Ephraim demonstrates why he's the biggest Gary Stu in the series

Here, check this out.

So, let me tell you a little story. I'm going through FE8 with 20% increased growths, and a couple other changes I felt like doing (I gave Gleipnir effectiveness so it isn't the worst possible legendary weapon ever cause I am a sucker for dark mages in FE, and gave naglfar 7 weight so Lyon isn't a chump, which I'll probably regret). Playing Last Hope, I am in a terrible situation: Innes was trapped between two generals in the eastern treasure chamber. Heroes and Warriors were going for Mansel after I had to bail out the northern group. I could only rescue Mansel to avoid game over, but that'd mean losing Innes. 3 turns until the chapter ends, so that isn't an option. So I chose to warp Ephraim right under Riev's nose and kill him with Siegmund.

But, I made my calculations wrong, and Riev was left at one HP and ready to finish Ephraim off in the enemy phase.

As I was getting ready to load my savestate restart because I don't do cheats because I couldn't think of anything else to get away with everyone alive, Riev attacked Ephraim.

13124533_924774394305883_744217650072124

Ephraim dodged the 82% death blow, killed Riev kicked Riev's ass out of the castle, and proceeded to get a perfect level (he had already capped speed and skill).

Why am I posting this here? No reason, other than the fact that I am still fucking amazed. I did not RGN abuse that, I'll admit I am not the cleanest player ever (I hate hp only levels, although I don't go as far as to make everyone have perfect levels everytime, and I might RGN abuse the occassional 5% bullshit crit), but I wouldn't have had the patience to sit 5 hours trying to make Ephraim dodge that. Instead, he did something even LESS probable.

Anyone there care to run the maths? I'd like to know just how strong Ephraim's plot armor really is.

Edited by Rubenio

But if you analyze Ephraim, he's not a Gary Stu. Not only does the story point out that Lyon is smarter than Ephraim, but it points out that all Ephraim excelled at was combat. While that makes for a great general, and possibly a good emperor, it does NOT necessarily make for a great king. I thought Ephraim was a Stu when I played the game years ago, but coming back years later, he has enough weaknesses to be considered a normal guy. He's just good in combat. He's like Hector but considerably less brash and irritable.

Yeah the narrative makes it a point to show constantly how Ephraim is good warrior but really immature and unsuited for leadership. Like, Seth is constantly exasperated by him during his route and can be surprisingly passive aggressive. It's completely different from like, Frederick or Camilla or Xander who constantly enable their game's lord's stupidity. His route is basically him maturing into his role as a proper leader.

I'm going through FE8 with 20% increased growths ... perfect level (he had already capped speed and skill).

I suspect these qualifiers might have something to do with it tbh

i'd like to know how numbers make this guy a gary stu

op i don't think you know what plot armor is

98+26 = Gary

2 x 26 = Stu

I've solved the equation

All in all Ephraim has shades of it (Taking a castle with only 3 people, and somehow holding Valter off) but aside from that he doesn't really have any Stu traits.

Okay, I think i should clarify a few things:

- The 20% increased growths are for the ENEMY. It makes the game HARDER. Cmon, how could Riev survive a round to Ephraim with Siegmund if Ephraim had 20% increased growths? I thought it was obvious :facepalm:

- The thing of calling Ephraim a Gary Stu is a joke. I don't actually think he's a Gary Stu, but since so many people do think so, I just made the joke with my extremely lucky win in last hope.

- The plot armor thing is also a joke, referencing the fact that apparently Valter and a whole bunch of wyvern knights and druids can't kill him and his squad, and his apparent desire to avoid having me restarting the chapter (again, I don't actually think he's a Gary Stu).

Forgive me if i sound a tad frustrated, but everyone just misunderstood my post so badly :rolleyes:

Edited by Rubenio

• 1 month later...

Don't worry about it~

You've actually just made an amazing discovery: Ephraim is so powerful that he was able to sense your feelings through the game and muster enough strength to dodge that blow.

I wonder if he's strong enough to climb out of the gaming system yet. Creepy.

Edited by Aetherrevival

• 2 weeks later...