Baseball 2017 Season Discussion

Rezzy

I like McCutchen, since he seems like a genuinely nice guy as well as a good baseball player.

Yeah, those are always the best sports players! The ones who are awesome on AND off the field/ice/whatever.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, exactly. But now they've started consistently making the playoffs, what a miracle! :P And I see a lot of fans wearing Andrew McCutchen's jersey. By now though, even I can tell that he's the best batter on the team.

And they still have trouble winning at Miller Park ;)

Anyways, seeing you guys succeed after a lot of rough years makes me hopeful that the Brewers can come up with lightning in a bottle eventually. They won their 3rd straight game a few hours ago, so we'll take any wins we can get!

Yeah, those are always the best sports players! The ones who are awesome on AND off the field/ice/whatever.

Agreed, I hate it when good players are jerks. I makes it hard to root for them. Oh, and Happy Birthday, Ana!

And they still have trouble winning at Miller Park ;)

Anyways, seeing you guys succeed after a lot of rough years makes me hopeful that the Brewers can come up with lightning in a bottle eventually. They won their 3rd straight game a few hours ago, so we'll take any wins we can get!

I'd like to see the Brewers do well. Actually, any team that's not the Cardinals right now. They could use a little humility for a change. The Brewers used to be my second favorite team, but Ryan Braun kinda ruined that for them.

Agreed, I hate it when good players are jerks. I makes it hard to root for them. Oh, and Happy Birthday, Ana!

I'd like to see the Brewers do well. Actually, any team that's not the Cardinals right now. They could use a little humility for a change. The Brewers used to be my second favorite team, but Ryan Braun kinda ruined that for them.

The whole Ryan Braun deal still leaves a bad taste in our mouth. Some have somehow forgiven him, while I find it'd be easier to forgive him if he had just told the truth the first time. Part of me wishes for a trade for him to help rid ourselves of his reputation, but no team is going to want to bring his reputation to them, nor is any team going to eat up the rest of his contract

The whole Ryan Braun deal still leaves a bad taste in our mouth. Some have somehow forgiven him, while I find it'd be easier to forgive him if he had just told the truth the first time. Part of me wishes for a trade for him to help rid ourselves of his reputation, but no team is going to want to bring his reputation to them, nor is any team going to eat up the rest of his contract

I don't forgive him, because he got off on a technicality without punishment. He doesn't even have the excuse that he was taking some meds that he thought were okay, or at least claim to. He pretty much admitted he cheated, but the tester left the specimen in transit too long. Like I'm taking beta-blockers, which would light up a PED screen if I was in any sort of professional sport, but I take them for a legit medical reason.

The players from the late 90's to early 2000's at least have the excuse that everyone was doing it back then. And people who were caught serve their heavy 50 or 100 game suspension, and I can forgive someone if they've accepted the punishment for their cheating.

I don't forgive him, because he got off on a technicality without punishment. He doesn't even have the excuse that he was taking some meds that he thought were okay, or at least claim to. He pretty much admitted he cheated, but the tester left the specimen in transit too long. Like I'm taking beta-blockers, which would light up a PED screen if I was in any sort of professional sport, but I take them for a legit medical reason.

The players from the late 90's to early 2000's at least have the excuse that everyone was doing it back then. And people who were caught serve their heavy 50 or 100 game suspension, and I can forgive someone if they've accepted the punishment for their cheating.

He eventually did serve his punishment in 2013, and even admitted the reason WHY he took them (he was taking them to help deal with a nagging groin injury he was dealing with that the time). Had he told the truth regarding that in the first place I might.....MIGHT have forgiven him.

Instead, he decides to go on a crusade about how he was innocent, and not only did he ruin his reputation in the process, he dragged the Brewer organization and their fans through the mud, knowing full well that they would back him. And the worst part? We had signed him to a big contract extension mere months before the scandal unfolded, so that means his reputation has stuck with the rest of the team for a lot longer than we would have liked. Braun doing really well so far this season might be a blessing....he could be trade bait so that we can finally be rid of him. (and maybe get some prospects as a result).

On a side note, I did visit Wrigley a few years back. Could feel the history behind it....yet I could easily tell that renovations were sorely needed (thankfully for Cub fans, those renovations are going well)

He eventually did serve his punishment in 2013, and even admitted the reason WHY he took them (he was taking them to help deal with a nagging groin injury he was dealing with that the time). Had he told the truth regarding that in the first place I might.....MIGHT have forgiven him.

Instead, he decides to go on a crusade about how he was innocent, and not only did he ruin his reputation in the process, he dragged the Brewer organization and their fans through the mud, knowing full well that they would back him. And the worst part? We had signed him to a big contract extension mere months before the scandal unfolded, so that means his reputation has stuck with the rest of the team for a lot longer than we would have liked. Braun doing really well so far this season might be a blessing....he could be trade bait so that we can finally be rid of him. (and maybe get some prospects as a result).

On a side note, I did visit Wrigley a few years back. Could feel the history behind it....yet I could easily tell that renovations were sorely needed (thankfully for Cub fans, those renovations are going well)

Did Braun end up serving any suspension? I thought he got it tossed on a technicality.

Did Braun end up serving any suspension? I thought he got it tossed on a technicality.

He did end up getting suspended for 65 games in 2013 after new reports surfaced. (the suspension came in July of that year, so the suspension was the remainder of that season). He only played in 61 games that year due to both injury and suspension.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/sports/baseball/ryan-braun-suspended-for-doping.html?emc=edit_na_20130722&_r=0

The original report got tossed on a technicality, but new reports surfaced in 2013 that he did indeed lie about using PEDs, and as such was suspended. You just don't hear about it as much, partly because of what he did in 2011-2012 to get it tossed in the first place, and partly because the Brewers were terrible that year with or without Braun anyway (Going 6-22 in May? bleh)

Edited by Bullwine85

He did end up getting suspended for 65 games in 2013 after new reports surfaced. (the suspension came in July of that year, so the suspension was the remainder of that season). He only played in 61 games that year due to both injury and suspension.

The original report got tossed on a technicality, but new reports surfaced in 2013 that he did indeed lie about using PEDs, and as such was suspended. You just don't hear about it as much, partly because of what he did in 2012 to get it tossed in the first place, and partly because the Brewers were terrible that year with or without Braun anyway (Going 6-22 in May? bleh)

2013 was my first year of residency, and the Cubs were pretty bad, so I didn't follow baseball news that closely that year. Must've missed it.

Edited by Rezzy

• 2 weeks later...

In hindsight....That Brewers/Cubs series that just ended was a weird one. Did EITHER team deserve to win game 2 of that series?

In hindsight....That Brewers/Cubs series that just ended was a weird one. Did EITHER team deserve to win game 2 of that series?

It was definitely interesting. I'm glad it finally ended when it did, since it wasn't over until after midnight, and I had to wake up at 5:00 the next morning.

It was definitely interesting. I'm glad it finally ended when it did, since it wasn't over until after midnight, and I had to wake up at 5:00 the next morning.

I was paying attention to it at work, then listening to it on the radio on my way home from work. You can imagine my "I should be angry at this, but then again I expected this" reaction when the Brewers had the bases loaded with no one out in the 12th (or 13th?) inning and still couldn't drive anyone in.

I was paying attention to it at work, then listening to it on the radio on my way home from work. You can imagine my "I should be angry at this, but then again I expected this" reaction when the Brewers had the bases loaded with no one out in the 12th (or 13th?) inning and still couldn't drive anyone in.

As a Cubs fan, I've had countless times like that. You guys did beat us 2 out of 3, though, so it wasn't too bad for you.

Daaamn, looks like the Pirates have a hell of a left fielder in Starling Marte. His arm is a cannon! And Gerrit Cole looks like a great pitcher. Nice compliments to a batter like Andrew McCutchen. I can see how this team has improved lately! Baseball still isn't as fun to watch as NFL games or NHL playoff games tho. xP

Daaamn, looks like the Pirates have a hell of a left fielder in Starling Marte. His arm is a cannon! And Gerrit Cole looks like a great pitcher. Nice compliments to a batter like Andrew McCutchen. I can see how this team has improved lately! Baseball still isn't as fun to watch as NFL games or NHL playoff games tho. xP

The thing I like about baseball, is that I can listen to it on the radio, and know exactly what's happening. Unless I'm watching football or other sports on TV, I'm lost.

I'm getting a rare treat today, watching the Cubs game on TV at my mom's house. We don't have cable or satellite at our place. It's nice seeing all the players for a change and admiring the facial hair. We need more beards in the world.

Yeah, but when I try to listen to stuff on the radio, I eventually get lost. xP For some reason, my brain has never been wired to follow massive amounts of words and explanation, I have to SEE what's going on. It's the same thing when someone tries to teach me something, they have to show me, not tell me, otherwise I get confused. I know, it's weird, but it's how it is with my weird brain. :P

I took my son to his first baseball game the other day. It was really nice to go as a family. Poor little guy wanted to explore the stadium, but other than that he behaved very well.

Lucky. First time I went to a baseball game (and it was my only time, actually), my stepbrothers and I were five and six. We played on a rookie ball team back then (which is really just baseball for little kids) and our coach went to the Pirates game with us. But he ended up abandoning my brother and I for some reason! I wasn't sure what to do, being just a little kid. But my brother, only FIVE, took care of me and found us seats and we sat there until a friendly lady found us and brought us back to mom and dad. Turns out she was a lady they knew too. For a five year old, my brother was awesome that day.

Btw, the Pirates clobbered the Diamondbacks. The D-backs must lolsuck. 12-1 whooping and then an 8-2 whooping by the Pirates. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Lucky. First time I went to a baseball game (and it was my only time, actually), my stepbrothers and I were five and six. We played on a rookie ball team back then (which is really just baseball for little kids) and our coach went to the Pirates game with us. But he ended up abandoning my brother and I for some reason! I wasn't sure what to do, being just a little kid. But my brother, only FIVE, took care of me and found us seats and we sat there until a friendly lady found us and brought us back to mom and dad. Turns out she was a lady they knew too. For a five year old, my brother was awesome that day.

Btw, the Pirates clobbered the Diamondbacks. The D-backs must lolsuck. 12-1 whooping and then an 8-2 whooping by the Pirates. :P

Funny story, I was listening to a game on the radio at work a few years ago, and the announcer said "The D-Backs" and she misheard it as "The D-Bags". Hilarity ensued.

After getting swept by the Mets, the Brewers have followed that up with a four game winning streak (so far), which includes a sweep of the Braves. They are now closer to 2nd in the NL Central than they are last.

Though I think this says more about the Reds out-tanking us than it does anything else. Seriously, we can't even tank properly :/

After getting swept by the Mets, the Brewers have followed that up with a four game winning streak (so far), which includes a sweep of the Braves. They are now closer to 2nd in the NL Central than they are last.

Though I think this says more about the Reds out-tanking us than it does anything else. Seriously, we can't even tank properly :/

The Reds have really been free-falling. They were fighting for first place with the Cubs for the first couple of weeks.

EDIT: Yeah, before yesterday, the Reds had lost 11 in a row. That will drop you in a hurry.

Edited by Rezzy