Baseball 2017 Season Discussion

Rezzy

I heard about that. The Dolphins had a moment of silence at their game today for him (the Dolphins are the Miami NFL team, so...).

Pirates don't look like they'll make the playoffs this time, so I haven't been playing much attention to them anymore right now.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about that. The Dolphins had a moment of silence at their game today for him (the Dolphins are the Miami NFL team, so...).

Pirates don't look like they'll make the playoffs this time, so I haven't been playing much attention to them anymore right now.

Yeah, the Cubs have already clinched, so I'm just waiting the season out, now, but there's a Cubs Cardinals series this weekend, which is always interesting. I still think the Pirates might have had a chance if they had been buyers, rather than sellers for whatever inexplicable reason. None of the Wild Card teams are running away with it right now, and it seems whichever two teams avoids self-destructing completely will make it to the Wild Game game.

It's sad to see such a young player go, the Marlins are also out of it this year, but he was one of their best pitchers, too, so I wonder how it will affect their future.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this World Series is going to be exciting. The longest drought in baseball vs. the second-longest. No matter what happens, somebody's long-ass losing streak is going to be broken.

The Cubs are the only team in baseball who I wouldn't mind losing a World Series to, but getting two Cleveland championships in one year would be epic. It'll be weird being the "bad guy" for once, since Cleveland is usually the scrappy, lovable underdog (well, we ARE technically the underdog, but most people tend to ignore that due to our opponent being the long-unfortunate Chicago Cubs).

There was a Cubs cheer song played at work one day last week and I just sat there glaring to the side. I mean, I root for the Pirates, remember... xP

And this isn't even close to Chicago, this is southern NC! How random too.

Cubs are in the World Series for the first time in 71 years!

Well, this World Series is going to be exciting. The longest drought in baseball vs. the second-longest. No matter what happens, somebody's long-ass losing streak is going to be broken.

The Cubs are the only team in baseball who I wouldn't mind losing a World Series to, but getting two Cleveland championships in one year would be epic. It'll be weird being the "bad guy" for once, since Cleveland is usually the scrappy, lovable underdog (well, we ARE technically the underdog, but most people tend to ignore that due to our opponent being the long-unfortunate Chicago Cubs).

I'm definitely looking forward to this series. It's the first time in my life seeing my team make it this far.

There was a Cubs cheer song played at work one day last week and I just sat there glaring to the side. I mean, I root for the Pirates, remember... xP

And this isn't even close to Chicago, this is southern NC! How random too.

Are there many Pirates fans in your area? I guess you're sort of between Nationals and Braves territory.

Cubs fans are pretty much everywhere. I heard that they had the highest road attendance of any team, plus Chicago kind of stinks as a place to live, so there's plenty of people from Chicago who have moved elsewhere, but still are Cubs fans.

I don't know how many fans are around here, I don't actually follow the Pirates much because they're bad and I'm not a fan of watching baseball.

Too be fair, the Pirates have been pretty good lately, and they could have made the play-offs this year, if they hadn't made perplexing management decisions at the trade deadline.

No, they're bad, and the management is why they're bad. They have made the playoffs a few times recently, but notice that they never win after that! They don't go any farther! And that's super annoying and really bad management. They don't care to get this team to a World Series or anything anymore. They just care about money.

No, they're bad, and the management is why they're bad. They have made the playoffs a few times recently, but notice that they never win after that! They don't go any farther! And that's super annoying and really bad management. They don't care to get this team to a World Series or anything anymore. They just care about money.

Baseball is very luck-based once the post-season begins. The Cubs had a great team in 2007 and 2008, but they got swept in the first round of the play-offs both times. More so than any major sport, the best team doesn't always win.

The Pirates had a good team this year, but I agree with you that their front office is bad right now. There's no reason they should have been dumping players at the trade deadline, when they were still in spitting distance of the wild card. Or, if they did want to be sellers, they should have at least been honest about it, and admitted that they were rebuilding and not acted like they were fooling anybody.

Edited by Rezzy

Very luck-based? That's kind of lame. I can see you being right about that though, since baseball does seem to come down to luck more than any other sport.

And yeah, exactly.

Very luck-based? That's kind of lame. I can see you being right about that though, since baseball does seem to come down to luck more than any other sport.

And yeah, exactly.

Baseball is all about making it to the post season, then praying your team has a hot streak. The team with the best record wins the world series less than 20% of the time.

Wow, no wonder I don't find baseball very exciting to watch. xP

I think having less days off and making home field advantage actually be an advantage would make the better team win more often.

Chicago won! The Billy Goat Curse has been broken! Baseball fans the world over rejoice, as the longest losing streak in the history of the game ended only hours ago!

Well, Cardinals, White Sox, and Brewer fans aren't rejoicing at that.

:(

Well, Cardinals, White Sox, and Brewer fans aren't rejoicing at that.

:(

I've met quite a few Cardinals fans who were pulling for the Cubs.

I rooted for the Brewers when they got into the play-offs a few years ago, and will again, once Ryan Braun is off the team.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the post-season doesn't affect anything, but I'm surprised that Kyle Hendricks and Jon Lester didn't get more votes for the Cy Young award. Scherzer was good, but his ERA was pushing 3.00, when Hendricks was sub 2.00 until the last game of the season.

• 2 months later...

Another season of Baseball will soon be upon us.  My Cubs will try to defend their title as World Series Champions, and they still have the core of their team from last year, so it should hopefully be a good year.

In baseball news, the Cardinals got handed their punishment for hacking into the Astros scouting system.  Cardinal's Discipline Report

It's pretty much a slap on the wrist.  $2 million dollars and gave up their top 2 draft picks for 2017.  $2 million dollars is nothing, and they already lost their first round pick by signing Dexter Fowler this year.

Heres to another year of the Diamondbacks being mediocre at best, we really need to get our act together again.

Late, but congrats to the Cubs for breaking their curse.

Edited by Jedi

Looks to be another year in the Brewers rebuild, which is going even smoother than we expected! Going from a bottom 30 farm system to arguably having one of the better farm systems in the majors is nothing to sneeze at! And Stearns is continuing to wheel and deal, signing Neftali Feliz and Joba Chamberlain to contracts, in which the best case scenario is that they perform well enough to be traded for even more prospects at the deadline.

I'm liking the fact that not only are the Brewers players young for the most part, but so is their management. Stearns is the youngest GM in baseball (being a year younger than Ryan Braun), and Counsell's playing days are still in fresh memory

18 hours ago, Jedi said:

Heres to another year of the Diamondbacks being mediocre at best, we really need to get our act together again.

Late, but congrats to the Cubs for breaking their curse.

At least you have the 2001 World Series title to look back on.  I was rooting for them back then, since they had Mark Grace, who I grew up watching as a Cub.

17 hours ago, Bullwine85 said:

Looks to be another year in the Brewers rebuild, which is going even smoother than we expected! Going from a bottom 30 farm system to arguably having one of the better farm systems in the majors is nothing to sneeze at! And Stearns is continuing to wheel and deal, signing Neftali Feliz and Joba Chamberlain to contracts, in which the best case scenario is that they perform well enough to be traded for even more prospects at the deadline.

I'm liking the fact that not only are the Brewers players young for the most part, but so is their management. Stearns is the youngest GM in baseball (being a year younger than Ryan Braun), and Counsell's playing days are still in fresh memory

I'd like to see the Brewers come back.  To be honest, I'd like to see anybody in the Central Division unseat the Cardinals, since it seems they never seem to finish below 2nd.  The Cubs farm system could use replenishing a bit, but that's just because most of their talent already got called up or was traded, but I'd say the World Series was worth it.

I still think the punishment for the Cardinals should have been harsher.  That fact that everyone thinks it's a slap on the wrist, and even Cardinals fans think they got off light means it's probably not that bad a punishment.

12 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

At least you have the 2001 World Series title to look back on.  I was rooting for them back then, since they had Mark Grace, who I grew up watching as a Cub.

Yeah that was a great one, my Mom was a huge fan of Grace. I myself loved Randy Johnson and he's the reason I love pitching. the entire team was pretty great overall too, so many legends. 

The whole series with the Yankees was a great nailbiter too.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Yeah that was a great one, my Mom was a huge fan of Grace. I myself loved Randy Johnson and he's the reason I love pitching. the entire team was pretty great overall too, so many legends. 

The whole series with the Yankees was a great nailbiter too.

Yeah, Randy Johnson was a big Cub Killer, I can't remember the Cubs beating him a single time his whole career.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Yeah, Randy Johnson was a big Cub Killer, I can't remember the Cubs beating him a single time his whole career.

I'd have to look into that haha, the Braves never did too hot against him either.