Anyone else salty that Nintendo missed another opportunity to translate pre FE7 games?

Theosmeo

FE3 and 4 are apparently going to be on the japanese n3DS virtual console and they're not getting translated. That's kinda ridiculous considering how much Awakening sucks up to FE3 yet they're still keeping it in japan. Losing free money I say, especially when you've already officially localized half the game.

Source:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/253674-japan-list-of-snes-titles-found-in-new-3ds-snes-vc-release

Nintendo not translating old games is just its thing, the only time it has sent us over one seems to be with Mother 1/Earthbound Beginnings, which had an unused English translation that was made many years ago.

BTW, it's not free money, as translating a game, especially text heavy ones, I assume is still an expensive task. You probably won't get that much of a return on it considering it's VC.

Localization is a costly thing, it's as easy as some people think. It's pretty expensive as well.

And this games will only cater to a niche market, which means Nintendo have likely decided that it's not worth the effort and costs.

It seems that the only way those games can make it to the west, is by making remakes of them.

Then again there are those who are against that.

I'm not really salty about it because I don't expect Nintendo to ever bring those games to the west.

I may not like it but there is a certain logic in the Jugdral games remaining in the past. The continent lacks the smash appeal that Marth and Roy brought to their respective continents and it also doesn't have a western game directly alluding to it like 7 did to 6. How weird the games are in comparison is something I love but its also something that may work against them in this regard.

It being less marketable makes it hard for the game to return the costs it would take to localize the games.

I also suspect Nintento just doesn't like the games.

Yeah, a localisation for this isn't going to happen. Even more so considering the SNES games are limited to the New 3DS.

But man, to imagine playing the old console Fire Emblems on the 3DS... :wub:

Edited by BrightBow

I'm not bothered by it, because I'm just not expecting it to happen, primarily for the reasons Knight and Etrurian emperor stated.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I know, but it just feels like there's so much demand for it, plus they pop on $2 for every translated release. That means the games would be $12 each which is a whole lot of money. Maybe they want to keep the Awakening kiddies in the dark from how good the rest of the games are. I personally buy every nintendo VC game they localize late (Earthbound 0, Sin and Punishment, ect.) to get them to do more and my dream is to have all the Kaga Emblems on 3DS. I need it there so I can retry FE5 over and over on trains, planes, and my bed.

Edited by Theosmeo

I know, but it just feels like there's so much demand for it, plus they pop on $2 for every translated release. That means the games would be $12 each which is a whole lot of money. Maybe they want to keep the Awakening kiddies in the dark from how good the rest of the games are. I personally buy every nintendo VC game they localize late (Earthbound 0, Sin and Punishment, ect.) to get them to do more and my dream is to have all the Kaga Emblems on 3DS. I need it there so I can retry FE5 over and over on trains, planes, and my bed.

Please don't refer some players as "Awakening kiddies", that sort of attitude really isn't necessary.

Some people like Awkening, some like the Kaga games.

And why would they hide them? Like many said, it's a finacial matter.

Aside from what Water Mage said, I believe that the portion of the fanbase that started with Awakening either wouldn't even care or would get turned away. Also, there's the part where the only people who'd likely jump at the opportunity to play the older FE games localized would be those that were already hardcore FE fans.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

here's the real question, do you want a treehouse tier localization for the older games?

i think we should wait for remakes until nintendo gets its localization shit figured out and taken care of.

Treehouse is top tier when it comes to localization so yes.

I'd assume it would cost upwards of $10 000 to go through the whole process of localization at the very least, being generous. That means they have to sell 1000 copies of a JRPG series on the Wii U and New 3DS on the Virtual Console only, just to break even. I'm not sure what VC sales are like, but I bet even for old Zelda games they only reach lifetime sales in the ten thousands. Just because you will buy it doesn't mean thousands of people will.

Treehouse is top tier when it comes to localization so yes.

I'll accept memes in my Zelda or my Fire Emblem Fates, but please not my FE4.

Edited by Knight

I am more mad that they still haven't put FE 9 and 10 on the eshop since my copies are getting wore and and the demand for them has gone way up over the past few years. While I would love to see the older FEs on the eshop I don't think it will happan anytime soon.

It sucks that we can't get Gamecube games on the Wii U, I hope that's something the NX fixes. Why we don't get Radiant Dawn is a mystery to me though. I'm glad we at least got the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I'd assume it would cost upwards of $10 000 to go through the whole process of localization at the very least, being generous. That means they have to sell 1000 copies of a JRPG series on the Wii U and New 3DS on the Virtual Console only, just to break even. I'm not sure what VC sales are like, but I bet even for old Zelda games they only reach lifetime sales in the ten thousands. Just because you will buy it doesn't mean thousands of people will.

I'll accept memes in my Zelda or my Fire Emblem Fates, but please not my FE4.

The memes in Treehouse localizations that people constantly point out are situational examples that don't and shouldn't detract from the overall quality of the localization. We're talking about one or two examples in games with kilometric scripts.

You're telling me "Sigurd's Silver Sword. Much Pretty. Very Strong. Wow." wouldn't detract from the quality of the game?

You're telling me "Sigurd's Silver Sword. Much Pretty. Very Strong. Wow." wouldn't detract from the quality of the game?

What makes you think such a line would even be there in the first place? That example is kinda overboard.

there were more memes per capita in the fe12 fan translation than in fates.

i don't know if this is actually factual but i definitely remember more memes in that game than the latter.

anyway from what i've seen of the fates story/script in the original nihongo it doesn't look like it was particularly good, so i wasn't surprised when the localization also wasn't particularly good.

but for topic: i don't really see any merit in localizing the pre-fe7 games for nintendo anymore; they're not the kind of games people that we've brought into the series would like, i don't reckon.

It sucks that we can't get Gamecube games on the Wii U, I hope that's something the NX fixes. Why we don't get Radiant Dawn is a mystery to me though. I'm glad we at least got the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Well, there aren't exactly a lot of Wii virtual Console games in the first place, so I am not surprised Radiant Dawn isn't among them.

But I wonder, considering Nintendo was always trying to change the names of real-world locations, maybe they don't dare to rerelease them because the name Crimea became common knowledge 2 years ago. It's stretching but maybe they just don't want to risk causing any controversy over that.

Edited by BrightBow

Sorry when I said Awakening kiddies, didn't mean to condescend. I meant it more like a trainee from SS(I started with awakening too). And if you like FE13 continue enjoying it :)

there were more memes per capita in the fe12 fan translation than in fates.

i don't know if this is actually factual but i definitely remember more memes in that game than the latter.

anyway from what i've seen of the fates story/script in the original nihongo it doesn't look like it was particularly good, so i wasn't surprised when the localization also wasn't particularly good.

but for topic: i don't really see any merit in localizing the pre-fe7 games for nintendo anymore; they're not the kind of games people that we've brought into the series would like, i don't reckon.

Ugh Fates localization was terrible. Especially the voices imo. And idk, I started with Awakening and actually went straight to FE3 & 4. Granted, that took awhile for me to be alerted to their existence, but if they kind of put a bit for translated versions of those games in Nintendo Direct, then more people might be interested.But yeah, while I do think localised versions of these games would be great, I do agree it probably won't happen. Unless we get that fabled remake that combines FE4 and FE5 (as long as it sticks true to most of the original mechanics or at least improves upon them, as there are some flaws with that game. I don't want my FE4 becoming a waifu simulator)

Edited by Lantairu

It's not really that surprising, a lot of Japanese Nintendo games have been on the eshop and not been localized. It's a shock that Mother 1 was localized, but then again it was already translated before.

It's not really that surprising, a lot of Japanese Nintendo games have been on the eshop and not been localized. It's a shock that Mother 1 was localized, but then again it was already translated before.

Yeah. Mother one had a 100% translated rom back in the day (Named earthbound, interestingly enough, and with an expanded ending from the japanese), but nintendo did a cost-benefit analysis of actualy releasing the translated rom, and decided it wasn't worth it. Years latter, someone leaked the rom, and a fan group disabled the copy protection, and changed the tital screen to say earthbound zero to be less confusing. THat's the version you can find floating around the internet.

Edited by sirmola