Copyright Claim on FE Fates Credits Video by "Being Inc"

Big Klingy

I'm posting here because I want to know if anyone can clarify something for me. I've had a video series on Fire Emblem fates going for a while now on Youtube. Between Birthright and Conquest, I've uploaded over 100 videos, none of which ever had any copyright problems.

Today, I uploaded the final video of Birthright, which contained the ending and credits. And it immidiately got hit by a copyright claim bot. One that MUTED THE ENTIRE VIDEO, a severity I've never had before. I had a feeling the end credits version of "Lost In Thoughts All Alone" might cause issues, but there are a few things here that make me suspicious.

-The point in the audio that's claimed is not the part where the song starts. I've had false copyright claims before and they all seemed to follow the same pattern: claiming arbitrary points of music.

-Several prominant Youtubers, like AbdallahSmash, have uploaded the credits with no issues.

-The claim was not by Nintendo, it was by "Being Inc". According to Wikipedia: "Being Incorporated (株式会社ビーイング Kabushiki Gaisha Beingu?), d.b.a. Being Giza Group, is a Japanese private entertainment conglomerate based in Tokyo's Roppongi district, founded on November 1, 1978 by musician Daiko Nagato.[1] Being Inc. and its subsidiaries are the main supplier of theme music for the anime series Detective Conan As of May 2011, 77 theme tunes have been supplied to the anime by Being Inc."

Unless Being Inc owns Lost in Thoughts All Alone, I highly dispute this. I don't want to try and appeal the clain until somoene confirms for me they don't, though. I know the Smash Bros version of the song got muted, so I would't be surprised if this did... though that doesn't explain why the big Youtubers get a free pass.

If anyone can help with this, let me know. I was just trying to give my final thoughts on the game, and I was talking through pretty much the entire song.

And I should also point out: my videos are not monitized.

Edited by Big Klingy

if my sources are correct, Renka (the person who did the Japanese version of Lost in Thoughts All Alone) is under the label of Being Inc, but I can't find anything that looks solid to me.

Are you talking over the Japanese version of the song or the English version? If it's the English version you shouldn't be getting hit with copyright strikes like that, since it's done by Rena Strober who's a voice actor first and foremost.

It's the Englsih version. And that's why this is so weird. Anyone hear of any other cases of the ENGLISH version getting claimed by those who own the Japanese rights?

The part Youtube points to has Rena Strober's voice, clearly. So it seems like they're hammering down on ALL versions of the song, not just the Japanese version. Note: no cutscenes where she sings, nor End of All, ever triggered copyright for me. ONLY the credits version.

It's the Englsih version. And that's why this is so weird. Anyone hear of any other cases of the ENGLISH version getting claimed by those who own the Japanese rights?

Oh yeah, I was listening to Lost in thoughts all Alone on one video until they pulled up the Copyright gun and blasted the audio.

Well the credits say Being Inc is responsible for the song, so it IS a legitimate claim. I seem to the the first Let's Player who's had this problem though, which is.... very weird.

TomFawkes on YouTube has been doing an LP of all Routes and tweeted about the credits being copyrighted. I figured it was the real deal since YouTube has been working to lessen fake claims.

It's clearly the real deal, Being Inc has a legitimate claim to the song if the credits are to be believed.

I guess I'll just have to reupload the video, but with the credits portion muted, and do post-commentary over it.

So here's the thing, they shouldn't actually hold the copyright to the song and it's theme, but it's also iffy considering it's Renka's debut song. This is a piece of music appearing in a Nintendo and Intelligent Systems game, they are the ones who should be the copyright holders of the music. I just watched the credits and the only thing Being Inc. was credited for was that the recording and mixing engineers were from them (and of course Renka being under their label as the Japanese voice, but this is the English version, so she has nothing to do with it). I've looked on the Wikipedia page and all over and Being Inc.'s only connection to it is that Renka is under their label. In all honesty, the copyright for Lost in Thoughts All Alone (at least the English version) should be under Nintendo and Intelligent Systems, since it does not contain Renka's voice. Hiroki Morishita who is the composer for the song was previously a composer for Awakening.

Anyhow, sorry if it's a bit scattered and all over the place (or redundant), but that's what I got from looking up the various people involved in the creation of the song. I really think you should appeal it. Some more prominent YouTubers still have the sound on their videos (i.e. GameXplain), but others are having it removed, so this is just odd.

I also ran afoul of this with my Conquest run. I ended up just separating out the offending part into its own section in a rather ugly way, but it stopped Youtube from muting the rest of the video. I might not have even bothered keeping that muted section if not for the fact that a few character endings played by during that time. My Youtube copies are kind of secondary to my Twitch, anyway. Speaking of which, Twitch is usually pretty anal about copyright stuff, but they didn't mute any of the copy I have on their servers.