Localisation observations

Now that I have gotten a closer look on Tsubasa outfit I somehow prefer the "censored" version more. On the basis that I find it more cute and fitting on her compared to the bikini top. That's just me though.

Edited by FoliFF

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're very dedicated to these changes. It's actually somewhat impressive.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the Japanese typography is missing from the second video.

I kinda liked it but whatever.

The video seems more empty without it, I liked it better with it too. I can understand why they would get rid of it since most people can't read it though, and is it just me or do the subtitled lyrics almost match the rhythm ? It's harder for me to tell since I'm not a native english speaker, but it almost seems like it does.

and here's a random thought from me

This change was probably caused by 3rd wave feminism outrage, the sad thing is 2nd wave feminism would have been outraged by this change

*citation needed

I find the complete lack of cleavage on Tsubasa's model somewhat disturbing. I'm usually fine with localization changes and desexualization of characters, but that's just off-putting.

EDIT: Nevermind, she's just wearing a shirt underneath.

Edited by The Geek

Honestly I think Nintendo is just hoping some younger kids might be interested despite there being a T rating slapped on, or at least make it so kids have an easier time convincing their parents that it's not some weird fanservice game I guess...admittedly I like Tsubasa's new outfits though. Just a shame that, even if I wouldn't use them, the stuff they're replacing was removed. I would have thought aging up the idols to 18 would have been fine on its own but seems like Nintendo has a different agenda.

Some part of me actually thinks the censorship is trying to find some way to "fix" the general appearance of the game so it will sell better. I think a lot of people initially went "what is this anime waifu garbage??" at E3 last year, though covering up some boobs isn't really going to change anyone's minds at this point. The black flames of censorship on Aversa is kinda cringey though. That's like JJBA levels of pointless. Considering how niche this game is I don't think this was really worth it on Nintendo's part but we'll see.

Honestly I think Nintendo is just hoping some younger kids might be interested despite there being a T rating slapped on, or at least make it so kids have an easier time convincing their parents that it's not some weird fanservice game I guess...admittedly I like Tsubasa's new outfits though. Just a shame that, even if I wouldn't use them, the stuff they're replacing was removed. I would have thought aging up the idols to 18 would have been fine on its own but seems like Nintendo has a different agenda.

Some part of me actually thinks the censorship is trying to find some way to "fix" the general appearance of the game so it will sell better. I think a lot of people initially went "what is this anime waifu garbage??" at E3 last year, though covering up some boobs isn't really going to change anyone's minds at this point. The black flames of censorship on Aversa is kinda cringey though. That's like JJBA levels of pointless. Considering how niche this game is I don't think this was really worth it on Nintendo's part but we'll see.

I completely agree with this, though I'm not too sure about it appealing to kids. A generally younger audience maybe but probably not that young.

I was fine with the changes made to Fates since, as a main series title, it needed to be able to appeal to a wider audience. This game was doomed to be niche from its inception.

I say kids but I am thinking somewhere in the 12-13 year old range, since this is bound to be a text heavy game and younger than that might run into some reading difficulty. That's all I can see these changes are meant for. I'm kinda OK with seeing Tsubasa less sexy since I think Kiria is better suited to the sexy look. But unlike in the main series FE, I think the more ridiculous this gets, the better. They already alienated both SMT and FE fans so you might as well embrace what you've done.

They're very dedicated to these changes. It's actually somewhat impressive.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the Japanese typography is missing from the second video.

I kinda liked it but whatever.

Maybe I'm interpretting her character incorrectly but Tsubasa to me seems like quite the sweet, fun and innocent type. It actually seems far more in character for her to not be strutting around in bikinis/bras.

Her "Feel" outfit change is great, in my opinion, since just wearing a bra with some pink stuff is frigging weird.

https://youtu.be/psJD48GsHqE?t=3m36s

At 3:36 mark did Tsubasa had the white one piece or a swimsuit in the JP ver?

I went back and looked at the trailer of Nintendo Direct and I can see it's a one piece there too now. I thought she wore a swimsuit of some kind.

https://youtu.be/j9vdgYwNg2o?t=17s

At least we know for sure that not all bikinis swimsuits were cut from the game.