Baseball 2017 Season Discussion

Rezzy

Steven Wright for AL Cy Young

For whatever reason, my first thought was that you meant that deadpan comedian.

I wonder if Jake Arrieta will repeat the Cy Young award this year. Some of his biggest competition might come from his own team. Kyle Hendricks is looking to be the best #5 starter in baseball right now.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was somewhat in jest, but he's been killing it so far this year and he's been the most reliable starter for the Red Sox by miles. The Cubs' rotation is downright frightening and I would be floored if they aren't in it come late October.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great time to be a Cub fan, after being terrible for so long. As of now, 5 Cubs lead in the All Star Voting for their position. That's out of 8 positions voted on by the fans, and there's 15 teams with a player vying for each spot. The last time I remember such a lopsided roster was the 2001 AL team, when it was pretty much all Mariners and Yankees.

I want the Blue Jays to win...

Because I'm Canadian...

You could always root for the Expos Nationals; they used to be in Canada.

I know this. :P

Montreal's mayor is trying to get a team back there too.

They didn't draw well at all, which caused them to leave in the first place. I doubt they'd get another team any time soon.

If Canada got another team, I could see it going to British Columbia or another western province.

Edited by Rezzy

Blue Jays "fan" here but only because I grew up in Toronto.

But honestly, I put fan in quotations because I'm not. That article that Estrada put out a few months back about Toronto being a baseball city is complete bullshit. People only cared about the Blue Jays because they showed some signs of life after 20 years of being terrible (the salary cap ban got lifted after Toronto won back to back WS in the early 90's so there's a connection). Besides, the Raptors had recently been acting like a 1-and-done team (not this year, fuck you all) and the Leafs just generally suck so that explains the bandwagon jump onto the Jays' success.

I'm happy for the team but I couldn't give two shits about baseball. I prefer basketball to baseball (went to Raptors games growing up) and hockey/American football over those (Winnipeg/Buffalo fan over those) so baseball can suck on my left nut for all I care.

Indians are at the top of the AL Central right now. Would be nice if Cleveland could win two championships in one year (unlikely, with so many other good teams out there right now, but I can dream).

• 2 weeks later...

My Pirates are facing your Cubs next, Rezzy. Of course, I don't expect to see the former win here despite that they've been on a bit of a hot streak lately though. But do watch out for Starling Marte whenever he's in our lineup. Hahaha.

Edited by Anacybele

My Pirates are facing your Cubs next, Rezzy. Of course, I don't expect to see the former win here despite that they've been on a bit of a hot streak lately though. But do watch out for Starling Marte whenever he's in our lineup. Hahaha.

Yeppers, I'm going to be listening to it on the radio in a few minutes. Good job on beating the Cardinals. Now the Cubs just need to start winning again. Ever since Dexter Fowler went on the DL, they've been skidding along.

I hope Marte makes the All Star Team, I don't remember when the final vote gets announced.

Marte is currently in first place in the vote, and I can see why! That man has a hell of an arm AND he can hit AND he can pitch. There's like nothing this guy can't do. o_o

Oh, and the Pirates are leading 7-4 as of 20 minutes ago! Wow, that's a nice surprise. ^^

EDIT: And they just won 8-4! Nice! :D

Edited by Anacybele

Marte is currently in first place in the vote, and I can see why! That man has a hell of an arm AND he can hit AND he can pitch. There's like nothing this guy can't do. o_o

Oh, and the Pirates are leading 7-4 as of 20 minutes ago! Wow, that's a nice surprise. ^^

EDIT: And they just won 8-4! Nice! :D

The Cubs finally won a game. That 25 game stretch without a day off was brutal. I don't know why they scheduled those make up games during this stretch and didn't just have a double header somewhere. Hopefully, after the All Star break, they can regroup and start playing well again. Conraras is looking promising, but he's got some way to go as a catcher. Watching him make wild pick-off throws made me cringe. I personally wish the Pirates well, just not when they're playing the Cubs.

The All Star Game should be nice. The Cubs got the entire infield for the National League.

Pirates took the series tho. :D Way to go, Buccos! (I'll rarely call them that, just to say xP) This was a neat surprise!

And this young hitter they got in Josh Bell is freaky. He slammed a home runner so hard that it went OVER the stands and possibly into the river. Holy hell what arms this kid must have. o.o

It seems that guys named Bell are just good for Pittsburgh sports teams in general too. lol (Le'Veon Bell is arguably the best RB in the NFL)

Edited by Anacybele

I'm probably the only Brewers fan in my state. I've never even set foot in Wisconsin lol

Hey, another Brewers fan here!

Granted you've never set foot in Wisconsin while I'm from Wisconsin, but eh, doesn't matter. What state you from?

I'm probably the only Brewers fan in my state. I've never even set foot in Wisconsin lol

Hey, another Brewers fan here!

Granted you've never set foot in Wisconsin while I'm from Wisconsin, but eh, doesn't matter. What state you from?

I've met a few Brewers fans in Illinois and Missouri. They're usually from Wisconsin originally. It's always interesting to meet people who root for a team without having been from the area.

It's nice to see my Cubs seem re-energized after the All Star Break, sitting through that 25 game stretch before the break was brutal.

The Pirates play those Brewers next too! It seems that every team mentioned now is their next opponent. XD

Part of me wishes we could play the Pirates at Miller Park all the time ;) Sadly, that's not possible, and our next series is at PNC Park :/

The Pirates play those Brewers next too! It seems that every team mentioned now is their next opponent. XD

Yeah, I like how the current scheduling gives more weight to games against divisional opponents. Back in the day, you played every team the same amount of games more or less.

And Pirates win series vs the Brewers too! They're still on a roll even though they've yet to sweep anyone as far as I've seen. :P

Phillies are next. Is that Philadelphia? lol *checks* Yep, it's Philadelphia. That's such a lol name.

Edited by Anacybele

And Pirates win series vs the Brewers too! They're still on a roll even though they've yet to sweep anyone as far as I've seen. :P

Phillies are next. Is that Philadelphia? lol *checks* Yep, it's Philadelphia. That's such a lol name.

Time for the Cubs to take on the Brewers, now.

When I was young, I thought the Phillies were the Philadelphia Fillies, which would have been a cool mascot. It's still a better name than the Nationals, though.

Pirates smoked Seattle now. o.o Either Seattle is lolbad or the Penguins have been rubbing off on their baseball brothers. I've never seen the Pirates look this good.

And today it's back to the Brewers.

Edited by Anacybele

Pirates smoked Seattle now. o.o Either Seattle is lolbad or the Penguins have been rubbing off on their baseball brothers. I've never seen the Pirates look this good.

And today it's back to the Brewers.

And the good news, it's at Miller Park! Where the Brewers almost always seem to beat the Pirates for some reason.