President Kimishima on Fire Emblem Mobile

Hardin

Here is his statement on the game and franchise from the investor briefing.

Yesterday, we announced that we will follow Miitomo with Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, two new applications based on our IPs, as the next steps in our smart device business.
We will provide more details about these applications closer to the launch period, but I will provide a brief description of both of them today.
47l.jpg
The first IP is Fire Emblem.
Fire Emblem is a pioneering role-playing simulation game series, combining the tactical elements of a simulation game with the character customization elements of a role-playing game.
It is also well known by the catchphrase "tough-to-beat simulation." This high-quality simulation game depicts intense battles in a sword-and-sorcery world inhabited by unique and charming characters, making it well-loved by fans.
Fifteen titles have been released in this series, from Fire Emblem: Ankokuryu to Hikari no Ken (Japanese title) in 1990 to the latest title, Fire Emblem Fates.
This series has many passionate fans, particularly among gamers in their 20s and 30s.
As I mentioned before, the latest title, Fire Emblem Fates, is selling well in America and has found a wide audience outside of Japan as well.
We have also released many spin-off titles and related products, and this has become a major IP for Nintendo, both in name and in substance.
48.jpg
We are currently developing an application for smart devices based on Fire Emblem.
We expect that many consumers will experience Fire Emblem for the first time on their smart device, so this application will offer a more accessible style of gameplay compared to the titles for dedicated video game systems. At the same time, we still aim to provide a fully engaging experience as a role-playing simulation game.
We plan to release both of these applications in fall 2016. Both of these are pure game applications. Compared to Miitomo, they have more prominent game elements, so consumers will be able to play as they like, and the game content will connect to our business.
Edited by Hardin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have also released many spin-off titles

Aside from Smash, there's, like, one. XD Unless you count the Satelaview title, which they seem to have included in the number, so...

Stoked that they decided to make FE the first IP, though. I thought they were going with Professor Layton first? I've only heard that once.

"Fire Emblem is now a major franchise to Nintendo now"

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

anyways I'm still skeptical of this game

I'm kind of hoping that they return to the 2D style of the GBA games

extra EDIT: also, he mentions that there are 15 titles in the series

That Means Conquest is 15 and Birthright is 14 (does that mean the 3rd path is noncannon)

Edited by Captain Karnage

extra EDIT: also, he mentions that there are 15 titles in the series

That Means Conquest is 15 and Birthright is 14 (does that mean the 3rd path is noncannon)

So I'm not the only one who doesn't acknowledge Revelations exists. Yay

I'll get the app tbh, and if it's fun yay, if it isn't, yay.

Internally the Satteliview games(or BSFE as they are more commonly called) are considered a numbered entry, which puts them at 15 so far as IS are concerned. Fan numbering systems just don't count these, so it leads to a discrepancy

Internally the Satteliview games(or BSFE as they are more commonly called) are considered a numbered entry, which puts them at 15 so far as IS are concerned. Fan numbering systems just don't count these, so it leads to a discrepancy

Are we sure Conquest/Birthright aren't being counted as two? I don't see anything representing BSFE in that collage image.

Edited by L95

For these types of discussions, Nintendo generally refers only to retail software.

didn'y you just tell me in another thread that Nintendo is making the games while DeNA was just handling the online

I am fairly certain of it, because I remember this same question being asked previously in the series history when game numbers in official publications didn't match with what we were used to calling them.

Edited by Satin. Dark Lord of Fabric

didn'y you just tell me in another thread that Nintendo is making the games while DeNA was just handling the online

Yes that is correct, in this thread I was referring to the 15 games statement.

I'm pretty sure they're not counting revelations because it can't be bought on its own. You have to buy birthright or conquest first.

Edited by Matthewtheman

This is true. According to IS/Nintendo staff, Fire Emblem Fates is collectively FE15 rather than FE14 that many of us fans like to go with. Akaneia Saga (BS FE) is referred to as FE5 rather than Thracia 776 (which is referred to as FE6 according to IS/Nintendo staff).

Aside from Smash, there's, like, one. XD Unless you count the Satelaview title, which they seem to have included in the number, so...

Stoked that they decided to make FE the first IP, though. I thought they were going with Professor Layton first? I've only heard that once.

Cipher is also a spinoff title technically.

Nintendo doesn't own the Layton IP, so that was never on the cards.

Along with Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE and the original TCG.

Still pretty hyped though. Can't wait to see the characters and the features of that mobile FE title.

I wouldn't look to deeply into that statement. I mean he could be talking about things Smash Bros and Code Name STEAM as games that feature Fire Emblem, rather than pure spin-off material.

You could say that saying BSFE as a legit "spin-off" is... well...

*SUNGLASSES*

...BS.

But yeah.. I'm just a little confused about that statement.

What Hardin said. Or maybe the translator just messed up there and it should be "several spinoffs" instead of "many".

Some more from the Q&A.

Q: I would like to ask about game design for smart device applications. Is Animal Crossing a title that places emphasis on the synergy with dedicated video game systems? Is the game design of Fire Emblem going to be aimed at contributing to earnings? I would like you to explain the objectives of the two titles recently introduced. I would also like you to tell us, to the extent possible, what aspects you would like to reinforce with the remaining two titles to be released before March 2017.
A: We chose Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem as titles to follow Miitomo from the viewpoint of increasing the diverse types of consumers interested in Nintendo, and widening opportunities for game play. The Animal Crossing series has been played by a wide range of consumers including children and women. I think there is a good chance that those consumers would enjoy this. As for Fire Emblem, it is not so much the width of the audience as the existence of die-hard fans who have stuck to the series for a long time. We selected two titles of different categories and IP to reach as many consumers as possible. We are not limiting the IP for the titles that will follow these two. We will continue to prepare titles using IP that many consumers are familiar with.

So they mention the long-term fans. Does that mean they're finally going to acknowledge games other than Archanea and Awakening again?

those are the best games though

if they do reference other games I hope it means Jugdral and maybe Magvel because I'd rather not see Tellius and Elibe everywhere ever again

So they mention the long-term fans. Does that mean they're finally going to acknowledge games other than Archanea and Awakening again?

I really hope so.

Ideally this game will be like Record Keeper which is a celebration of all games across the entire franchise. I'd love to have events based on the different games where we can recruit characters that aren't Marth and Lucina.