bug as yours. If you're also using no$gba, then I can't currently help with it as I don't debug with that emulator.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:25 PM, Rshiro said:

Greetings! So glad to see the amazing project still alive ^ ^

Where can we download the April update? Thanks a lot!!!

The April update is not actually a patch update, just a progress update on the state of the hack.

• 1 month later...