All i need to know before start..

Jenoss

I know that probably there will be or was been many topics like that, but i didn't find a general thread talking all the general questions i have in my mind right now..

1) Should i start conquest on hard or is better to start on normal?
I will only play it and revelations, i'm a oldschool player of FE series but i can barely manage to complete a game too much punishing (i'm thinking about lunatic/lunatic + without grinding/farming)

2) What mechanics are changed from Awakening other than the weapons triangle and the weapons durability? I still didn't manage to understand how class changes works in this game..

3) There is a tier list of best weapons/units?

4) Can i start revelation without finishing other games? (even if i only buyed other games but didn't finish them)

5) Is the story of conquest "that" bad?

6) Did you have any advice for my first playthrough?

7) There are secrets tips, or secrets map, or secrets farming/grinding tips on some chapters? (i have seen that there is a chapter in conquest where you can literally grind over characters because units go back and heals when they need..

8) Best supports conversations in conquest?

Thanks in advance for the reply

1. It's your call, but Conquest Normal is a good deal harder than Awakening Normal. I'd recommend starting with Normal, personally, and upgrading to Hard if it's too easy for you. Alternatively, you can start with Hard mode, and lower it down to Normal mid-playthrough if it gets too tough.

2. There are a number of mechanics that have changed...

• First is the Pair Up mechanic, which is now a "stance" system of sorts. You can still merge two units with each other on the same tile like in Awakening, but this puts them in Defend Stance. When in Defend Stance, the unit in front receives stat boosts from the unit in back, and as the two fight together, a "gauge" of sorts made of little shield icons will fill up. Once it's all the way full, the shields will turn blue, and the unit in back will block the next attack directed at the unit in front with 100% success rate.
    However, if the two units are simply next to each other, this is Attack Stance. The supporting unit will jump in to aid the primary unit with one single attack with 100% frequency. The attack always comes in immediately after the primary unit's first attack in the battle, and the supporting unit attacks with reduced power. The supporting unit cannot activate offensive skills when aiding another unit via Attack Stance; however, if the supporting unit is wielding a Knife or Shuriken, or another weapon that has a debuffing effect, the debuffing effect will still be applied.* However, a Defend Stance partner will always block an Attack Stance partner's attack, no matter what the current state of the shield gauge is (and it won't deplete the shield gauge when they do).
    *Incidentally, debuffs are applied even if the attack does no damage, so long as it hits; debuffs are not applied if the attack misses.
  • Reclassing is also changed a bit. Compared to Awakening, a character's level is no longer reset to 1 when reclassing. Additionally, it is impossible to revert back down to tier 1 classes after promoting into a tier 2 class; for example, a Paladin could not turn back into a Cavalier. There are also a number of Seals now, with various effects:
    Master Seals return, with the exact same function as in Awakening.
    Heart Seals are basically the same as Second Seals from Awakening.
    Friendship Seals allow a character to change into the primary class set of a character they have A+ support with. Not A or S; A+. It's its own support rank now.
    Partner Seals allow a character to change into the primary class set of the character they have S support with.
    Eternal Seals increase the level cap for the character they're used on by +5. The absolute maximum level is 99.

4. Yes, absolutely. You need to have purchased at least one out of Conquest or Birthright to buy Revelation, but that's only because Revelation is only for sale via a shop menu accessed in-game... I believe the menu option is "Explore Fates". You can play any of the routes you've bought as soon as they're finished downloading, regardless of which routes you have or haven't cleared.

There's a lot more to cover, I'm sure, but there are other people with more in-depth knowledge of the game than I have who can also help you.

Well, I'll answer in order:

1)If your are a veteran, usually you should start with Hard, there isn't any ambush respawn although many enemies have a predetermined skill set that can punish you if you make a small mistake. If can't handle Awakening's Lunatic mode without grinding then you shouldn't start with Conquest's Hard mode, it easily harder than that.

2)Pair ups changed in Fates, it's more balanced now not only for the stats bonuses but they way the work, in awakening if you have a paired up unit there is a chance for a dual attack AND a dual defense based on the paired unit's offensive and defensive stats, in fates now works as follow:
-Dual Attack ALWAYS activates ONLY if there is another unit adjecent to the unit that is attacking or is being attacked, it DOES NOT activate if the unit is paired up and the dual attack is always blocked if the opposite unit is paired up.
-Dual Defense now activates depending on how many attacks were made in a round by the paired unit, you gain little shield icons that indicates how many attacks have realized the paired up unit, with 10 shields it activates Dual Defense and block the opposite unit's attack and skills and your shield meter goes back to 0. As said before, a paired unit always activate Dual Defense to block a Dual Attack, but you don't get any shield points for that. Also you get Shield points regardless if you land a hit or not and if you get hit or dodge an attack, you get 2 shield points for each one (making Astra utterly useful as you can easily fill up your shield meter to gain another Dual Defense).

3) Can't tell, I'm new here x) but with the new side-effects in higher rank weapons I can say it mostly depends in your playstyle (Forged killer weapons are broken tho)

4) Yeah, but you it's preferable to preferable to finish at least one route, you can spoil yourself of certain key moments in the story, after all revelations is there to 'explain' certain 'holes' in the plot.

5) Nah, it isn't.

6) Take it easy, every chapter has it gimmicks, once you've figured it out you are ready to go. If you ever feel overwhelmed, there is no shame in visiting other's castles, gathering free resources and even invading to buy skills or recruiting free einherjars. And this time, you WANT to use status ailments, but you have to think when to use it.

7) Personally... I know none save for... Using Effie x) Oh! And one of the DLC's that can give you a knife/shuriken that can significally drop enemy's stats. As a general tip, BE CAREFUL with the type of units you have, one of Conquest's chapter has an insane amount of units with beastslayer.

8) I haven't grinded enough to have every suppport, but I really liked Niles x Beruka and most of Sakura's

I hope I've been helpful, have a nice day!

Edited by Silpharion

Corrin only needs A rank for Friendship Seals. And when you reclass from a promoted class, your level stays the same(if you reclass to DLC classes, you gain +20 levels if you're already promoted at that time) and you get the base class skills first before the promoted ones(1 per level up).

Forging got changed - in this game, you need duplicates of the weapon to be forged and a gem, depending on the weapon type. What is more, you can only forge according to what campaign you're on.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1. Conquest on Hard is obviously really hard especially in certain chapters where it was designed to make you cry. Endgame is one example. I suggest starting on Hard to try it out then slide down to Normal if enemy skills are too much to deal with along side the new pair up system.

2. The Pair Up system has been balanced since Awakening's lol galeforce pairings. You can pair up units as usual for stat boosts and rescue chains, but the supporting unit CANNOT dual attack anymore. There is a guard meter that fills up for every action commenced; a full guard meter will activate a dual guard 100% of the time. This is known as Guard Stance.

Whenever two units are standing next to each other, they can take part in double team battle against an opponent. If the lead unit (the one who's attacking) is paired up, they can't use attack stance with the unit next to them. The supporting unit in an attack stance will deal half the samage they would normally deal to the enemy if the supporting unit initiated the attack instead, but they can't activate skills like Luna or Sol.

Furthermore, attack stances are nullified by guard stances. The supporting unit's attack in the attack stance will be nullified regardless of any effective damage or critical hit at no cost of the guard gauge and this is recommeded for dealing hordes of enemies.

There are new seals in the game: Marriage Seals, Friendship Seals, Heart Seals, and Eternal Seals.

Marriage Seals allow the unit to reclass into their S rank partner's base class, but they DO NOT RESET TO LEVEL 1. If you're marriage sealing into a class that is unaccessible, it'll give you the choice to reclass into their secondary class instead.

Friendship Seals will allow the unit to reclass into their A+ partner's base class which is more or less BFFs, but the unit's level DOES NOT RESET TO 1.

Heart Seals are like Second seals, but the unit's level DOES NOT RESET TO 1.

Eternal Seals are seals that allows any unit to go past the 20 level cap in their promoted class. They are very expensive at a 12,000 gold price.

3. There is no such thing as a best weapon for Fates as weapons are more situational this time around. Would you want more power in exchange for losing 2 strength each turn or a weapon that boosts attack speed? If it's one thing, bronze weapons suck.

No tier lists what so ever, every unit has their own ups and downs. The male pegasus knight Subaki is different from Hinoka because of his higher defense growth and skill growth, but he is slower and a bit weaker than her in exchange for more durability.

4. You can. It's the major spoilers that'll ruin the other routes because it holds some answers to some plot points in the two stories. It's generally not recommeded to start Revelations as your first playthrough.

5. I can't say anything else due to spoilers so here's my two cents in it. I have no comment on it.

It maybe bad for me, but I know people legitimately like the story because it departed from the usual vanilla FE story. Some of the chapters are diamonds in the rough and some moments in the story are satisfying to watch.

6. If you're playing Birthright, there are a lot of squishy units in that route so +Def is definitely helpful to tank. Few units in that route like Subaki, Hinata, and Oboro have generally good defense growths. There aren't a whole bunch of enemy skills in Birthright so you're golden to try out on Hard mode.

If you're playing Conquest, try Normal to taste what the difficulty is like and decide whether you upgrade to Hard. Prepromotes are a okay to use in Conquest regardless of limited exp. Always know the enemy's skills and stats, it'll save you several resets. I cannot stress this enough.

7. You saw Caz's review on Conquest? If not, then good. No secret tips to go around.

1) Ok it seems that hard conquest is really really hard then..
But how much?

Like normal difficulty of fire emblem 7-8? Or even more?

I'm a old time fan of the series, and usually play a lot of rpgs and srpg, and always focus my level ups on 4-10 units, not more.
But the frustation of resetting 6+ times can really get my nervous :D

2) What is the point of changing classes if i can easly beat people online and buy skills?

3) Eternal seals can get my stat on cap? Around what level? (99?)

4) rng still suck? ( i get always a bad luck, like 1 lev up skill ahaha)

5) I have buyed special edition, can i play revelation since day one, or need to wait till some kind of release?

Additional to that, i don't care a lot about story spoilers, because general videos about the game already told about all the plot twist of the "real enemy of the game", than rather than spent 100+ more hours on conquest i would like to focus on the "definitive" edition..

I just feel that i don't want to put many hours on building a team on a game with not all the units and not the "real" story of the game..

6) can i change always the difficulty of the game, or only on the begin?
Difficulties change something, other than ofcourse how much is hard? (like different rewards, more support dialogues .. .. )

Thanks all for soo many replies!
I really didn't expect them ah!

I did forget about how much helpfull this community was..

1) FE7 and FE8 don't even compare to Conquest difficulty wise.

5) The Special Edition has Revelations playable from the get-go.

1. Conquest Hard is several notches above FE8 Hard (then again, so is most of the series), and a good deal harder than HHM. I'd put it somewhere between Awakening Hard and Awakening Lunatic.

2. Different weapons and bases. Also, you're not guaranteed to find the particular skill you're looking for.

3. Up to 99, but I doubt you'd grind on Conquest unless you're going for some crazy postgame team.

4. RNG's a lot more unpredictable.

5. I think you can start off with Revelations, but I wouldn't (get used to the new weapons/classes first).

6. You can bump the difficulty down (Hard to Normal) but not the other way around.

1. You could always play on hard casual - that way, it's a nice challenge, but if a unit falls in battle, they return for the next battle.

5. You can play Revelations from day one.

6. You can only change the difficulty to a lower difficulty. You can't switch it back up to a higher difficulty unless you start a whole new game. Difficulties don't affect supports at all.

And with regards to your original questions:

5. Is the story that bad? Personally, I think so, but I still had a lot of fun. There is plenty of meat in the supports to make up for the story, in my opinion.

8. Favourite supports is very subjective, of course! In general I think Mozu and Azura have great, sweet supports with most characters. The Awakening 3 (Laslow, Odin and Selena) have good supports with each other. The siblings reveal a decent amount of their characters in their supports with each other (i.e. Leo sheds light on their family background in his support with Elise. Xander shows how much he cares in his support with Camilla). Random others I like are Selena x Arthur, Azura x Arthur (for some background on Azura), Kaze/Silas x Beruka, Jakob x Nyx...

Ok Then i play Nohr normal on my second play..

What i have to know before start revelations ?(classes, spoiler of story and more) , which benefits i have in this version (other than almost all the units of both the versions)
How much long it is, and is the story good?

What are the bad things of this version in comparison to the previous ones (some units not in here, bad maps and more) ?

Right now i'm almost sure to start from this version, now that i know i can, because i want to make a endgame team on my first playthrough and after play the other two versions..

I have read that on revelations you can farm and grind even without dlc, that the difficulty is of the middle from conquest and
Birthright, is that true?

Gameplay wise is better than Birthright? i have seen that conquest have best maps and Birthright have more open kind maps like awakening (i really hate them.. )

I'm sorry about all my questions, but i will not have many hours to put on the game right now, due to work and real life :/

Revelations is just as long as the other two campaigns (29-ish chapters, including the ones before the choice). Speaking of which, after you pass a certain point in the story, you can use the "Branch of Fate" option, which allows you to skip the first several chapters and begin right at the point where you have to make a choice. (NOTE: If you do this, the difficulty of that playthrough will be the same as the last one that you played through the first several chapters on)

What i have to know before start revelations ?(classes, spoiler of story and more) , which benefits i have in this version (other than almost all the units of both the versions)

How much long it is, and is the story good?

What are the bad things of this version in comparison to the previous ones (some units not in here, bad maps and more) ?

Right now i'm almost sure to start from this version, now that i know i can, because i want to make a endgame team on my first playthrough and after play the other two versions..

I have read that on revelations you can farm and grind even without dlc, that the difficulty is of the middle from conquest and Birthright, is that true?

Gameplay wise is better than Birthright? i have seen that conquest have best maps and Birthright have more open kind maps like awakening (i really hate them.. )

- You can figure things out as you go (like what classes and weapons work for you)

- Unit balance in Revelations is highly questionable

- I'm going to keep mum on the story, because it's in your best interest to form your own opinion of it

- The later maps get pretty gimmicky (just. . .play the thing)

- Do NOT go for an endgame team first. Learn the system first. Otherwise, you'll stress yourself out.

- You can grind in-game in Revelations, and I'd say the difficulty is ever-so-slightly higher than Birthright

- I prefer Birthright's maps over Revelation's ones, because I felt that the latter got too gimmicky (again. . .just play the game)

tl;dr - Pick up the game and give it a shot, you're not doing yourself any favors by asking this many questions

2. Growths and final classes for the late game. However, you save money by grinding for skills other than repeadedly playing the Gold DLC. Plus, it gets really really expensive to buy all skills from the avatar logbook even if it's discounted.

3. It can, but it's pretty much praying for good level ups.

4. RNG is different this time around. No more true hit. Single RNG is calculated if the hit percentage is lower than 50%; this is to discourage dodgetanking. Hit above fifty is calculated (3*A+B)/4 where a and b are randomly generated numbers. This was found on the FE Reddit.

5. You can play Revelation automatically.

6. You can only tone down the difficulty anytime, you can't raise the difficulty as freely like Bravely Default.

1) Play on Casual first to get a feel for the game mechanics, characters, story, etc.

2) Other than classes and weapon durability, there's not much to explain. Attack/Guard Stance, otherwise called Pair Up in the localized versions, have been nerfed.

3) There isn't exactly a tier list, to my knowledge, but many people here have their own strategies and tips for optimizing their best army.

4) It's not recommended you start with Revelation. In fact, it's recommended that you play both Birthright and Conquest before playing Revelation. There's major spoilers for the first two routes. But, you do you.

5) Not really. It's a bit better than Birthright when it gets into late game, no spoilers.

6) Take advantage of whatever you can. Get Locktouch on any of your most durable units. Children are almost crucial for completion of the game. I'm not sure if Conquest has any female Corrinsexuals, so I recommend you play through first as a female character, or risk missing out on a child unit. Or if you do play as a male, marry a child. And if need be, buy the DLC. Get yourself a $35 card and buy both available map packs.

7) There's a way to grind (almost) endless amounts of gold with Merchants or the Spendthrift skill. Anna is also nice to have, but DLC costs money.

8) I personally like Soleil's conversation with Avatar.

I know that probably there will be or was been many topics like that, but i didn't find a general thread talking all the general questions i have in my mind right now..

1) Should i start conquest on hard or is better to start on normal?

I will only play it and revelations, i'm a oldschool player of FE series but i can barely manage to complete a game too much punishing (i'm thinking about lunatic/lunatic + without grinding/farming)

2) What mechanics are changed from Awakening other than the weapons triangle and the weapons durability? I still didn't manage to understand how class changes works in this game..

3) There is a tier list of best weapons/units?

4) Can i start revelation without finishing other games? (even if i only buyed other games but didn't finish them)

5) Is the story of conquest "that" bad?

6) Did you have any advice for my first playthrough?

7) There are secrets tips, or secrets map, or secrets farming/grinding tips on some chapters? (i have seen that there is a chapter in conquest where you can literally grind over characters because units go back and heals when they need..

8) Best supports conversations in conquest?

Thanks in advance for the reply

1) If you're going to jump right into Conquest, I would do Hard/Casual for many of the reasons others have stated. Conquest has some really tricky levels and some near the end are just painful. My lunatic/classic run forced me to walk away from the game for a day once.

2) Others have covered this. Basically, the Avatar can't be everything and it takes more strategy to earn certain classes. That said, using MyCastle battles, you can pretty much get any skill for the popular characters.

3) No such thing really, depends on how you want to play.

4) You can start on Revelation, but it pretty much ruins the other paths.

5) Yes, it's terrible. The gameplay is challenging and fun however.

6) Really consider carefully each action. Check the units you're attacking, really don't ever isolate a unit. Beware Ninjas, especially one with their poison strike skill.

7) I bought Map Pack 1 so I really didn't need any special tricks. Map Pack one is relatively cheap and you have your P2W money, exp, & item maps. This sorta breaks Conquest because a bit of grinding those can make things a LOT easier, but hey, you choose your own level of masochism.

8) Too many to list.

Also, and this is relevant for Conquest, look over every enemy unit, several times over if you must - some enemies may have a skill called Lunge, which allows them to swap spaces with your unit after attacking, which can result in a unit getting separated from the rest of your team. Unlike in Awakening, the children's paralogues scale according to where you are in the story.

EDIT: Spoileriffic as this is, this is something I'm not comfortable keeping mum on...

[spoiler=Birthright spoilers!]You need to have an A support between Kaze and Corrin before clearing chapter 15, else he'll die.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of stances and pair-ups:

Could someone please explain how the game decides who is the partner during battle if there are multiple allies are adjacent to the character that just got attacked?

Basic scenario: my unit that just got attacked has 3 other allies next to him / her. Who and why will be the partner during the fight?

I started to wonder when i was surrounded and attacked by wyverns and my healer jumped in as support, not my archer, who was also adjacent to the attacked one.

From what I've seen the game picks the unit who has the highest support level with the unit that just got attacked. If several units have the exact same support level I'd assume the game picks them in an arbitrary order.

Another thing to note that I have notice from my observation is if all have same support level or none but the one that can gain support which is most likely from the opposite gender.