Advance Wars Concept Art

Hardin

Ryo Hirata, the character designer for the Advance Wars trilogy has recently joined twitter, and he has posted some old artwork from his Intelligent Systems days. As a Fire Emblem site I figured a few of us would appreciate seeing it.

Cg0d_F0UUAUTD-Z.jpg

Cg0gQRAU0AANDhY.jpg

Cg0j6jeU4AAiMOC.jpg

Cg0j58BU0AApfqJ.jpg

Cg0j6aYVEAAzQn5.jpg

Cg0wD9YUYAAC0Vh.jpg

Cg2MDoTU0AAVW-G.jpg

Cg2MDiQU4AAFEkd.jpg

I am so confused about some of the height differences in that picture><

Jess and Nell are tall, Sonja of all people is average height, and all the other women are tiny!

also I always imagined Sturm to just tower over buildings like Aku from Samurai Jack

Though I appreciate the art, I've never been the biggest fan of Advance War's "cartoon army" aesthetic. I personally prefer the first picture; it's stylized, yet believable.

Damn I miss this series. I wish they'd make another game again. Days of Ruin was awesome and I really wanted to see what they'd do with that aura-based CO system in the future once they started exploring things other than simple offense-defense boosts.

Man, I would like another Advance Wars game.

While I am nostalgic about the originals (1 & 2, Dual Strike), Days of Ruin was arguably the best gameplay-wise. The art style I had to adjust to, but I miss my Advance Wars games...

Now I wonder what Advance Wars would look like if Kozaki (Awakening and Fates artist) did some of the art...

Man, I would like another Advance Wars game.

While I am nostalgic about the originals (1 & 2, Dual Strike), Days of Ruin was arguably the best gameplay-wise. The art style I had to adjust to, but I miss my Advance Wars games...

Now I wonder what Advance Wars would look like if Kozaki (Awakening and Fates artist) did some of the art...

That would be interesting...

Honestly I preferred the tone of Days of Ruin as well, not just the gameplay, mostly because not only did the characters feel like real people and not the creepily disconnected sociopaths of the originals, but it also was funnier in my opinion than the original games were.

But really in the grand scheme of things, if they made a new advance wars game, I think I'd be happy even if they didn't continue what Days of Ruin started.