The Rate-a-Card thread

I'm hoping to do something a little productive and it's pretty ambitious.

I wanna have an analysis of every card to be released, and have pros and cons, for new players so they can understand what makes a card good and bad. Also for more experienced players wanting to try a new themed deck, or try some new tech or even give it a try so they can reinforce and utilise their own experience.

Hopefully the community will offer their own opinions of cards so we can have balanced opinions on cards and different views.

I'm gonna be going in numerical order from set 1 onwards, so if there's a card you wanna suggest gets looked at sooner, post it! Otherwise you could be waiting a while >_>

B1-001 Saviour of Archanea, Marth

Rating:

Good, Run 0 - 2

Cost 5/4

Insignia: Red

Weapon: Sword

Attack: 70

Support: 20

Range: 1

Class: Lodestar

Skill 1: "Victory Nears" ACT [Flip 3 Bonds, discard one "Marth" from your hand] Until the end of your opponents turn, all ally units gain 30 attack.

Skill 2: "Falchion" CONT While this unit attacks a Dragon unit, this unit gains +20 attack.

Pros:

+ 20 Support

++ Skill 1 is a powerful game ender, and has solid utility

+ Falchion allows him to climb a Dragon Affinity who normally does well against him AKA Gerome 4

Cons:

- Skill 1 is both niche, and expensive for what it offers

- Cost 5/4 means he's out turn 4 if he's your MC, means he comes out rather late.

Opinion:

I don't mind Marth 5, though I've always had the opinion he's just that little bit too expensive for what he offers, and with the advent of Set 4 Marth and the promo Marth 3, I don't personally see too much of a reason to use him.

He definitely has some utility though, his Skill 1 is great at ending games, offering a +30 to all allies, making him a 100 base and making a small 40 base, a now more intimidating 70 base. Do this when your opponent is low on orbs and you have good board presence, you have a recipe for a clean win.

On top of this, should you FAIL to win the turn you use it, your units keep the +30 until the end of your opponents next turn, which means Marth 5 can effectively wall your opponent provided they don't have crits to climb him. Because this buff is all allies, this can also give a powerful board some staying power, as it makes your opponents job more difficult of simply Clearing your dominating board out and turning the odds in his favour.

Falchion does have its uses, Gerome 4 for example, is a pretty strong Dragon Affinity who counters Sword users by becoming an 80, Marth topples that by becoming a 90. Of course, Archers are usually a better option, but if you don't have access to any, Marth 5 can do the trick just fine.

He's a 20 support which means he's not hurting other units if he supports them, you want to avoid 10 supports because they hurt your offensive/defensive pressure on opponents.

Now, his Skill 1 while it is powerful, I feel is also incredibly expensive. 3 bonds and a discard of a Marth that could be used to crit/evade? Because of how costly this skill is, it's not something you're going to be using very frequently. For that reason, most of the time he might as well be a vanilla 70. It's something to keep in mind when using him.

Finally, while its not a huge con, it's a potential issue, he's a cost 5/4. Basically, he's not coming out early unless you're using bond acceleration (Which at the time of writing this, I feel is incredibly inconsistent.) he's out turn 4 at the earliest. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be frustrating if he's your only Marth promote, your opponent is gonna take every advantage they can get, and if they're promoting and you can't, you're gonna have to sacrifice orbs. Risk vs Reward I suppose.

B01-002 Deposed Prince, Marth

Rating:

Bad, Run 0

Cost: 2

Attack: 50

Class: Lord

Skill 1: "Heros Morale" CONT While there are 2 or more ally Red units on the battlefield, this unit gains 10 attack.

Pros:

+ Skill is relatively easy to activate

+ Can be a 2 cost, base 60

+ 20 Support?

Cons:

--- Promo Marth 3 makes this card completely irrelevant

Opinion:

There isn't very much to say here. Skill 1 can be pretty easily activated because of how many good Cost 1 Reds exist which makes him a base 60 during your turn, which is kinda okay and he's a 20 support which is fine.

Marth 3 makes this card completely irrelevant. He's promotion cost is on par with Marth 2, he's ALWAYS a 60 (and sometimes a 70, but we'll get to that) so there's no reason to use this card.

I wouldn't ever use this card stand-alone either, it's just not great IMO.

B01-003 Crown Prince of Altea, Marth

Rating:

Staple, Run 1 as your MC

Cost: 1

Attack: 40

Class: Lord

Skill 1: "Young Hero" ACT [Tap This Unit, Tap 1 other ally unit] Select 1 enemy unit and move it. This skill cannot be used unless this unit is in the Frontline

Support Skill: Attack Emblem, "Emblem of Heroism" If the attacking unit is a Red unit, any orbs that the unit destroys by battle becomes 2.

Pros:

++ Board Manipulation!

+ Skill 1 is cheap for what it offers

+ Attack Emblem is good I guess?

+ 20 Support

+ Base 40

Cons:

- Skill 1 is only usable if Marth is on frontline

- Falls off past early game

Opinion:

Marth 1 is a pretty great MC. He's a base 40 which is standard, and a 20 support which is good (Not that I'd be running anymore than 1 anyways).

His Skill 1 is powerful, anything that allows you to control your opponents board, is quite good. You can make your opponent force march by moving their singular frontline to the back, and bring all their squishies forward, you can pull weaklings to the front and run over them and all you have to do is tap him and 1 other unit.

Unfortunately, he needs to be on the frontline to do this, and early game it's quite easy to take multiple orbs before your opponents strategy gets up and running, so by moving your opponents board around, you're not attacking them.

Apart from that though, he's a super solid MC with a pretty good Skill 1 if you can find the time to use it. Definitely my choice of MC for Marth.

B01-004 Angelic Advocate of Affection, Caeda

Rating:

Excellent, Run 4

Cost 4/3

Weapon: Lance

Attack: 60

Support: 30

Class: Falcoknight

Affinities: Flying, Mounted

Skill 1: Persuasion AUTO [Flip 1 Bond] If an enemy is destroyed by this units attack, and you pay the cost, then you may select any Red card except Caeda from your deck, and place it in your hand. You must show it to your opponent, and shuffle your deck afterwards.

Skill 2: "Angelic Flight" ACT Once Per Turn Move this unit. This skill cannot be used if this unit is tapped.

Pros:

+++ Persuasion is cheap, with great utility

+ Only have to pay cost for Skill 1 on win

+ Free move before attack

+ 30 Support

Cons:

-- Bow/Wind skill weakness

- 60 attack

- Persuasion only searches for reds

Opinion:

I'm a really big fan of this card, being one of the only cards in the game (currently) that can search your deck, Caeda 4 offers utility that almost no other card in the game can provide. Plenty of cards can retrieve from the retreat, but she can pull from the deck.

Being able to toolbox your deck is good for a few reasons. First off, it thins your deck out giving you more chance of drawing, or supporting a card you want. Second off, she can pull crits and evades which is awesome, while reducing the odds that you'll support yourself (Because adding a Crit to your hand, means you've removed a potential self-support) and third, she can pull promotes and set up for next turn.

She has all of this utility for only 1 bond, which is cheap for how powerful it is.

Speaking of Persuasion though, she runs into a pretty notable problem - She's only a base 60. With a 30 support she's only hitting a base 90 which pretty much every 70 should be hitting with their eyes closed. If THEY support a 30, she's simply not climbing them. Buffing her attack makes her more likely to swing over stuff, and allows you to gain advantage which is a way around this issue. She can quite happily run over squishies for easy advantage though, which is nice.

Her Skill 2 has some pretty neat utility too, you can keep Caeda 1 in the back line for example until you promote her, and then move her for free, or you can hide her in the back if you feel she's not safe, or she's not gonna kill something. The ability to freely move around the board before attacking is really handy when you have it.

Now, all fliers have innate weakness to the bow ability Clearing the Skies, and Mages with wind magic skills that deal extra damage to fliers. Caeda is not immune to this, and it really impacts her survivability. A cost 1 Archer is on equal footing with her if they attack which is pretty scary for her.

There are ways around it, Iotes Shield from Minerva 4 negates Clearing the Skies, which can help her survivability, though being a 60 base she's gonna have trouble surviving anyways.

She's a 30 support which is good as always, adding consistency to your supports, and allowing your bigger units to win battles.

All up, I think she's an excellent card sporting one if the best skills in the game offset by being JUST too weak to kill bigger units and having bow/Wind weaknesses.

B01-005 Wings of Restoration, Caeda

Rating:

Bad, Run 0

Cost 2

Weapon: Lance

Attack: 40

Support: 30

Class: Pegasus Knight

Affinities: Flying, Mounted

Skill 1: Wing Spear CONT When attacking a Mounted or Armor affinity unit, this unit's attack power is increased by 20.

Skill 2: Rescue ACT Tap This Unit Choose one ally unit, and move it.

Pros:

+ Skill 1 makes her a 60 base and procs semi-reliably

+ Rescue is neat

+ 30 support

Cons:

-- Bow/Wind Skill weakness

- Skill 1 procs semi-reliably

- 40 base attack

- Cost 2 is pretty meh

Opinion:

Caeda 2 has some very fundamental problems. Her Skill 1 activates pretty often, and it makes her a 60 (the equivalent of her Cost 4) but we don't like skills activation pretty often. Her Skill is only as good as your opponents deck. If you face someone who uses nothing but infantry for example, she's just a really expensive 40 base with a bunch of weaknesses. Having a Skill that relies on your OPPONENT rather than yourself is a huge problem, because they're an unknown factor. You want to build a deck around factors you can control as much as humanely possible (E.G. I'm running a deck with units who gain attack depending on how many reds I have on board, not my opponent)

Rescue is a pretty handy Skill truth be told, being able to move units you control forward or back simply by tapping her is really good. The issue here, is most cost 1 fliers in general have this skill, which immediately removes it's effectiveness.

If we combine this with Bow/Wind weaknesses, we're looking at a rather weak card that has a lot of competition with no real reasons to use her.

I feel that general deckbuilding/gameplay guidelines would be more helpful to new players in determining if a card is good or not rather than specifics on every single card. You're going to be typing a lot of redundant information most of the time and it just seems like a waste of effort. Writing comments on the most common/useful/meta seen cards would be a better resource in my opinion.

Comments on the currently presented information:
- The new Cost 1 Marth from Set 4 is a better Marth MC starter than the Set 1 because you aren't even going to be using set 1's ability anyway over attacking early game. At least if you start first the new cost 1 Marth lets you look at an orb.
- Cost 4 Caeda is good but it doesn't necessarily mean you always want to run 4 of her - it depends on the composition of your deck as a whole. If you are going for a super rush deck there's no need to play her. If you put too many high costs in a deck in general you get stuck with no early game, which is also bad. Just a minor nitpick on blanket statements of "always play 4" :P Maybe you can mention the decks that do want to max her? (Sirius, Tsubasa, Set 1 Marth, Minerva).
- Cost 2 Caeda is useable in the new set 4 Marth because she's a cost 2 and can be picked up for free if supported/is the most useful red flier available in this situation (you'd run cost 1s before the cost 2s, of course).

I feel that general deckbuilding/gameplay guidelines would be more helpful to new players in determining if a card is good or not rather than specifics on every single card. You're going to be typing a lot of redundant information most of the time and it just seems like a waste of effort. Writing comments on the most common/useful/meta seen cards would be a better resource in my opinion.

I agree, but we also see a lot of players on here who are using cards and don't understand what makes them bad, or good. They struggle to build decks because they don't have an understanding of the pros and cons of a card, and what it offers to a deck.

This is simply trying to make it a little easier on them. I know I'll be typing a lot of the stuff over and over, and I'm sure most players will skim over 90% of it.

That 10% I'm sure will appreciate it though, and that's what I'm aiming for. It's just another resource that can be used on top of deckbuilding and meta information.

Comments on the currently presented information:

- The new Cost 1 Marth from Set 4 is a better Marth MC starter than the Set 1 because you aren't even going to be using set 1's ability anyway over attacking early game. At least if you start first the new cost 1 Marth lets you look at an orb.

Great points. This is exactly what I was hoping would happen. I prefer the option that set 1 Marth has to move units around, that to me is better than looking at an orb IMO, though both of them are pretty powerful, I just prefer it. Great points though, and if you don't mind I'll add it to one of the cards at some point.

- Cost 4 Caeda is good but it doesn't necessarily mean you always want to run 4 of her - it depends on the composition of your deck as a whole. If you are going for a super rush deck there's no need to play her. If you put too many high costs in a deck in general you get stuck with no early game, which is also bad. Just a minor nitpick on blanket statements of "always play 4" :P Maybe you can mention the decks that do want to max her? (Sirius, Tsubasa, Set 1 Marth, Minerva).

She's a card I absolutely believe should be ran at 4. Toolboxing is really powerful in any card game and being able to thin your deck out and fetch crits/promotes is too good to ignore.

She's a cost 4, sure, but her being a 30 support means she'll be useful to you in your deck, and she's bond fodder if you pull her too early -- No decks I know of at least, revolve around using her effect which means she isn't necessarily core to the deck.

But, I'd definitely like to -- at some point at least; give advice as to what can go where in which deck. But we'll see.

- Cost 2 Caeda is useable in the new set 4 Marth because she's a cost 2 and can be picked up for free if supported/is the most useful red flier available in this situation (you'd run cost 1s before the cost 2s, of course).

Great point, I hadn't considered that. Though there are a myriad of cards I'd use before I considered Caeda 2.

I honestly want to see reviews on cards like Hardin/Wolf/Vyland

they may or may not be in my deck

Coming up! I'm working on a few, I'll throw them in the bunch. Should be done later today.