The cousincest issue with kids

Pretty_Handsome

Anyone else stuck with this?

My Caeldori is related by blood or marriage to Shiro, Kiragi, Kana, Dwyer, Sigure, Midori and Asugi.

Only Hisame isn't blood or marriage related to Caeldori, Kana and Midori.

Hisame...

No matter what someone's getting the marriage or blood cousin loving...

I'm sure that the family tree is far more complicated in Revelations if you don't marry the Royals together.

I've always thought of the cousin S-supports as them being really good friends. For example, in Awakening I married a Chrom fathered Cynthia to Owain. Granted I kind of forgot that they were related, but when I realized they were, I decided they were true to the given title of Companions. Rather than being married, they decided to care for each other like a family does and have silly adventures together. It also helps that their personalities fit that description well. Same thing with Fates. I just make up a story that puts the two in question in a situation where they would travel and enjoy being together as a family rather than it being plain incest. At least that's enough of an explanation for me to delude myself into thinking they're not actually married.

Edited by Magic Ike

I've always thought of the cousin S-supports as them being really good friends. For example, in Awakening I married a Chrom fathered Cynthia to Owain. Granted I kind of forgot that they were related, but when I realized they were, I decided they were true to the given title of Companions. Rather than being married, they decided to care for each other like a family does and have silly adventures together. It also helps that their personalities fit that description well. Same thing with Fates. I just make up a story that puts the two in question in a situation where they would travel and enjoy being together as a family rather than it being plain incest. At least that's enough of an explanation for me to delude myself into thinking they're not actually married.

I did something similar too. I married Lucina and Morgan married Owain. (Yes, the game lists them as Husband and Wife.) It's much better to feel that Owain's being a responsible (pfft XD) adult and just being that relative that encourages you to have fun for the sake of fun.

its kinda hard to avoid it in this game since Royals out the wazoo, especially if you end up shipping Hoshidan x Nohrian Royals.

example being my Elise!Ophelia x Felicia!Forrest in Conquest.

I didnt realize they were cousins until after the S Rank, but hell if i'm gonna give up those amazing bonuses for Ophelia.

You could technically make only all male children in either Birthright/Conquest all cousins.

Birthright:

Shiro

Kiragi

Shigure

Hisame (mothered by Azura, Sakura or Hinoka)

Asugi (same as above)

Dwyer (same as above)

Conquest:

Siegbert

Forrest

Shigure

Percy (mothered by Azura, Elise or Camilla)

Ignatius (same as above)

Dwyer (same as above)

Which would mean that they could marry any of the females without any incest problem. If you are playing as Male you could leave your Female Kana alone and have all the other kids together by marrying Scarlet, Flora and Yuugiri. As Female you could marry off your Male Kana to anyone since all the girls would be non-royals but that means you must marry someone that gives you another male son or a Corrinsexual due to for example if you marry Silas his Sophie would be royal and then incest would happen again. But all in all the rate of a composition like this happening is rare and difficult to avoid since pairings like Hinoka!Caeldori x Shiro are common in Birthright and Elise!Ophelia x Forrest are common in Conquest.

I'm pretty sure Kana and Sophie/Midori's supports just end with them becoming at most, boyfriend/girlfriend, and not marriage like Awakening

(haven't read a lot of others, so maybe there are some actual cousincest)

You're morally opposed to fictional characters marrying because they share 12.5% of their fictional DNA, in the same game where a 9-year-old girl can be impregnated and no one bats an eyelash.

Edited by Lady Sansa

I don't see what the issue is. Geneology of the Holy Wars had much worse then cousincest as part of the plot.

Blazing Sword allowed you to to make Roy and Lilina, in Sealed Sword, cousins.

The subtext of Ephraim and Eirika's supports could be taken to heavily imply twincest, and a lot of people actually believe that their paired ending does involve it. It doesn't.

Awakening would allow you to marry a Lucina!Morgan to a Chrom!Inigo or Chrom!Brady, thus making it a Neice/Uncle pairing. Or a Lucina paired to a Chrom!Brady!Morgan or Chrom!Inigo!Morgan for a Nephew/Aunt pairing. And such a union is labeled as Husband/Wife. Naturally, you can also have cousin pairings in Awakening as well, though they're labeled as Companions instead.

Incest is just simply a part of Fire Emblem. Just remember that this is a fictional universe where no one is actually real, so, if you don't like it, start over and plan your pairings to avoid it.

It's kinda hard to avoid since there's so many possible paring combinations and there are 10 siblings, 2 sets of 4 royals and Kaze/Saizo.

Admittedly, I haven't seen many of the children supports as I didn't use them much. That being said, it's definitely not the worst in terms of incest (real or implied), see quote for examples.

I don't see what the issue is. Geneology of the Holy Wars had much worse then cousincest as part of the plot.

Blazing Sword allowed you to to make Roy and Lilina, in Sealed Sword, cousins.

The subtext of Ephraim and Eirika's supports could be taken to heavily imply twincest, and a lot of people actually believe that their paired ending does involve it. It doesn't.

Awakening would allow you to marry a Lucina!Morgan to a Chrom!Inigo or Chrom!Brady, thus making it a Neice/Uncle pairing. Or a Lucina paired to a Chrom!Brady!Morgan or Chrom!Inigo!Morgan for a Nephew/Aunt pairing. And such a union is labeled as Husband/Wife. Naturally, you can also have cousin pairings in Awakening as well, though they're labeled as Companions instead.

Also, this is far less of an issue in Japan, where first cousin marriage is legal. Given the number of 1st gen units who are related to one another, it is difficult to avoid cousincest, so either ignore it, refuse to make such pairings, or blame it on Takumi cultural differences and laziness on the localizers' part.

in the same game where a 9-year-old girl can be impregnated and no one bats an eyelash.

Umm. They are all at least 18 (mentally in Nyx's case). Ages aren't specified, but Elise and Sakura are generally considered the youngest, they are about the same age (according to Corrin), and Leo (I think) asks "Elise, when do you intend to behave like the adult you technically are?". His comment means that she is presumably over 18 (US adult age), or 20 (JP adult age).

Umm. They are all at least 18 (mentally in Nyx's case). Ages aren't specified, but Elise and Sakura are generally considered the youngest, they are about the same age (according to Corrin), and Leo (I think) asks "Elise, when do you intend to behave like the adult you technically are?". His comment means that she is presumably over 18 (US adult age), or 20 (JP adult age).

According to the timeline, Elise has to be at least 10 - 14. She does not have memories of a life before Corrin/Corrin's kidnappings, while Sakura does. Sakura is most likely older, 15-16.

According to the timeline, Elise has to be at least 10 - 14. She does not have memories of a life before Corrin/Corrin's kidnappings, while Sakura does. Sakura is most likely older, 15-16.

Wasn't Elise born after Azura was kidnapped, so Corrin would already have to have been in Nohr at that point, so Sakura would have to be at least ~3 years older than Elise to have memories of Corrin in Hoshido.

Wasn't Elise born after Azura was kidnapped, so Corrin would already have to have been in Nohr at that point, so Sakura would have to be at least ~3 years older than Elise to have memories of Corrin in Hoshido.

I'll admit I haven't personally read all of everyone's supports yet so I'm not the best person to ask. From what I can tell though, the timeline is pretty messy/inconsistent/hard to pin down.

Azura and Corrin are cousin as well, and they're one of the most popular pairing. The game itself even ships them together. While I don't fully agree with the 2nd gen can potentially being cousin and can S support each other, it's at least customizable by switching pairs. Azura and Corrin's case is, on the other hand, officially and downright relatives.

Though I suppose since they're most likely not aware of this fact...

I'll admit I haven't personally read all of everyone's supports yet so I'm not the best person to ask. From what I can tell though, the timeline is pretty messy/inconsistent/hard to pin down.

Elise was born after Azura was kidnapped (it's in their B-support), but I'm not so certain Sakura was 3. She says she was "really little" (A-support with Corrin) when he got kidnapped, which is the baby-toddler age, but I don't think the game ever specifies if she has memories of him. If she does, I'd say 3 is an accurate estimate; if not, I'd put her as closer to 1 or 2, to justify not having those memories.

The only thing we know for sure about the timeline, in specific ages, is that Corrin was younger than 7 when he was kidnapped and that Hinoka was 7--she says she was 7 when she started training with the naginata (C-support with Camilla), and she started training to rescue Corrin. So she was 7 when he got kidnapped, and since she's older than him, he was younger than that. Since he was able to walk, talk, and draw pictures, he was at least out of toddlerhood--common age guess is the 5-6 range.

And we know the amount of years that have passed is equal to Elise's age, because again, she was born after Azura and Corrin were kidnapped. But her age is...really vague. Depending on which definition of "adult" you go by, she could be ~14 (medieval definition) or ~18 (modern definition), though i personally think the medieval one is correct.

Edited by Abvora

I like this is a possibility, because it happened frequently in dynasties and other kinds of royal families throughout the ages (and still happens).

The fact that IS put in in the game and NoA didn't cut (except Owain/Lucina) is a big plus for them, whether you do it intentionally or not in the game. I liked that the developers didn't back down on these possibilities.

Really hope in the future they don't "fix" this.

Azura and Corrin are cousin as well, and they're one of the most popular pairing. The game itself even ships them together. While I don't fully agree with the 2nd gen can potentially being cousin and can S support each other, it's at least customizable by switching pairs. Azura and Corrin's case is, on the other hand, officially and downright relatives.

Though I suppose since they're most likely not aware of this fact...

Its briefly touched on in Revelations, with at least Corrin acknowledging it, IIRC. Not necessarily like "Azura and I are cousins?!" but more like "My mother is a royal Vallite?!"

I don't really see the issue with it, it's legal in a lot of countries and some US states and as others have mentioned already it fits the setting -Seriously, just go look at some French lines- this is nothing versus that.

Edited by cryogeist

Its briefly touched on in Revelations, with at least Corrin acknowledging it, IIRC. Not necessarily like "Azura and I are cousins?!" but more like "My mother is a royal Vallite?!"

And yet he still can make Azura his queen.

That being said, if IS thinks it's not a big deal (apparently not), so does the kid's case.

What bothers me the most is the fact that Corrin can marry AND have kid with Shigure or his/her other potential nephew/niece - which includes Shiro and Kiragi. Eventhough Shiro and Kiragi aren't his/her nephew by blood, but Corrin doesn't know it unless he/she married the Hoshidan royals.

As much as I love Shigure's support with Corrin - especially Fe!Corn, which is pretty genuine and heart-warming, it's still something that I find hard to swallow.

At least it Awakening it's different, as the 2nd gen are technically a different person than their own baby self in the actual world. Sure, it's still them, in a way, but the difference - albeit slight - still counts.