The Static Sprites of a Fool

Yoshthethird

2 hours ago, Metakirby said:

I can't sprite but I really love what you're doing! I'm really curious to see more. 

If you need some ideas, I'll be curious to see a dark druid pre promote and a dark druid promoted, I'm sure you could do something awesome with this class! 

Thank you!

No thanks, I'm chock full of ideas.  The Dark Druid is a purposely overpowered and oversized boss class that I can't imagine having relations with any other classes.  It's just a big Druid, if it had a prepromote it'd prolly just look like a standard Druid. And I can't fathom a sprite of a promotion, how could one make the Dark Druid BIGGER and MORE FLASHY? One shouldn't.  Imo.  I'm not a fan of the class.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah it's maybe because one day I saw some random guy doing a really good dark druid pre promote so it was just curiosity aha! Yeah no I was saying the dark druid but refreshed like you are doing ^^

Anyway I'll look forward to see some more sprites! 

How does the first draft for my Soldier redesign look?

7Dk1gfD.gif

Aesthetically, I went for an Awakening-esque design, but with some inspiration from historical hypaspists in the helmet and shield.  I really liked the Awakening appearance because it made soldiers look less like dismounted Cavaliers like they did in Tellius.

I wanted to add more flair in the animation, as the GBA Soldier is tiny and expendable.  My only problem is what I did with the return.  I kept the vanilla return but sped it up, I wanted more of  a graceful turn than a clumsy walk like it used to have.  Maybe I'll add some blurs? Or maybe change it entirely.  Not sure yet.

Edited by Yoshthethird

The armour and helmet feel a bit pillow-shade-y. Try moving the highlights up?

The return looks fine to me. The spear pounding, however, looks like... half a crit? You don't usually get pre-attack posturing on normal attacks, but it's not elaborate enough for a crit. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I 'm going to say what I think even if I can' t advice you on the technical aspect. Indeed you can do a better return, I like to have the feeling of awesomness but the fact that it's speedy is a bit strange to my eyes. Maybe it's just me though. 

The animation is very great but I have a feeling of critical too when I see the lance animation. 

I really love the shield, maybe it could be better to do a design like this for the helmet? Like seeing the details like the shield :D but I don't know if it's possible so ^^

Do you plan to do a rework of the general?

Edited by Metakirby

11 hours ago, vilkalizer said:

The armour and helmet feel a bit pillow-shade-y. Try moving the highlights up?

The return looks fine to me. The spear pounding, however, looks like... half a crit? You don't usually get pre-attack posturing on normal attacks, but it's not elaborate enough for a crit. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Yeah I can see that, the base sprite is pretty old.  Let's see if I can tweak it.

And yeah I also agree it looks almost showy enough to ALMOST be a crit.  I thought the just really back looked kinda lame with out something to add flair, but perhaps too much flair?

7 hours ago, Metakirby said:

I 'm going to say what I think even if I can' t advice you on the technical aspect. Indeed you can do a better return, I like to have the feeling of awesomness but the fact that it's speedy is a bit strange to my eyes. Maybe it's just me though. 

The animation is very great but I have a feeling of critical too when I see the lance animation. 

I really love the shield, maybe it could be better to do a design like this for the helmet? Like seeing the details like the shield :D but I don't know if it's possible so ^^

Do you plan to do a rework of the general?

Understandable.

Yeah I'm gonna play around with a few more things.

And no I think the General is fine, especially with all the custom work people have done with it without changing the sprite.

1 hour ago, vilkalizer said:

I don't think it's too much flair, necessarily, so much as it's too crit-pose-y flair. It'd work if it was more like initiating the attack, less... pre-attack.

dkQEB4Y.gif

Something more like that maybe?

You're too amazing stop making everything I do look better before I even have a chance haha!  But yes, definitely more along the lines of that.  I'm still fiddling with some stuff, but maybe I'll move the tap-tap part to the critical.  Hm.

The pause with the spear raised is a little long. Either reducing or entirely removing the pause to make it more smooth

oH6AbFh.gif

or adding a glint at the tip while he's pausing

sidPRB8.gif (non-transparent because argh white effects on white bg)

would make it more interesting.

However, there's one big issue,

5pWl1of.png

namely that the twirl smear is too small for the spear it's supposed to represent. The spear actually shrinks when he begins to spin it.

Sadly it isn't going to be an easy fix, since I'm pretty sure it's going to cut into the ground when he brings it back if you just make it bigger, which looks awkward.

7 hours ago, vilkalizer said:

The pause with the spear raised is a little long. Either reducing or entirely removing the pause to make it more smooth

oH6AbFh.gif

or adding a glint at the tip while he's pausing

sidPRB8.gif (non-transparent because argh white effects on white bg)

would make it more interesting.

However, there's one big issue,

5pWl1of.png

namely that the twirl smear is too small for the spear it's supposed to represent. The spear actually shrinks when he begins to spin it.

Sadly it isn't going to be an easy fix, since I'm pretty sure it's going to cut into the ground when he brings it back if you just make it bigger, which looks awkward.

Yeah I want the holding the spear up part to last longer, so the glint is a good idea.

But yeah I know the spear twirl is too small.  I meant it to imply that the spear is being held at an angle that isn't... er... perpendicular to the screen.  Like it's dipping into the third dimension? Does that make sense?

The proper way to do that is to make one end of the lance bigger than normal and the other smaller. That creates the illusion of depth, whereas in your animation, you shrunk both sides, which makes it look far away or small. I recommend referencing some gifs or videos of movement to get a good feel of what it'd look like.

3 minutes ago, Lord of Gabriel Knight said:

The proper way to do that is to make one end of the lance bigger than normal and the other smaller. That creates the illusion of depth, whereas in your animation, you shrunk both sides, which makes it look far away or small. I recommend referencing some gifs or videos of movement to get a good feel of what it'd look like.

Gotcha! That makes sense.  I'll fiddle with those twirly bits then.

1 minute ago, vilkalizer said:

pjcZWkZ.gif

The twirl basically makes a disc shape. No matter how far it's tilted, its widest point is going to be as wide as the object that's being spun.

You are the master of visuals examples vilk.  I'll continue to work at it!

And as always, thanks everyone for the feedback.  I wanna be the best I can be.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

Please tell me you'll keep going with these AMAZING animations! You've got this! ;)

Haha, I'm glad you like them.  Yeah, I've actually made a few recently.  I've also been working on another project with other people and I don't really think those are mine to show off.  But I still can't help working on my own personal projects.  Might post some soon.  They're kinda all over the place.